• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

At Wit's End with a Mare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Wit's End with a Mare

I bought what once was a lovely 5 year-old Thoroughbred mare this winter. I was hoping she would be a great trail horse. She was a completely calm, gentle mare and had great ground manners. I was taking her on trails and everything, and she was perfect. She was also very affectionate. I've also know the seller for years, and she is a very good horse person, and she is honest.

I transferred her to the new barn a short while later. I ride her at least 5 days a week. I have another horse at the barn that is content. It's a gorgeous barn, the turnout is a little lacking.

She weaves constantly in the cross ties, and kicks everything down around her.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions?
    Last edited by MissyA84; Jul. 23, 2013, 01:48 AM. Reason: Privacy

Too much energy, not enough turnout, too many calories. Seems simple--she was fine before, new barn/no turnout now means crazy mare.

Until you move her back to longer turnout, (I assume she's in a small paddock) with more space in a perhaps quieter setting (is this a busy boarding barn?) she'll remain unsettled.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Being in a smaller area like that, might cause some soreness too. Imagine if you went from being able to walk around where ever you wanted, and then being locked up in a closet basically for 20hrs a day-with no exercise, You might want to get with a massage therapist and see if there's something making her sore.
      Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
      http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Comment

Sounds like she hurts. Bad.
        Ring the bells that still can ring
        Forget your perfect offering
        There is a crack in everything
        That's how the light gets in.

Comment

If it were my horse, I'd have the vet out and possibly a chiro as well. Usually a drastic change in behavior = pain somewhere. Have her teeth been done recently? Could it be related to her heat cycle? Ovarian cyst? Ulcers from being kept in too much? Back pain? There could be any of a variety of things going on, and until you have a complete workup done, I wouldn't be so quick to rule out pain, especially since it's a new behavior. The fact that she's uncomfortable in crossties suggests that she's anticipating the pain of when you saddle up and/or get on or trying to relieve pain somewhere by weaving.

My vet back home had a horse come in that had suddenly started bucking. The horse moved sound and everything checked out on initial exam...but the owner was positive it was pain somewhere...and a nuclear scan revealed that she did indeed have an issue (I wish I could remember what, but it was a few years ago now).

Most horses don't go from being lovely quiet animals to unhappy bucking broncos without some kind of underlying physical issue, or a drastic change to their environment or diet, IME

Comment

I went through something rather similar with my mare. My trainer however pinpointed it as a dominance issue. While I do agree that turnout could be the issue, Im wondering if it isnt the same type of situation. I have a redheaded mare and man, she can have an opinion! What is your mares personality in the herd? Is she an alpha mare?

Comment

I would go with a pain issue as well to begin with atleast. Seems odd that a horse that was 100% (or as close as they get) starts behaving the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MissyA84 View Post
                She has also become unrideable. As in, how fast can she throw me off. Today, while I was getting on her, I was halfway in the saddle when she hurled herself in the air and let out a giant buck. I stayed on, and she then went on bucking three times after that. She made attempts to throw me off every second I was on her. It wasn't a nervousness or anything hyper - she was entirely focused on throwing me off. When I was leading her back to the trailer, she attempted to get loose several times.

There have been other times where she will literally stop, and no matter how hard you kick, spur, or whip, she won't move. Literally, she just does not move.

I have a ton of experience riding, and have ridden a lot of green horses, but I've never seen a horse have such ill intent, where they want you off the saddle. She is a completely different horse.
                Sounds pain related & the saddle either causes or intensifies it.

(I've come back 5 minutes later to find an entire leg on the inside of a garbage can).
                this part sounds pretty normal

Comment

Yep... sounds like you might need a good vet.

You say her feed and turnout routine has changed? How much turnout does she get? In a large area or small? What was her feed changed to?

My Boy turns into a complete jerk when he's not able to go out and went completely nuts on any feed that had ground corn or lots of soy in it.
                  Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                  Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
                  "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

Once you rule out pain and maybe even Lyme, then its probably because she needs more (real) turnout and a smaller, quiet barn with less traffic in and out all day. She sounds miserable.

Comment

the turnout is a little lacking
                      Rule out pain first, then move her.
                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

She may well need additional turnout. Even though the barn regimen may work fine for your other horse, different horses have different needs. I have a TB mare and the only time she has had her turnout reduced (once while on stall-rest, and once while she was in quarantine after moving to a new barn) she was so angry, agitated, totally ticked off that it was more than a challenge to even handle her on the ground, and she would get that feral look in her eyes that always signals a blow-up. This is a horse that is ordinarily very quiet, very trusting of her handlers. So lack of turnout can really make that kind of a difference.

