• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Gift Basket for your first horse - What should I include?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift Basket for your first horse - What should I include?

My one my close friends is getting her first horse. Now, she has no desire to show, but wants to learn different things. She had been taking basic riding lessons. She never did all the care for them, as the person she took lessons from had barn help.

Now, she is getting her first horse. And it wasn't very long ago that I got my first horse. And I clearly remember the overwhelming feeling of not knowing what I REALLY needed. So, I thought I would make her first horse ownership a little less stressful and put together a gift-basket for her.

What do you think I should include? I've already made her a business card holder and added cards from local farriers and the two closest equine vets.

She bought a halter & lead, buckets, saddle/bridle/girth/etc. And a couple of brushes, shampoo, and some treats. That is it. We're going to go shopping sometime next week and I'll help her with getting things she needs and maybe just a few wants! (She boards so doesn't need feed/hay)

So what should I include? She currently rides western. I thought about doing a gift sub to one horsey mag, too.

[I honestly wish I had a friend like me when I got my first horse!!!]
    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

I'd go through one of those 'what products can't you live without' threads and pull out some of those. Things like odd yet very effective grooming tools, that you wouldn't normally think of but are sooo helpful when the time comes.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by hightide View Post
      I'd go through one of those 'what products can't you live without' threads and pull out some of those. Things like odd yet very effective grooming tools, that you wouldn't normally think of but are sooo helpful when the time comes.
      No time tonight, but I will get to searching them tomorrow. I guess since they are odd, should I include some kind of spreadsheet on what there use is and how to use them as well?
      I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

Comment

Thinking of unique grooming tools... a lot of people like those shedding flowers... and that is the right time of year!

Will the horse have a stall? If so a stall sign migh be a neat idea... one that could have emergency phone numbers- owner, vet, farrier

I also like the magazine idea &/or a few good books that apply to horse ownership.

I think you're doing an awesome thing for your friend by putting together a gift basket!
        http://www.leakycreek.com/
        http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
        John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
        Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Comment

Since this is her first time directly responsible for the horse's care, perhaps a first aid guide (like the Dr. Kellon's one) that is pretty much an at-the-scene-of-the-wound kind of reference would be helpful. First time horse owners can get nervous when faced with a first aid situation (all of as can, for that matter!).

She's lucky to have a friend like you!
          "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

A good horse care book? A subscription to a magazine is a good idea too. Maybe one like "The Horse" that has horse care info rather then a riding dicipline.

Comment

• hoof picks - get two, they are known to disappear!
              • Sweat scraper
              • Bottle of Fly spray
              • Depending on where you live, maybe a fly mask
              • Mane/tail comb
              • And to second an earlier suggestion FIRST AID STUFF

Scroll down here for possible F.A. items. http://www.infohorse.com/equinefirstaid.asp
              We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Here is what I get them and their horse.

for the horse:
                a big, huge carrot with green top still on
                a huge red delicous apple
                a box of sweet lumps

for the friend:
                a pair of dotted gloves (like the gardening type) to wear during grooming
                a pocket hoof pick (the hand painted ones are festive)
                a nice mane and tail brush
                a packet of "wet ones" with aloe

Everything fits in a medium sized gift bag. Not expensive and with several small items it is like Christmas. The horse is never dissapointed either.

Comment

Originally posted by seabreeze View Post
                  Since this is her first time directly responsible for the horse's care, perhaps a first aid guide (like the Dr. Kellon's one) that is pretty much an at-the-scene-of-the-wound kind of reference would be helpful. First time horse owners can get nervous when faced with a first aid situation (all of as can, for that matter!).

She's lucky to have a friend like you!
                  ^
                  THIS

And some basic First Aid stuff:
                  Vetwrap
                  Gauze sponges - 4X4
                  duct and/or bandaging tape
                  Triple antibiotic ointment
                  betadine or chlorhexadrine wash
                  Saline
                  Epsom salts
                  digital veterinary thermometer
                  bandage scissors
                  maybe one of the non-prescriprion bute-less painkillers?
                  *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                  Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                  Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

A really good first aid kit.
                    Velcro trailer/stable ties.
                    Good quality fly mask/spray/rug.

If she shows, a tote or tack box to keep everything neat.
                    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Vet Wrap and Duct Tape!

Comment

Cable ties ``` Hand sanitizer ```` Candy ~~~~

Cable ties ```` Double Snaps ```

Hand sanitizer ``` spray type ```

Candy !!!
                        Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

I really like the "Horses for Dummies" books. I have 3 of them, including "Horses," "Horseback Riding," and "Horse Health and Nutrition."

