• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Orchard grass, timothy or mix of both?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orchard grass, timothy or mix of both?

My supply of coastal will be running out mid-April. I am planning ahead so I can start mixing hay instead of having to do a drastic switch.

I can get timothy hay in 3x4x8 bales for $195 (supposedly weigh 1,060 pounds) or I can get 3x3x8 bales of Orchard (supposedly weigh 750 pounds for $120.) The orchard is reportedly good but does have a few weeds in it.

I have never fed either - my horses have always just eaten pretty much free choice coastal.

My plan is to feed whatever I get with the coastal - ideally working up to 1/2 coastal and 1/2 of the new kind of hay. I am hoping this will make my coastal last until there is a cutting in the spring. But, with the drought, it is possible I will completely run out of coastal.

I am feeding 3 mares (ages 17, 12 and 5 - all of which are on the chubby side) and a 21 month old gelding. The mares each get 1 pound of Nutrena Safe Choice twice a day along with coastal. The gelding gets 2 pounds of Safe Choice twice a day, 1/2 pound of Calf Manna twice a day, a little alfalfa and then the coastal.

So, would you recommend getting timothy, orchard or some of each and mix all 3 kinds of hay?

What are the pros and cons of each kind of hay?

TIA

Orchard grass is sort of the standard in our neck of the woods. (east north east) Timothy is often touted as the "ideal" or "favorite" horse hay. If I had a choice, I'd probably pick the mix. We grew some timothy years ago and, when I hit that part of the mow one winter, they all kinda got fat, LOL. It's harder to get more than one cutting of timothy around here if you don't get summer rain. First cutting is generally a couple weeks later than orchard grass to begin with. The mineral amounts and balance might cause you to adjust what else you feed, but it's very common horse hay.

Comment

Nutritionally, timothy and OG are about the same. The differences will be caused by how early in the growth cycle it was cut, if everything happened just right in the drying and baling, etc. I find there is a bit more hollow stem in 1st cut timothy but OG that gets too mature can have a lot of stem too. I actually prefer to buy Brome for my horses as there is less stem, more leaf and because it come on a bit later than OG and timothy the farmer has a better chance of cutting and baling that 1st cutting a bit earlier so the 1st cutting is better. OG grows the earliest but then spring rains may delay the cutting and baling so it get coarser. Timothy comes up a bit later than OG.

I just hate buying hay that I haven't seen and hopefully "tested" on my horses.

chicamuxen

Comment

The more variety you can feed, the better.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JB View Post
          The more variety you can feed, the better.
          So I assume you suggest I buy both some timothy bales and some orchard grass bales and feed a mix of all 3 (including the coastal I have.)

I am curious why it is better to mix more varieties of hay?

I did find a chart from Univ of KY that showed coastal, timothy and orchard grass are all pretty similar as far as nutritional value goes.

Comment

Most horses love timothy and our Vets really recommend it too. Mine sleep and pee in it whereas they inhale OG.

Timothy/OG bales here in Fl sell for a premium (as does most hay)
            "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

• Original Poster

Right now, I can get timothy or orchard grass big bales (1,060 lb timothy for $195 and 750 lb orchard grass for $120) cheaper than coastal. Coastal is going for $14ish per 50 pound small bale! That is, if you can even find any horse quality coastal. Thank you, drought.

Comment

We have fed both Orchard Grass and Timothy. Our horses seem to prefer Orchard Grass. It's grown in North Carolina and does not have the high transportation cost associated with Timothy.

I think you'd be pleased with either hay ... but if your horses are like ours they'll prefer Ordhard Grass.

Good luck!
                The other female in my husband's life has four legs

Comment

I feed mine timothy because he has an allergy to bermuda (in costal) but orchard is a good choice....price wise timothy is cheaper in this area (NC) and the quality is superb!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to get some of each, mix all 3 kinds of hay and see if the horses have a preference for one over the other. Maybe they will enjoy having a smorgasbord of hay! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by horsegeeks View Post
                      We have fed both Orchard Grass and Timothy. Our horses seem to prefer Orchard Grass. It's grown in North Carolina and does not have the high transportation cost associated with Timothy.

I think you'd be pleased with either hay ... but if your horses are like ours they'll prefer Ordhard Grass.

Good luck!
                      same thing here, we are feeding orchard grass (3x3x8 +/- 900#) $165 .. it came from either Co or Wy

Comment

orchardgrass and timothy are NOT similar in quality unless the orchardgrass is cut far too late...

it is best early cut pre bloom and it's about 16% CP at that time and goes down from there....

pure timothy,however,( even if grown by God himself) cannot pass 11% CP at any time...that is it's high point and it falls from there...which is one reason that timothy was the horse standard FOREVER for this reason...that and it's dried color remained a pleasing green...

if you can determine where it came from that helps and always from a commercial standpoint,buy the heavier bale in the same packages...that is an indication of more leaf density (weight) and less stem(air) and more product in the package

Tamara
                        Last edited by Tamara in TN; Jan. 19, 2012, 09:31 AM.
                        Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                        I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Originally posted by inca View Post
                          So I assume you suggest I buy both some timothy bales and some orchard grass bales and feed a mix of all 3 (including the coastal I have.)
                          If you have the ability to do that, that's what I'd do

I am curious why it is better to mix more varieties of hay?
                          Most (all?) hays have at least slightly different vit/min profiles. For sure they're going to vary if they are cut at different stages, are from different fields, or even from different states. So, the more variety, the more likely you are to be providing a more balanced diet

I did find a chart from Univ of KY that showed coastal, timothy and orchard grass are all pretty similar as far as nutritional value goes.
                          But, that probably depends on being cut at the optimal time for each.

