• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What horse care products do you love or hate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love:

-Thinline wool fleece half pad

-Ovation fleece girth -- it's washable, and real fleece is far and away superior to synthetic in terms of cushion and wicking

-cat-sized slicker brush to fluff up all this fleece between washings

-Ogilvy baby pads -- finally, a baby pad shaped like a horse's back. I have to order them from Canada but it's worth it.

-Arc de Triomphe leather grooming halter -- weird yet beautiful, and both sides of the throatlatch have snaps. An indulgence, for sure.

-EquiFit gel bands -- put'em on your ankles to break in tall boots. Instant relief.

- Hydraulic dump attachment for my Gator's cargo box. Trips to the manure pile are now as pleasurable as a drive in the country.

Sort of love:

- Rambo Supreme turnouts. Slight dip in quality recently, but still superior to anything else I've tried. My barn-hating pasture puffs stay bone-dry in the worst downpours, and they don't slide around even without leg straps. Wish they'd redesign them with better wither relief, and an easier hood/liner attachment system.

- Triple Crown Safe Starch Forage. My horses love this chopped timothy/orchard grass, and it's been a dogsend here in Central Texas where the drought has made hay impossible to find. But it's goofy expensive and a real pain in the butt to feed; hoisting those 50-lb bags every day isn't good for aged crones.

Hate:

- Every kind of breech ever made, including the vaunted Tailored Sportsmans. They universally do not fit humans. Either too tight in the calf or too loose in the waist.

- Every kind of fly spray ever made. None of them work for more than 10 minutes and they're harsh chemicals. They're like bottles full of hives and cancer.

- Supplements, nutriceuticals, horse whisperers, animal communicators, and any other expensive therapy purported to work miracles without any science to back it up.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Comment

Love: Zephyr's Garden products. ALL of them!
      Also love Canter Mane & Tail for de-tangling.
      Most Rambo turnouts. See below.

Don't Love: The smell of Repel-X....ugh.
      Rambo Quarter Horse blankets/turnouts.

Comment

Crone of Cottonmouth -since you live in TX what do you use for fly repellant/protection?
        "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Comment

LOVE
          Vetrolin Liniment
          Jelly Curries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          For-a-Flex joint Supp
          Fluid Action HA joint Supp
          U-gard ulcer prevention Supp
          County saddles
          Schleese saddles
          Thinline Fleece Saddle Fitter pads
          County whip/jumping bat
          KK 2 type ultra loose ring bit - discovered these last year, they are wonderful!!!
          blingy browbands
          wool dress sheets
          Rambo/Rhino/HW Ireland blankets
          Weatherbeeta blankets
          Quillin Halters
          Equissentials breeches
          Ariat paddock boots
          Full grain 1/2 chaps (that look like tall boots)
          Irish knits
          Cotton lead ropes
          Small mesh hay nets
          ABI Arena rascal arena drag - I LOVE this!
          IRH Extreme Elite helmet
          SSG all weather gloves
          Corona
          Laser Sheen
          Horseman's one step
          Bienenwachs Lederpflege-Creme for deep conditioning and a little stick : )
          County Logic Girths
          Vetwrap
          Finish line poultice - LOVE!
          SWAT
          Wintec Comfort contoured saddle pads
          Ivory Soap
          Sheet cotton
          Stall mats

HATE
          Bigeloil Liniment - burns my TB
          Oster big handled brushes
          Flower shedder
          HandiHone Universal Blade sharpener
          Nylon lead ropes
          Halters without throat snaps
          Cheap automatic waterers
          Elastic back blanket straps
          Cheval Itch-B-Gone Supplement
          Rope Halters
          Bull snaps
          Saxon Blankets - the blanket part was fine, but on the one I got the hardware easily bent!
          Cashel pads with no lift in the gullet/wither area
          Daily wormer
          Eqyss - smell great but don't seem to do much
          Blacktree Farm
          Lessons, Training & Sporthorse Sales.
          Blacktree Studio
          Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Comment

Originally posted by Iride View Post
            Crone of Cottonmouth -since you live in TX what do you use for fly repellant/protection?
            I use Solitude feed-thru and a gazillion of those stanky fly traps that look like IV fluid bags. Gross, but better than inhaling half a bottle of Pyranha every morning.
            Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Comment

Originally posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
              I use Solitude feed-thru and a gazillion of those stanky fly traps that look like IV fluid bags. Gross, but better than inhaling half a bottle of Pyranha every morning.
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

I thought of some more:

LOVE
                Woof & WeatherBeeta boots
                Fleeceworks halfback pad
                All-in-one jump cups
                Pelleted bedding
                Super long Arabian showmanship bats for groundwork
                Leather Therapy Wash
                Rubber Reins
                Kiwi latches

