• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Update, Nicky Corrigan's fractured femur - rays of hope?- advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update, Nicky Corrigan's fractured femur - rays of hope?- advice please

The fracture is of the third trochanter. I finally got a good look at what that piece is here http://users.skynet.be/Road_Rebel/St...osteologie.pdf

it;'s not associated with a joint which sounds good but I guess it does protrude specifically BECAUSE the process is attached to such a strong gluteal muscle.

has anyone had any experience with an avulsion fracture of the third trochanter?

Any suggestions about things that will support healing? calcification of the bone? reattachment? anything?
    Last edited by tisor; Aug. 16, 2012, 02:59 PM.
  • Original Poster

crickets??

wow, I hear crickets. So that's not good.

How about this: Does anyone know where i can rent shockwave equipment?

Comment

Sorry I have no experience with any of that but so sorry you are having to deal with it. I hope your horse heals quickly!
      ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

Best wishes for your horse. I wish I had good advice or knowledge on this subject but I don't.

It would be nice if you could keep us posted with what you learn. It looks pretty scary to have a fracture on the femur. Is it a small fracture? Will it require surgery? How was it diagnosed?

Sorry for just questions and no answers.
        "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Originally posted by PeteyPie View Post
          Best wishes for your horse. I wish I had good advice or knowledge on this subject but I don't.

It would be nice if you could keep us posted with what you learn. It looks pretty scary to have a fracture on the femur. Is it a small fracture? Will it require surgery? How was it diagnosed?

Sorry for just questions and no answers.
          Just found your original post so ignore my questions. They are mostly answered there!
          "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Your location might help other COTHers help you find a treatment protocol, or possibly someone who has familiarity with this type of injury.
            Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh I assumed my location was posted. I'm in San Francisco, horse is in Petaluma 45 min North of San Francisco

fracture is an avulsion fracture of third trochanter which is NOT in the joint but an insertion point for a gluteal muscle

Comment

Surgical reattachment is really the only option. I am sorry, but in humans this is the only treatment that has relative success. Otherwise there is a litany of complications and conditions that will prevent the fracture from ever healing.

While in humans these fractures can heal rapidly without surgery, the patient is required to keep the limb immobile for 3 weeks of more. That is impossible for a horse.

I would get the horse to Davis and get a true orthopaedic consultation.

Comment

From OP's previous thread on this horse, it sounds as if he is/was at Davis for the diagnosis etc

Comment

• Original Poster

surgery?

Yes this was diagnosed at Davis using Ultrasound, bone scan and xray. The vet said that they can't correct it surgically because the gluteal muscle will pull out any screws or plates.

Comment

• Original Poster

I have the hardest time even finding ANY literature abouyt this fracture because it's so rare.

But I just read this and it gave me hope - which might be bad:

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/aaep...0102000387.pdf

Fracture or Enthesopathy of the Third Trochanter
                      of the Femur

Fracture of the third trochanter of the femur is a
                      relatively unusual injury, resulting in acute-onset,
                      severe lameness that often improves quite
                      rapidly with box rest. In a lean, poorly muscled
                      horse it may be possible to elicit pain by palpation,
                      but in a well-muscled warmblood type this is usually
                      not possible. There are no particular gait characteristics.
                      Nuclear scintigraphy is particularly valuable
                      for tentative diagnosis of a fracture.
                      There is intense, focal IRU (Fig. 16). Diagnosis
                      may be confirmed radiographically, but good-quality
                      radiographs can only be achieved under general anesthesia.
                      Fractures are often longitudinal, occurring
                      at the base of the trochanter. There is usually
                      minimal displacement. Diagnostic ultrasonography
                      has not been useful in my experience in helping
                      to confirm the presence of a fracture. It is possible
                      that some horses with IRU in the region of the third
                      trochanter have enthesopathy of the attachment of
                      the superficial gluteal muscles, but I have not been
                      able to confirm this ultrasonographically. Treatment
                      is box rest for 2 mo, followed by walking exercise
                      for another month. Healing may occur by
                      either osseous or fibrous union. Prognosis is good

Comment

Don't forget these authors are real people, find contact information & call/email until you get a reply, ask if vet will look at your case

Have case history ready to fax, attach to email etc - do you already have the Davis results on CD etc?

