• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I'm so ashamed, my horse is REALLY fat!/update 5/12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so ashamed, my horse is REALLY fat!/update 5/12

Well what do y'all think? Enough weight lost? I personally think so but I thought she looked fine before when she was a regular butter ball.
    Before
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2cxxdhw.jpg

How she looks now

__________________________________________________ ________________
    I don't know what happened or why I didn't see this but had my girl at Auburn U a few weeks ago for an eye injury (all well now) and the Vet there scored her as a 7/9 on body condition. I asked if she was REALLY that fat and she replied "yes, she is".

This mare had been getting two cups of timothy pellets, 1/4 cup ground flax and a half cup of rice bran twice a day, a lot of bermuda hay. I've always let her have free choice hay.

I really couldn't still believe that she was so fat so this evening I scored her myself with help from this page
    http://www.equisearch.com/horses_car...thorse_102907/
    How to tell if your horse is fat
    Son of a gun I rated her an EIGHT!!

i've cut her down to 1/4 cup timothy pellets, 1/4 cup ground flax twice a day, three hours on our pasture which isn't a rich pasture, hasn't been fertilized in years, a half flake of hay in the afternoon and a couple at night.

When not in the pasture she's in a dry lot appx. 250 x 250. There is some very short grass in it but mostly dirt.

I feel like I'm starving her to death!! She thinks I'm starving her to death!

I can't imagine why this year she's getting so fat. She has always been an easy keeper but not like this.

Guess if this nice Vet hadn't pointed it out to me I'd have just kept on feeding her til she foundered.

I truely am ashamed.
    Last edited by pj; May. 12, 2012, 05:04 PM. Reason: update
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

We have a couple of horses that need to only be on 1 flake per day in the winter, and I just give them a handful when the other horses get hay so they are not totally upset.

Super easy keepers need to be managed to be a bit under weight (ribby) B/S of a 4, before any grass starts to come in. Then they have a bit of a buffer.

It is hard to not feed them, but it is more important that they not be fat, than to be too thin. Thin does not cause joint problems, foot problems, heart/lung problems, metabolic problems, etc.

Tough love.

Comment

Perhaps it's metabolic. Consider speaking to your get about these options if less calorie intake and more exercise doesn't start to trim her up I one to two months
      ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
        We have a couple of horses that need to only be on 1 flake per day in the winter, and I just give them a handful when the other horses get hay so they are not totally upset.

Super easy keepers need to be managed to be a bit under weight (ribby) B/S of a 4, before any grass starts to come in. Then they have a bit of a buffer.

It is hard to not feed them, but it is more important that they not be fat, than to be too thin. Thin does not cause joint problems, foot problems, heart/lung problems, metabolic problems, etc.

Tough love.
        Tough love!! I'll keep telling myself that.
        She hasn't been ridden since Jan. 31 as we were fighting this eye thing (non healing ulcer) but am ready to start back now. Hopefully riding the mountain trails will help with this but I guess I need to get some of this blubber off of her before we climb the mt.

Now I worry about ulcers cause I feel that I'm not giving her enough hay!
        You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by winfieldfarm View Post
          Perhaps it's metabolic. Consider speaking to your get about these options if less calorie intake and more exercise doesn't start to trim her up I one to two months
          Oh, Heavens I hope not!!
          I will do that though.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pj View Post
            Now I worry about ulcers cause I feel that I'm not giving her enough hay!
            I have never had a horse develop ulcers in 35 years of feeding very limited hay to many, many horses.

I did have one OTTB that came in with ulcers, and at that point they didn't have a treatment. He coliced fairly regularly. The vet said to give him a package of yeast a couple of times a week, and no more colicing.

This horse was also a fairly easy keeper, and he ate 1 flake of hay during the 10 hours summer time that he was in his stall. Winter overnights, he got about 13-15 lbs of hay which took him about 2-3 hours to eat, then nothing for the next 8+?

Even so, no more colic or ulcer problems, and he lived to be 28, and died to to a neurologic injury.

Ulcer "education" has done more to kill horses and cause them arthritic pain from obesity than any thing else.

Ulcer fears = metabolic problems.

Comment

Could you get her off of all feed? Why the rice bran?

