• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New at this equine nutrition thing :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New at this equine nutrition thing :)

We have two horses at home. One is a an easy easy keeper, he's just vaccuming up hay and looks great.

Another is a QH that I'm having trouble putting weight on. Girl at the feed store told me give her all the hay she can eat, no feed, bc we only ride about 1-2 a week and don't want them all hopped up for the easy trails we do.

She hasn't fattened up in the month we've hda her and I've been feeding a REDICULOUS amount of hay. Like, 6-7 flakes a day and she just keeps going. Shes been wormed, I don't think health is the issue.

We have access to a local mill that has just about anything, or can buy a commercial feed.

Any ideas for getting her fat? Shes a very pretty girl, just needs to fill out!
    Click here to feed a rescued animal for free!

Sponsors feed rescued animals for every free click!

I'm a fan of TC Senior to put weight on horses. Seems to work for all of them.

You might also consider checking teeth and for ulcers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Amber_M View Post

She hasn't fattened up in the month we've hda her and I've been feeding a REDICULOUS amount of hay. Like, 6-7 flakes a day and she just keeps going. Shes been wormed, I don't think health is the issue.
      How much does this hay weigh, and what kind is it? Easiest way to weigh hay: get a fish scale and a heavy-duty plastic garbage bag with a tie handle. (Hefty bag or similar)

Would she eat more if you gave it to her?

I would get as much hay into her before I started adding other things. And it's cheaper, too.

Comment

6-7 flakes isn't necessarily a ridiculous amount of hay.

What kind of hay is it and how heavy are the flakes? Do they also have access to decent pasture?

At the very least, I would put her on a ration balancer in addition to her forage. Perhaps just a vit/min supplement for the easy keeping gelding. How old is the mare?

Ditto the teeth suggestion. Not that you want to get her "fat." Overweight is less healthy than a little underweight.
        "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Comment

6-7 flakes is far from ridiculous if they weigh even 4lb each, making for 24-31lb of hay. But if they weigh jut 3-4lb, that's 18-24lb, which is not even, or just barely over the 2% recommendation for a 1000lb horse. But what it boils down to is this - for horses who need weight, or have trouble maintaining it, hay should be unlimited. For some horses this will be 25lb. For others, 30, 35, 40lb or more, depending on size and appetite

Comment

First thing I would try: More hay! 6-7 flakes isnt all that much (depending on the weight/nutritional value). Is this hay given in addition to pasture?

I would have her teeth checked and also run a fecal, just to be sure it's not something like that.
            Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
            White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

I have a very hard keeping QH as well, and have a few in our barn that are tricky- hay sometimes just isn't enough, and my "go to" feed is Amplify by Nutrena. It does not make my horse "hot" at all. It is AWESOME stuff- adds the weight, but doesn't make them "fatty". I personally don't think just adding more hay does the trick on hard keeping horses, but I'm sure you could get a good start with a hay boost!

PS- A tube of Probios might be a good idea too!

Comment

6-7 flakes is a lot of hay from any bale I've seen in SoCal which is where the OP lives. Being SoCal pasture is likely nonexistent. I'd try checking teeth and running a fecal for worms. Maybe a blood panel to see if something odd is going on. I've had decent luck with alfalfa or alfalfa mix pellets in some situations.
                The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

My first thought: "6-7 flakes is a ridiculous amount of hay???". I've given horses a bale+ a day if they need/eat it, more in colder months.

I'd start with more hay.

Comment

Originally posted by Peggy View Post
                    Being SoCal pasture is likely nonexistent.
                    I'm not sure that I understand what you are say. If my mare was on non-existant pasture, she'd be getting more hay, not less. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting?

Comment

I think the point Peggy was making is that a typical bale of hay in So Cal tends to be rather large, meaning a flake may well easily be 5lb, perhaps even a bit more. I would agree, based on what I know about the area. If that's the case, then 30-35lb of hay would be a lot, but even then, if it's not free choice, that's what needs to happen first unless there's a good reason it can't.

Is it a given? No, which is why we need the OP to tell us how much those flakes weigh - weighed, not just guessed, since many people tend to over-estimate that sort of thing, IME

Comment

I was addressing flake size and pasture as independent issues.
                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

I was always taught if your horse is skinny, and its eating its hay, keep giving it hay until it stops eating. They are grazing animals after all.

