• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help....losing mane hair only underneath

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help....losing mane hair only underneath

Has anyone seen a horse lose its mane hair on only the underside? Kiger with a beautiful thick mane that started thinning on the underside a couple years ago. First thought it was choked from a hi-neck blanket, then last year she got fat and had a cresty neck but neither of those apply this year and it seems to be getting worse.
    Was about a 6" strip and now over half her neck length. The upper area near the poll is still thick on both sides. It is not from rubbing or fences because it is only the underside and its not broken hairs....they are completely gone. All you see is the dark skin....no flaking, bugs or sores

She still has a thick neck....residual from last years weight gain(lost the weight but not the neck). Not sure if it has to do with the fat deposits? Did something destroy the hair follicle? I don't see any signs of new hairs coming in....will it ever come back?

Vet appointment is coming up but hoping to hear that it isn't one of those "never seen it before" situations. Google proved fruitless although I saw someone ask about it on a Vet site....but no reply. She is wormed regularly.... Bathed only couple times a year and a weekly light spray of Canters M&T....otherwise I just groom.

Any ideas? Thank you

Hi! I also have 2 kiger mares. My oldest mare had gotten way too fat before I got her and now has a cresty neck and there are parts of her mane in one area that do not grow hair anymore. She still has mane there and that does grow, but its not as thick as other area's, so its from the cresty neck. Ive not been able to get her neck to go away, altho with a very strict diet and riding, it did go way down but never went away. Some others had suggest electro therapy in that area - like what they do to stallions who have cresty necks..but have never tried it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Georgiatrails View Post
      Hi! I also have 2 kiger mares. My oldest mare had gotten way too fat before I got her and now has a cresty neck and there are parts of her mane in one area that do not grow hair anymore. She still has mane there and that does grow, but its not as thick as other area's, so its from the cresty neck. Ive not been able to get her neck to go away, altho with a very strict diet and riding, it did go way down but never went away. Some others had suggest electro therapy in that area - like what they do to stallions who have cresty necks..but have never tried it.
      Thank you Georgia....I had a feeling that may be the cause. Not happy to hear that it doesn't grow back and super curious as to why. I will have to ask the vet if he knows. I also feel your pain about not being able to get rid of the crestiness even with weight loss. I think I read on a Kiger Board that mustang mares tend to be a little cresty naturally so any weight gain shows up fast. My other mare is normal plus weight and has a slight crest and beautiful long thick mane. But my younger one seems to always struggle with her weight. I would wonder if the electro therapy may help the fat deposits but couldn't it destroy the remaining follicles? I will keep you posted if I learn anymore about it and thank you again for your response.

Comment

From what I was told on electrode therapy, its like accupuncture and they insert the needles in the cresty part of the neck and that's what is treated, not the mane follicles itself, so it shouldnt affect the mane, just gets rid of the fat. I was not able to do it so can't really say tho. I've heard remission (a supplement), I think I spelt it right or maybe emission, helps also but again, have not tried it. Its fairly inexpensive also, can get it at most stores. I have a 3year old mare that luckily I raised and hadn't got the cresty neck, altho I have to keep both on a strict diet with mostly a lot of dry lot hours, especially right now with summer here.

Hope this helps some. I think I've just accepted it in my mare, it used to drive me crazy but Ive had her for almost 5 years now and love her to pieces no matter what!!

This is her this year...my soul mate!

Comment

• Original Poster

She is beautiful and could be my mares twin
          Further investigation has pointed out that Spanish Mustangs are at higher risk of IR due to domestic diets. That being said....her weight gain last Summer (literally 100lbs in less than 2 weeks) probably put her at risk of IR. Thankfully I was pro-active and now feed them accordingly just to be safe but I sure would like to see a little less fullness in the neck and the mane grow back.
          I have her on magox and chromium (main ingredients in Remission) and I do believe they are maintaining her but I don't like supplements that have too many things in them....it doesn't let you figure out what really works. Someone mentioned ChasteTree Berry and Cinnamon, but I think I will wait for the vet visit before trying something else.
          I hear you about the soul mate....I bought my problem child as a baby and she is now 8 and my other one was wild caught at 4 and she is 14. Both are my best buds and they take good care of me. Sorry I can't post pictures but if you send me your email I will email you some. My older one can be seen on YouTube under Bella Rose Kiger in Dressage....my friend showed her for me and she took first place at every show. My younger one thinks dressage is for sissys'
          Thank you again and I will keep you posted.

