• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Algae in water tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Algae in water tank

    Is there anything non-toxic (for horses) that one can put into a water tank to prevent algae growth?

  • #2
    Some people use goldfish! Apparently it cuts back algae almost completely!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

    Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

    Comment


    • #3
      The goldfish do help Alicat. But you are going to laugh cuz my cats learned to fish and would wait by the float for the tank to start refilling when a horse was drinking. The fish would come up and the cat would hook them.

      I could not stand it anymore as some pretty fish meant a rather untimely death that way. Not to mention a couple younger gelding were laying for the cats and seemed to enjoy knocking them into the water. Conflict between the species!

      Copper Sulfate works and is pretty easy to find out there at feed stores, mills etc.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by D Taylor View Post
        The goldfish do help Alicat. But you are going to laugh cuz my cats learned to fish and would wait by the float for the tank to start refilling when a horse was drinking. The fish would come up and the cat would hook them.

        I could not stand it anymore as some pretty fish meant a rather untimely death that way. Not to mention a couple younger gelding were laying for the cats and seemed to enjoy knocking them into the water. Conflict between the species!

        Copper Sulfate works and is pretty easy to find out there at feed stores, mills etc.

        Comment


        • #5
          During the summer months I add apple cider vinegar to my water trough, dog buckets, etc. It slows the growth of algae, but does not prevent it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Bleach works pretty well, it also keeps the mosquito larvae at bay. About 1/2 cup per 100 or so gallons. It makes it like "city" water. Most horses do not mind, I have one that loves it and will wait for me to put it in for her - she likes it strong.
            Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
            ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

            Comment


            • #7
              There's tabs at Tractor Supply that you can buy....Natural Defense? Stock Tank Defense? Something like that (NOT "stock tank secret" which is a barley bag and does NOT work!) They're a little pricey, but they last for 2-3 months and there's like 6 to a bag for around $12-15.

              Comment

              • Original Poster

                #8
                I kinda like the goldfish idea I'd have to bring them in for the winter though or else they would turn into fish-cicles (the tank would freeze solid if I left water in it over the winter).

                Sadly no Tractor Supply here in Denmark.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Gold Fish

                  I have gold fish in all 6 of my 100 gallon tanks. About 2-3 in each. This is my second summer using them. They do not seem to help with algae here in North Carolina, but they do take care of mosquito larvae. I brought the fish in last winter but I hope to have a small pond for them built by this winter.
                  I also started this year with laundry bags of barley straw in each tank. I think it helped to some degree, but I have playful horses that think it's fun to bob for it and destroy the bag- even when I use something to weigh it to the bottom of the tank.
                  Can I use copper sulfate with the gold fish? What form does it come in?
                  Thanks,
                  Cydney Rae
                  Salisbury, NC
                  www.cydraecenter.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CydRae View Post
                    I have gold fish in all 6 of my 100 gallon tanks. About 2-3 in each. This is my second summer using them. They do not seem to help with algae here in North Carolina, but they do take care of mosquito larvae. I brought the fish in last winter but I hope to have a small pond for them built by this winter.
                    I also started this year with laundry bags of barley straw in each tank. I think it helped to some degree, but I have playful horses that think it's fun to bob for it and destroy the bag- even when I use something to weigh it to the bottom of the tank.
                    Can I use copper sulfate with the gold fish? What form does it come in?
                    Thanks,
                    Cydney Rae
                    Salisbury, NC
                    www.cydraecenter.com
                    That is a good question and I do not know. Copper sulfate is an algecide. Copper sulfate is also used to treat some fish diseases. But copper sulfate is toxic to fish also. At what concentration I am not sure and how sensitive goldfish are I do not know.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you clean your tank once a week you won't have this problem.

                      The KISS Principle, don't you know.

                      G.
                      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So in googling to see if the goldfish could tolerate copper sulfate I ran acrossed this list....


                        http://extension.missouri.edu/webste...e-control.html

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dichloro-s-triazinetrione

                          Yes -- it works and its so dang simple and, like mzm farm indicates, my horses actually love the taste. Its granular chlorine and its very inexpensive.

                          Example: http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Dichlor...b-P618C43.aspx

                          I add one scant teaspoon per week to a 100 gallon trough, after I spray out (note -- spray, not scrub) the tank and add fresh water. I top off the trough throughout the week, but don't add any more of the dichlor. Its granular, and it dissolves quickly in the trough. I use it year round.

                          I'm sure its available in Denmark, if there are any hot tubs there . Be sure to get some that's 99% "dichlor".

                          I researched this product first, and found that it is used to sanitize human water systems as well as water used by our military. That's where I figured out how much to use in the trough.

                          I also use a stock tank filter, which circulates the water and clears out some of the small floating stuff, but I think you'd enjoy the no-algae/no scrubbing without the filter.