Given that your horse blows up while being mounted, saddle-fit and just back pain generally would also be worth checking. There are lots of saddle-fitting sites on the web that will help you check the fit on your own, but it would be worthwhile to have a saddle-fitter in.

You can check for back pain yourself by running a pen cap alongside the spine (on the long muscles) with moderate pressure and see if the horse dips her back.

Good luck.
                        "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

My TB mare's personality changes when she is stall-kept. With 24/7 turnout she is quiet, affectionate and happy. If I keep her in a stall for a few hours for whatever reason, she becomes a completely different horse.

It might be inconvenient for you to find a barn that offers 24/7 turnout (if your current barn won't work with you), but IMO it might be the cheapest and fastest way to rule out anything physical.

Comment

I can sympathize as I also had a quiet/laid back ottb mare that I bought last fall...gave her 6 months of turnout and let down from track...she settled nicely, and gained weight...I started riding her in March..she was great, easy going calm and sensible....fast forward a month...she went into her first heat and she's a completely different horse...she's all over the place...won't focus, pees in aisle while on cross ties, is head in the air, looking all around...and won't go forward no matter how much kicking spuring etc...is tense and once you get her moving after she's done digging her heels in the ground -she then has bottomless energy?? And while she's outside she paces the fence line , then will explode bucking and galloping around...looking for the boys I guess??

I moved her from the pasture she was in this past winter to a smaller paddock bc we are trying to grow grass and give that field a break...she definitely seemed more at ease in the other field?

I started her on Mag Restore and Focus,and Mare Magic a couple weeks ago which has helped some but not enough yet

I'm going to put her on injectable ReguMate ...so I'm hoping for a miracle...we shall see

I've been told that sometimes a Tb mare often times their first heat of the season can be their worst-especially after life as a racehorse -bc at the track they are in such an artificial and stressful environment that they don't always go through heat cycles while at the track?

So don't underestimate her heat cycles...it however very well could be pain
                            related too...so having a good sport horse vet evaluate her may also be a good idea and can never hurt ...especially chiro and accupunture

Also...anytime there's a sudden change in behavior my vet always suggests checking for Lyme disease and ulcers

Comment

I would definitely rule out ulcers since this behavior started a week after a barn change with less turnout.

Comment

[QUOTE=MissyA84;6291170]
                                There have been other times where she will literally stop, and no matter how hard you kick, spur, or whip, she won't move. Literally, she just does not move. [QUOTE]

Rarely is a horse sooooo stubborn it will not move forward. The problem is pain or extreme fear and/or both. Mares her age are almost never the "weenies" that are so scared they just can not move fw'ed when asked. That rank is almost always reserved for extremely timid, youthful geldings. Whipping, spurring, and kicking are not going to get results whether this horse is a weenie or hurts somewhere....something hurts this horse most likely.

I have had some very good results with red raspberry leaves and cycling mares. It does not change personalities, but the barn is a bit quieter when the mares get them.

Turnout? My horses live outside in a herd 24X7 in all but the worst of weather. They ARE happier that way. The herd matron keeps manners in check, and I can live with scrapes and play bites on the younger geldings.

Comment

Saddle fit? Sounds like she is in a good deal of pain.

Comment

Turn her out more!

Don’t just blame the horse… for her to change wildly like that, it has to be something about how she is MANAGED not her innate personality (ie, its not her fault!)

How much turn out was she getting before? How much is she getting now?

My mare just turned 5. She gets around 12 of turn out a day, and is a saint. Quite, calm, attentive, affectionate.

Now and then when the weather is bad, or like right now when they are working in the fields she has to stay in her paddock (which is much bigger than a stall, I would say about 48 x 48).

Lack of turn out changes her completely (I and I am talking about a day or two, in a paddock, not weeks in a stall!). She becomes very nervous and hyper. Spooks and does not keep her attention on me. Seems constantly distracted.

Kinda like how you would expect a teenager to act if you locked them in a closest and took them out for only an hour a day.

She is a young horse, and a thoroughbred at that. Like others said, I would look for pain. But I would get started on turn out first. Might find that fixes all of your problems. I can’t tell you how many “problem horses” I have known that were cured by 12 hour a day turn out.
                                    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I agree the sudden change could be doing it.

Going into heat could also do it, but you don't mention if she's showing any signs.

Comment

I agree with Ulcers. This will cause various issues with her behavior.
                                        Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                        X