• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hoof crack help? (Updated with pictures/x-ray results)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoof crack help? (Updated with pictures/x-ray results)

The vet came out with my farrier to look at her and take x-rays. She has no conformation flaws contributing to the crack, and her x-rays are some of the best they've seen (no changes from her PPE). Looks like it's just bad weather to blame! Still have at least 3 months before I can think about riding her again, but at least it's nothing internal and shouldn't be a chronic problem. Yay! thanks again for all of your input

I'm getting frustrated with this so I thought I'd ask for some input.

I have a recently turned 4 year old Landkoenig baby; she had the winter off and I started her back into work in April/May. I ride about 5/6 days a week depending on the weather (no indoor) and she goes out overnight and is in during the heat of the day. I don't push her, I only lesson and jump lightly once a week, if that. I noticed she had a crack developing up her front right foot (she's shod in front and barefoot behind) but my farrier said it was purely superficial. I have a tendency to worry way too much about little things and he knows that. He filed it down a bit and she was good to go.. Until I noticed a week or so later that the crack was all the way up to her coronary band and had opened more. He came back out and patched it the next day. He said it's still not deep into the tissue, so we just want to support it while it grows out.

I'm not riding her now (only walking trails in the park once a week or so) and she's been getting a biotin supplement since I've had her. She has great big feet and my farrier doesn't think it's any conformation flaw that's causing it; his guess was that it was so dry for a while (we're in PA). I talked to my vet about it and she agreed that I shouldn't ride since she was just a baby (I'm not going to finals or anything) and there's no reason to push her.

Do any of you have any suggestions for what I can do to help this heal and prevent it from happening again? I've been putting a hoof ointment on her coronary band/feet every day to promote growth/strength.

here are pictures of her hoof before he patched it:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

if anyone has any experience with this and can give any suggestions for what to do going forward, I would really appreciate it! I feel like as soon as I'm getting into a good rhythm with her something silly happens and I *adore* her and want to ride!!!
    Last edited by flyngcolrz; Sep. 26, 2011, 03:34 PM.

Can you get better pictures of the feet/foot, including a good straight-on lateral view? What I see here makes me think there is flaring (ie long toes) either causing or contributing to that crack. I suspect high heels too, but can't tell from these pictures.

"great big feet" can easily be that way because they are flared.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm at work right now and won't be up to the barn until this evening, but I will take a few more pictures tonight. She does tend to get long in her toe. She was barefoot for a while but I put front shoes on her so they didn't chip too bad. I mentioned that (my worry about her getting too long in the toe) to my farrier but he says she has great thick walls (my vet loved her big feet when she did her PPE too) and that this is mostly environmental.. but I don't want to have this be a recurring problem. I trust my farrier, he has a great reputation and I truly am a worrier. I try to stop myself from being crazy about these things but I can't help it!

Comment

I'd be worried too. Cracks, etc. is the hoof's way of saying "Um, I'm outta balance here"

Re: Pictures -- For each hoof, take them from literal ground level:

--straight on at the toe
        --left side
        --right side
        --Hold Up Hoof and take sole
        <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Pictures!

https://picasaweb.google.com/natalie...eat=directlink

here's a link to a bunch of pictures I took tonight. Sorry so late!

My farrier is coming out again tomorrow to take another look, but any glaring issues you see could be helpful.

thank you for your time

Comment

Um, technically that crack is on her toe... a quarter crack refers to it being on the "quarters", the part closer to the heels.

It looks like a fair amount of wall gets rasped, which removes some of her ability to maintain/regulate hoof moisture.

Others on here should be able to help... I've not had to deal with that type of crack, thank goodness and knock wood.

Good luck, lots of jingles.
            I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

Comment

• Original Poster

oy, sometimes my brain doesn't work. I've been googling a lot of stuff about foot issues and it just stuck out in my head when I went to write my title. woops.

hopefully someone's dealt with it and has totally awesome news about how to fix it!

