• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I just want to cry (fetlock chip). Update 12/20 post #49

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things are sounding better...

On turnout, how small is small? When my mare came off stall rest after her suspensory surgery, her "paddock" was made out of 6 stock panels, which meant it was about twice the size of her stall. The first thing she did (after eating hay) was roll; she's a smart girl and won't roll in her stall, and after 6 weeks she must have been very itchy. She did get a cut on one leg from an unnoticed sharp edge on one stock panel, so we booted her after that. But in general, that "paddock" was small enough that she couldn't get up to much trouble. (Oh, and she got tranqs, too...)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Things are looking better now and I may have panicked prematurely. By 24 hours after he hurt himself he was about 95% improved. The joint is still a little puffy and warm but it's not too bad. With the exception of an abscess, I've never in my life seen a horse so dead lame recover so quickly.

I just really underestimated his excitement at being turned out. Like I said, we've been through this before (totally unrelated injury) and he came off a month of stall rest without so much as a fart. I'm back to hand walking right now and my usually mellow gelding has got a chain over his nose and is all puffed up and full of himself. He's minding his manners but it's a struggle for him to do so.

I did turn him loose in the indoor last night. All he did in there was roll once then look at me through the window on the door while I cleaned his stall as if to say "come on, don't just leave me here". My plan for this weekend is to give him ace toward the higher side of the dose, hand walk in the indoor until he's calm, take him out and hand graze to make sure he's really under the influence, then, if I think he's going to behave, hand walk in the paddock, then possibly turn him loose. I may turn him loose again in the indoor but it seems he knows that's where he goes to work, not play.

If he's not ready we'll walk some more. After the 1 month light turnout he gets to have a month of his regular turn out to just start getting some exercise and be a horse for a while before he can start back in work. I'm looking forward to that.
      "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

Glad it is looking better than first thought.
        I know the paniced feeling well. You think they are on the road to recovery and then they do something stupid and you feel like you are starting all over again.

Jingling that he behaves himself and can soon be back to regular turnout.

Comment

The last time he came off stall rest what season was it? He might be a bit more peppy then last time due to it being cool out depending on where you are.

Glad for a quick recovery and jingles!

Comment

Is there any grass in that small paddock ?

I've had luck giving my horse a flake of really good alfalfa hay when she needs to be quiet in turnout after an injury. She only gets that as a treat, or on the trailer as bait, and she really likes it. When it's gone, then she comes in before she gets bored.

If you put that out there for him to munch on , maybe he'll be distracted and won't feel the need to have an explosion like that ? And maybe put it in a few little piles so he wanders around to eat it ? Then bring him in when it's gone.

Anyway, glad that he is improved after the mishap ... they really do try every way possible to give you a heart attack, don't they ??

Comment

• Original Poster

Update Nov 28

Well it seems that I did over react last month when I put him out and he carried on until he came up lame. I don't know for sure what he did but he jogged sound again in a couple of days.

So I gave up on trying to turn him out in the small paddock alone and just did hand walking and hand grazing for an hour a day or more. The last two weeks I paid one of the young women at the barn to walk him so that some days he was up to an hour and a half.

He started on the last part of his rehab almost two weeks ago. I aced him a little more heavily, hand walked like I had been, took him out to his pasture and hand grazed for a few minutes. Most of his pasture mates were gone for the day so there were only two other horses out. I thought I'd be all ninja stealthy and bent down and quietly unclipped the lead shank. Took him all of about 3 seconds to realize he was loose. He took off like a shot, galloped around for a few minutes, bucked a bit, then pretty much settled down to eat.

I don't know if he'll stay sound under saddle but at least he looks OK now.

Everyone who see's him during the day tells me that he's running, bucking, and playing a lot. He has never done that before, maybe a short canter or a little buck but that's it. I've owned him three years and he has always had the reputation of being the slowpoke, the horse who is more worried about eating than he is playing.

This level of activity is very unlike him. I hope I'm not in for a wild ride when his rehab is over.

I wonder if he's had some sort of sub-chronic irritation going on all along. It seems almost impossible to believe that it could have been going on for three years without overt lameness but I guess I'll never know.
              "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

Great news, hopefully he's just happy for his freedom and will be a gem once you get him under saddle

Comment

Awesome news. Never underestimate the power of small irritations though.
                  Sport had a melanoma on his hock. It was small, didn't seem to be bothering anything. It grew over time, as did his attitude, but we never connected the 2.
                  He had it removed almost 2 years ago and it was like I brought home a new horse.
                  I wish I had pushed to have it removed years ago.

Comment

• Original Poster

Back under saddle

I got on my horse for the first time since his September surgery a week ago. While I'm no where near ready to say he's sound, so far everything has looked OK.

We're doing half an hour of light work that consists of about 25 minutes of walk and 5 minutes of trot spread out through the walk work. I have asked him for a canter depart just to see if I have any resistance with either lead (I only let him canter 3 or 4 strides). So far he's willing to pick up either lead.

What is really strange to me is that he is coming out much more forward than he ever was. He's had time off before, but even after several months of not working he's never started back this forward. He'll always be a push rather then a pull model but I'm starting to think it's more than coincidence at this point. He was on a full month of his regular turnout prior to returning to work so he's had plenty of time to blow off any extra steam and even after a week of riding he's maintaining this extra willingness to go forward. He's as quiet and steady as he always has been, just moves out better.

He's also doing a lot more outside in turnout. I've owned him three years and he always used to hang back from the herd. Close enough to see them but 50 or so feet away from them. Now if they're running he's right there in the thick of it. I frequently get to the barn to hear "your horse gallops up to the gate every day now", or "your horse followed me around the fence doing his big trot." This is new for him.

So I'll keep legging him up and see what happens. I figure it's going to take at least a hundred rides with no problems before I start to believe that we may have significantly helped him.

Five down, 95 to go.

I have put him on Pentosan. I've done the 4 week loading dose and I am planning on doing a maintenance dose. What are some common dosing regimens? I was thinking of doing twice monthly for a while and if that goes well maybe going to a once a month dose. I'll discuss it with my vet but am just looking for some general info.

Comment

This sounds very good...

Comment

It sounds like he's feeling good! I think you're right about this not being a coincidence. He's probably one of those stoic fellows that tries not to show he's uncomfortable and now with the chip removed and the Pentosan he feels like a million bucks.

Jingles that he continues to keep feeling better! Yay!

Pentosan works well for my Boy. I did the loading dose with him and was giving him an injection once a month, but have bumped him up to every 2 weeks. I can tell when he needs it because he'll start throwing in a little buck when I ask for left canter. Do what you feel he needs and follow your gut.
                        Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                        Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
                        "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

Great news. Hopefully everything continues this way.

Comment

That's great news!! Jingling for continued progress!
                            Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

Sending you some more jingles-glad to hear things are progressing well!

Comment

Working...
                              X