• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Beet Pulp: No such thing as molassas free? Update post 13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beet Pulp: No such thing as molassas free? Update post 13

Title change from "MannaPro Beet Pulp"

Can anyone confirm whether or not MannaPro beet pulp pellets have molasses in them? The ingredients on the MannaPro bag reads: "Dried Beet Pulp." Their website is of no use at all.

I just want to make sure since the Standlee brand states on their website that they do not add molasses to their beet pulp products, but rather the molasses is a result of the drying process at the sugar factory. Yet the ingredients on the bags of Standlee pellets and shreds reads: "Dried Beet Pulp and Molasses."

Color me a bit confused.

1. Is molasses a result of the drying process for ALL beet pulp?
    2. If molasses IS a result of the drying process, why would it be called an ingredient?
    3. And if molasses is actually an ingredient why would Standlee claim they don't add it?

I need plain old beet pulp for an IR horse. NO added molasses.
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Mar. 5, 2012, 06:43 PM.
    Dreaming in Color

It seems to me that if they list it as an ingredient it is something that is added.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
      It seems to me that if they list it as an ingredient it is something that is added.
      Yep, I agree and that would be why I'm confused. They say they don't add it... it's a product of the drying process, but yet it's listed as one of 2 ingredients. I've found another brand (MannaPro) that doesn't list molasses as an ingredient.

I just want to know if ALL beet pulp has molasses in it because of a result of the drying process.
      Dreaming in Color

Comment

This is a good read.

Comment

There would be virtually no natural molasses left in dried BP--not in the interest of the sugar company to leave enough in there to matter. The sugar (sucrose) content of BP is incredibly low. If enough sugar were left in the beet pulp in the factory prior to drying that it created "molasses", then the extraction process would seem to be less than efficient.

If molasses is on the label, I think it must be added to improve palatability, not naturally occurring.
          Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Email Rob at Manna Pro and ask.
            He is a nutritionist and has been great about getting back to me with questions I had.
            robm@mannapro.com
            You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

• Original Poster

This is a good read.
              Yes, thank you, I have read that many times.

Susan states: "many feed manufacturers will add varying amounts of molasses to increase the palatability and reduce pulp dust." She doesn't mention anything about molasses in the drying process and I had also never heard/read that before.

Thank you Calvin Crow and PJ, I will email him.
              Dreaming in Color

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                There would be virtually no natural molasses left in dried BP--not in the interest of the sugar company to leave enough in there to matter. The sugar (sucrose) content of BP is incredibly low. If enough sugar were left in the beet pulp in the factory prior to drying that it created "molasses", then the extraction process would seem to be less than efficient.

If molasses is on the label, I think it must be added to improve palatability, not naturally occurring.
                So then would Standlee be false advertising their beet pulp shreds or do they just get it from a very inefficient source?
                Dreaming in Color

Comment

Originally posted by drmgncolor View Post
                  So then would Standlee be false advertising their beet pulp shreds?
                  They seem to contradict themselves from one page to the next too.

On the pellets page they say this:

Pellets are formed from dried sugar beet pulp with a small amount of molasses added during the drying process.
                  Then further down in the same paragraph they say this:

Standlee Hay does not add molasses to its beet pulp products; the molasses is a result of the drying process at the sugar factory.
                  It sounds like someone needs to contact them and find out the scoop.

Even if there was sugar of any quantity left in them when dried, would it really be called molasses?

Edit to add: I sent Standlee an email.

Comment

• Original Poster

They seem to contradict themselves from one page to the next too.

I sent Standlee an email.
                    EXACTLY! You rock. Let me know what they say.
                    Dreaming in Color

Comment

I would like to try to ease some of the confusion on this thread. Standlee Hay Company does not add molasses to the beet pulp pellets or shreds. It is put on them at the sugar factory as a drying agent and to keep the pulp from fermenting. This is a common practice in the Sugar industry and is well known. We are required by the Association of Feed Controls to label our packaging per their rules. To quote their guidelines it states, Ever feed label must have a section which lists the name of each ingredient or its collective term, used in the manufacturing of that commercial feed. Molasses is used to manufacture beet pulp into pellets or into shreds. That is why we have to list it. We truck the shreds or pellets in from the sugar factory and bag them directly here at our plant in Eden Idaho. We do not manufacture them, we only bag them. If you read the back of the bag it states they are a product of Amalgamated Sugar Company.

It is important to check the guaranteed analysis on the packaging to ensure that you are getting a product low in Sugar if it is claiming to be un-molassed. Our beet pulp pellets have 8% sugar, the shreds have 10%, of this 3% comes from the molasses. If a person is concerned about the sugar content the shreds and pellets can be soaked with additional water and the water can be poured off, the shreds are the easiest to do this with as you can rinse them off without making a mash as you would with the pellets.

I would like to point out one other factor about checking guaranteed analysis on feed labels, we have yet to hear about a sugar factor in the United States that does not use the same technique to dry sugar beet pulp by spraying it with molasses. It may be important to find out what Sugar factory the beet pulp comes from and call them directly and ask them how they dry their beet pulp.

