• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Opinions please regarding vet checks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please regarding vet checks?

I have a horse for sale and may be putting her in training for some fine turning. This horse is sound, has always been sound, yet given my luck with vet checks I am considering having a pre-vet check done do insure she is likely to pass flexions and such before I put more money into full trainning. This horse has alway been sound, jumped to 3.9 foot. What do you think, is it silly do consider a pre-vet check?

I wouldn't. As she is sound and healthy, I don't really see the point as she could go lame the following week anyway from a kick in the field or whatever.

Comment

• Original Poster

It is just this horse has never been vetted before and I felt maybe doing flexion tests just to get an idea if she will pass a vet check before I continue to put lots of money into her training?

how important are flexions if horse is working sound at desired level?

Comment

Oh sorry, in that case then I would. I didn't realize (or missed it if you said) that the horse had never been flex tested.
        I think my PPE was in the $120-150 range, so it is worth doing before you invest more money.

Comment

A prepurchase exam is a snapshot of that horse at that hour of the day with no guarantee of future soundness. Your horse could pass a prepurchase today then you send it off to be tuned up and it could fail a prepurchase later for reasons X, Y & Z. However, doing a prepurchase (with xrays) before you put the horse on the market would give you proof down the road that there were no "fill in the blank" problems at the time you put the horse on the market.

Comment

I agree. My experience is also that many people ask about vetchecks before even bothering to come and look at the horse. A vetcheck with x-rays kind pf claryfies the healthsituatipn of the horse

(although my personal opinion is that all this x-raying is only good for the vets.. Vertainly many horses were doomed bevause of x-ray findings... And i'm sure in many cases no x-rays might habe been better..
            But that is only my personal opinion, in General x-rays are a must for todays sales...
            And OP beliebe me, you will feel a lot more confident once you know the status of your horse ( especially if it is ok)

Oh and I would choose a vet which is known to be tough on his judgements...
            https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
            https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Comment

Save your money as there is not a horse on the PLANET that can pass the flexion test in ALL FOUR LEGS.

Comment

Originally posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post
                Save your money as there is not a horse on the PLANET that can pass the flexion test in ALL FOUR LEGS.
                The young mare that I just bought did. She had flexions performed by a good sports medicine/lameness vet and had no positive response in any of her four legs, proximal or distal. It is true that many horses, especially once they've had more of a "career" and more wear and tear, will have positive flexions that may or may not indicate a problem that will affect their ability to do their job, but blanket statements like the one above are just not accurate.

OP, if your goal is to see if the mare has any potential issues that may show up on a vet check before you put her in training, it seems like a reasonable plan. However, if you're looking for a guarantee that she will pass the vet check when it comes time to sell, it won't help you there, as other posters have mentioned.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by lizajane09 View Post
                  The young mare that I just bought did. She had flexions performed by a good sports medicine/lameness vet and had no positive response in any of her four legs, proximal or distal. It is true that many horses, especially once they've had more of a "career" and more wear and tear, will have positive flexions that may or may not indicate a problem that will affect their ability to do their job, but blanket statements like the one above are just not accurate.

OP, if your goal is to see if the mare has any potential issues that may show up on a vet check before you put her in training, it seems like a reasonable plan. However, if you're looking for a guarantee that she will pass the vet check when it comes time to sell, it won't help you there, as other posters have mentioned.
                  My concern is putting out 1k plus a month into her training, I thought it might be nice to have an idea if she would pass the flexions. How fussy are buyers about flexions in a 10 year old working sound horse whom has been schooling 3'-3.3 courses foot in regular lessons and has jumped to 3.9 foot?

Comment

Originally posted by Fharoah View Post
                    My concern is putting out 1k plus a month into her training, I thought it might be nice to have an idea if she would pass the flexions. How fussy are buyers about flexions in a 10 year old working sound horse whom has been schooling 3'-3.3 courses foot in regular lessons and has jumped to 3.9 foot?
                    For that, if it will make you more comfortable, I think it's a fine idea. It can give you an idea of where she is (today, at least) and help you decide how you want to proceed.

As far as how buyers will feel about it... it will depend on the individual buyer, their comfort level, and what they plan to use the horse for. For me, personally, a mildly positive flexion in a horse as you described above would not be a dealbreaker. However, a severely positive flexion, especially if associated with a radiographic abnormality in that joint (degenerative joint disease, etc.), probably would be, depending on what I planned to do with the horse. Remember, the flexion tests are only one part of a pre-purchase exam, and ultimately it is the whole horse that will have to be taken into consideration!

Comment

Really? I've had many pass the flexion with flying colors.

Comment

If that was the case then find a different vet. They may be pulling the leg too hard. There is a science to doing flexions correctly.

Comment

I think if the basic vet check isn't going to run you hundreds of dollars, it might be worth it to do it so you have an idea.

But, I think even if she does flex positive at all, its up to the person buying to decide if they can live with it or not. My horse is older (15 this year) and she flexed slightly positive in one of her hocks. Even for someone who would be using her for the same thing I am (she's supposed be my 3'-3'3" horse) it might have been a deal breaker. But I was okay with the fact she would probably need some extra maintenance.

Comment

i would do hoof tests and flexions. I wouldn't bother doing x-rays unless you are going to sell the horse in the 5-figure range and up. Buyers might be willing to look at the horse more because they wouldn't have to pay for xrays if the horse is on the more expensive side.

You probably will spend $300-400 dollars on some external checks versus spending tons of money on training that isn't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by davistina67 View Post
                              If that was the case then find a different vet. They may be pulling the leg too hard. There is a science to doing flexions correctly.
                              Agreed. That's why I am VERY particular about who flexes my horses.
                              Originally posted by EquineImagined
                              My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Comment

I did that on one in a situation just like you, and he passed it just fine. Went on about 6 months later to pass a full PPE.

On the otherside, had a friend who bought an unstarted 2yr old did not do any sort of PPE before she bought him. He did 1st level dressage and was a fantastic easy 3' hunter. At age 10 she had to sell for financial reasons. He failed. He had at some point before she bought him BROKEN his knee! Who would have thought, he never had an off day in 7 years! He ended up going from lower mid 5 figures to 5k! Everyone just got so scared by that xray.
                                Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Comment

• Original Poster

We are asking the 10-15k range hunter type.

So if a working horse is mild to flexions (just as an example) would it be a candidate for seller or is it every buyer to there own?

Comment

my appy failed his vet check due to a bit of stiffness in a foreleg after flexing. I bougt him anyhow. He never showed any soreness in that leg.....ever! I had him for almost 20 years, though we rode for fun and on trails only.

Comment

I work at yearling sales in the TB industry and it's common for sellers to have a PP exam including x-rays before the sale to show people who are interested. If a buyer is serious, they will usually have their own vet do another, but good x-rays can generate a lot of interest in an otherwise questionable horse.
                                      IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

What would happen if mild changes showed on radiographs? If the vet referred to those as normal changes?

Comment

Working...
                                        X