• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rebuilding muscle in an aged (25 y.o) horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding muscle in an aged (25 y.o) horse

Hi all
    My boy lost a significant amount of weight (over 100#) due to various reasons, but is happily putting it back on. However, when he lost the weight, he lost some of his muscle in his hind quarters.

I was wondering if folks have had any success with older horses regaining muscle after they have lost it for whatever reason. I know the adage "trotting builds muscle, cantering builds wind" so have been slowly working him on trot sets in hand and on the lunge (will start him back u/s in the spring). I also will confer with my vet later this month but wanted to see if others could share their lessons learned, thank you!!!
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Light work, what are you feeding to increase his weight? He might never look beefy after this, but with the correct diet and exercise you should see some muscle development.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

• Original Poster

whbar, thanks. He is on feeding as per coordinated with vet, Triple Crown Senior, chopped alfalfa forage and 24x7 access to grass (run in shelter) plus heated auto waterer. His calorie intake is fine (he is gaining his weight back thankfully), he is on the best supplement package (platinum performance, cocasoya, etc), his blood work is now super (was not when he was losing & in bad situation), he is on good turnout so activity is good, plus he is lightly worked 3-4 days a week for about 15-20 minutes. I am indeed building him back slowly,
      Appy Trails,

Comment

I'm bringing back my 17 yr old guy into light work. He's been retired for 5 years and lost a lot of weight in the summer due to various reasons. He's been moved to a new barn and has re-gained all his weight, but is still sorely lacking in muscle. Because of this, his saddle doesn't fit properly so we're starting off super slow, plus he has some soundness issues so all he's going to be doing is walking/trotting.

I spent a month handwalking him along the property 3-4 times a week in just halter. Now I'm handwalking him in the arena but he's wearing bridle, surcingle, and very long side reins. The side reins are primarily for extra control but I've found he's willingly and happily flexing into them as we walk around. They're long, so he's in a fairly long and low frame, but is lifting up through his back and - I hope - starting to build muscle. Maybe some side reins would help? Just make sure they're comfortable enough for him so he's not being forced into too much too soon. Though it sounds like you're approaching this very conscientiously!

Just for curiosity's sake, how long are you handwalking at a time and how long before you're going to start him under saddle again? I'm handwalking 10-15 minutes 3-4x/week and doing a slow build up to 30 minutes at a time before I put him under saddle. We're aiming for under saddle walking around February. Longing is out for my guy as it puts too much stress on his bad leg...and he acts like a loon for the first few minutes and always worries me he's going to hurt himself.

Also, I was thinking about putting him on a lysine supplement to help but haven't decided if it'll be worth it or not.

Comment

• Original Poster

OTV, I lunge or long line him for 15-20 minutes, pretty much walk trot (more trot each week), with a few canter circles each time. Have also been walking and trotting over 2 sets of 2 raised cavelleti (lowest setting) to encourage flexing for those steps. Then hand walking him 5-10 minutes. He lost the muscle mostly in his HQs, which are still pretty substantial since he is 1/2 QH, but not where they were. Thankfully he is nice and sound. He only has to go on the bit when he is long lined, mostly it has been on a 20+m circle on a long lunge-line. He will go under saddle 1st nice day of March. I decided to hold off to give him some time, plus the weather is *supposed* to be yucky, plus this is my busy time at work, so it works out.

I think the Lysine in his Platinum Performance is plenty so we are set there, but a good thought.
          Appy Trails,

Comment

I've been bringing my 27-yr old back to work after a 3+ month break, first due to a bad case of scratches causing lameness in front foot, then colic surgery. Obviously after surgery he'd lost quite a bit of weight, but has regained it with good hay and a bit of Senior feed. By the time he was cleared to go back to his pasture, I started ponying him on short walks, building up from 20 to 60 min over a 3-wk period (2-3 times a week). Then he got to trot a little bit while ponied, or lunged at walk/trot for 15 min until he was allowed to be ridden again (90 days post surgery). Since I've started riding him again, we go for long trail walks, 45-60 min, with some trot work, and occasionally a short canter, 2-3 times/week, weather and footing permitting, and if not, 15-20 min lunging, or arena work at the 3 gaits. I don't even think cantering is necessary at this point, I prefer the longer walks, especially uphill, to build up his muscles again. Re-conditioning a senior horse should take its time and I am not in a hurry. I am actually a bit more concerned about him gaining too much weight, as he is a very easy keeper - gotta love the Arabs!

Comment

Trail rides at the walk on varying terrain if you have trail access. Lots of downward transitions working correctly. When I was trying to build my gelding back up, we set simple, short goals like "5 trot to walk transitions"...."5 walk to halt transitions" really working on a good square halt. And walking/trotting poles helped too...but my favorite would have to be long trail rides...and you can even work the transitions while trail riding And sounds like your feed is wonderful...I was going to suggest alfalfa.

Comment

Sounds like you are on the right track with everything, it just takes some time!
                http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

I think when you start him under saddle again, I would get out of the arena and walk alot up and down and all around. As his stamina improves, I would start adding a little bit of trotting and see how it goes...

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all, once he gets back under tack I will do those routes. I also do some trick training with him, which while mostly mental vs physical, keeps him happy and fresh.
                    Appy Trails,

Comment

Working...
                    X