Hoof picks, curry combs, mane and tail detangler, mane/tail brush (I really like the one made by Oster), thermometer, fly mask, fly spray, horse "shammies," a rub rag, etc.

Maybe a gift certificate to a tack store?

Comment

A link and screen name for the COTH forums

I would get basic meds, like tri-op ointment, desitin, betadine scrub (possibly Betadine solution too), soft mushroom brush for wound cleaning, clear eyes, koppertox, Kwik Ice packs, thermometer, epsom salts, ...

Comment

THIS IS THE VERY BEST IDEA !!!!! BRAVO ~~~Fairview Horse Center !

[quote=Fairview Horse Center;6216718]A link and screen name for the COTH forums

THIS IS THE VERY BEST IDEA !!!!!

BRAVO FairviewHorse Center !!!
                              Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

For newbies, I like those "picture" type books that are topic specific...like the Threshold Picture Guides. They're very simplistic/not overwhelming. Good ones to start with would be:
                                Boots & Bandages
                                First Aid
                                Manes & Tails
                                Trimming & Clipping
                                Lameness
                                Massage for Horses
                                Easy Handling
                                Fitting Tack

and also...any of the UPSC Manuals!
                                Cindy

Comment

Great suggestions. A good basic horse care book. For grooming I sure like my jelly scrubber curry and rubber dot mitt. And some nice brushes. Healthy horsecare. Tack wipes/leather care products (I make home made tack wipes with a little bronners soap, some water, and small squares of flannel or old t shirts that I was and reuse). And horsie treats!!!
                                  How fun!!! I remember doing my very first horse item shopping at age 13 with my mom (instructions- buy only what you have to have!). Rode for over a year with just a bareback pad till a saddle was in the budget. And 20+ years later when I finally got my second horse.."Whoppee!!! I'm going to splurge (within the constrains of my budget)." Your friend is lucky to have you. I wish her a great time with her new horse!!!

Comment

I got a freebie that I find really useful and would gladly
                                    purchase if I didn't get it for free. It is a magnetic business
                                    card for a vet clinic which has the pulse rate, temperature
                                    and respiration rate for a normal horse (and dog and cat)
                                    listed on the card along with the contact information for
                                    the vet clinic. I keep it right on the outside of my (metal)
                                    vet closet so all my boarders can refer to it if needed.

I also have one of those kitchen timer things that you
                                    can set for seconds or minutes and it will beep when the
                                    time has elapsed. I use it to time one minute when doing
                                    pulse or respiration and also use it at 3-5 minutes when
                                    using an old fashioned thermometer to take temperature.
                                    I keep the timer inside a clear plastic ziplock bag to keep
                                    it dry and reasonably clean. Easy to press the buttons
                                    through the plastic.
                                    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
                                    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Comment

I have nothing to add here as all the replies have excellent suggestions for a first time horse owner. I just want to add what a good friend you are for doing this. She's lucky to have such a thoughtful friend. Wish I'd had you for a friend when I first got into horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

Heck, I'd wish I had me as a friend when I got my first horse!!

I learned it all by trial and error. And when you make an error with your horse, sometimes it is HARD to fix. I promised her that I would answer any question to the best of my knowledge. There are still so many things that I DON'T know.

She rides western, and solely for fun. But she does want to learn to jump, so I've been looking on Amazon for a good book on jumping (any suggestions?). Dug through my books and found her one on trail riding.

ETA: She does have someone teaching her riding and working with her & her horse on the ground, so she has that down pat. =]

I got one of those really nice oblong galvanized tubs, so after she takes everything out she can use it too!

I had some things that I never used on my horses, but were still basically brand new. I may have used it once, realized that I didn't like it, and put it away. I'm putting in a brand new pair of polos that have been sitting under my bed for 3 years now.

Got her a gift subscription to Horse & Rider, and ordered a book on horse care and health and one on wound care. Got the names wrote down, but left it in the truck.

I think I may print up a nice 'manual' and put it in one of those nice presentation folders with fun tips, facts, and those need to know things. Along with maps/directions and contact info to every feed/tack/vet/farrier/instructor/trainer around here!

Also got the horse a Himalayan salt lick, sunscreen for his pretty pink nose, and even did some homemade treats!

The barn where she boards has 3 first-aid kits and are placed at each end of the barn and one in the tack/feed room.

Also added a HUGE bag of peppermints. Not only does her new horse love them, so does she!

I told her to get online and get a COTH name, but she HATES computers so if she has a question she'll come over and use mine!

We're going to drive tomorrow and check out some feed stores/tack stores and shop around. And I'm breaking out that arsenal of catalogs that are piling up on my bookshelf.

ETA: Where can I find the Threshold Picture Guides?

Now, I need another horse so I can get someone to do it for me!! lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X