Comment

The hoof(s) look a bit long in the toe, and overall due for a trim and reset. The feet are migrating forward causing the heels to be underrun . There is some overall wall flaring. The shoes appear well fitted. Even though the toe of the shoe has become rolled(a good thing), my personal preference with feet like these is to get the breakover location further back from the toe. Were this a horse in my custom, I would further reduce the crack and probably use a round iron to burn the top of the crack(at the coronary band). The wet-dry-wet-dry cycle we've been experiencing, along with the fly stomping that occurs this time of year excerbate any otherwise minor 'imperfections with the trim. Patching a crack such as this, without adequately/properly identifing and rectifying the cause(s) is going to be less than successful.

While this is an issue that needs to be addressed, it is not one to make yourself sick with worry over.

Comment

I was thinking it was about an inch or so but that's a long crack. I'm sure your farrier and vet can fix it. But if they approve, go to the Jeffersequine.com website and check out the SBS hoof crack patch and SBS toe grow.

I recently got a little Trak mare who has had a small crack on one fore for over a year. (I've known the horse over 3 yrs and watched the BO's farrier butchering her hooves before I got her in June.) Since I've gotten her, my farrier is adising me how to treat it. It hasn't gotten bigger and the SBS products are working well.

How did that crack get so long before treatment?

I like you dogs and cats, cute animals!

I don't know if iit is true or not that copper peptides encourage hoof growth, but when I googled it, I found that it's being marketed to humans for hair growth and scar repair.

Comment

I have been fighting cracks all summer with supplements, sealers/moisturizers, and a 3-week trimming schedule. None were up to the coronary band like that, but they were persistant and fairly significant.

I recently tried the Clean Trax treatment and the response was immediate. My horse is barefoot right now so I don't know if it would be as useful to you with shoes.

I'm just posting a personal experience as I technically don't know too much about the hoof, i.e. not a farrier/trimmer or vet. I was just very pleasantly surprised to find something that finally seemed to make a big difference.

Comment

The left front exhibits with a rather strong diagonal imbalance ... lateral toe long and medial heel longer than lateral (flare and jammed coronary). That can cause issues not only in the hoof, itself, but also in the body. Have your farrier check that out. I can't speak about the set of the shoes but would trust Rick's assessment of them.
                      Last edited by caballus; Aug. 26, 2011, 10:57 AM.
                      --Gwen <><
                      "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
                      http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Rick - *thank you*. My farrier came out today and took another look at it. It hasn't gotten any worse in the two weeks since he's patched it and he said based on her hoof wall, her toe isn't long. He tries to trim based on the internal structure of the foot not necessarily what you see outside (he says that can be subjective). I'm not losing any sleep over it (after soft tissue injuries in the past, I'll take repairable cracked foot any day of the week). I'm going to have my vet out to take some xrays; I just did her PPE last November so we have a good barometer to check if anything has changed internally to cause the problem. Can never be too cautious and I really want to do everything I can to insure this doesn't become a chronic problem.

The crack was long and super shallow at first (it wasn't open, it was just a line up her foot) and it didn't bother her. I brought it up but, like I said, I'm a worrier, and the input I had from everyone was that it was a nonissue and I needed to stop looking so hard at my horse's feet. It started to creep higher and lower and we filed it down (it wasn't all the way up into her coronary band at this point) and she was sound. I had a lesson and the next day I noticed it was higher up and more open. my farrier came the next day and patched it and I haven't ridden her since.

thank you for your nice comments about my critters; they are my loves!! the little jack russel/rat terrier mix isn't mine but she and my sausage of a Corgi run around and play together every day. they are the cutest!

I'm going to check out those products, right now I'm using the Effol hoof ointment (it's supposed to promote growth). anything to help this crack grow out faster, I miss riding and winter is coming!

I can't thank all of you enough for your input! I'm a long time reader of the forums but I don't post much, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who has dealt with this this summer.

Comment

Working...
                        X