HATE
                Bungie Cross ties
                Metal tined manure forks
                Straw
                Blacktree Farm
                Lessons, Training & Sporthorse Sales.
                Blacktree Studio
                Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Comment

I'll just list my "likes":

velcro safety trailer ties & cross ties
                  ISP ointment
                  good old fashioned metal toothed shedding blade/sweat scraper with the nice leather "handle"
                  italian gum pull on bell boots
                  Schneiders Euro Extreme Turnout Sheet
                  Five Star bridle
                  Irideon Windpro breeches
                  Eqyss Blanket Wash (any idea if it's back on the shelves yet?)
                  Equifit bucket
                  Rubbermaid wheelbarrow
                  Shires small hole mesh hay nets
                  Easyboot Easysoakers!
                  Simple Boots
                  Durasole
                  Herm Sprenger hole punch (worth every penny)
                  US Rider!!!
                  Dr. Fosters rubber toothed curry grooming attachment for vacuums (works fantastic for cleaning the dog hair off furniture)
                  Alushield wound spray
                  Arco Moser cordless clippers (so quiet!)
                  Odoban
                  rubber mesh grooming mitt/glove - knocks mud off so easy!
                  Sole pack hoof patties / hoof dressing
                  Keratex hoof hardener
                  12' yacht braid lead ropes (Blocker lead ropes)
                  Cindy

Comment

Bumping this up because it's a great thread

Comment

Oh! This was a fun read...some of these I've never heard of, but want to try!

Corona: wonderful on cuts and scrapes, regrows hair well. Farrier also recommended applying it to the coronet band a few days a week. Keeps brittleness at bay.

Healthy Hair Care Concentrate: love this "pink spray". Smells great, nice detangler without the silicone. I apply it after every bath or rinse, helps with dry skin and dandruff.

Bigeloil: I also use liniment gels (absorbine, sore no more, etc. like 'em all!) But a cost effective thing I do is toss the liquid bigeloil in a spray bottle with water. Spray it on legs, rub it in. No loss sloshing it around and losing it down the drain!

Horseshoer's Secret THRUSH AEROSOL: Same active ingredient as koppertox, in an aerosol spray! Very neat, easy to use, and effective

Animalintex Shaped Poultice Pads: easy to use! (can you see a theme here? ) fast application, and reassurance it'll stay in place.

Andis Clippers: The quiet 2-speed clippers are the bomb. Yes, the bomb. Two complete body clips with one set of T-84 blades. If you take good care of these clippers, they will take good care of your coats.

Winner's Circle Beastie Brushes: perfect stiff brush, quick flicks and lasts forever. Nice small size for easy toss-and-go at horse shows etc. Keep one in the wash rack, one is the trailer, and one in the grooming kit!

Belvoir conditioner (jar), cleaner & conditioner (spray): works great! easy easy easy. Tack looks and feels wonderful afterward.

Any Carr & Day products. Expensive, but high in quality.

Eskadron Memo Boots (love!)

Non-horse products that are super useful!
                      A repeat, but skin-so-soft! Great in ears and under bellies for fly bites...ouch.

Vaseline, duct tape, diapers.....

Listerine in tails and manes, reduces itching. Mix with water in a spray bottle.

Oh! Cat toys as ear puffs....buy a 6-pack of neon cat toys (soft ones...look just like "Pomms") for about $3. Easy to spot if they fall out, and even cheaper to replace!

Dislike
                      Any products that leave a strong "residue" like CalmCoat (started out loving this product, but didn't always have the best results), MTG, showsheen (only in tails at shows, otherwise it's too much).

Gallop Whitening shampoo....eh, for less money QuickSilver gets the job done every time.

Comment

Sticking to horse care products I love, these are two lesser-known ones that are awesome:

Posture Prep Groomer: http://www.postureprep.com/

Equipro Bed Sore Boots: https://www.equipro.com/Bedsore_Boots_8FUL.html

And these two ^ are made by small businesses in the US, people who really care and don't spend tons of $$ on advertising.

I also like Sore No More products, Miracle Groom, Eqyss Micro-Tek gel

Comment

Fun thread!

Love:

Wilker's wraps- so much better than no-bows! Very durable

Antares anything- their leather is so beautiful and high quality

Tailored sportsman trophy hunter breech- hands down, best breeches ever!

Lucky braids shampoo- I love the shine this puts on my horses

Plain old glycerin soap- nothing leaves tack with a prettier finish

Ammonia- I love to use diluted ammonia to clean my tack

Smartpak saddle pads- love the fit

Thin line pads- great shock absorbers, no bulk

Uptite poultice

Poultice paper- sooo convenient!

