• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is there a homeopathic remedy against Pigeon Fever?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So if I'm sitting in an uncomfortable chair I have a dis-ease?

And a soldier standing at attention is dis-eased?
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
      It's still something you teach/advise, correct?

So if I'm sitting in an uncomfortable chair I have a dis-ease?
      I you have hemorrhoids I'd say you'd be pretty dis-eased.
      --Gwen <><
      "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
      http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Or mal-area ... er.... mal-aria ...... malaria.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well I am sitting on the fence in regards to homeopathy.

How would we explain how radios, cell phones, etc work to someone from a past century?

Deltawave - is that a gesture made by a sorority?

No - I am sure it is from your scientific background. Just curious - what is your profession? I am sure it beats my fine arts degree!

Comment

• Wow what an argument! Fwiw i had a mare with immune system issues that contracted a horrific case of pf. I had one of the top alternative medicine vets in the world see her when nothing else worked. Within 12 hours of giving my mare silicia per the percription the abcess was draining heavily, and dried up and was healing within days. This was after 2 months of this huge abcsess refusing to drain or heal. It was amazing.
            On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

• last word from me (I think) ... I don't see that what I teach or do or don't do or don't teach is any of your business MistyBlue or Deltawave. I have a substantial long time client base and have new ones regularly; I've been in business for myself for many years. The horses are happy, are seen regularly by their own veterinarians, their humans are happy and I'm happy to be able to support my own herd and family. I've dealt with thousands of horses over the last 50 years with good results and in a varying capacity. You asked why you don't see questions from me here? Why on earth would I ask you questions, Delta? To be ridiculed or put down or told how ignorant I am that I don't already have the knowledge or answer? I have a bit more self respect than that, thank you, and its too bad that you don't hold the same respect for yourself as evident by your obvious need to be insulting and personally attacking others. I have my 'trusted' sources of information when I need counsel. It should make no difference to *you* who they are or even if I have any at all. Again, it's none of your business. But to be polite I feel obliged to address your "concerns". And no, I'm not angry. Nor am I frustrated or hurt or any other negative state of mind. Just wanting to post this for clarification. My business is not yours, nor MistyBlue's nor anyone else's. I've repeatedly said that I love discussing topics as its a great learning, motivating and thought provoking tool. But when it gets into personal and catty remarks that serve no purpose at all except to put down another person (whether it be me or anyone else) then there is nothing positive in it at all for anyone. We're far beyond the little junior high school cliques; or ... I would think we should be. Not interested in that. Never was and never will be. But I'll give you all this -- if addressing other people in the demeaning manner in which you do brings you some sort of feeling of security or self-satisfaction? Then by all means ... keep knocking yourself out. You do a tremendous job at it. *shaking head* -- I'm disappointed that a person of your level of maturity and stature seems to need this security blanket. But, not surprised. I will continue to respond to posts as *I* feel led to do so and will continue to be as respectful as I would hope others would be to me and each other. Some things never go out of 'style' - such as the Golden Rule. Things we all learned in kindergarten (but some seemingly have forgotten.) And as a post-script I still would like an answer to the question I *did* ask but to which I never received a direct answer. If energy cannot be destroyed, only changed, where does the energy from the original substance from which a homeopathic remedy is made, go? Perhaps there is someone else who can answer this as no one has yet seemed to be able to. Thank you.
              --Gwen <><
              "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."

Comment

• Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
                Wow what an argument! Fwiw i had a mare with immune system issues that contracted a horrific case of pf. I had one of the top alternative medicine vets in the world see her when nothing else worked. Within 12 hours of giving my mare silicia per the percription the abcess was draining heavily, and dried up and was healing within days. This was after 2 months of this huge abcsess refusing to drain or heal. It was amazing.
                I, too, have seen remarkable results in a number of severe cases (varying conditions) with the use of Silicea.
                --Gwen <><

Comment

• Originally posted by caballus View Post
                  Hey -- when in doubt go to the source. No better source than the Organon, written by Hahnemann, himself, from whom the study of Classical Homeopathy is achieved. You don't like it? *shrugs* ... to quote Delta,

Not all homeopathic practitioners are alike, Delta ... just as not all Drs. are alike.

Science vs. Homeopathy -- age old debate.
                  Sure, go the source, however, like astronomy has proven the the Earth is not the center of the universe (contrary to the bible and other texts of the day) the original source has been proven wrong via modern science.

Take the magnet discussion you chose to copy. He simply describes the paramagnetic properties of iron based on the electronic configuration of the atoms arranged in the unit cell structure. Simply heat the iron up above 1500 degrees F and the magnetism disappears!!!!! What happened to the mysterious "energy?!" Nothing. The FCC structured unit cell can not form the poles to sustain a magnetic field as the BCC and BCT structures can.

So right there is a clear fallacy in the Organon. Thus, using a little logic, his anology to small pox becomes false given that modern science now has determined vial vectors etc. If we keep picking at this one thread of logic, much of the tapestry begins to unravel because the associations can no longer support the arguments for justification.