Comment

• Original Poster

I just got off the phone with my horse's normal vet. He hasn't seen many of these cases either. It just IS super rare. BUT, he said he'd have suggested TWO months stall and then out to pasture. we're going to do three months and take a look. he's also in favor of shockwave and PRP.

The question is whether it heals through ossification (bone creation and fusion) or by the fibrous union mentioned in that extract. Fibrous won't be as strong and is also the more likely way it will heal. Odds are greater that we won't be able to jump him ever (still so heartbreaking - he never even started) but he also might. we just have to see how it heals.

He also said that id I just turned him out on pasture it would heal, but we want it to heal "right".

So... fingers crossed?

Here is his xray btw, you can really see it top left

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Comment

Originally posted by tisor View Post
                            Yes this was diagnosed at Davis using Ultrasound, bone scan and xray. The vet said that they can't correct it surgically because the gluteal muscle will pull out any screws or plates.
                            What if they used botox to relax the muscle while it heals? Botox is used for relaxing spastic or tight muscles for people.
                            "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

Originally posted by alto View Post
                              Don't forget these authors are real people, find contact information & call/email until you get a reply, ask if vet will look at your case

Have case history ready to fax, attach to email etc - do you already have the Davis results on CD etc?
                              This. Totally.

Consult the experts, don't just read what they've published. TALK to them.

Comment

My TB gelding fractured his third trochanter a few years ago when he had a trailer accident. He was diagnosed on bone scan as he had a persistant, grade 3 lameness that would not block out wth nerve blocks. In his case we did 2 months stall rest, then 2 months small paddock. We also shockwaved and injected local steroids. He healed fully from that injury. The prognosis is actually quite good for these with stall rest, etc as is horses the fragments tend to not displace much. We actually bone scanned him again later as he was lame from a suspensory injury and before we did surgery we wanted to confirm the femur had healed. It was fully healed on the second bone scan

Comment

• Original Poster

oh i like the sound of that jr eventer. does your horse lie down a lot? i'm worried that will be an issue.

and ptwonet i like the sound of botox! why not! has anyone done this succefully? wouldnt he then be in danger of pulling some other thing that would have to replace that muscle?

and yes, i have the DVDs from davis and am sending those to local vets.

Comment

I saw your original post but have not been able to post on COTH (new computer glitch) until recently.

Yes, my mare fractured her femur. I will find the actual location.

In a stall for 6 months. She was smart. Would only lay down with her good leg underneath her.

It was a crapshoot...but, she recovered to full soundness. No bute, nothing that could mask the problem for her and I believe that allowed her to be careful.

Was terrified she'd founder on the opposite hind as for the first month, she would keep the fractured leg literally off the ground for much of the day.

I'll check the exact location and get back to you.
                                    www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                                    "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                                    Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

Ugh. I so totally feel for you. My horse has an avulsion fracture of the proximal suspensory origin and he's on stall rest.

I'm in Santa Rosa so close to you. Curious who you work with locally. Have you talked to Tom Yarbrough? He's a surgeon and that guy is da bomb for challenging stuff. Worth getting him on the phone and picking his brain.

I've been hauling my lame horse down to Riverside to see Dr. Smith and do shockwave. He comes up from GGF once a week. Anyway, he's another source of info and very good.

As far as other support goes, the advice I got was to test my hay & get a nutritional consult and make sure my horse's diet was as balanced as possible, to support his body's ability to heal itself. I'm also giving him the herb comfrey, which is also known as 'boneset' or 'knit bone' per another consult.

PM me if you want. Maybe we can form a North Bay support group, LOL.

PS, be sure to ask about the difference between radial and focused shockwave and which is best for your horse.
                                      Last edited by Watermark Farm; Sep. 13, 2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Sorry just saw this.
                                        Yes my guy laid down a lot! He is a very, very mellow gelding who loves to sleep and eat, and eat while laying down Really with this injury the vets were not concerned with him laying down. We were concerned with recovering him from anesthesia if it wasn't healed (since anethesia recovery can be very rough) but the second bone scan 6 months after the initial one showed it was fully healed. He returned to full work from this injury. Unfortunately his suspensories did not hold up but that is a different story!

Comment

Working...
                                        X