I hope this helps to clear things up. Anytime there is a question please give us a call. 208-825-5117 ext. Thank you! Sheri @ Standlee Hay Company
                      Last edited by Standlee Hay Company; Mar. 5, 2012, 04:38 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Comment

I would like to try to ease some of the confusion on this thread. Standlee Hay Company does not add molasses to the beet pulp pellets or shreds. It is put on them at the sugar factory as a drying agent and to keep the pulp from fermenting. This is a common practice in the Sugar industry and is well known. We are required by the Association of Feed Controls to label our packaging per their rules. To quote their guidelines it states, Ever feed label must have a section which lists the name of each ingredient or its collective term, used in the manufacturing of that commercial feed. Molasses is used to manufacture beet pulp into pellets or into shreds. That is why we have to list it. We truck the shreds or pellets in from the sugar factory and bag them directly here at our plant in Eden Idaho. We do not manufacture them, we only bag them. If you read the back of the bag it states they are a product of Amalgamated Sugar Company.

It is important to check the guaranteed analysis on the packaging to ensure that you are getting a product low in Sugar if it is claiming to be un-molassed. Our beet pulp pellets have 8% sugar, the shreds have 10%, of this 3% comes from the molasses. If a person is concerned about the sugar content the shreds and pellets can be soaked with additional water and the water can be poured off, the shreds are the easiest to do this with as you can rinse them off without making a mash as you would with the pellets.

I would like to point out one other factor about checking guaranteed analysis on feed labels, we have yet to hear about a sugar factor in the United States that does not use the same technique to dry sugar beet pulp by spraying it with molasses. It may be important to find out what Sugar factory the beet pulp comes from and call them directly and ask them how they dry their beet pulp.

I hope this helps to clear things up. Anytime there is a question please give us a call. 208-825-5117 ext. Thank you! Sheri @ Standlee Hay Company

Comment

• Original Poster

So I spoke with Amalgamated Sugar Company and apparently as far as they know ALL sugar manufacturers add back to beet pulp.

What they add back is not necessarily molasses, per say, but rather a "Concentrated Separated Byproduct" that contains about 7% sugar they cannot economically extract... so they add it back to the beet pulp in the drying process.

The guy I spoke to said that's a common misconception, what is being added back is not technically molasses, as molasses is over 20% sugar. He also said that even though it's not on the label as an ingredient, there is still some sugar added back, it's just not really molasses so it doesn't have to be listed as such.

I also spoke with MannaPro and they buy from several different sugar companies. The rep was very helpful and said she's get me the names of the suppliers so I can contact them as well.

Poulin and Blue Seal are not available in my area.
                          Last edited by drmgncolor; Mar. 5, 2012, 05:31 PM.
                          Dreaming in Color

Comment

The shreds are the easiest to remove it from. I drilled holes in a bucket and use warm water and keep rinsing it in the wash stall. Shreds soften as soon as they get wet enough, when the water runs clear the shreds are ready to serve.

You could also stack the drilled (colander) bucket in another bucket to soak, then rinse until the pulp is lighter in color and the water runs clear.

There were a couple of horses I've had to do that in the past for, it didn't add much time.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Seal Harbor View Post
                              The shreds are the easiest to remove it from. I drilled holes in a bucket and use warm water and keep rinsing it in the wash stall. Shreds soften as soon as they get wet enough, when the water runs clear the shreds are ready to serve.

You could also stack the drilled (colander) bucket in another bucket to soak, then rinse until the pulp is lighter in color and the water runs clear.

There were a couple of horses I've had to do that in the past for, it didn't add much time.
                              Sigh. I board at a large barn, so it needs to be a lot easier than: soak and rinse 3 times before feeding.

IR SUCKS.
                              Dreaming in Color

Comment

How about speedi-beet? 95% sugar free & soaked in 10 mins max.

http://www.emeraldvalleyequine.com/speedi-beet.cfm

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lieslot View Post
                                  How about speedi-beet? 95% sugar free & soaked in 10 mins max.

http://www.emeraldvalleyequine.com/speedi-beet.cfm
                                  I looked into that. The closest distributor is 4 hours away from me.
                                  Dreaming in Color

Comment

Would they not groundship it to your area? I order the 44lbs bags online and usually gets delivered in about 4 days, I never had a problem.

Comment

OP I too came to this conclusion about beet pulp last year... it appears all beetpulp (other than speedibeet) has SOME molasses on it from the initial manufacturing process.

In order to remove sugars, I soaked my beetpulp overnight and then rinsed it 3x. I had it tested and had a thread about it here:
                                      http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=270806

If you can't rinse/soak/rinse easily (you could r/s/r at home and refrigerate the 'clean' product and bring it daily for your horse), and a product like speedibeet is inconvenient for any reason (it was out of my price range iirc), then perhaps consider abandoning beetpulp altogether for something else?

ahh, eta, I see that its now been discovered that while not technically molasses, some product that happens to have sugar of some kind in it is added back to control dust.

Because I hated the rinsing 3x in the winter, and the large volumes of sand and grit I was finding in the rinsing, I abandoned BP entirely in favor of alfalfa cubes/pellets. Not as low NSC as r/s/r/ beetpulp by my boys seem to be able to handle it, and its vastly easier on my wallet and time management.
                                      Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lieslot View Post
                                        Would they not groundship it to your area? I order the 44lbs bags online and usually gets delivered in about 4 days, I never had a problem.
                                        yep, sure they would... for $50/bag to my zip code!
                                        Dreaming in Color

Comment

Working...
                                        X