• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Coronary band wound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronary band wound

So today the farrier came and it was a disaster To make a long story short, the heat we have been experiencing in the south disappeared to a cold, wet, rainy day which just fried my 3 year old TB mares brain. At one point she spooked and stepped on her left front with her right front and cut her coronary band pretty bad. We are still unsure of how she did as much damage as she did because her shoes had already been pulled and hadn't been put back on yet. After getting her reshod we cleaned up the wound, which had bled quite a bit, covered it with a clean dressing and secured with vet wrap. My question to all my fellow COTHers is what is your treatment protocol for a coronary band wound? What type of dressing would you keep on it? She wasn't lame when I turned her out for a bit, nor when I brought her back up for the night so I am keeping my fingers crossed she will stay sound. I went ahead and gave her some bute with her PM feed just in case though. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

It's a wound like any other flesh wound, really. They do bleed quite copiously though and can be quite sore.

Absolute worse case scenario, the CB is damaged enough to cause the hoof to grow out with some deformity permanently--like damaging your nail bed. But it has to be pretty serious for that to happen and is unlikely to result from an unshod hoof.

You may well see some damage grow down through the hoof, like when an abscess pops out the top. This rarely causes an issue in my experience.

(I have one that is a master at stepping on himself, so I see these injuries more than I would like!)

Comment

I would treat it like any other wound on the legs - keep it wrapped, clean daily and use whatever ointment your vet advises you to. Once the wound is healing over, you can use Prep H to decrease scarring. I don't usually like to Bute unless warranted - swelling, pain, lameness, etc. especially with wounds, since it can tend to slow down the healing process, IMHO.
      The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

I agree with treating it like any other wound. My older guy nearly took off the bulb of his heal and has a permanent deformity of the hoof, but that was an extremely serious injury.
        My young horse is currently growing out a small deformity on his hoof from a small injury to the coronet band, in the next 2 shoeing cycles it will probably gone and it hasn't caused any issues.

Comment

My gelding lodged his foot under his stall door last night, bruising his coronary band and hoof pretty badly (luckily no blood!) but he is pretty lame. Vet recommended bute as this can be a pretty painful, sore type of injury.

Im curious to see how his foot grows out.

If there is a wound, I would keep it wrapped if possible!
          Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
          White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

One of my mares freaked out in the stocks at the vet clinic while sedated. She started kicking and panicking violently and within seconds the clinic looked like a CSI murder scene. Turned out it was a flap of coronary band maybe 1/2" wide that had been sliced and peeled up. The vets cleaned and bandaged it, and I just kept it cleaned and coated with various types of wound sprays and salves and it healed up fine. It was on a black hoof, and a white stripe grew down the hoof, but it eventually grew back out to black again.

Comment

• Original Poster

It looked so much worse initially than it has turned out to be thank goodness! She was completely sound today which makes me very happy! I'm gonna keep it wrapped for the next couple days just to keep it clean but I think it is going to be just fine . Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Bumping this back up. How long was recovery/how long until you had a sound horse and when were you back in the saddle? If the coronet band was damaged, how long was this damage visible for?

My horse hurt his coronet band on Saturday - really good 2.5" slice across and a small verticle slice into the hoof. No idea how he did it but boy was he lame, we thought he broke something! It was bad enough that they actually ended up doing surgery (after X-rays to make sure the coffin bone wasnt broken) to make sure the coffin joint wasnt punctured and to flush out infection. He's in a foot cast for 10 days to make sure the coronet band heals without a deformity, and 3 weeks after that of stall rest once the cast comes off and he comes home.

I was assuming I wouldnt be able to ride for months until the foot had grown out a bunch, but from what I am reading here, am I over-estimating?
                Last edited by authentic pony; Nov. 11, 2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

My gelding sliced right accross his coronary band at the top of the hoof line (hind foot, but the front of the foot not back). To be honest, I did nothing - you couldnt wrap it really (each time he moved his foot bandage would shift and bunch). I think for 1 week I did put a stable wrap overtop of his hoof/leg to protect it from the dirt (which again, didnt work great).

Pretty much time and neglect did the trick. He developed proud flesh in thearea (which was good...because that was the only way it was going to close and stop oozing). As time went on, the proud flesh diminished and kind of grew into his hoof. It looks like a very small scar at his hoofline now, barely noticible.

During this whole time, he was always sound and showing in the amateur owner hunters. He (and I) were very lucky.

Comment

FWIW, my 6yo Arab clearly injured his coronet band before I got him when he was 3. I have no idea what happened, but he has a small scar on the inside of his left front. It actually grows all the way out with a small crack in his hoof. Vet and farrier seem to think it's no big deal. He's never worn shoes a day in his life and I do endurance on him barefoot. I just have to stay on top of his trims (6 weeks max) or it starts to chip a lot at the bottom of the crack. It doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest though. So it's not necessarily the end of the world.

Comment

I would agree with no Bute, you WANT her to feel the wound if it really is painful and REDUCE her playing around. Pain serves as a WARNING to horse that they are not 100%, so go easier in their activities.

Sorry to sound hard, but seeing Buted horses turned out and destroying days or weeks of healing time, wound repair and their bandages just makes me ANGRY. He hurt himself, now feel a bit of pain and CONTROL yourself while healing!!

Pain is universal warning to whoever is having it, things are NOT NORMAL, and most react pretty well by limiting themselves so pain is minimal.

You are not dealing with children, can't explain because horses only understand the NOW. If it hurts, they move slower, letting things get better by not stressing the injury. Bute may make YOU feel better, but probably not helping the injury or horse in getting healed by easing the pain reaction.

Comment

DD's mare has cut hers twice. Both times were from scrambling in trailers - once when we figured out there was a problem and once when bad mommy forgot the shipping boots at home. Both times, it looked nasty and she was a touch off for a day or so, but then it just looked icky. We kept it clean (thankfully neither happened when it was muddy as she hates being stalled at home) and it healed fine. It did, however, create a horizontal crack in the hoof that grew out over time. Our amazing farrier worked with it to make sure it didn't create any problems - and she was barefoot the last time it happened.
                        A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Working...
                        X