• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Turn-out: Is it necessary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn-out: Is it necessary?

Is turn-out necessary to keep a horse physically and mentally happy?

I'm interested in hearing both sides of this argument from you COTHers!
    Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.

Yes.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Very improtant IMO! I have seen horses from both backgrounds, and my own included would not be happy without turnout
      RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

I have kept horses both ways, although I have never kept a horse in just a stall, they have always had at least a run and could get outside. .
        I think they are much healthier and happier when they can have pasture turnout with other horses.
        Sometimes that is not possible.
        Nina's Story
        Epona Comm on FB

Comment

Of course. How can it be good for an animal designed to move and graze all the time to be locked in a stall constantly?
          Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
          Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
          VW sucks.

Comment

IMO, yes. Not only turnout, but also socialization in a herd.

Comment

Well, you have to define "necessary".

It is natural (as much as domestication is "natural", and turnout is how we best replicate the state of "natural" in domestic settings) and the way it's meant to be. However, most creatures have amazing abilities to adapt to the unnatural. One can keep a human being away from social contact and deprive him of any means of using his marvelous brain, and he will very likely survive and even possibly be "healthy" and "happy" if he doesn't know any better. But it's more likely a human being allowed to do what comes naturally is going to be healthier and happier.

And you also have to define "turnout".

Is a horse that's allowed to eat lush green grass 24/7 until it founders "healthy" and "happy"? Is an animal starving on a 50 acre dirt lot with no companions and no shelter "healthy" and "happy"? Is a horse that's kept in otherwise impeccable conditions with hand-grazing, trips on the horse-walker and the very best of feed, care and husbandry NOT healthy or happy?

Points to ponder.

But for the sake of brevity (not my strong suit) I'll make like ChocoMare and say YES.
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

Yes.
                Amanda

Comment

DEFINATLY!!!

I have been in both situations, stall with 12x12 paddock attatched (somtimes bigger), they only got turnout if someone elses horse wasnt in the arena or hill (no one liked using the hill though, a horse broke his hip out there). Some of the horses would develop bad habits (kicking the stall walls for attention, a few would play with the stalls, one would pick up the mats and through them around if he got bored, one couldnt be turned out bc she would go NUTS). A few cribbed but that has a habit they already had.

And now both of my horses are on 24/7 turnout and they are very happy and healthy. A few of the above mentioned horses moved to diffrent barns where they had turnout, but where in stalls at night, and there bad habits went away. They stoped kicking the stalls, throughing mats, even the cribber wouldnt crib nearly as much. Also a I know a horse that would weave and weave and weave, now that shes on 24/7 turnout, she does it only if she gets SUPER SUPER nervous. horses that had lameness, got sounder because they could move around as much as they want.

I could never go back to having a horse in a stall all the time.

The ones that are in a herd are also much happier, my friend has her stallion prospect in a herd (no mares as hes realized hes a stallion, but had been before he realized that), and he doesnt freak when he sees another horse (start calling and jigging like a lot of other stallion i know). he can touch noses with mares and other horses and not try to clobber them. I have seen other stallions brougt up and in this situation and they are the same way.

None of the horses have aggrestion or behavioral problems.
                  Last edited by faluut42; Jun. 3, 2008, 10:24 PM.
                  "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

Comment

Yes, no questions asked.

There are individual needs that should be addressed, but the far majority of horses do require turnout for mental and physical health.
                    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Comment

Yes.

Mind you, I've seen and ridden at barns where there was no or very rare turnout. Mostly back in the 60s to early 70s. Typically, lesson horses ridden 2 x daily, stabled in tie stalls, and boarders in box stalls. It 'can' be done...but in my experience the more turnout, the 'happier' the horse- my preference is 24/7 turnout w/shelter.

Comment

In Europe, there is no extra space, so people live crammed in cities, horses in stalls.
                        Then, people and horses are not stuck in a little room/stall all day, they go do other things in other places all the time.

Adult horses in work spend all their life in their box stall or standing stall, but they go out several times a day to give lessons or go on trail rides.
                        Those horses are cared for to the n-th degree and healtier and sounder than many horses here, that are underworked and overfed.

