• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

tooth stuff...but out of the ordinary...last page update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tooth stuff...but out of the ordinary...last page update

ok
    my Middlest Child has a gelding that she loves.Big yellow camel lipped jug head that takes care of her every time and every ride. the whole "earned his spot" kinda thing

so about 4 days ago we notice he has stopped eating grass in the pasture with his 3 welsh cob friends and is losing weight like snow melts in the spring...

now they are all a decade or more younger (he is 15-16),round as sausages and he stands over them by 8 inches and is not the bottom of the pen by no means...but he is in some sort of low grade pain,that is obvious...

anyway we take the regular "prevent defense" measures,get him eating and wait for the vet who comes today...(the downside of living on a remote mt is a vet that is only in the county 12 hours a week)

he draws blood and checks his teeth (which were hand floated late last summer)

he noted that the horse has a "much older mouth" in the back than the front and that the slope from inside to outside was so severe that the tooth was worn all the way to the gum line and he thought that was causing him the difficulty chewing in the shelled corn that we had given him....

soooo slow and careful and half hearted but no spillage or head tilting...he was a different horse eating the plain oats tonight....

so while we wait for blood tests to return and go with the aftercare...has anyone heard of such a thing? we have had him only 1.5 years or so...his previous owner is appalled and blames some money generating power floats over the last 10 years...but I don't know...comments? aid?

Tamara
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; May. 18, 2012, 08:09 PM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Any hard "swellings" where the roots of molars would be? That could indicate a tooth root infection, which, if it's gone unnoticed long enough, can turn into an abscessed tooth, which would cause pain.

Hope he's feeling better soon, poor guy.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by onelanerode View Post
      Any hard "swellings" where the roots of molars would be? That could indicate a tooth root infection, which, if it's gone unnoticed long enough, can turn into an abscessed tooth, which would cause pain.

Hope he's feeling better soon, poor guy.
      not that he mentioned only that the whole inside of the back molars were sloped enough to the outside that they were at the gumline...like a much older animal...

we've never heard of such a thing...the worst teeth/tooth drama we have EVER had is the old welsh stallion has a wavy mouth in the back and one broken first molar in a cutting mare years ago (and they wondered why she tossed her head?)

but that has been the full extent of our horse tooth drama in the last 25 years

Tamara
      I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

I just asked because my mare presented with a hard bony swelling around the root of the front lower premolar; the first vet who looked at it wasn't concerned and said not to worry, but my regular vet went WTH, took rads and consulted with our state's vet school. Diagnosis was a tooth root infection.

IIRC my vet told me they aren't often caught early; usually you notice when the tooth has abscessed and the horse has a nasty scent or discharge from the nostrils.

A few months after that one resolved, the mare developed another one on the other side of her lower jaw, which I found when checking on the first one. (I'd been comparing it to the "normal" side ... and then suddenly the "infected" side was the "normal" side and the "normal" side wasn't "normal" any longer.) It was very strange.

Other than that my teeth experiences have been "normal" as well ... now I've gone and jinxed myself, no doubt.
        Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE]
          Originally posted by onelanerode View Post
          I just asked because my mare presented with a hard bony swelling around the root of the front lower premolar; the first vet who looked at it wasn't concerned and said not to worry, but my regular vet went WTH, took rads and consulted with our state's vet school. Diagnosis was a tooth root infection.
          while searching tonight for our guys problem (no luck) I did find this cool Xray

http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/302488/enlarge

Tamara

Comment

From what I understand in your description is the horse has a shear mouth. That is an exaggerated slope from side to side on the same molar. Or are you describing a wave mouth? It isn't a common problem but it isn't all that rare. (shear mouth) It sounds like your horse didn't have good dental care through it's life. Those are all things that a good vet that is an equine dentist corrects every year in little increments. Now that the horse is older, there isn't much that can be done to correct a mouth that has been neglected. Didn't the person that hand floated the horse last year mention how bad the horses teeth were? They certainly should have as it is extremely rare for a horse of 15-16 to have molars worn to the gum. It sounds like the horse has a wave and a shear mouth?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by davistina67 View Post
              From what I understand in your description is the horse has a shear mouth. That is an exaggerated slope from side to side on the same molar. Or are you describing a wave mouth? It isn't a common problem but it isn't all that rare. (shear mouth) It sounds like your horse didn't have good dental care through it's life. Those are all things that a good vet that is an equine dentist corrects every year in little increments. Now that the horse is older, there isn't much that can be done to correct a mouth that has been neglected. Didn't the person that hand floated the horse last year mention how bad the horses teeth were? They certainly should have as it is extremely rare for a horse of 15-16 to have molars worn to the gum. It sounds like the horse has a wave and a shear mouth?

they are neither wave nor shorn....and they have been power floated every year religiously,every year, for the last decade, apparently,whether he needed it or not. He has been stall kept and grain feed and giving lessons that whole time.

