• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sudden Lameness - WWY Suspect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden Lameness - WWY Suspect?

[FYI: The vet has been consulted and will be evaluating Gus on Friday.]

Anyone know what could cause, or what the meaning behind, sudden lameness in a front hoof/leg would mean? [Cause I know everyone online is psychic and all.] Especially when it's presented with two to three (unsure exactly how many, as it was hard to clip the area) small puncture-wound like cuts?

Abscess was my first thought. As of last week, lameness was only visibly noticeable at the trot ... you can hear a "hiccup" when he's walking on concrete, but it's not readily apparent. In addition to the wounds/cuts, Gus also has some heat in that left front (fetlock area) and he's landing outside to inside (instead of heel to toe). He has otherwise been sound for the last few months (has major stifle issues/arthritis) and the only known issue with the fronts (least at the present time) is that we're shoeing him as if he has navicular. He's been sound since we starting doing that.

Two years ago Gus presented himself lame in the exact same scenario. I can't remember the outcome, but it took months to bring him around again - at that time it was nearly 100% due to trim/shoeing issues and likely laminitis (we're assuming this, after the fact). It took almost a year to bring his hooves back to what's "normal" - or at least in this case what works for Gus. They aren't textbook perfect, but they are (or had been until just the last week) working for him and allowing him to have a job of toting me around a few times a week.

Photos are available ... let me know if anyone wants me to post.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Snake bite? Infection?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

Some kind of bite snake or some other animal. Is he upto date on tetanus and rabies?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by sassy45 View Post
        Some kind of bite snake or some other animal. Is he upto date on tetanus and rabies?
        Yep. Had both done this spring (vaccines, that is). In our area, we do have snakes ... but they are the harmless garden snake variety, least for the most part. And they are NUMEROUS at the barn - never seen any in the paddocks though. I'll have to look into that (uggh and I HATE snakes!).
        See G2's blog
        Photos

Comment

We have alot of skunks were we live not sure a skunk would bite a horse but guess its possible. I see them during the day time hubby shoots the ones that are out during the day.

Plus we have tons of bats too so my horses are vaccinated for rabies dont want to take a chance.A picture might be helpful.

Comment

• Original Poster

Here's a couple photos:

side shot

close-up

another close-up

I'll try for better shots tonight along with some video of him walking oddly ... if he's still doing that.
            See G2's blog
            Photos

Comment

That doesnt look like any kind of bite maybe he cut him self on something.

Just wondering where in mn do you live? And who do you use for a farrier? Can PM me this info if you dont want it public. I would disclose where i live in mn and who i use for a farrier. Would PM you though dont care to have everyone knowing where i live. And who my farrier is.

Comment

I would say that he was trying to gravel out of his coronary area.
                Does he have a pulse?
                I'd put a soaking bandage on him.

Comment

Originally posted by QM2 View Post
                  Does he have a pulse?
                  If he doesn't, the OP sure has bigger things to worry about!
                  "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
                    If he doesn't, the OP sure has bigger things to worry about!
                    Haha. Yep, pretty sure he's got a pulse but pretty sure there isn't one present in the hoof (least not that I was able to feel). Still has what seems to be heat and swelling in the left front fetlock area. Looking at a map of tendons/ligaments, it's like the area of where that superficial digital flexor tendon meets the annular ligament, on the back of the fetlock. Seems to be a slight amount of fluid buildup in that area (less yesterday though the what the BO/Trainer felt on Monday when she lunged him to see how he was looking). I guess we'll see what the vet says.

We're now leaning towards the possibility of a sprung shoe (or attempts were made to spring the shoe). He's VERY MUCH lame now on that left front, but still (thankfully) only at the trot.

New photos do seem to confirm that too much of a gap is present between the bottom of the hoof and the top of the shoe. The other shoe lies flush. So, who knows? Now we're curious as to if a small piece of gravel/sand/dirt/debris worked up into that area between the sole and the shoe and is causing issues. In his older age, Gus is becoming more and more sensitive.
                    See G2's blog
                    Photos

Comment

Perhaps he caught his foot somewhere and the shoe is now 'sprung".

Normally would suspect possible abscess with sudden lameness. but The cuts and scrapes may suggest something other than abscess unless they are exit places - have you tried pressing your thumb in them.

Comment

Those cuts (punctures?) are in the hairy part. According to the rules, calling your vet was the right thing to do.

The rules are:

If it's hairy, call a vet.

If its horny, call a farrier.

Might want to investigate your paddocks and stalls see if you can find some kind of suspicious sharp object that your horse might have caught himself on. Nails have a tendency to "grow out" of fence/barn boards over time. I've seen numerous injuries to lower limbs as a result of this phenomena.

Good luck.

Comment

Is there any heat in the area and does he get upset if you mess with it?

I would suspect more is going on here looking at his feet and shoeing package. Long toes/underrun heels and from what I've read... someone please correct me if I'm wrong... Putting a horse with underrun heels in an eggbar shoe can put more pressure on them exacerbating the issue.
                          Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                          Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
                          "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

Originally posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
                            Putting a horse with underrun heels in an eggbar shoe can put more pressure on them exacerbating the issue.
                            Nothing personal, but . . .
                            If you (the rhetorical you) put the egg bar shoes on the feet it may/might exacerbate the issue. If I put the egg bar shoes in the horse it will help the issue. Difference between attaching shoes to feet and shoeing horses.

Comment

In this case Tom, it seems the shoes have not been applied by you and I'm not a farrier so yeah... if I put the shoes on the horse it would probably be a disaster.

Too much heel and toe on this horse IMO. I would be worried (especially since navicular has been mentioned) that this horse could have or has a good chance of developing heel pain the future.

Not trying to hijack your thread OP... sorry!
                              Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                              Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
                              "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

If its horny, call a farrier

Comment

If it's hairy, call a vet.

If its horny, call a farrier.
                                  That reads hilariously dirty, Tom.
                                  What if it's hairy and horny?
                                  (next comment deleted, kids read this BB)

My thought would be he caught his hoof on something...scraped it and yanked the shoe.

Either screwing around and stepping on himself...another horse stepping on him or he found a spot where he could wedge a shoe/hoof and yanked it out. Maybe?
                                  You jump in the saddle,
                                  Hold onto the bridle!
                                  Jump in the line!
                                  ...Belefonte

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone (and for the good laugh Tom).

Well, vet was out yesterday and by the time she saw Gus, she had used up all her film (small practice, still shoots old school rads). So she was only able to get one lateral shot of the LF. That one view showed a potential lip at the top of the P1 (not sure what that means ... waiting to hear back from the vet again).

Per her email, he tested negative to the hoof testers (yea!) but reacted strongly to flexions in the fetlock (was fine with flexions at the knee and higher).

So, it's possible that it is just a soft tissue injury (as evident with the swelling/heat at the back of the fetlock) cause by who knows what. But it's also possible that something else is going on.

Anyways, I asked the vet a billion more questions about if she sees any changes in the P1 from 2010 -2012 (I've had x-rays done of the LF in May 2010 and January 2011 - granted they were hoof x-rays, but still showed the P1) and what her thoughts are. Next step is to give him some bute for a week or so, to see if that makes a difference at all.

I'm still thinking the shoe and the scraps on the coronet band have something to do with this whole situation.
                                    See G2's blog
                                    Photos

Comment

Working...
                                    X