Comment

Oh wow! I have seen your mare Bella Rose in that video, what a great video and great mare..! Great job by your friend...! Sounds like you've got 2 great kiger's!!

I had my older mare's thyroid tested when I first got her and it was ok. I've never heard of a kiger foundering but they sure do get fat real quick. My 3 year old was at the trainer's a few months ago and she didnt adjust to that change at all - she would only eat her feed in am/pm and barely pick at some alfalfa for a whole month and she was in perfect weight so that just goes to show you how little they need to stay healthy. She's back at home now and a pig again...!

This was a pic of her the 1st month she was there....

Right now mine are kept up during the day all day on a lot and put out at night, that does help maintain some.

Comment

Your mares are lovely!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Zebra Dun View Post
                Your mares are lovely!
                Thank you....they are beautiful animals and wonderful dispositions. Deep connections

Comment

• Original Poster

Awe Georgia....they're beautiful Nice dapples too!!
                  Yeah...they get fat pretty quick. Bella is pretty tall for a Kiger...almost 15.2 and about 1000 pounds but Claire is only 14.3 without a recent trim and about 875 She would be fine at 850 but starts looking a bit scrawny. If you have ever seen Kiger Cougar at the Kentucky Horse Park....Claire could be his sister....same build except Claire has a longer fore-lock and tail.

Where did you get your Kigers? I live in Oregon and Bella (wild) came out of the Steen mountain area when she was 4...best horse I have ever met. Lots of pride and passion and a heart of gold. However my 8 yr old Claire was born in captivity....she is an absolute goof ball who doesn't give a care except when you need her most

Again...beautiful horses and sending them big scratches.

Comment

MsSteno: I had a mare that I suspect had Kiger in her or was Kiger. She had all the classic zebra dun markings, was small, and was an air fern...cresty neck and all. And she was tough. A wonderful horse, once I had her trust, there wasn't anything she would not do for me. I loved her, and our partnership was solid. Sadly, I lost her going on 4 years ago; she was well into her 20s as far as I can guess. Adore your mare, hug her cresty neck!

Comment

Zebra Dun - you are correct, once you get there trust, they will climb mountains for you! The bond between horse and owner is very special. Ive seen that kiger's make you prove yourself to them first, then they are putty in your hand and they are very herd (family) oriented, and treat you as one of there family members once you're bonded with them. The most time ive ever spend without see'ing them was almost 2 weeks and when I did go out finally, both of my girls were all over me, I could tell they missed me and wanted to know where I had been

There is a kiger adoption this year, Oct 7th and 8th for those interested. They only round them up every 3 years...so this is going to be an exciting year!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Zebra Dun View Post
                        MsSteno: I had a mare that I suspect had Kiger in her or was Kiger. She had all the classic zebra dun markings, was small, and was an air fern...cresty neck and all. And she was tough. A wonderful horse, once I had her trust, there wasn't anything she would not do for me. I loved her, and our partnership was solid. Sadly, I lost her going on 4 years ago; she was well into her 20s as far as I can guess. Adore your mare, hug her cresty neck!
                        Zebra....I agree. Life is too short and I am lucky to have them in mine. I could share some seriously heartfelt stories about some of the experiences we have had but a forum isn't the right place. Both of mine are great horses with a huge hearts. My younger one just happens to also have a wee bit of a crest and thinning mane
                        Sorry about your loss but the memories live on forever.
                        Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                        X