Now as I understand the back molars are worn off to the gums on the back inside,but they do not come to any points as shear mouth would. And the bite matches smoothly all the way down.

The same vet who did his teeth last fall is the one who saw him today....that was for a sharp point toward the front and it was a hand float.

A second mare from the same farm, done that same day was far worse as I remember.

It would seem that we are just going to have to do things a little different for him.

Tamara

Comment

It would be very normal for any horse to be power floated every year. It does sound somewhat like a shear mouth. What is sounds like is the people they have had float him did not know how to correct his mouth. It sounds like the guy that hand floated him last year didn't work towards a correction either? On a good physical it would found that the occlusion of the theta were incorrect.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by davistina67 View Post
                  It would be very normal for any horse to be power floated every year. It does sound somewhat like a shear mouth. What is sounds like is the people they have had float him did not know how to correct his mouth. It sounds like the guy that hand floated him last year didn't work towards a correction either? On a good physical it would found that the occlusion of the theta were incorrect.
                  check for pm :>

Tamara

Comment

• Original Poster

random update....40 days from the start of the drama he has gotten to hit the turnout for the first time tonight....he has decided not to die and eats the Senior with Amplify (thanks to Rusty Bane as always for the support and advice!!) like he means it....

it was not just the feed however as a few days ago approaching the end of my tether and his time with us on this Earth...I said to him "you stupid SOB what do I have to do...lift it to your mouth???"

and then.
                    the clouds parted.

I put his 25 gal feed tub on the 25 inch tall bale of hay and poured the feed in.
                    and waited.
                    he ate slowly
                    and ate
                    and ate and ate and ate more in that evening of the processed Senior feed than he had nibbled at the whole day.
                    why I do not know why but the change is amazing.
                    such that I will violate the number one rule of the internet ** and post about it.
                    flame away,we are delighted

Tamara
                    **NEVER ACT LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING :>

Comment

Hurrah!!!

except now I'd be looking at his neck for arthritis etc

Comment

might want to check and see if he hurts elsewhere. Alto is right.

Comment

Raising the food pan/bowl works for arthritic dogs, so it may be that he has arthritis in his neck.

Comment

Raising feed pan is recommended for cats with pancreatitis. Less chance of irritating esophagus, acid reflux? I don't know what the reasoning was.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ACP View Post
                              might want to check and see if he hurts elsewhere. Alto is right.
                              we have. as well blood work normal and no noticeable pain or swelling anywhere...the vet has been here twice since the drama started

I wonder if the horse sinus,when the teeth are all low and messed up that way,swells and puts pressure on the head such that they don't want to lower it any more then they have to in order to survive?

just like we would feel pressure pain and swelling with mouth injuries....the first sign we had was he stopped grazing lovely green grass he'd been on for weeks....then the hay and then the feed...in that order...I have always fed in pans on the ground to keep their airways clear and drained

he is a 400% different animal this morning. we are thrilled.

Tamara

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara in TN View Post
                                not that he mentioned only that the whole inside of the back molars were sloped enough to the outside that they were at the gumline...like a much older animal...

we've never heard of such a thing...the worst teeth/tooth drama we have EVER had is the old welsh stallion has a wavy mouth in the back and one broken first molar in a cutting mare years ago (and they wondered why she tossed her head?)

but that has been the full extent of our horse tooth drama in the last 25 years

Tamara
                                I hear this over and over about horses that have been power floated over the years. Oy, it can just wreck their mouths so badly! Glad you were on it, Tamara, and hope he does better.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Abby Kogler View Post
                                  I hear this over and over about horses that have been power floated over the years. Oy, it can just wreck their mouths so badly! Glad you were on it, Tamara, and hope he does better.
                                  hey Abby!
                                  Rusty from Purina told me that a vet/dentist friend of his out Memphis way has at least a dozen horses in his care that have this problem...he was not surprised about it and told me exactly what to do for Atty.

Tamara

Comment

• Original Poster

ok so this will (hopefully) be the last update on the Yellow Board-faced Gelding.

he has eaten about 15 lbs of Equine Senior a day since about May 20...so that is 15 days ?

and the change is Craaa-zzy good....all energy back, most of the weight back...and trying to eat like a normal animal

had the vet out to drain more of my husbands life savings ;>
                                    and in the very back of the throat in the top we found four tiny unconnected grain of rice sized pimples

and another on the left upper side the size of about 6 connected rice grains that had split and drained itself already and was healing up....

maybe in dropping his head fully these places came in contact with the food????

dunno

but Child the Middlest will take him for the first spin out since we thought he would die on april 8,tomorrow after lunch...just a piddly walk about to see how it goes....just thought some would want the update

nite!

Tamara

Comment

Yippee Hooray!

Comment

yay! hope your poor hubs didn't lose too much of his life savings lol!
                                        Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                                        Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                                        Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                                        Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Working...
                                        X