• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Snot from one nostril only; update post 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snot from one nostril only; update post 12

About two weeks ago, a horse I have on trial started having yellow snot out one nostril. Vet was out and after conferring with owner, it was decided to do one week of Uniprim (Sulfadiazine and Trimethoprim) powder. This did not completely clear it up.

He now has a vet appointment for Monday to have his mouth/teeth examined, x-rays etc. I am quite sure it is dental, but can anyone think of any other reason one nostril would be snotty? He has never had a fever and is otherwise perfectly normal. Before the Uniprim reduced the snot, it could get pretty stinky.

Edited to add that he is coming 15.
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Dec. 27, 2011, 11:59 AM.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

I always start with a scope. Best guess is sinus or guttural pouch. A scope would most likely show either.
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

My mare started like that on a Friday, just one nostril, yellowish discharge. By Sunday, the discharge was heavy and stinking up the whole barn. It turned out to be an abscessed tooth root (upper molar) which had to be removed at the clinic. Antibiotics for 6 weeks and packing change every two weeks. She fully recovered and never missed a meal!!! but did the barn ever stink!!

Comment

A neighbor's horse had a big sinus cyst that caused 1 sided yellow green nasal discharge.

Human children will have 1 sided green nasal discharge after they put beans and other small objects high up in 1 nostril.

Comment

My guess would be a bad tooth.
          Originally posted by EquineImagined
          My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Comment

Likely a fractured molar leading to a sinus infection.

In early November, my mare had a flap sinsotomy to remove the fractured molar and to 'clean' out her sinsuses. A foley catheter was also inserted through her forehead into her sinuses. She looked like a frankenhorse with a tube stuck in her head, and a 1.5" x 3" inch rectangular incision site that was swollen. I had to flush 4 liters of dilute betadine solution though the catheter twice a day for 3 weeks. And no hay, only soaked hay cubes for 3 weeks as well. My mare has been on antibiotics (TMS and metronidazole) twice a day since then.

A sinus infection is not something to be conserative or play the 'wait and see' game, which is good that the vet is coming out for a dental exam and x-rays. I recommend getting to the bottom of it asap. It will save a lot of time and $$$ in the long run.
            Last edited by Karosel; Dec. 24, 2011, 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

My horse got a snotty nostril after a trailer ride. At first it seemed like just a slight cold or something. It ended up being a lung infection and his legs blew up and he needed antibiotics for like 2 weeks or something.

Comment

no doubt the tooth fairy would be able to help
                Charlie Piccione
                Natural Performance Hoof Care

Comment

Not to scare you but a sinus infection is not something to mess around with. I have dealt (am dealing) with it twice. I had an older mare who got one, had to have the surgery to drill into the sinus, and I was left to flush it every day for 2 months, twice daily injections, and smz's. Ended up costing me around 2k. Hers never smelled bad.

Fast forward, I just had to go through this with a new horse. We put him on SMZ's, and Gentocyn for 2 weeks. So far, his nostril has remained clear (minus a day or so when it made a reappearance). His absolutely REEKED. I am really hoping he stays clear, because its not really not something I want to deal with.

I hope you're able to get a firm diagnosis and an aggressive treatment in place. Even with aggressive measures, it is no guarantee that its "cured" and from what I've been told, the horse is more prone to them. I sure hope not!

Comment

like spacytracy, I also had to deal w/ sinus problem; started w/ a one sided nasal discharge; antibiotics cleared it up, then it came back; more antibiotics, came back. Never a smell. Ended up w/ the same "roto-router" sinus clearing surgery though I was lucky in that I did not have to do the after-treatments. Poor mare (gray/almost white) truly did look like Frankenstein with the big incision stitched up on her forehead. I was also "lucky" in that I was in and out of OSU for about $900.
                    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Originally posted by Karosel View Post
                      Likely a fractured molar leading to a sinus infection.

This. My friend's gelding had the sewer smelling mucus from one nostril, turned out to be a fractured molar and a whopping big sinus infection.
                      Two trips to U of Ga. and he is fine now. Wasn't a cheap fix although they were able to rock the tooth out and do the hole in the head to the sinus with him standing so that helped.

The hole in the poor things head was about quarter sized an we were amazed at how quickly that filled in and disappeared.
                      You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Just for historical purposes, so this will be helpful in a future search, horse had jaw x-rayed. It is indeed a cracked tooth. The last one in the back, unfortunately! Xrays are being examined by vet/dentist today, for recommendation. Horse is not mine, so owner will make decisions.
                        Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

Glad you found a dx. Good for you for helping the owner. My suggestion for the owner is really read up on how to best treat this. There are a couple of different methods, and the owner will surely want to do it the least $$$/best effective way possible.

With my horse, the hole had to stay open for 2 months, so I could flush the sinus daily with a betadine solution in a catheter. The hole wants to close quickly, so I had to manipulate it daily with my finger to keep it open.

My horse was also knocked completely out for the surgery, at the vet, followed by a 5 day hospital stay. So Im sure that contributed to my costs (total of $2000). I have heard many others say that their horses were done sedated and standing at their barn - which can make it more cost effective for sure!

Best of luck to the horse. When you first hear "sinus infection" its like oh, ok a cold. But its so much trickier with horses!!

Comment

Working...
                          X