• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Smartpak...Love you, but really?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartpak...Love you, but really?

Got this email today...

We’re proud to be a trusted partner in the care of your horse, and part of earning that trust is admitting when we make mistakes. We recently sent you an email about Omega Horsehine® losing potency when stored in buckets or bags, but it turns out that is not actually the case for this product, and we sincerely regret the error.

While our study did find that a supplement containing Omega 3 fatty acids along with vitamins and minerals lost up to 20% of the potency of the Omega 3s when stored in a bucket, those results don’t apply to Omega Horseshine. In fact, Omega Fields, manufacturers of Omega Horseshine, have developed a proprietary flax-stabilizing technology that produces a stable, ground, fortified flax seed composition. As a result, the nutrients are locked in and guaranteed stable for at least 12 months, with no signs of rancidity or loss of nutritional value.

While SmartPaks are the only way to know your horse is getting the exact right dose every time, you can rest assured that whether it’s served in buckets or in SmartPaks, your horse’s Omega Horseshine will always be fresh and potent.

And here I thought my handy measuring cup was accurate. Go figure.

SmartPak is such a PIMA, but I gotta say I love not having thirty different one ounce scoops laying around...
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Comment

I'd guess the origin of this notice is the snappish letter SmartPak received from Omega Field's legal department.... and then SmartPak decided to add on a "reason" why you can't just measure it out yourself..........

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by stryder View Post
        I'd guess the origin of this notice is the snappish letter SmartPak received from Omega Field's legal department.... and then SmartPak decided to add on a "reason" why you can't just measure it out yourself..........

Yep...I'm able to use my measuring cup just fine with the bag of Omega Horseshine that I buy from Tractor Supply.

These types of "warnings" are what turn me off to companies. Good for OmegaFields for calling them on it.

Comment

Then again, I got a notice about the electrolytes I get in Gid's SP.... seems the dose needed to be smaller, and (by a miniscule amount), and they not only told me, but lowered the price!

L

Comment

Originally posted by dalpal View Post
            Got this email today...

While our study did find that a supplement containing Omega 3 fatty acids along with vitamins and minerals lost up to 20% of the potency of the Omega 3s when stored in a bucket,

And here I thought my handy measuring cup was accurate. Go figure.
            Two very important pieces of information are missing here. How long was it stored and under what conditions? Without that, the statement is meaningless.

I like Smartpak just fine but just like any other company they're in it for the money. I take these sort of advertising statements with a grain of salt. Or a big overpriced block of Himalayan salt depending on how overblown the claims are.
            "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

SmartPaks are the only way to know your horse is getting the exact right dose every time
              Because, you poor simpleminded fool of a horse owner, you can't POSSIBLY scoop things on your own, much less handle the 45 different supplements your horse MUST HAVE (lest he die a horrible death) without our help.
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                Because, you poor simpleminded fool of a horse owner, you can't POSSIBLY scoop things on your own, much less handle the 45 different supplements your horse MUST HAVE (lest he die a horrible death) without our help.
                Deltawave, for people like me who tend to think "if a scoop is good, then a heaping scoop is better" which then progresses to "if a heaping scoop is good, two scoops is even better" SmartPaks are a much simpler and ultimately cheaper way to make sure the amount fed is correct. Whether the supplement actually works or not is another matter altogether .
                Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                VW sucks.

Comment

For those of us that board our horses, the SmartPak gives peace of mind that, provided the person feeds the smartpak, they are getting everything we want them to have. I would not feel right expecting someone to individually scoop multiple scoops of supplements, getting each one accurate every time, for every horse every day. I like to think of it as setting them up to succeed....

Comment

• Original Poster

Smartpaks may be easier for some to give...but to make a blanket statement that they are the ONLY way to ensure the correct amount is total BS and insulting. I am capable of measuring my own horse feed and my own flax. Even as a music major (math is not my strong suit), I can manage without those little plastic containers that come in the mail.

Comment

Marketing 101 people! Why on earth would they not sell their product every time they communicate? My reaction? Meh! Whatever. I've used both SP's and scooped my own. I board in a small setting, but when your barn help is slightly incompetent, or doesn't read English or are teens with their own agenda...a SP is the way to go when you are only there 3 days a week.

I'm just glad they issued that statement. I find SP to be the best in the business right now.
                      Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Count me as a member of the SmartPak Fan Club! They sure come in handy if someone non-horsey has to step in and feed my horse.