Electrogroom vacuum- best purchase EVER!

Lister star body clippers

Hate-

Bronco fly spray

Microtek shampoo

Oster brushes

Comment

Discobold, I wonder how Equipro's hock boots are...by any chance have you tried those? I have a horse with chronic hock sores from the way he lies down

https://www.equipro.com/Hock_Wrap.html
                            "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Comment

Dynamint- leg and muscle rub. Works great and smells great. I guarantee someone comments on how nice my horse smells every single time I use it.

Back on Track- all the products are great, I really like the no bow leg wrap.

Comment

Love:
                                Everything Epona! Functional and great looking, especially:
                                For the mane and tail:
                                http://eponaproducts.com/massage_pin_brush.html
                                Both Tucker and my husband love this. I use it for massaging and currying:
                                http://eponaproducts.com/gummy_brush_scrubby.html
                                This is great for baths and for gettin sweat marks around the face and ears:
                                http://eponaproducts.com/all_purpose_grooming_mitt.html
                                and of course, the shed flower:
                                http://eponaproducts.com/shed_flowers.html

Hilton Herbs!
                                Bye Bye Itch lotion and supplement...the only product to help stop the itching and encourage the mane and tail to regrow. A link to my testimonial is on their website.
                                Hoof and Health...my farrier has never seen Tucker's feet look so good. Incredible amount of growth, cracks are gone and he has dapples!
                                Phytobalm...great for the first aid kit at the barn and at home.
                                Coal Tar, Neem and Tea Tree shampoo

Equiderma. I mix 1/2 bottle with 2 tubes of diaper rash ointment. Great for slathering ears and midline to protect sores from the damn bugs.

Devon-Aire's All Pro Max breech. Lightweight, moisture wicking and really flattering:
                                http://www.devonaire.com/Devonaire-L...-pid-2496.html

Vetwrap
                                Skintastic. I use this to make flyspray.
                                Microtek Medicated shampoo
                                Farriers Fix

Won't Buy Again:

MTG
                                Koppertox
                                Ariat
                                Lori T
                                www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
                                www.facebook.com/LoriTankelPhotography
                                www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Comment

Love:
                                  Ariat Paddock Boots and Half Chaps
                                  Cowboy Magic
                                  Fleece gloves with leather palm
                                  String gloves with leather palm
                                  Plastic water buckets with a groove for your hand on the bottom
                                  breakaway and leather halters
                                  Cavallo hoof boots
                                  Poulin Senior
                                  Bronco Fly Spray

Don't love:
                                  all-nylon halters
                                  plastic water buckets with flat bottom
                                  EZboots
                                  Excaliber sheath cleaning gel

Comment

i have to second a previous poster's recommendation for Vasoline! it isn't a horse specific product, but i use it on the corners of my mare's mouth when she goes in her happy mouth as a bit butter and it works amazing! no more mouth sores! i also use it on a pressure sore she got on her back from a blanket, again amazing results! I use the Cocoa Butter Vasoline! =]

Comment

and another "non horsey" product that is amazing is RUBBING ALCOHOL!!! as a brace for legs! had to start using this because of all the liniment that "tests" and i was skeptical but a rubdown with diluted rubbing alcohol after a heavy work or jump, and her legs are cool and tight
                                      its amazing.

Comment

Iride, I've never used Equipro's hock wraps, but I am super impressed by their other products.

Comment

• For the long legged beanpole child:
                                          -Ovation Field Boots. They've really held up well and is one of the few brands that actually offers a TALL in their child range. Wear well right out of the box and hold a shine nicely.
                                          - Ovation Breeches. Bit pricey compared to a few other brands but hold out longer and the full seats have nice stick for when the pony tries to dislodge her.
                                          - Essex Classics Kids Coolmax Performance Collection Show Shirt. In Texas heat these are a life saver. Not as stain resistant as a mother would want but catch them on sale and they are fabulous.
                                          -SmartPak Cool-Tech Show Shirt. DD has a really long torso and many shirts just aren't long enough for her. These are and again they look fabulous when the jackets are waived.
                                          For the Pony
                                          Mrs. Pastures Cookies for Horses - Pony will eat almost anything but this one brand he'll actually do tricks for.
                                          Winner's Circle Horsehair brush - Now their synthetic brush is horrible and not worth a dime but the horse hair brushes are fabulous and a great size for small hands.
                                          Goat Hair Soft Brush - I am a bit of a brush snob and like the soft brushes more than synthetic. Most of the horses I deal with have short coats and this is awesome for the horse who has sensitive thin skin.
                                          Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                                          Originally Posted by alicen:
                                          What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

Working...
                                          X