• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Laminitis without any symptoms?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminitis without any symptoms?

If you would know me, you would know it's no secret I don't think much of the local vet. We are rural and don't have many choices unless we want to ship out or wait to get on the list.
    My friend had their horse looked at today to get her spring shots. The horse is a 14 year old grade QH mare. She's chubby. She does not have fat pads. She does not have a cresty neck. She has no heat in her feet. She has no signs of lameness and never has since friend has owned for the past year. There are no lines on her hooves.
    I found out today that when the vet came out he screamed laminitis. He's now got the horse pulled from pasture, not allowed any grass. Can have free choice hay as much as she wants. Bute 2 grams twice a day for three days then 1 gram once a day for three days. That's alot of bute for a horse showing no pain I think.
    I agree the horse is too heavy but like I said no fat pads and no signs of lameness.
    Am I missing something in his diagnosis?

That would be known as "subclinical laminitis" where there are structural changes in the hoof with no noticeable signs of lameness.

Better to catch it sooner than later. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

• Original Poster

He didn't do any xrays. He didn't check for pulse. He didn't even pick up the mares feet. ??
      The horse shows none of those signs. Picks her feet up fine. Rides fine. NO hint of lameness. No standing funny-no shifting weight. There's nothing on her feet- no lines-no ridges-no nothing?
      She's just borderline fat.

Comment

Is it possible he saw some lameness you might not? I know plenty of people who ride horses I would consider lame. Sometimes a fresh eye can spot what those who look at it everyday cannot.

Comment

A good friend of mine had this happen 2 years ago. Her pony who was fat but otherwise fine, foundered. Nobody knows why. Apparently rotation and everything (I wasn't there for the vet or farrier), and never went lame. Kept giving lessons, never skipped a beat. Owner had no clue. Pony was *fine*. Farrier is the one that discovered something was seriously wrong, got vet out, and yep, founder.

Pony was much too fat, though no fat pads, etc. Since the founder was so mysteriously non-eventful, owner never changed anything in pony's diet, etc, kept over feeding.

Pony was put down 9 months later when he foundered a second time, again not *that* seriously, but enough that with his hurting hocks it did him in.

I would applaud a vet for being proactive frankly. Very possible he's seeing something the owner isn't. Even if its a false alarm, better a false alarm too early than a crisis too late. It might at the very least get the owner thinking about changing her management if the vet feels the horse is at risk.

Bute isn't for the pain irrc, its to help stave off the damage to the laminae, thins the blood or something like that.

I had a founder scare in my own herd a few years ago, warm feet and pulses. Vet prescribed bute and ice baths. Ponies, touch wood, were fine.
          Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaBeQuiet View Post
            If you would know me, you would know it's no secret I don't think much of the local vet. We are rural and don't have many choices unless we want to ship out or wait to get on the list.
            My friend had their horse looked at today to get her spring shots. The horse is a 14 year old grade QH mare. She's chubby. She does not have fat pads. She does not have a cresty neck. She has no heat in her feet. She has no signs of lameness and never has since friend has owned for the past year. There are no lines on her hooves.
            I found out today that when the vet came out he screamed laminitis. He's now got the horse pulled from pasture, not allowed any grass. Can have free choice hay as much as she wants. Bute 2 grams twice a day for three days then 1 gram once a day for three days. That's alot of bute for a horse showing no pain I think.
            I agree the horse is too heavy but like I said no fat pads and no signs of lameness.
            Am I missing something in his diagnosis?
            Were you there? The vet obviously saw something....

I can't tell you how many times I've gone out to look at a horse and the owners thought the horse was fine, or just a little stiff or just a little off and I walk out and see a horse that is screaming laminitis..... I say so and the owner says, "no heat or pulses it can't be laminitis"..... Well, they don't always feel hot and they don't always have bounding pulses...sometimes the changes are subtle......

I'd be curious as to what the vet saw, but I'd guess there was a way of going or stance that gave it away......
            Turn off the computer and go ride!

Comment

Inflammation without pain can be present in any body part.

A short course of bute is unlikely to hurt, and pulling the horse off grass seems like a no-brainer.
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

I think this webinar will be very helpful for you. It shows a pony with significant rotation and no visible symptoms. Very credible lecturer.

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_car...don-walsh-dvm/
                Are you feeding your horse like a cow? www.safergrass.org

Comment

I just lost one to laminitis with no symptoms. By the the time the symptoms appeared it was too late. He foundered days later (after being pulled off grass, bute, magic cushion, deeply bedded stall, etc). He still didn't have a strong digital pulse even when he foundered. When we put him on stall rest, he had mild gas colic symptoms and was a touch lame on one foot...he had thrown a shoe the night before. He was a hard keeper too, but this was his second laminitis episode...the first was last fall after pushing down the fence to get into my neighbors bushes. That time he had symptoms.

The vet says he must have been a ticking time bomb. And, because of the extraordinarily warm, early weather (at least here) the vet is seeing a lot of laminitis...even in the hard keepers.

Get a grazing muzzle and use it.

Comment

If the horse is fat, it would do well to be taken off grain and grass anyhow, just as prevention if nothing else!

Comment

It sounds like less of a diagnosis and more of a prediction....and given the time of year and the fact that the horse is fat, I personally would follow the instructions.

Comment

Working...
                      X