• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tying a horse out to graze?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying a horse out to graze?

Question...someone forwarded this to me from a horse farm's facebook page.

"Tying a horse out for grass, do it the safe way. Run your tie rope through an old garden hose or heck, buy one if you have too. Put rope all the way through to your halter hitch. Tie a knot at the other end of the rope at the end of the hose to keep hose from sliding down. Now you have a way of tying out your horse without the worry of ropes entangling and burning his legs."

I don't ever tie a horse out...even the trail riders I know use a picket line or a portable electric fence. Sounds dangerous to me, no matter how you look at it. Am I crazy?

Tying a horse unsupervised is dangerous. Tying a horse to graze unsupervised is asking for him to break a leg. Why on earth people do it is beyond me.
    Esmarelda, "Ezzie" 1999 Swedish Warmblood

"The world is best viewed through the ears of a horse."

Comment

It is quite possible to picket a horse for grazing using a picket pin and picket rope. It was regularly done by cavalry units in the field. Horse guards were used for security.

As long as security watch is kept it's fine.

G.
      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

This is very common in Europe.

Comment

I understand its used for Field Trial horses too.
          "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

We used to tie horses out to dog stakeout ties (the ones that the ring rotated on) with 20 ft leads. Was it smart? No but I was a kid and that's how my parents would do things at times. Never had one injured that way. Sheer luck.

Comment

I saw that as someone's status on facebook too. I couldnt quite envision what they were trying to explain, but I would never tie a horse to graze. Or leave a horse tied unattended.
              Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
              White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

When I was a kid the neighbor girls had no fenced pasture, their ponies were staked out daily and it worked OK for them, BUT, when I tried it with my horse it was an immediate fail, we used clothesline and she was gone in less than an hour, so the oldest neighbor used a chain when she bought her horse and that was a HUGE mistake.
                I also used to see people stake their horses on the grassy verges of the four lane hwy - 50 feet from the road. Nice grass so they tended not to leave.
                I might stake out the pony but I don't think I would ever stake out the old guy - it so totally depends on their mentality because they do get caught up in the rope and they have to just deal with it, the old guy doesn't understand a trailing lead rope, although he may learn in time, but the pony already knows to turn his head and trail it off to one side if he wants to move in a hurry.
                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

Would it make a difference if I told you a rescue posted this?

Comment

My horses were hobble broke first, and we advanced to picketing out by one leg. However they were REALLY well trained about the leg stuff, before adding the rope to tie. I found it an advantage for grazing when they had no pasture space at barns.

The hose covering is a good suggestion, but you do need a long rope to allow horse room to work his grazing area, less likely to get it around a hoof or rope burned.

I tried the tying out with a halter attachment, but got a lot of rope burns with head lifting to check things, front leg over the rope or hose covering. Using one leg to tie, rope stayed down on the ground, not much chance to rope burn the leg.

Having come up with reading US Calvary books, old Western stories, I didn't really think anything of training my horses to hobbles and picketing by one leg. If THEY did it regularly, "how hard could it be??" Well with some training time in, it was not so simple, but not really difficult either. Horses had done a lot of stuff, this was just one more "weird thing" they got used to doing.

I did get my picket pins made by a welder, 2ft long, and pound them into the dirt so no top is showing. Horse or rope won't get snagged while grazing the area. Rope was at least 30ft, gave a 60ft circle to graze, good for an hour or two. Horse was always under supervision, but not standing over them every second.

Training came in handy a number of times, horses didn't spook when wire broke and they tangled in it. PREVENTED injury by standing still until rescued. My horses had no scars or damage from the training.

Might be a case of what you expect from the horse, lower standards of training because you don't EXPECT them to do scary looking things. My horses had to do anything I thought would be interesting, always managed to "cowboy up" when asked. Some horses are not able to mentally deal with some requests.

If a tied out horse is not acting like a dork, he probably will manage the picket line alright. Horses have been tied out on picket lines to graze for hundreds of years. It isn't anything new.

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess it depends on the area of the country and the circumstances. I, personally, don't foresee a situation where I would need to tie a horse to graze, as I would expect from almost all the farms around here. We have adequate pastures and paddocks, if a horse needs to be hand grazed, he is.

If we need temporary small turnout paddocks we used round pen panels or electric fencing all enclosed by perimeter fencing.