I realize people have issues with it, but Im a big fan of soaked beet pulp for putting weight on without making them hot. And hay.
                          "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
                          http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

We have the giant bales, not the ones I was used to feeding on the East Coast. I want to say each bale weighs way over 50lbs with 16 flakes to a bale. They're triple string bales instead of double? At least that's what I've heard them differientiated by. All I know is I can't pick these guys up, and I could haul the ones back home just fine

I'll try giving her more, but wow! Crazy how much a mare can eat, ESP when her 17.2 neighbor is happy with not much more than half that. She actually let me feel her teeth and they don't feel sharp but maybe I could be wrong. Maybe she isn't able to chew it up still enough to be fully digested. Will have vet check done, he's already coming out next week for the laid up monter gaited guy we have so it'll save a little money to hbe it done then.
                            Click here to feed a rescued animal for free!

Sponsors feed rescued animals for every free click!

Comment

You might want to consider adding a multivitamin or ration balancer to the hay. Mix it with a handful of pellets or beet pulp) for your easy keeper, maybe some grain or beet pulp for the horse that needs weight. That ensures that your horses vitamin/mineral needs are being met.

As for the harder keeper -- if your horse is finishing all the hay you feed now, yes, add more. If you are feeding a grass hay, maybe add some alfalfa (higher in calories). I have a relatively hard keeper who is on a primarily forage diet -- free choice grass hay, alfalfa pellets, beet pulp and a ration balancer. When he needed more weight this summer I added Purina Amplify but if you want a less expensive option, vegetable oil (any kind) is a good choice. The only reason I'm not feeding oil now is that I pre-mix my grain (co-op barn) and there's no easy way to add the oil without making a huge mess.

Some horses just need a more concentrated calorie source to keep weight on.
                              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

I would let the vet know he is doing a dental.
                                A proper dental means sedation to truly examine and float the teeth. It takes time, and since most vets are on a schedule, you might want to let him know in advance and not surprise him with additional tasks.
                                save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Originally posted by Amber_M View Post
                                  We have the giant bales, not the ones I was used to feeding on the East Coast. I want to say each bale weighs way over 50lbs
                                  I had to at this, sorry! When you said "giant bales" I thought maybe you were going to say the 700lb large square bales LOL You said "way over 50lb" and I snorted, sorry

with 16 flakes to a bale. They're triple string bales instead of double? At least that's what I've heard them differientiated by. All I know is I can't pick these guys up, and I could haul the ones back home just fine
                                  Ok, so 3 strings probably means 100lb or so. If that's the case, then 15-17 flakes means somewhere between about 5.5-6.5lb/flake. IF that is the case, then yes, 30-35lb or so is what you're currently feeding.

But if these are 60-70lb bales that you can't lift, we're back to 4.5lb flakes, give or take and that's a different story.

See why we need to know? LOL

I'll try giving her more, but wow! Crazy how much a mare can eat, ESP when her 17.2 neighbor is happy with not much more than half that.
                                  Doesn't matter - my 17h WB gelding needs to eat WAY less than my 16.1h TB mare

Yes, as said before, any time you need weight, or need help maintaining weight then if it's possible, the hay needs to be unlimited, no matter how much it ends up being

She actually let me feel her teeth and they don't feel sharp but maybe I could be wrong. Maybe she isn't able to chew it up still enough to be fully digested. Will have vet check done, he's already coming out next week for the laid up monter gaited guy we have so it'll save a little money to hbe it done then.
                                  Until you have a speculum holding the mouth open, or someone holding the tongue out to the side and even then it's iffy there's just no way you can feel the rear molars where most of the chewing actually goes on

That said, if she's eating all the hay she will eat, then yes, you do need to add concentrates to her diet. I would start with a good ration balancer. If that doesn't do the job after 1 bag, then I'd switch to a low sugar fortified feed. You should be able to get LMF feeds out there, and they have pretty good products, including ration balancers - Supper Supplement, G for grass diets, A for alfalfa diets.

Comment

Wow, you guys all seem to have pretty light bales. The hay we sell gets baled in (approximately) 135 pound bales and the hay we keep gets baled in 80 pound bales.

Anyway, if a horse is having trouble putting/keeping weight on, I give them unlimited hay.

Comment

LOL, you should see the East Coast, at least in my general area, where "square bales" very often means 40lb-ish, give or take a bit. Yes, it's very, very common to find 35 and 45lb bale. Heck, several years ago I ended up with some compressed Timothy bales that were 40lb, and that was from Canada.

Comment

I live in Northern California and maintain my hard keeping high maintenance (ulcer prone) TB on roughly 20+lb orchard grass and 8-10 Alfalfa. Three pounds of TDi and 2lbs of Calcium Balanced Stabilized Rice Bran. She is also on grassy irrigated pasture. Its working for her. I also use LMF its good stuff--though I like TDI as well. Some of the alfalfa flakes up here are 8lb or more.
                                        Redbud Ranch
                                        Check us out on FB

Comment

Working...
                                        X