• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question about mares in heat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about mares in heat

No one laugh... please, I am begging you. I'm pretty new to the owning (or is that being owned by) a mare.

Do mares sometimes get "cramps" or show a touch of back soreness during hear cycles? If it is something symptomatic with cycles, does it help to add a gram of bute around that time?

It has not shown in the other 2 cycles since I bought her, but all the other symptoms heat were there today, so I am trying to rule out heat before I call the chiro and see if it isn't something I can plan for before it's a problem.

I have had a few mares over the years that do show signs of "cramping" during the cycle, most of the time it was in early spring when they showed the stongest sign, and a couple of the mares also had small bouts of colic with the cycle. We always did banamine but sak vet what they think, also with one mare acupunture helped the most.

Comment

Regumate, Regumate, Regumate if you can. It helped my mare a lot.
      "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
      ~George Morris

Comment

Yes...just like us ladies when the hormones start changing a whole host of other less than wonderful things can happen.

I started using red raspberry leaves this spring. Have one mare that is a shameless tart and another that can (not always...but can) get grumpy during heats. Well 3 wks later Flirt (the shameless tart) stopped chasing the barncats around to show and Echo (the grumpier one) stopped being so moody too. Normally I take "patients" off such herbals 2 or 3 times to see if the undesirable behaviors return but no way am I going back the past. Life is just a little kinder to them and EVERYONE else too since they get the Rr leaves.

Even the hubby notice the difference.

Comment

• Original Poster

I thought maybe that would be the case. I am trying to avoid hormones if at all possible... just not a real fan unless for medical reasons. Plus, maresy is actually not very marish at all. In non-heat days she is laid back, and super in your pocket.

The first few days of heat she is less "Hi, your human and I love you"... might turn her head to the back of the stall but no ear pinning or nipping. And the geldings will get a bit fresh, and she wants to vocalize a little. Nothing that can't be handled easily, which is one of the long list why I love this mare... and I am so not a mare person.

I may have just missed the slight soreness the 1st 2 heats this year if they did not mesh with my riding schedule. Today was just a slight stiffness (2 pt helped) and then slightly sore on the palpation in the loin area of her back. That's what made me think cramps.

I'll see if a gram of bute might help tomorrow and if I can't get vet to send out a banamine prescription on the next visit.

Comment

If you are willing to spend the money for a Selenium test, the results could be a surprise. Many parts of the country are Selenium poor, which can GREATLY affect the reproductive systems of mares. Horse gets no Selenium from grazing or eating local hay or grains. Low numbers can make them sore, ovulate poorly, along with muscle problems. All of which will make a mare pretty crabby.

We have seen the results of good Selenium numbers on the heat cycles, muscle conditions of working horses, both mares and geldings. Mares are very regular, no muscle issues in the back or legs, not fatigued easily, heat cycles are about invisible except for the peeing. Have to stop about once an hour to let them pee, otherwise no issues. Could be our mares are just quiet or could be that they are better, comfortable in season with enough Selenium in their systems.

It is quite surprising how many things Selenium affects in your total horse, mares especially. Horses who sweat often or a lot in work, may need more Selenium because they "use it up when sweating", so they can get to a very low number quickly. This is one of the reasons we test ours, because they sweat a lot when working hard.

We give our Selenium WITH Vit E, as a top dressing to EACH horse. This insures the horse gets the required amount for his body. For us this is cheaper, easier to do. Each of the big horses get 1/2 tsp a day, checked yearly to make sure levels are within recommended amounts. Feeds with Selenium and Vit E added, often require feeding horse way more grain or pellets than horse actually needs. Our horses don't get much plain (no molasses) mixed grains daily. So giving the Selenium with Vit E top dressed, provides them the correct amount needed.

The Vit E MUST be given with Selenium or horse doesn't absorb the Selenium as needed. Vit E is a helping vitamin, makes the Selenium work for the horse's needs. Waste of money feeding ONLY Selenium and no Vit E, just passes on thru their system and doesn't help anything.

Comment

My girl gets very crampy during heat. Of course, she is now wrapping up a 3 month stint on Regumate (silently thanks the Gods of Horse Birth Control) and I JUST spoke to the vet about her cramps when she comes off it.

He said vitamin B1 will help her. I read (here and there) about magnesium helping with spookiness (which may or may not be your case, but is mine) and he was not familiar with it and said it would not hurt to try. He also said he doesn't hold much faith in raspberry leaves, but have at it if I wanted to try it.

I plan on getting her on B1 and mag in August (post Regumate). I will report what happens. My girl gets sore backed. The ovaries are under the hip area.

Comment

My mare can definitely get a bit crampy during her heat cycles. I have never actually treated it with bute or anything, but if I notice it when I'm riding, I tend to back off whatever I'm doing and/or shorten my ride. She is usually fine again in a day or two. I used to give her a raspberry leaf-based supplement called Moody Mare, since she would have crazy amounts of discharge during her heats (to the point of scalding her hind legs), and seemed like she was in heat more often than not. She thankfully seems to have grown out of that though, she had a very obvious spring heat this year but has been ok since then!

Comment

When in season my mare, who is otherwise quite "discrete," becomes a bit "girthy" and just a bit NQR ("not quite right") in temperment. Nothing dramatic, just not "normal." I don't medicate, I just "work around it" by not pushing if I don't have to push.

Some mares turn into raging monsters, others show nothing at all. It's very individualistic.

G.
                  Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by goodhors View Post
                    The Vit E MUST be given with Selenium or horse doesn't absorb the Selenium as needed. Vit E is a helping vitamin, makes the Selenium work for the horse's needs. Waste of money feeding ONLY Selenium and no Vit E, just passes on thru their system and doesn't help anything.

Citation for that?
                    The two are synergistic, but not in terms of GI absorption.
                    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Vitamin E is an antioxidant and Selenium helps to remove free radicals and repairs oxidized tissues. So they work together, but neither is dependent on the other.

Maybe confusing it with Calcium and Vit.D3? Where you cannot absorb Ca without D3.
                      Horse Feathers Farm

Comment

What I learned from my horse's vet and chiropractor is that when a mare comes into heat, her ovaries press up against her pelvic bones which can cause discomfort, not unlike when women have cramps.

I have experimented quite a bit with my mare during her cycles and found a product called Mare Ease that works great for my mare and makes her cycles 1/4 of what they used to be. Of course, all horses are different, but my mare is so much more comfortable now than she used to be. Regumate seems like such an unnecessary expenditure.

Interestingly enough, my mare, who is a sport horse in heavy training, just had a massage on Sunday. In the notes the masseuse left was the comment "tightness in the pelvic region, may be the result of coming into season".

I think that just as in humans, mares do have varying degrees of discomfort during their cycles.
                        Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

I had my mare marbled, and haven't had any heat cycles since. It's worked great for us, cost about $100.00, and feels safer to me than adding systemic hormones. I had it done at our local vet school (UT Knoxville), and they've had wonderful results with marbles. My regular vet has not, so there is obviously something to experienced timing and insertion.

Comment

Working...
                          X