So, no, you don't need to have turn out for horses, they do fine without, although we people may rather watch them be a pasture ornament that, gasp!, be kept in a stall.

It depends on the management.
                        Good management can have healthy and happy horses living in stalls 24/7 all their lives, as happy as those living 24/7 outside or any inbetween can be.

I have to say that I have seen more colics by far and lame and injured horses since coming to the USA than I ever saw in all the thousands of horses I worked with in Europe, all stalled, where I saw ONE mild colic in all those years.

Comment

mine are in 24/7 not by choice current barn doesnt allow turnout... but in 2.5 months they will be starting to go out 24/7 (gradually switching over) i can say that have doing 24/7 turnout and then moving into 24/7 inside i thought would make my guys go crazy and it hasnt they do just fine. both are healthy and rather happy ( a little to attached to each other now tho) i do take them on plenty of walks thru out the day and both are ridden daily. But my choice will is to have them out all the time but right now the option isnt there
                          MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

Comment

I also say Yes!!
                            A Merrick N Dream Farm
                            Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Comment

Gee, necessary? I'll go with Deltawave and suggest that other factors apply, including the personality of the horse. I have one who resembles that 'Monk' character and hates nature of any kind. He gives me the stink eye when it's turn out time and looks back with such a longing look at his stall. He doesn't mind working, enjoys it even, but loves to be in his own apartment with his own fan, his neighbors, his shavings, watching all the goings on in the barn. On the other hand, there are a couple who can't wait to kick up their heels, roll, run around and occasionally graze. For the rest it's just part of life at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                I have to say that I have seen more colics by far and lame and injured horses since coming to the USA than I ever saw in all the thousands of horses I worked with in Europe, all stalled, where I saw ONE mild colic in all those years.
                                Agreed, I never saw a colic when I rode in France, including those in standing stalls. More work, though, than turnout with a shed!

Comment

Yes- but some horses cope with less than perfect circumstances better than others. My last three years in law school, I had summer jobs in Manhattan- so my horses didn't have a choice but to move with me for the summer. With very limited options in easy daily driving distance, they are having to deal with 1-2 hours of small turnout per day by themselves when they are used to anywhere from 8 hours to 18 in warm weather. My older horse acts no different, seems just as happy making friends with children in the aisle, no different under saddle, etc. Younger one just isn't happy. She runs in turnout, acts distracted when she sees other horses in the ring, and has to be longed more often. Fortunately it is only necessary for 10 more weeks then I can get them both back into more ideal conditions.

Comment

Does the average American who boards their horse need to consider turnout important? I say yes. Why? Because your average American boarder does not work a horse nearly enough.

If you were riding twice a day for 2 hours? Your horse might be happy with stall only.

But most of us don't DO that.

Horses are very adaptable creatures. I don't think it's IDEAL to be in a stall all the time, but if they're getting worked, I think it's more likely that they can adapt.

Me? My ideal is a horse turned out 24/7 weather and health permitting.

But that is not possible in most places--again, horses are adaptable. In my mare's lifetime of 17 years--she began life outdoors and stayed that way 24/7 until she was 13. Then was introduced to stalling either overnight or during the day depending on weather. She adapted. Then back to 24/7 turnout. Then back to stalled 10-12 hours a day.

Most horses can adapt to situations that may be less than ideal.

Heck, she adapted to a month in a sling and 3 mos stall rest after an injury....could all horses do that without going mad? No, probably not. But most can.

Do not take me for an advocate of stalling 24/7 and feeding up like so many around here do with their halter horses. Hate it. But--they do adapt.

So. Do they NEED it to survive? No. Is it IDEAL? Yes.
                                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Well, if by "necessary" you mean "required to survive," then no. I've known many horses who stayed in 24/7 and lived healthy (at least physically) lives.

But as far as being mentally healthy, and providing the best possible environment for the animals in our care? Turnout is absolutely a must.
                                      Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

I think a sound horse with no turnout borders on cruelty, unless it is being worked very frequently.

Comment

Working...
                                        X