                          Filter: http://www.horse.com/item/k-and-h-cl...c-001b2166c62d

                          But any type of filter would work, such as a small pump with filter, used in ornamental or koi ponds.

                          Its one of my least expensive, but most cherished horse keeping secrets. I literally NEVER scrub the trough anymore, and its not slimy to the touch. And the horses consume ALOT more water, year round.
                          Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ozalynda View Post
                            Is there anything non-toxic (for horses) that one can put into a water tank to prevent algae growth?
                            Goldfish! Works wonders.
                            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                              If you clean your tank once a week you won't have this problem.

                              The KISS Principle, don't you know.

                              G.
                              I will have algae on my tanks in 12 hours if I don't have the goldfish.

                              In addition, I've got 300 gallon tanks, and the water supply will not take kindly to that kind of unnecessary turnover.
                              If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by AliCat518 View Post
                                Some people use goldfish! Apparently it cuts back algae almost completely!
                                Not in ours--they eat mosquito larve, but they don't do squat for algae. You'd have to get an algae eater or a pleco to specifically eat the algae.

                                We have 2 goldfish per tank and I still have to clean the trough out once a week to clean out the algae.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by twelvegates View Post
                                  Yes -- it works and its so dang simple and, like mzm farm indicates, my horses actually love the taste. Its granular chlorine and its very inexpensive.

                                  Example: http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Dichlor...b-P618C43.aspx

                                  I add one scant teaspoon per week to a 100 gallon trough, after I spray out (note -- spray, not scrub) the tank and add fresh water. I top off the trough throughout the week, but don't add any more of the dichlor. Its granular, and it dissolves quickly in the trough. I use it year round.

                                  I'm sure its available in Denmark, if there are any hot tubs there . Be sure to get some that's 99% "dichlor".

                                  I researched this product first, and found that it is used to sanitize human water systems as well as water used by our military. That's where I figured out how much to use in the trough.

                                  I also use a stock tank filter, which circulates the water and clears out some of the small floating stuff, but I think you'd enjoy the no-algae/no scrubbing without the filter.

                                  Filter: http://www.horse.com/item/k-and-h-cl...c-001b2166c62d

                                  But any type of filter would work, such as a small pump with filter, used in ornamental or koi ponds.

                                  Its one of my least expensive, but most cherished horse keeping secrets. I literally NEVER scrub the trough anymore, and its not slimy to the touch. And the horses consume ALOT more water, year round.
                                  This is very interesting too. I wonder if it would work for our ducks.
                                  If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

                                  Comment

                                  • Original Poster

                                    #18
                                    OK, so I went to the pet store today to get some goldfish. I told the guy at the store what the project was and he said, oh you don't want goldfish you want grass carp because eating algae is what they do best.

                                    So fine, there they were these little grey fish the same size as the goldfish. Great. So I bought 5 for my 1000 liter tank.

                                    Well, I got home and looked them up on the net and learned among other things:

                                    "The grass carp grows very rapidly, and young fish stocked in the spring at 20 centimetres (7.9 in) will reach over 45 centimetres (18 in) by fall, and adults often attain nearly 1.2 metres (3.9 ft) in length and over 18 kilograms (40 lb) in weight. According to one study, they live an average of 5-9 years with the oldest gaining 11 years. [7] They eat up to 3 times their own body weight daily. They thrive in small lakes and backwaters that provide an abundant supply of fresh water vegetation"

                                    YIKES!!!

                                    And found pictures to back it up.

                                    EGADS!

                                    Sounds like they are good eating though, so maybe I'll have a carp bake at the end of the season

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      This thread could ony get better if someone will post a great baked carp recipe.

                                      Totally have a tummy ache now from laughing. Want pics of those little fishies when they are bigger and look like whales in your water tank

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Ozalynda View Post
                                        OK, so I went to the pet store today to get some goldfish. I told the guy at the store what the project was and he said, oh you don't want goldfish you want grass carp because eating algae is what they do best.

                                        So fine, there they were these little grey fish the same size as the goldfish. Great. So I bought 5 for my 1000 liter tank.

                                        Well, I got home and looked them up on the net and learned among other things:

                                        "The grass carp grows very rapidly, and young fish stocked in the spring at 20 centimetres (7.9 in) will reach over 45 centimetres (18 in) by fall, and adults often attain nearly 1.2 metres (3.9 ft) in length and over 18 kilograms (40 lb) in weight. According to one study, they live an average of 5-9 years with the oldest gaining 11 years. [7] They eat up to 3 times their own body weight daily. They thrive in small lakes and backwaters that provide an abundant supply of fresh water vegetation"

                                        YIKES!!!

                                        And found pictures to back it up.

                                        EGADS!

                                        Sounds like they are good eating though, so maybe I'll have a carp bake at the end of the season
                                        Sounds like a win-win. No more worries about what to do come fall!
                                        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X