• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lame Thoroughbred Is... Still Lame: Final Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's getting late in the summer but he might benefit from wearing fly boots whenever there is a fly in sight. If he doesn't have a reason to stomp then he won't bruise his feet up as much slamming them into the ground all day.

Comment

From the video, I think your horse looks lame on both fronts (intermittently) and on the right hind. Foot soreness would definitely be a good guess.

Comment

• Original Poster

I agree with the fronts. Those semi-canter strides he takes are new- the stiffness moving through the right is not new.

I've asked the vet to please, please consider coming out a little later in the day, and I think we might be able to work something out. I want to be considerate of his time, of course!!

Comment

The semi-canter steps you are referencing are an indicator of hind end lameness. Look closely at the right hind when he takes those steps. Put it on very slow motion if you can.

I hope the vet arrangement works out, but don't feel bad if you have to put it off a bit!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! I'll check it out. I don't have the world's best Lameness Eye, but I'm working on it.

I sent the video to the vet. Unfortunately, my guy is only occasionally well-behaved on the lunge, and never when the vet is present, so we had to skip that part of the lameness eval (with the exception of my guy cantering cheerfully around the arena, lunge line streaming out behind him, smirking after bolting away from the vet tech when she tried to lunge him). Since time was a consideration for that first visit, I had the choice of an EPM eval or to tack him up. I chose the EPM eval.

I'm super-sensitive about doing right by my critters, and I feel bad that my guy is probably uncomfortable, and I can't immediately fix it. He's not acting uncomfortable by pasture standards, but I can tell he's bored and missing his routine. The night I tacked him up for this video, he practically charged to the arena, excited and ready to go!

Comment

Have you tried putting hoof boots on him with pads? That's one way you might be able to see if it's foot soreness.

When I first took my horse barefoot I always rode him in hoof boots all around. If you stick pads in them too you might be able to make him more comfortable.

I also recommend Magic Cushion. It's been very helpful for my horse.
              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

We had him in Easy Boots last year with pads- one of things we tried was to keep him in those through the summer, since he was literally crumbling his feet stomping on the hard ground.

They worked until they stretched out, and then I got a great workout searching for them. The vet, farrier, and I decided to abandon them at that point.

I'm willing to try anything, but reluctant to buy something that's going to stretch out and disappear in the pasture. Are there any other hoof boots that would work better?

Comment

• Original Poster

Update

Vet will be coming out next Tuesday. Adequan was given last night.

Upon lunging him last night, he was looking awful on his front right... then worked out of it.

My paranoid self has built this up to be absolutely enormous, so if there are any available jingles that this is something treatable, that would be just super. Horsey is bored, bored, bored, and his cribbing has picked up. Hearing him call out when I take the Appy down to the arena to work is definitely on the sadder noises I've heard this week.

Comment

For starters I'd get a new farrier. Sounds like the current farrier is taking from the bottom, which this horse can ill afford given that he's sore after every trim. And put shoes on the horse. Bet you anything he's got thin soles, will always have thin soles, and just needs shoes.

Being footsore can greatly aggravate the upper joints, starting with the ankles.

Comment

Originally posted by erniewalker View Post
                      Vet will be coming out next Tuesday. Adequan was given last night.

Upon lunging him last night, he was looking awful on his front right... then worked out of it.

My paranoid self has built this up to be absolutely enormous, so if there are any available jingles that this is something treatable, that would be just super. Horsey is bored, bored, bored, and his cribbing has picked up. Hearing him call out when I take the Appy down to the arena to work is definitely on the sadder noises I've heard this week.
                      Most lamenesses are treatable, one way or another, once you figure out the cause. Not all horses are going to be pictures of perfect soundness, even on their best days. You do what you can do and work within the limits the horse presents to you. I agree that this sounds hoof related, and that perhaps it would be worth trying a new farrier and putting the horse in shoes (perhaps the glue ons I mentioned previously). But the first step is the vet, and you've got that squared away.

In the video, I mostly thought your horse looked footsore. There are lots of ways to deal with foot soreness. X-rays are not that expensive, so perhaps get some shots of his feet and some shots of the fetlock that seems to be giving him trouble.

