• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Any experience with Pentaussie?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customer service! Wow, talk about a mismatch if temperament and job description.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by davistina67 View Post
      Oh my. You are having a bad day. Customer service. Hmmmm, I guess that would be one way to put it of being on the road for decades! Keep dreaming sunshine!

Time to honk your horn again, side tracked thread coming through!
      Decades? You graduated from tech school in 2002. You work at a VCA small animal clinic. How is that "On the road"?
      Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
      Sam: A job? Does it pay?
      Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
      Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Originally posted by Grataan View Post
        Clearly you have never heard of things such as iPhones, laptops in the truck, and DAYS OFF after a night on call. I cannot FATHOM you being allowed near clients let alone patients.

Clearly you do not have much horse experience since you think that every horse can be dosed with oral medication. Do you not have any feline patients that have owners who are unable to pill them? This is no different.

More then likely I have been doing this longer then you. If you like to take the easy way out and write scripts for convince sake that is up to you. You should try educating your clients. The point is, not every vet likes to break the law or bend the rules!

Comment

Funny, I asked you!
          Yes, you did. And I answered you. If you'll go back in the thread, you will see I have quoted two manufacturers of pentosan.

One is FDA approved, from a US manufacturer, available in capsule form, for human bladder issues.

The other (equine injectible formulation) needs to be imported from Australia, with tons of paperwork and customs issues (as noted previously by an actual veterinarian).

Are YOU aware of another manufacturer? I am genuinely curious. Stop dodging questions and just provide the answers - IF you have them....

Techs like you are the reason I left veterinary practices (one large, referral only equine hospital where I mostly worked in the NICU and one large, referral only small animal hospital where I generally worked in the neurology ward). Not worth the hassle.

Other people have posted their qualifications (vet, pharmacist, etc.) so others reading this thread are aware they might actually know what they're talking about. What's your qualifications?

Comment

Originally posted by tarynls View Post
            Yes, you did. And I answered you. If you'll go back in the thread, you will see I have quoted two manufacturers of pentosan.

One is FDA approved, from a US manufacturer, available in capsule form, for human bladder issues.

The other (equine injectible formulation) needs to be imported from Australia, with tons of paperwork and customs issues (as noted previously by an actual veterinarian).

Are YOU aware of another manufacturer? I am genuinely curious. Stop dodging questions and just provide the answers - IF you have them....

Techs like you are the reason I left veterinary practices (one large, referral only equine hospital where I mostly worked in the NICU and one large, referral only small animal hospital where I generally worked in the neurology ward). Not worth the hassle.

Other people have posted their qualifications (vet, pharmacist, etc.) so others reading this thread are aware they might actually know what they're talking about. What's your qualifications?
            So, you are advocating vets to break the law because you don't want to have the manufacturer ship the product here? If it is available through the manufacturer what is the basis for compounding it? And yes, serious question as to why it would be ok to do this?

Comment

oh yes, I totally enjoy bending the rules. I'm just making it up, all horses poop butterflies, fart rainbows, and are completely easy to medicate in every manner.

There is no shame in writing a prescription. There is no shame in using compounded medications. Using a compounded medication does not mean it is illegal unless it is on the banned list or is available in that form as an approved drug already. Just because I carry something in my Bowie box doesn't mean I'm peddling it. It's perfectly legal in my state for me to use compounded medications on patients. Maybe that's not legal in your state?

You should climb down off your high horse and take of your judgey pants and just listen to other practitioner's points of view.

Comment

You are aware, aren't you, that one can't just willy-nilly import medications from out of the country? That it is generally frowned upon by the government if there is an approved form already in the country that can be compounded into the desired form and strength?

Comment

Now we're back to insisting that compounding is across-the-board illegal again?
                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                    If I could only use drugs on-label for the conditions for which they're "officially" indicated, I would have about five things at my disposal for the 1000 different conditions I treat. My days would be short and I'd be out cleaning the barn by 10am, done for the day.

Actually, well, I'd be in jail if using drugs "off label" was truly "illegal".
                    FWIW, delta, the ELUD regs for humans are looses than those for domestic animals...
                    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

So, you are advocating vets to break the law because you don't want to have the manufacturer ship the product here? If it is available through the manufacturer what is the basis for compounding it?
                      a) No where did I ever say that I advocated ANY vet to "break the law" - or rather, what you THINK is "breaking the law". I certainly did not twist my vet's arm to get a prescription! HE SUGGESTED THE USE OF PENTOSAN.