Comment

wow.....I wish I could sell you all some of my orchard grass bales!!! Got tons of em, stacked to the ceiling....the horses steadfastly refuse to touch em!! Dunno why, they look pleasing, smell pleasing, feel pleasing....but all they will eat in straight timothy. So here I am, stuck with alot of Orchard grass bales they won't eat, and am scrambling to find timothy as our regular supplier ran out and only has OG hay.....I did find someone who has some timothy nearby, but their supply is not endless either.....

Don't understand how they can prefer the timothy which doesn't smell like anything and is stemmier than the nice, soft, fragrant, greener orchard grass.....

As of now, I am mixing the two and they get really peeved and will pick the timothy out and leave the OG....

Oh well, i try to look at the bright side, taking the time to pick through the hay to find the timothy stems means less hay eaten...and hopefully they will both drop a pound or two....

....but it also means alot of wasted hay. OG hay.....

Comment

A few years ago during our drought I ended up with some compressed Timothy from Canada. The horses were looking at me like "where have you been hiding this stuff??!!!" and practically licking the ground to get it all. It smelled like a little piece of heaven.

That said, that's the only Timothy I've ever fed, and I do hear it's easier to get "bad" Timothy that horses won't touch, than some other grasses. True or not, I don't know, but I do know it seems like a lot of people won't feed Timothy because their horses won't touch it

Have you tried putting out ONLY OG for several days? During that same drought year, I also ended up with 100 bales of "some kind of" Bermuda from Texas. The horses *hated* it. It stayed in the field for what seemed like days before I noticed it being eaten to any significant degree. But, it was all I had, it was all they got, and while they obviously didn't really like it, they ended up eating most of it (granted, there was more waste than anything else I'd ever fed).

Comment

Originally posted by Mah Navu View Post
                                wow.....I wish I could sell you all some of my orchard grass bales!!! Got tons of em, stacked to the ceiling....the horses steadfastly refuse to touch em!! Dunno why, they look pleasing, smell pleasing, feel pleasing....
                                I'm fighting the same battle this year and I'm in the process of negotiating with my hay guy to get rid of the Orchard Grass and replace it with something else. Right now, if I put two flakes in each stall in the evening, I still have two mostly intact flakes left in the morning. In talking to the hay guy, his explanation is that sometimes OG can get bitter if cut and baled late. It will smell and look fine to humans, but the mares don't like the bitter taste at all.

*star*
                                "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
                                - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

Hmmm... its interesting reading these posts.

We've been thrilled with the Orchard Grass hay we've bought. But we buy almost entirely from one farmer about an hour from us.

We need to restock now and we're getting a Timothy/Orchard Grass mix out of the PA/NY area. We've tried it and our horses like it. (Our source of Orchard Grass has sold all his square bales. )

To a large extent I think what you can successfully feed is a combination of your horse's taste and the source of the hay.

I'm very interested in trying Teff hay. But I'm afraid to feed anything but Orchard Grass and Timothy hay fearing that our "problem child" would colic on that too! Besides its still hard to find in our area ... and I don't like the idea of switching feeds.

Comment

Someone near-ish you has grown Teff in the last few years, darned if I can remember his name. I know a couple of folks who got his hay and said the horses LOVED it.

Comment

JB, yea...we tried using only the Orchard grass....and like Shoten Star said, it is left mostly intact by morning....Our OTTB will nibble at it, the draft won't even look at it...PERIOD.

*sigh* i remember the good old days when we first bought our OTTB,...he was an emaciated body score 2 then and ate his orchard grass at the facility he was at as if it was manna from heaven. 2 years later he is so fat people think he's an Appendix, and he no longer thinks he should be FORCED to eat orchard grass.

Our draft never had to deal with starvation and thinks it is her God given right to have timothy......and nothing else. She went a full day without eating one blade of it....we felt as if we were in a battle of wills, playing "chicken" so to speak, and we turned first. I know, shame on us. She's a fat lump of a horse and going a day or two without food, if she could have held out that long, would have done her some good in the weight department.....but we just didn't have the fortitude to wait her out.

so now i am stuck with a stall full of bales of nice looking orchard grass stacked to the ceiling....while the "timothy stall" needs constand replenishment...and is in short supply in my area.

Comment

The farmer we get our Orchard Grass hay from has been growing Teff for the last couple of years. He sells out of it quickly ... so even if we switched to it, our barn is not big enough to hold all the hay we need to get through until the next growing season. I don't like switching from "know quantity" hay.

We have a mare that colics easily and I'm really afraid to try anything she hasn't been on before.

Mah Navu,

Our horses are all convinced a famine is coming so nothing is ever left available. Our draft, in particular, is a determined to never go hungry again .... wait ... she never has!

Another mare comes into the stall and puts her head down in the feed trough so fast I'm always expecting to see cuts an bruises on her lips. You can stand outside her stall and hear the "thunk" when her head hits the bottom of the trough.

Comment

Working...
                                        X