• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse vs.Gate..the Gate officially won-why stall rest if walking increases blood flow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse vs.Gate..the Gate officially won-why stall rest if walking increases blood flow

About 2 months ago my horse somehow decided to wrangle with the gate..

Exhibit 1:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

All seemed well, he had some war wounds but that about it, all looked superficial. A day or two later we noticed some swelling on the top half of his left front. We palpitated it with no reaction, horse was sound. So we immediately cold hosed and sweated the swelling and it started to go down. We gave him 2 weeks off and he was good to go. We headed to some shows, made our qualifications for a stakes class, all in all a really good turnout.

Tuesday, we had probably the BEST lesson yet. We were jumping and for once my Jumper went around an entire course like a seasoned hunter! It was a long time coming and I was so excited, actually planned on going to a hunter show in 2 weeks to give it a go.

Yesterday, we had a dressage lesson. Along with doing the hunter/jumpers, I was trying to expand Forrest's career and attempt to do some cross country events, hopefully next year, so we were taking a dressage lesson to see how he would take it. Forrest was lame and the tendon was swollen all over again. I called the vet for an ultrasound.

Verdict, his check ligament is VERY swollen. She said that while it wasn't the most important ligament, she has cut many before on horses, it does cause pain. But the underlying factor was that Forrest had a very small tear dropped black shape on the upper part of his suspensory, closest to back of leg. I was devastation. I know its not the end of the world and horses come back from these all the time, but I have spend 2.5 years getting him healthy and battling his SI injury to build to muscle to support him. We were FINALLY hitting the point everything was connecting and we were starting to hit the three top colors in our classes. We had plans for a Greg Best clinic and finishing our season with the TCHS, which all is out.

Forrest has to be on stall rest for about 4mths (min). I can only hope his best attribute, bouncing back fast, will kick in full gear for this not fun adventure. I have never dealt with this before, so if anyone has any tips, supplements, exercises, etc that have helped them that would be great. I'm really down and out right now and just plan sad

Some additional information was that it was a lateral tear versus a vertical, not sure that makes a difference, and his lameness, biggest wuss anywhere, was a mild 2.
    Last edited by cswoodlandfairy; Aug. 30, 2012, 12:35 PM.
    Calm & Collected, 13, OTTB
    Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 17, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 29, TB
    Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I currently have one on stall rest (week 2) with a superficial tendon injury.
    Right now we are still in the cold hosing and full stall rest, but the vet has said he is ok to walk outside to where we have the hose set up. I have found this little bit of walking and change of scenery is really helping him. He is a good guy about stall rest, but even still it sucks.
    We have cut back his feed to stop him getting hot.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Sport! Luckily my guy is really laid back and very independent.

But that brought up another question I have...

I know that stall rest is important because it limits the horses movement. But I also know everyone says walking is the best thing because it increases blood flow as they move, which in turn would help heal the tendons.

Being that my horse is very laid backed and doesn't gallop or do anything dumb in the field, would turnout be better for him?

Right now he's most definitely on stall rest so we can get the inflammation down and get him "sound" again (yes I know sound doesn't mean healed), but once its down, wouldn't it be better that hes out, if anything in an injury paddock?

May be a dumb question, but curious since its my first experience with this.

Also do the Horseware Ice-Vibe boots help?

Comment

I didn't ask the vet about turnout, but she brought it up. She said that although they want handwalking, in Sport's case starting week 3, turnout was not an option.
        Her feeling is that if something startles them they respond without remembering that they are injured, and that this can happen to even the quietest horse.
        So controlled movement was her suggestion.
        Worth discussing with your vet though and maybe someone else will chime in with suggestions.

I started a topic here in health care last week looking for information about tendon injuries and got some good advice regarding cold hosing and icing and such. The topic is likely on the second or third page by now.

I am not sure about the boots, I am still figuring that all out. I am currently cold hosing 3 to 4 times as day and then a furacin sweat overnight. I was using ice packs, but I needed to be there to put the wraps over (I don't have ice boots), so it was easier to have someone else cold hose during the day. Not sure what I will do when the barn rats go back to school next week. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by cswoodlandfairy View Post
          Being that my horse is very laid backed and doesn't gallop or do anything dumb in the field, would turnout be better for him?
          There's no such thing a what you describe. Even the most laid back, easy going horse has the potential to do something whether due to their own brain or something random like a bee sting or other freak-out-producing stimulus.

It's not the 99% of the time out that's bad, it's the one bad step or decision that sets you back to square one. And it may not even be in the acute phase of the injury, it could happen right in that time where things are starting to heal and the horse feels better and then....bam, back to square one.

Comment

It might be worth looking into a Game Ready. My trainer has one and uses it on her schoolmaster (windpuffs/random swelling in old age), a horse that's coming back from a stressed tendon, and a pony who has tweaked his back and was sore in his hind legs. She also uses it on her FEI horse from time to time.