In my personal case, my vet preferrs to have pentosan compounded in a different strength/concentration than what is commercially available as the injectible form from Australia. WHICH IS LEGAL. And you didn't know that, because this is the first time I've written it. You ASSUMED. And we all know where assuming things gets you.

See excerpt from AVMA compounding regulations below:

Federal regulations require that in order to compound a drug legally:

A valid Veterinarian-Client-Patient relationship (VCPR) must exist. YES, IT DOES

The health of an animal must be threatened or suffering or death may result from failure to treat. SUFFERING - If you count lame as suffering, then yes.

There must be no FDA-approved, commercially available animal or human drug that, when used as labeled or in an extralabel fashion in its available dosage form and concentration, will appropriately treat the patient. PENTOSAN IMPORTED FROM AUSTRALIA IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THE CONCENTRATION I HAVE.

The product must be made from an FDA-approved commercially available animal or human drug. IT IS.

The product must be compounded by a licensed veterinarian or a licensed pharmacist on the order of a veterinarian within the practice of veterinary medicine. YES, IT IS COMPOUNDED BY A LICENSED PHARMACIST, WHO FOLLOWS MY VET'S RX.

The compounded product must be safe and effective. IT IS.

The amount of product compounded must be commensurate with the need of the animal identified in the VCPR-based prescription. SEE ABOVE.

For animals produced for human consumption, the veterinarian must establish an extended withdrawal interval for the compounded product and ensure food safety. Compounding is not permitted if it results in violative food residue, or any residue that may present a risk to public health. MY HORSE WILL NOT BE EATEN, SO NO ISSUE THERE.

No drug may be compounded for food animals from drugs listed on the prohibited list. SEE ABOVE.

Veterinarians must comply with all aspects of the federal extralabel drug use regulations including record-keeping and labeling requirements. YES, MY VET COMPLIES WITH ALL REQUIREMENTS.

All relevant state laws relating to compounding must be followed. THAT'S A NO BRAINER.

Sorry to spell this out, step by step, but you are just SO positive you're right on this matter and you are not taking all factors into account (the factors I listed above).
                      Last edited by tarynls; Jan. 17, 2012, 08:37 PM. Reason: Aussie info

Comment

oh yes, I totally enjoy bending the rules. I'm just making it up, all horses poop butterflies, fart rainbows, and are completely easy to medicate in every manner.

There is no shame in writing a prescription. There is no shame in using compounded medications. Using a compounded medication does not mean it is illegal unless it is on the banned list or is available in that form as an approved drug already. Just because I carry something in my Bowie box doesn't mean I'm peddling it. It's perfectly legal in my state for me to use compounded medications on patients. Maybe that's not legal in your state?

You should climb down off your high horse and take of your judgey pants and just listen to other practitioner's points of view.
                        If you were truly up on the laws, you would know it is not a per state issue. Just saying! BTW, I have listened to other practitioners for decades. I know of a couple out of like 30 that will write pentosan. NONE will write for compounded bute, there just isn't a good reason to any more. I can't think of a single time a vet I have worked for has.

Comment

a) No where did I ever say that I advocated ANY vet to "break the law" - or rather, what you THINK is "breaking the law". I certainly did not twist my vet's arm to get a prescription! HE SUGGESTED THE USE OF PENTOSAN.

In my personal case, my vet preferrs to have pentosan compounded in a different strength/concentration than what is commercially available. WHICH IS LEGAL. And you didn't know that, because this is the first time I've written it. You ASSUMED. And we all know where assuming things gets you.

See excerpt from AVMA compounding regulations below:

Federal regulations require that in order to compound a drug legally:

A valid Veterinarian-Client-Patient relationship (VCPR) must exist. YES, IT DOES

The health of an animal must be threatened or suffering or death may result from failure to treat. SUFFERING - If you count lame as suffering, then yes.

There must be no FDA-approved, commercially available animal or human drug that, when used as labeled or in an extralabel fashion in its available dosage form and concentration, will appropriately treat the patient. PENTOSAN IMPORTED FROM AUSTRALIA IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THE CONCENTRATION I HAVE.

The product must be made from an FDA-approved commercially available animal or human drug. IT IS.