I've found that most horses do well on grass and hay. I have TBs and I've never had one that needed grain if they have enough grass and free choice hay. (granted, we have large pasture)
              Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
              White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

• Original Poster

Fairview, Thanks, I needed that!!

Come to think of it forty something years ago many of the horses that I knew were fed hay, usually one or two blocks in the morning and two blocks at night and not a thing inbetween. IF any had ulcers we didn't know it.

That makes me feel better. Thank you.

Comment

For my fatty I cut the grain totally and I find a lower- quality hay. By lower quality I mean its still ok hay to eat but it doesn't offer a ton of calories.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by AliCat518 View Post
                    Could you get her off of all feed? Why the rice bran?

I've found that most horses do well on grass and hay. I have TBs and I've never had one that needed grain if they have enough grass and free choice hay. (granted, we have large pasture)
                    She is off feed and hasn't had any actual grain since the first of Jan.
                    I thought when I took her off grain (didn't do it because I thought she was fat, dumb, blind old me) that she needed something besides hay pellets so added the rice bran, 4 oz. daily.

The only thing she gets now other than hay is 0.88 oz. of ground flax seed, 1.44 oz of timothy pellets. Not enough to really fool with but it helps her feelings a tad to get something in her bucket.

Thinking back on what I've done I think that giving her so much of this Bermuda may be the problem. I really have been putting a LOT of it out there and of course she felt it was her duty to clean it up. That on top of grass coming in.....

I really doubt this horse will ever seen grain again.

Comment

Have you had her thyroid levels checked? I'd just want to eliminate that before anything....

Comment

There was a study several years ago that found most obese horses it was caused by hay, not grain, etc.

Feed the amount of hay for weight management, not any thing else.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by WarDance View Post
                          Have you had her thyroid levels checked? I'd just want to eliminate that before anything....
                          I haven't but if I don't see a big difference in a month I'll have that done first thing.
                          Thanks.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                            For my fatty I cut the grain totally and I find a lower- quality hay. By lower quality I mean its still ok hay to eat but it doesn't offer a ton of calories.
                            That is a good suggestion. This that we have from last summer is pretty rich stuff I believe but haven't had it tested.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
                              There was a study several years ago that found most obese horses it was caused by hay, not grain, etc.

Feed the amount of hay for weight management, not any thing else.
                              I can believe that! We are so careful with the amount of grain that we feed but we (me anyhow) have felt perfectly safe to let them have all the hay they want.

Comment

Fwiw, it's really hard to tell when a horse has become a fatty. I compare it to myself. Heck, i see myself everyday and didn't notice when I packed on 30 lbs. It's really hard to tell when you see them all the time...
                                Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                                White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

Originally posted by pj View Post
                                  I haven't but if I don't see a big difference in a month I'll have that done first thing.
                                  Thanks.
                                  That's a good plan. I think it was $45 to have one run this fall.

A boarder's horse is a very easy keeper. She wears a grazing muzzle. It does do wonders.

Comment

I have a horse who tends to get way to fat a body score of 8. I limit his hay no grain and when he goes out on grass he wears a grazing muzzle. His hay maybe last 2 hours in AM and Pm he has no problems with ulcers that i know of. Right now hes trimmed down to a body score of 4 1/2 thats with being worked 6 days a week. The biggest thing is no grain and limit the hay intake yeah they think their starving but they will live.

Comment

I agree to cut her hay down and no grain at all. If you worry she needs vitamins feed a ration balancer. The other thing you mentioned is that your hay is rich... Look for less quality hay (not cow hay or anything, just less nutritious) and put it in a slow feed hay net. if it is less rich, you can feed a little more and the slow feed hay net will keep her feom gorging herself. Good luck!

Comment

Fella PORKED.OUT over the winter at his boarding barn. I was very concerned, but the BO was less concerned. She said he was fat because I wasn't riding him. Turned out he was eating his pasture buddy's weight gainer meal (weight gainer, grain, oil, etc.). Yup; put an air fern on weight gainer and you get http://www.flickr.com/photos/52967336@N00/6407076505/ Mind you he got fatter than that. I had to insist that instead of using grain to sweeten his food to keep him out of the other horses' buckets that he come out to be fed. He's been in training since March and looks loads better. In fact he's making me look bad!

It happens. You caught it. That's good.

Paula
                                        He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Working...
                                        X