Comment

• Originally posted by caballus View Post
                    And as a post-script I still would like an answer to the question I *did* ask but to which I never received a direct answer. If energy cannot be destroyed, only changed, where does the energy from the original substance from which a homeopathic remedy is made, go? Perhaps there is someone else who can answer this as no one has yet seemed to be able to. Thank you.
                    What is this "energy" you speak of? You mean the kilocalories present in the less than one molecule of plant that remains in the remedy? Since we're talking about less than one molecule (okay, for discussion's sake, let's round up to one whole molecule), we're not talking about kcal--we're talking about fractions of calories. If this molecule even gets absorbed, it won't be absorbed intact--if it's a proteinaceous enzyme, for example, it will be absorbed in little chunks of 1 to roughly 3 amino acids. It will go to make other proteins in the horse's body. If it's a carbohydrate, it will be digested, either by the horse or by gut flora, and maybe can make a few ATP.
                    In something the size of a horse or person or really any domestic species, a handful of ATP or amino acids means diddly.

Reading these posts reminds me of an analogy. The original intent was to refute religion, but I think it actually fits better when talking about pseudoscience.

From Science as a Candle in the Dark:

"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage." Suppose (I'm following a group therapy approach by the psychologist Richard Franklin) I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle--but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick." And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so.
                    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

• There is no changing the stance of a dogmatic (and no, that is not an insulting term but if the shoe fits . . . ) so I guess we all are beating our heads against the collective wall. No need for more information, no need to question beliefs, no need to rethink conclusions, no need to consider alternative explanations. What a relief that would be--I can't how many horses I would have time to ride if all that pesky fact-checking, keeping up to date, digesting new evidence and all were no longer necessary!

Comment

• Delta, you're right--I would save a lot of time if scientific literature didn't exist for me to read!

Comment

• Here is a link to a company with remedies and Homeopathic nosodes (basically vaccines...FEI approved, too!)

https://www.earthsongranch.com/Nosodes-c12.htm
                          LLT

www.emeraldspringequestrian.com

Comment

• FEI approved? Is that even a real designation? And if it is, what does it mean? It won't test? Of course it won't if there's nothing but water in it.

Nosodes are NOT vaccines. Well, maybe if you took a vaccine and diluted it a million times. They might work similarly then.

Comment

• Of course homeopathics are in line with the FEI's "no foreign substance" rule . . . there is no foreign substance in them. One can put a rabbit's foot ini one's pocket at FEI events, too. The benefits and mode of action are the same.

Comment

• Which type of energy are you referring to--mechanical, thermal, electrical, chemical, or electromagnetic?

And why do you think that it "left" the original molecule of whatever it was that was being diluted? Maybe it's still there. Just not in the solution in question.
                                "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• What happens to the energy of the plant, itself? Molecules are made up of cells which are made up of atoms which are made up of particles then quarks then more particles etc. -- all vibrating with energy. So what happens to that energy? It just goes away when a substance is diluted and succussed? Where does it go?
                                  um, have you ever actually taken a basic physics or chemistry class?
                                  asking this question reveals a profound level of ignorance about how the world works.

the type of energy you're talking about stays with the molecules of course- it is part and parcel of them, it doesn't hang around after they leave. The homeopathy dilutions don't destroy anything or separate the energy from anything, it just dilutes them out until they aren't present in the final solution.

If you take ten black marbles and mix that with 90 white marbles, that is 1x. Take ten of those at random- probably get one black marble, 9 white marbles. Mix those with 90 white marbles. That is 2x. Take ten of those at random- probably get all white marbles. Mix those with 90 white marbles- that is a 3X homeopathic solution. It has no black marbles in it. The black marbles are all still in existence, and have all of their own energy with them, they are just not in your cup full of marbles.

go read the Wiki entry on homeopathy, it has a good section describing the dilutions that demonstrates how utterly stupid the concept is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Comment

• My take (and yes I am a scientist, and yes I have taken courses in quantum mechanics..) on homeopathy is that any drop of water out of your tap will have the same concentration of what ever it is you want than any homeopathic remedy. In fact the homeopathic water likely has NO molecules what so ever from what is the 'active' ingredient.

My favourite example is this one:
                                    http://madartlab.com/2011/03/03/putt...o-perspective/

And knowing basic quantum physical chemistry I am quite confident in not believing that water molecules have any capacity for 'memory'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aven View Post
                                      Loved this.

Comment

• An interesting read for the more 'scientifically minded" -- (excerpt) "According to these results, homeopathy has been put on a fundamental, scientific, physical basis."

The full paper can be found here: http://hpathy.com/scientific-researc...etic-medicine/

with other articles here: http://hpathy.com/scientific-research/

Whether 'valid' or not? Draw your own conclusions. I'll not respond further on this.
                                        --Gwen <><

Comment

• Once again we have a citation pulled off Google (if you click it twice you get homeopathy crossword puzzles, LOL) which the poster has clearly not read and does not even remotely comprehend, and yet comes to a conclusion from the citation which is different from that of the authors themselves.

Talk about missing marbles . . .

Comment

Working...
                                          X