If he does start to get restless and destructive, ask your vet about potentially putting him on a sedative. Horse mentioned above with the tendon injury needed one to keep him from walking circles too much and being a spaz when taken out for hand walks.

http://gamereadyequine.com/
            runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

Yep, controlled exercise only. Really. Speaking from personal experience, my horse re-injured himself with just a simple wrong step quite late in the recovery process.

Comment

Risk vs. benefit. While modest exercise MAY help healing by POSSIBLY increasing blood flow (this is not necessarily a given in all situations) the chances of making things worse outweighs the potential benefits.

An adult human with a ligament injury is not kept in bed because he/she can rationally understand the need to avoid risky behavior. A horse just can't.

Other than in the case of fracture or really dreadful injuries, most vets give the OK for very brief, very limited, very controlled "sanity walks" daily.
                Click here before you buy.

Comment

It's not to increase blood flow - at least not from what I've read. The controlled exercise of walking puts a little bit of strain on the injury and it helps the new fibres get laid down along the tendon instead of randomly in all directions. This produces a more flexible and stronger scaring than the random clump. Which in turn means a reduced chance of reinjury.

At least that's what I understood about the reason for handwalking...

Comment

Note have not ever dealt with a suspensory, only check ligament injuries.

My vet has always said where ever he will stay the most quiet.
                    She wanted him moving for the reason RedHorses posted but most certainly did not want him causing more damage.

Comment

Yes, there is a point at which new collagen needs to be laid down in an injured tendon/ligament, and putting the limb under controlled stress with progressive weight bearing (usually on a firm surface) can help the new collagen develop a good, usable matrix that is long and parallel and tough.

But in the very early stages of injury, that's not what the main concern is.

Comment

of course ask your vet, but for the injured horses I have had they have been worse on "stall rest" than in a small private paddock. Actual stall rest means they are in a stall. In the barn. Away from their friends.Even with one buddy kept in with them. And resulted in stall walking, which was worse than limited turnout. Mine have done better being quiet in a tiny paddock off the barn (solo turnout) next to their buddies where they can see them.
                        Providence Farm
                        http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

Actual stall rest means they are in a stall. In the barn. Away from their friends.Even with one buddy kept in with them. And resulted in stall walking, which was worse than limited turnout.
                          For sure that is not the optimal situation. I am SO lucky to have my own barn where I have configured 2 of my stalls into a large foaling/rehab stall (12 x 24 feet) and that stall has two doors that open out to the sacrifice paddock where most of my horses hang out. So a "confinee" has a little more room, gets to stick his or her head out and be with the group, who generally like to hang out right there since that's their shaded horse porch.

I even hang hay bags close to these two doors so the horses can share hay bags, and one of mine (sadly on stall rest WAY too much the last couple of years) enjoys fighting for hay with his buddies just as if he were outside.

The problem comes when I turn the group out on grass and the confined one is left behind. At that point closing the two Dutch doors worked best, leaving him room to see the group out of the barn door via the windows and fronts of the stalls but no temptation to rush/batter down the doors to get out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Great! Thanks for the comments.

Forrest does a lot of walking in his stall when hes out of hay and bored. Unfortunately we don't have anyone else to stay in with him, but his stall faces the field the others are kept and I know they come up to hang out often because its also where we keep the water. But when we hand graze him all hes concerned about is grass, which is why i wondered if the cripple pen would be best because it boarders the field with water and hes got grass, heaven forbid he starves to death.

But we are most definitely keep him in until further notice. I cold hose it, then give it a break (usually clean his stall and feed him in another) then ice it for 10 minutes. Once the leg is iced we take a long walk around the large pasture and back into the stall. There are some grazing moments in between. He's been very good, but then again its only day 2.....

The vet is coming back out in 6 weeks to re-scan, but she told me to hand walk and graze him often...so this is our plan

Comment

I would not say he is so quiet outside after seeing the pretzel shape he left that gate in after he tangled with it.

Do run by your vet about a little pen, maybe four 12' panels, that you can make outside.
                              You can keep him there for a few hours a day of still confined in space, but outside and not in a stall alone.

Comment

I went through a month of stall rest for my horse not too long ago. Vet said 15-20 minutes/day of hand walking; could graze on lead rope in not too open area. I had some ace which i only gave orally a couple times, but for the most part the horse cared only about eating! Had to hand walk in the ring as she would.not.walk. in the grass - only eat.

Also I invested in a nibble net - they aren't cheap but really help slow down/stretch out the horse's feeding. And because they get turned around backwards, also give said horse some entertainment. It also seems (relatively) indestructible.

Even the month was a long haul; so OP you have my sympathies....Hang in there.
                                We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Years ago one of our guys had bilateral front suspensory lesions and a deep digital flexor tendon bow. On stall rest, he kicked out the sturdy stall wall. Our vet advised paddock rest, and he recovered fully.

If we ever build another barn, I want a configuration like Deltawave described. I think we could have done stall rest if he had a 12x24 stall and a way to interact with his friends. The paddock, with an attached stall, was our best option. I don't think I ever saw him run around in the paddock.

Comment

Working...
                                  X