I would rather have a company issue a false warning then retract it rather than not inform me of something that could potentially have an adverse effect on the health of my horse.

As a long time user of Omega Horseshine, I know it's made to be stable, which is why I appreciate it.

Kudos to SmartPak for retracting an earlier statement no matter what the reason.
                        Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

I think SP is pretty awesome. They've saved me countless hours of heartache and frustration measuring out my own little baggies. My horses aren't always in the "right" situations with lush fields, nutritious hay and the absolutely nutritionally correct start to life. I like being able to feed supps, and even if Billy Bob Neighbor feeds for me one afternoon, he still just takes the little strip, opens it, and puts it in. You KNOW how easily non horse people get confused by anything that says horse on it or looks complicated, and unless you NEVER get sick, take a vacation, or board your horse, SP is pretty technically right. I can always go count SP's and make sure everything is going right if I think there is a problem. Oh, and autoship? Saves my life.
                          Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Comment

Imagine 25 or 30 horses on supplements, that are different. The buckets living in the feed room would take up most of the space. There would be no room for feed.

The drawers with the right amount in each little well sealed is much tidier, and ultimately less wasteful, whoever is feeding can just grab the SmartPak for each horse and get the right amount to the right horse and it is still fresh.

Comment

Maybe their marketing is a bit aggressive but I have had very good luck with SmartPak.

For boarding a horse out or traveling, I think their system is awesome. I don't use many supplements - think it's gone a bit mad - but at home, I measure myself.

Where I actually love them the most is the quality of their staff. Most recently, I have an old man who needed a GOOD proboitic - called them, had very enlightening conversation and got what I needed. Many tales like that.

Comment

• Original Poster

This thread makes me laugh. A company can false advertise and basically say that people are morans and can't measure their own feed/supplements and folks are ok with that.

I've never gotten into the "What supplement should I buy" mindset. Good feed, flax..that's it.

It's fine that people enjoy their product....but frankly, I think it's over the top to say "Hey, you need to pay us to measure your feed, you are too stupid to do it yourself." Sure, I get that some people board (so do I), but many of us are capable of mixing up our own feeds/supplements without the help of a plastic container. And how do you REALLY know that the plastic containers have been measured correctly and every scoop is exactly the same? Obviously SOME human had to measure out the supplement at some point.

I just take my little scoop, meaure out my feed and my flax and put it in a zip lock bag...barn manager feeds it...no different than the little expensive plastic containers.

And yes, I do buy things from smartpak (not the "smartpaks", but other things such as fly spray, etc.)...I have always liked the company, but this type of "marketing 101" turns me off...doesn't make me want to run out and buy smartpaks.

Comment

I give them an A+ just for admitting that they made a mistake. Mistakes sometimes happen but not everybody owes up to them.

As far as packaging goes. I scoop my own at home for 3 of our horses but I am very glad for the pre-measured containers when I step in at my daughters boarding barn.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by My Two Cents View Post
                                    I give them an A+ just for admitting that they made a mistake. Mistakes sometimes happen but not everybody owes up to them.

As far as packaging goes. I scoop my own at home for 3 of our horses but I am very glad for the pre-measured containers when I step in at my daughters boarding barn.
                                    I'm guessing Omega Fields TOLD them to admit that they made a mistake.

Comment

Well, bless your heart, Dalpal!

I think you read WAY too much into that email that SP sent out. I don't think they believe I'm stupid. I buy buckets of supplements from them, and not one single customer service person has ever made me feel stupid or incompetent. They've never even tried to make me switch to SP's with a soft or hard sell.

It is nice that you only feed one supplement to your horse. Others might have a different need. Good to know a company of their caliber is out there to assist me if I need advice or a wide array of product.

Give it a rest.
                                      Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Originally posted by dalpal View Post
                                        I'm guessing Omega Fields TOLD them to admit that they made a mistake.
                                        Omega Fields may have pointed out that SmatPak made an error. That certainly doesn't mean there was any intention to mislead people. They notified people of the error. What's the big deal? Why try trash a company because they made effort to fix a problem? "Guessing" that Omega Fields "TOLD" them to admit it. Purely "Guessing"? They sent out information correcting the statement. If you don't want to use SmartPak .... don't.

Just to point out that there are people out there that don't follow directions. The "more must be better" mentality. For those people SmartPak pre-measurements are perfect. Never once has SmartPak made me feel that I was incapable of measuring my own suppliments. It's too bad that a general advertising statement was taken so personally.

Comment

Working...
                                        X