The product must be compounded by a licensed veterinarian or a licensed pharmacist on the order of a veterinarian within the practice of veterinary medicine. YES, IT IS COMPOUNDED BY A LICENSED PHARMACIST, WHOM FOLLOWS MY VET'S RX.

The compounded product must be safe and effective. IT IS.

The amount of product compounded must be commensurate with the need of the animal identified in the VCPR-based prescription. SEE ABOVE.

For animals produced for human consumption, the veterinarian must establish an extended withdrawal interval for the compounded product and ensure food safety. Compounding is not permitted if it results in violative food residue, or any residue that may present a risk to public health. MY HORSE WILL NOT BE EATEN, SO NO ISSUE THERE.

No drug may be compounded for food animals from drugs listed on the prohibited list. SEE ABOVE.

Veterinarians must comply with all aspects of the federal extralabel drug use regulations including record-keeping and labeling requirements. YES, MY VET COMPLIES WITH ALL REQUIREMENTS.

All relevant state laws relating to compounding must be followed. THAT'S A NO BRAINER.

Sorry to spell this out, step by step, but you are just SO positive you're right on this matter and you are not taking all factors into account (the factors I listed above).
                          If you would have simply said that your vet has a custom doseage made up then I could see, but you decided to play games!

And yes, in that case, it would make sense but it is a bit of a stretch of the law but yes, it is a loophole.

Comment

You are aware, aren't you, that one can't just willy-nilly import medications from out of the country? That it is generally frowned upon by the government if there is an approved form already in the country that can be compounded into the desired form and strength?
                            We tried to get pergolide tablets imported from the UK before Prascend became available in the US. No go. Not one UK pharmacy would accept a veterinary prescription from a vet licensed in the US.

I know I mentioned before we used to import a cardiac drug from the UK prior to it being available in the US. The important part there is the prescribing vet went to vet school in the UK and was licensed to practice veterinary medicine in both the UK and US.

Comment

If you would have simply said that your vet has a custom doseage made up then I could see, but you decided to play games!

And yes, in that case, it would make sense but it is a bit of a stretch of the law but yes, it is a loophole.
                              How on EARTH are you calling this a "loophole"?

The compounding rules are quite clear on this. If a drug is not commercially available in the strength/concentration required by the animal, than compounding that strength/concentration is PREFECTLY legal.

Comment

What I want to know davistina, is why you care so darn much? Why would it matter to you if some vet you'd never heard of in another state writes an "illegal" script, or a lay person floats someone else's horse's teeth, or someone else's horse is out on clover and gets the slobbers, or someone feeds their horse round bales?
                                Really I want to know how you've become the insanely vehement police for these subjects.
                                "As soon as you're born you start dyin'
                                So you might as well have a good time"

Comment

How on EARTH are you calling this a "loophole"?

The compounding rules are quite clear on this. If a drug is not commercially available in the strength/concentration required by the animal, than compounding that strength/concentration is PREFECTLY legal.
                                  Then why did your vet determine that they know more then anyone else doing research including csu? Just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rashah View Post
                                    What I want to know davistina, is why you care so darn much? Why would it matter to you if some vet you'd never heard of in another state writes an "illegal" script, or a lay person floats someone else's horse's teeth, or someone else's horse is out on clover and gets the slobbers, or someone feeds their horse round bales?
                                    Really I want to know how you've become the insanely vehement police for these subjects.
                                    Honestly, it gets old when clients ask for scripts because they said they saw on the internet board that other vets write scripts for this stuff. Is it a good product, yes. Will most vets write it, no way. That is why! It gets very old for anyone working in a legit vet practice.

Comment

Then why did your vet determine that they know more then anyone else doing research including csu? Just asking.
                                      I cannot respond to your statement as it makes absolutely no sense. Where did I say my vet knows more than anyone else? Oh, that's right. I didn't.

My vet prescribes medications appropriate for my horse's weight and medical issues (as should all vets). I will not explain them to you; frankly, it's none of your business.

Comment

The only one playing games is you.
                                        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by tarynls View Post
                                          I cannot respond to your statement as it makes absolutely no sense. Where did I say my vet knows more than anyone else? Oh, that's right. I didn't.

My vet prescribes medications appropriate for my horse's weight and medical issues (as should all vets). I will not explain them to you; frankly, it's none of your business.
                                          Avoiding the question? Why is you horse so special? Do you get Legend compounded also because your horse has some special weight?

Comment

Working...
                                          X