• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

After joint injections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After joint injections

How long do most of you wait before starting work after you have had your horses injected? And when you ride, how long before you put them back to their normal work?

(injected ie - SI or hocks or neck)

Thanks!
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

3 days till I ride, a week before normal work (which in my horse's case normally means lazy hacking)
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Comment

Stall rest day of injection
      2 days turnout (or hand walk if crazy type)
      1 light riding day
      regular work

Comment

4-5 days off, lighter week of low jumps then normal after that.

Comment

Nothing after injection on day of injection. Hand walk 3-5 days depending on joint. Then light day or two of hacking. Then regular work. No joint injections within 2 weeks of a show. That's for normal HA-type joint injections. For the IRAP deal we're doing now, we're giving the horse 4 weeks of hand-walking after the second set before we tack walk. But (PTL) he can be put out in a small paddock two days after the second set, weather and footing permitting.
          The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Just got back from having hocks done. Small paddock today and tomorrow. Then regular turnout for two days. Told vet this horse will just amble around. Then two days light riding, then regular work.
            Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

SI- 1 week off with turn out, 1 week light riding, can return to full work after two weeks

Hocks- 2 days in, 2 days turnout, then back to regular riding

I've never injected the neck, so I can't comment on that.

Comment

My 3-5 days above is based on hocks, stifles, and coffin joints.

We are giving the IRAP in the neck and SI longer, but I don't know if that's mostly a function of the joint, the IRAP, or the nature of the issue.
                The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Ussually 1 to 2 days stall rest 2 days turnout and then start back into light work and then regular work by the end of the week. Depends on what was injected.

Comment

Stupid question: what's irap?
                    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Comment

Originally posted by naters View Post
                      Stupid question: what's irap?
                      Not stupid. Interleuken-1 Receptor Antagonist Protein. My understanding is that it's an anti-inflammatory protein. They pull blood, process it, and inject it back into the horse.

http://www.eliteequinevets.com/advan...stic-services/ and scroll down. Or Google the long name which seems to produce more useful hits than just IRAP does.
                      The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

I turn mine out like normal but don't give him any bute so he won't rip and tear. Light work after 3 days, then regular work after a week.
                        Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                        Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
                        "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

Normal schedule. Maybe a bit lighter work the 1st day back. Thats my current vet's schedule. I am currently in vet school, so I will get back to you in a few years on my opinion.
                          I love cats, I love every single cat....
                          So anyway I am a cat lover
                          And I love to run.

Comment

According to my vet, part of the purpose of the injection is to reduce/eliminate inflammation that is or is about to cause soreness. The whole point of "rest" following the injection is to allow that all to take place. It's much harder to do that, sometimes even impossible, if you just put the horse right back to work.

CAN you get right back into the program? Sure, but you've probably just wasted some of the benefit.

My vet recommends a full 7 days off - regular turnout as long as they are typically pretty quiet.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the replies. JB that's exactly what my vet said as well. They want everything to quiet down.

When I had one of my horses SI injected I actually gave him much more time (like months) because it was an injury.

Peggy how is the IRAP working for you? I hear a lot of good results with it. Maybe you are right about the neck or SI possibly needed more time from riding - it's been two weeks for my horse that had his neck injected.

And it's so fun when the vet says, two weeks of hand walking then light riding for a few days and then back to regular work... some horses two weeks of not doing much is torture for them (and their owner)

It's also difficult because you want them to have the time they need to quiet everything; but you also want to keep things moving. I know my horses do so much better when in a regular exersize program and so I do.

I think not riding this horse for the last two weeks I have gained a few pounds...
                              Live in the sunshine.
                              Swim in the sea.
                              Drink the wild air.

Comment

Where are you getting your horses neck injected? I have this problem, and have for years, neck calcification due to an injury:
                                http://image46.webshots.com/47/2/72/...2LeAQPH_ph.jpg

Comment

[quote]
                                  Originally posted by JB View Post
                                  According to my vet, part of the purpose of the injection is to reduce/eliminate inflammation that is or is about to cause soreness. The whole point of "rest" following the injection is to allow that all to take place. It's much harder to do that, sometimes even impossible, if you just put the horse right back to work.

CAN you get right back into the program? Sure, but you've probably just wasted some of the benefit

Wow it's almost as though you took the words right out of my vet's mouth! Pretty much exactly the protocol she follows.
                                  Although she did have me get on at a WALK (loose rein, straight, no hills/circles etcc) those 7 days after injections to keep the joints (hocks) moving as he tends to stand around in warm, buggy weather eventhough he has 24/7 turnout. In addition, she also suggested bute for 4 days to aid in the inflammation reducing process.

Comment

3-5 days. Coffin joint was one day of turnout after injection, then a couple days of very light riding. Did some super light jumping probably 4 days after.

Hocks were closer to a week. Turnout again the day after, then 3 days of hacking. Not a lot of tight circles or lead changes or anything. Pretty straight forward stuff.

Comment

Hocks: stall rest day of, back to regular turnout day after, handwalk for 3 days, then start riding again and be back to regular work within a week or two.

SI: pretty much the same, except 7-10 days of handwalking.
                                      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Originally posted by naters View Post
                                        Where are you getting your horses neck injected? I have this problem, and have for years, neck calcification due to an injury:
                                        http://image46.webshots.com/47/2/72/...2LeAQPH_ph.jpg
                                        Geographically or anatomically? Vet did it at the barn. Located injection site via ultrasound & made wite-out marks on neck. Then used ultrasound to guide actual injections with longish needles. Into facet joints of c7-6 6-5 and 5-4 on both sides of neck.
                                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Working...
                                        X