Comment

magically moving foot sore signs

my experience, had lameness vet out for same issue with a young horse. Was told absolutely had to have shoes, at very least on front. Foot conformation was the issue and correct trimming was not going to help his particular issues when competing in sport. 2 years later, never looked back. Has been sound and showing every since the first time with shoes. He absolutely would not be happy with out the support. Just my experience good luck

Comment

• Original Poster

I would be thrilled if it wasn't something life-threatening. Shoes are on my list of things that can be high-maintenance and a pain, but won't kill my horse. Now that he actually has some foot, shoes may be a possibility. Both the farrier and vet agree that his feet show a lot of new growth- he still has event rings from his past neglect and the issues we've had in the past year.

Comment

Try to keep calm - he doesn't look life-threateningly horrible in the videos, and you said he seems fine in turnout. I'd think the absolute WORST case scenario you are looking at right this very moment is retirement, and I would even bet you are not looking at that.

Comment

Farrier

The problem looks parallel to the one I had with a shelley footed TB. The problem disappeared after I found a farrier that could actually shoe TB's. Trust me they are few and far between. Shoes are mandatory on my boy, he just cannot take three sound steps without them.

Comment

Well my guy had the same problem up front. X-ray showed pedal ostietis (sp) frog support pads and a regular shoe and all should be ok. The degeneration of the coffin bone can remodel itself once the concussion on hard ground stops.

Comment

Small point here......part of the reason his feet are not of great quality is that he is not getting enough vitamins and minerals from his feed. A 1000 lbs horse needs 2.5 - 5 lbs of Nutrena Safe Choice to get the amount of vitamins needed.

Comment

• Original Poster

I doubt he would be as chubby as he is on just 1.5 pounds of grain. That should have read "1.5 scoops/3lb scoop." He's getting about 4lbs of grain each day.

Plus turn out, hay, and supplements.

Comment

• Original Poster

The Completely Boring Conclusion

Last week I popped a shot of Adequan into my horse, with a message from the receptionist at the vet clinic that "it probably won't work if he's THAT lame." (She's super-cheerful in that not-at-all sort of way.)

I also sent the vet the same video I posted here, which the receptionist said "the vet probably won't be able to see anything." Again, she's a real peach. She's new- the rest of the staff is phenomenal.

Two days after I gave him the Adequan, he lunged out beautifully. Big lofty trot, and even cantered without looking like he was going to fall over.

Four days after I gave him the Adequan, he was back to playing and bolting and bucking on the lungeline, bored to tears.

Yesterday the vet came out and started with the flex tests. Horse trotted out sound. Flexed again. Horse trotted out sound. Had me lunge him. Horse trotted out sound.

The vet delivered the bad news: "There's not enough lameness for me to do a nerve block. I was really working him over with the flex, and he responded with a little ouch in the left front ankle area, but that was at the peak of the flex." He recommended an Adequan regimen- we're starting at once a month. He noted that is NOT the loading dose, but that, given how much improvement we saw from just one shot, we'd start small. He cited a few different studies as to how different doses have difference levels of efficacy in different horses.

So we sat around and talked about my horse's overall health, since I was already paying for an hour of his time. Horse took a cat nap standing in the arena.

I asked about shoes, and the vet said that yes, he finally had enough hoof to do it. He said that with my horse's Special Feet, it might take him a few cycles to not get used to them, and they might make him more footsore, but we could give it a whirl. He pulled up my horse's feet and showed me the different things to look for- apparently my guy has a very nice looking heel and wide frog- and what we might look to improve with shoeing. His event rings are still indicating some of the hardships he went through at the last barn, but overall, his feet are healthy enough to shoe.

We talked about different exercises to strengthen him and his various ouchy spots, and then he checked his teeth for good measure, gave the horse a pat and hug, and set off.

All that anxiety, and it turned out to just be the arthritis. I know arthritis is a big deal (heck, I have it, so I know how much it hurts), but compared to all the horrible things I had in mind? I'll take it!

Comment

Personally, I love boring conclusions of this sort! Glad to hear your guy isn't terminal.
                                        http://www.foxhuntingfriesian.blogspot.com
                                        http://www.isherwoodstudios.blogspot.com

Comment

• Original Poster

I was aaalllllmost embarrassed. I'm very grateful that I sent the vet the video I posted here, because he was able to see and recognise the same lameness I saw, and subsequently confirm that he looks LOADS better now.

Any vet appointment where the horse is so bored he sleeps is OK in my book! We all joked about those "hot-tempered, dangerous OTTBs" while my guy just snoozed contentedly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X