• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

likely an abscess?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• likely an abscess?

I was gone over the weekend and came home Sunday evening to find the right hind of my 5 year old TB poofy. Nothing drastic, and given that he's the king of cuts and resulting cellulitis (and I was in a hurry), I didn't lunge him. I just wrapped him, gave him his E/W/T/WNV vaccine (the purpose of my visit), put him on no turnout for the next day, and went home.

Monday night, he was slightly less swollen, thanks to the wraps I'm sure, and I had time to take him out on the lunge line. He was slightly off at the trot, but nothing spectacular, so I just re-wrapped and noted to leave him inside on Tuesday.

Tuesday night there was about the same swelling as Monday, but he was solidly a 3/5 lame, though not noticeable at all at the walk. But he hadn't been turned out on Tuesday, so I wasn't too concerned.

Last night (Wednesday), he was maybe even more lame at the trot (still 3/5), but still not noticeable at the walk. He also had a digital pulse that I could feel on the right, but not on the left. Not bounding, but it was there.

Am I correct to assume it's just an abscess? This would be my first abscess in at least 6 years in any of my horses, and obviously the first I've had in him. It just slightly worries me that it's a hind.

And, at what point would you have a vet/farrier take a look? If he's not better in a week? Less? More?

Well, first of all - it's difficult to say what is wrong since you don't specify where the swelling is located.

If it's an abcess, is he shod or barefoot on the foot in question? My experience with abcesses have been that it is usually best to pull the shoe off and have the farrier out and put the hoof testers on. I would do this right away if an abcess is suspected. Also, in my experience, the best thing for an abcess is turnout. Walking on it seems to bring it out faster. IF it's a sole abcess, sometimes the farrier can pare the sole a bit to help it come through and relieve the pressure.

I'm not sure what wrapping would do for an abcess. Sometimes, an epsom soak in warm water or a hoof poultice can help bring it out - that is IF it is truly an abcess.

Maybe you can share more info and get more input.

Comment

If I'm reasonably certain I'm dealing with an abscess (and I'm not willing to hazard a guess about whether or not that's the case for your horse), I'll generally soak and poultice for a couple of days, and then call the vet if it hasn't opened on it's own by then. If the horse is truly miserable, or I'm not certain that I'm dealing with an abscess, then I'll call sooner.

The last time I had an abscess, my mare came in lame on a Friday night (of course!), so I soaked and poulticed all weekend, called the vet Monday morning, and had they came out on Tuesday. She was obviously lame, even at the walk, but comfortable enough that she was willingly walking around the pasture and coming down for food and water.

I will only leave horses in when they have abscesses if they're so lame that I'm concerned about them getting enough to drink, or if I feel that they're in danger of being injured by their herd-mates because of their decreased mobility.

However, if I'm unsure of the cause of lameness, and there's leg swelling, I probably would be leaving the horse in until I was sure there was no soft tissue (tendon/ligament) damage.

Personally, if it were me, I'd be calling the vet today if I were you. It's only going to be more challenging and more expensive to get a vet out on the weekend if you need one.
      "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
      -Edward Hoagland

Comment

No matter what it is now I would call the vet as it has been 5 or 6 days now and you have not seen much improvement. My horse has never had an abscess so I have never dealt with one personally but from what I have heard is that the a horse that has an abscess is likely to be fairly lame on the leg with the abscess and there is heat in the hoof or the coronary band but no swelling. If it is higher on the leg it could be a number of things including tendon or ligament injury. It could also be an infection from a cut since you said he is prone to getting them. If I were you I would call the vet to come out right away.

Comment

My mare presents an abscess similar to what the OP is describing. She's also presented much, much more subtly (toe dragging at the walk and trot, but no more lame than that).

So, sure, it could be an abscess. For my mare, I can pretty much check off X, Y, and Z symptoms and be pretty darn sure it's an abscess.

But if you're not sure that this is typical for the horse, better to call the vet out and confirm; if it's something more serious, you want to address it sooner rather than later.

And even with my horse, I call the vet out after 3-4 days if an abscess hasn't popped. Again, just to be safe in case I am wrong.

Comment

I've dealt with more than a few abscesses and swelling was never a symptom. I'm not clear why you're thinking abscess vs. a soft tissue injury. I'd ask the vet to take a look.

Comment

• Original Poster

The swelling is almost identical to stocking up or cellulitis in the hind, which is why I wasn't concerned. Both my other horses have presented with this kind of swelling with an abscess, but as I said, I've never had an abscess in this horse so I'm not sure what his "normal" would be. And wrapping his hinds helped decrease that swelling.

He's barefoot. I had the farrier out last night and he tested negative to hoof testers, which, as anyone knows, isn't a sign that there isn't an abscess. He found an area that "might" indicate an abscess, but he's not sure.

And is anyone ever sure that it's an abscess until it blows out? I've seen a torn suspensory diagnosed as an abscess for 2 months (granted, IMO, the vet who diagnosed it is a moron, but that's another story), and in one of my own horses an abscess put him in the hospital for 2 days because he'd recently had a tendon sheath injected and they thought it was related to that. In the latter case, radiographs, hoof testers, no diagnostics were able to tell it was an abscess. We knew when he walked out of his stall sound on Day 4. We still weren't able to find a hole where it blew.

Originally posted by AA Hunter View Post
              I've dealt with more than a few abscesses and swelling was never a symptom. I'm not clear why you're thinking abscess vs. a soft tissue injury. I'd ask the vet to take a look.
              I don't think it's a soft tissue injury because he got drastically worse overnight just standing in his stall. I suppose it's always possible he kicked a wall that night with the leg he was only slightly lame on the day before, but that seems a little far-fetched.

Thanks for the replies! If he's not better by next week, I'll have the vet out to take a look.

Comment

Could be an abscess...could be a soft tissue injury. I just had a horse come up three-legged lame last Saturday with his lower leg totally swollen like a balloon and my first thought was that it was a bad soft tissue injury. Five days later the swelling was down almost 100% and an abscess burst out the bulb of his heel. Hurray! Both my vet and farrier said that abscesses do sometimes present with swelling since the horse is keeping all their weight off that leg. My vet also said that swelling is more common in the hind legs because it's easier for the horse to prop those up and there is less circulation back there.

That being said--I did have my vet scheduled to come out until that abscess burst. I don't mess around with potential soft tissue injuries. I would schedule an appointment with your vet just to be safe. Fingers crossed for your that it's just an abscess!
                "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

Working...
                X