If you're on a trail ride, I wouldn't expect you to carry a hose along. Under what circumstances would you think it would be necessary to tie a horse to graze on your farm?

Comment

Originally posted by jaimebaker View Post
                        We used to tie horses out to dog stakeout ties (the ones that the ring rotated on) with 20 ft leads. Was it smart? No but I was a kid and that's how my parents would do things at times. Never had one injured that way. Sheer luck.
                        We did the same thing w/ our shetland pony - this was back in the 70's and this guy was as sane as they come so it was never an issue. I was also a kid and didn't know any difference. But we only did it w/ him - the rest of the crew were out in a big pasture. But no I would not do it nowadays...
                        "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

Routinely done on camping trips, by cowhands on ranches for a lunch break for rider and horse, by many trail riders. Horse needs to be truly hobble broke first and using a tie rope that is attached to a stake in the ground is much less likely to get tangled up than a rope tied to post, tree etc. I train horses to lead by a single foot, hobble, sideline etc before I stake one out. Have had a few minor rope burns and recently saw a suggestion to prevent that (two actually)....take a sock and wrap the pastern and hold on with duct tape and then use hobble on that pastern....sock prevents rubs. The other was to make your foot loop out of rope covered with hose section. Secondary benefit is if your horse is hobble trained like this and gets tangled in something they won't fight it and tear themselves apart....instead they will stand there and wait for someone to come rescue them. Have had several that managed to get a foot caught in something....once was buried coil of barb wire out on desert ride and the other was one that liked to paw at things and got a foot in the cross wiring of a fence corner...not sure how long she stood there but was calm as could be while I pried it out.
                          Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                          www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                          Northern NV

Comment

We used to picket my horse and pony when we camped -- can't recall the exact setup, but certain no hose was involved. They did fine. Not something I would recommend now, but heck, I jumped helmet-less back then too.

Hey, BO's son did even better when they moved in to the barn where I have one of my horses -- drove a t-post out in the middle of the field and tied his horse by its BACK FOOT with a long rope to the post so it could graze. I was not witness to this, just heard about it later. Horse was dead lame after that incident. Geez, ya' think? He went to Montana to play a cowboy, thank goodness. Watch out, Montanans!

Comment

It is pretty common in the South which is where the rescue is located. Laura your baiting is growing old. Seriously, give it a rest. We get it, you don't like them.
                              McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Please also note that that particular facebook page is maintained by several people who volunteer to help the rescue, and that statement could easily have been posted by one of them.

I can state for the record that I have visited Sunkissed on several occasions, and since there are numerous well-fenced pastures, there is no need to tie out on grass, nor have I ever witnessed that on any of my visits.
                                www.specialhorses.org
                                a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

• Original Poster

Since I had no intention of mentioning names, and I didn't, I really don't see what the problem is. I didn't out them...two other posters did. I was actually quite horrified that a rescue would post that as a possible solution. To my mind a rescue should promote good horsemanship skills. I doubt this is something taught in pony club or practiced at a well run farm.

It says nothing about hobble broke, it says nothing about trail riding, it says nothing about a picket line (and I've used a picket line...I've seen them used in polo too.)

It says...tying a horse out to graze.

Comment

I am going to clarify to end this stupidity. Anyone who is interested, please go to the Sunkissed Acres Facebook Page and read for yourself.

I just - literally - this has occured over the past few minutes - clarified with the rescue, since I know that they never tie their horses, period. In fact, this tip was posted after the rescue received three calls in the last week regarding serious injuries as a direct result of people tieing their horses in an unsafe manner. So, this was in an effort to educate.

Please stop taking things out of context.
                                    www.specialhorses.org
                                    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

Originally posted by ryansgirl View Post
                                      We did the same thing w/ our shetland pony - this was back in the 70's and this guy was as sane as they come so it was never an issue.
                                      My shetland spent many years dragging a tire

When we advanced to horses, we still turned them loose with a drag rope when we were home. They didn't need the tire.

And yes, horses can be safely picketed. As has been mentioned, the hose is to keep the rope from tangling so easy, makes it more visible to the horse, and minimises rope burns if there is a problem.
                                      ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

If you check out the origin of the term "fetlock", you will find that it derives from the fetters used to restrain the horse.

Not all times and cultures use the same techniques as we do.
                                        Certainly desert and steppe nomads had few fenced paddocks or round pen panels...
                                        "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Working...
                                        X