• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ichon/Glucosamine/Adequan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ichon/Glucosamine/Adequan

So my vet prescribed Adequan last week for my horse who has arthritis in his hocks. This will be his first time on any type of prescription joint medication. (I have him on the Du-Mor joint supplement which does seem to be helping.)

My vet called me and said Adequan is presently on an indefinate manufacturer backorder but he could sell me a generic that he has had good luck with. That generic is Glucosamine. I would administer it the same way I would the Adequan-- IM, a loading dose, and then monthly. (As an aside, it does bother me that if he's had such good luck with it he didn't offer it to me first knowing I'm on such a tight budget and how much money I paid last year with my horse's numerous injuries.)

In doing some research into it I've seen many posts people have made about having good luck with Ichon. I do note that using Ichon like Adequan would be an "off-label" use. What I don't see anywhere though, is how Ichon would be administered? Is it IM? Is there a loading period? Do you give monthly as maintainance? How much is in 1 dose?

I know all horses are different and some will respond to the "generic" versions and others won't, but I'm also curious if anyone has used glucosamine and also Ichon did their horse(s) respond better to one than the other?

I don't even know if he would write me a scrip for Ichon but I figure it's worth a shot.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

I don't have any experience with Ichon, but I can tell you IMO, the injectible glucosamine does nothing for the 4 horses in my barn that are on it. Adequan has research behind it to back it up so I'm sure that's why your vet prescribed it over the glucosamine. There is no generic for Adequan... What some people call generic Adequan is injectible glucosamine, not the same thing at all.

I have my Boy on Adequan, and will be starting him on Pentosan next week in lieu of Adequan, 1) because of the lack of it and 2) it's much cheaper.
    Last edited by BoyleHeightsKid; May. 12, 2011, 11:35 AM.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

It's not generic - it's a different product used the same way

Some people have success with it. Others do not. You can give it a try and see. It may be better than nothing, it may DO nothing.

Comment

If you do a search for Ichon you will find some good threads on the different injectibles

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the responses. I did do a search for Ichon but didn't see among the results anything that indicated how the dosing works. (Though perhaps I didn't read enough of the threads.) Can anyone tell me how the dosing works, and, if they had to choose, would they do Ichon or Adequan? Thanks!
          mm

Comment

Adequan is a proven joint medication. Ichon is a surgical lavage that happens to also be used like Adequan. My vet always said "if a horse does well on Ichon, imagine how much better he'd be on Adequan".

Comment

I have my two horses on the injectable glucosamine (cost reasons). Their problems were relatively minor and both have responded very nicely. My vet told me to space the injections out to weekly, then every other week, etc., and am still doing this.

I'd say if you can afford Adequan, do it. If you need something in between or if the source of supply dries up, or just want to try it, I would recommend it. The cost is so little that even if it doesn't work as well as the Adequan you won't feel it in your pocketbook.

Comment

I orginally gave my horse Adequan and when my vet started bringing in Ichon, we switched to using that instead.

My gelding has continued to maintain the same level of soundness as he did on the Adequan.

I am giving him one dose by IM injection once a week. I believe its a 5cc dose.

Comment

Try Pentason. I just switched over from Adequan and have seen better results and the best part, its a lot cheaper!

Comment

For those who have tried Ichon--what is the recommended dose and how often should it be given? Is it administered IM? I have several vials of it, as my friend used to work for Kinetic. I'd like to try it but I don't know if it's like Adequan in that you adminster one vial monthly...
                    Kim
                    'Like' my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...946873?sk=wall

Comment

I am very interested in this thread. I JUST started my horse (on Thursday) on Adequan. Am attentive to the info here. Staying tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by islandrider View Post
                        I am very interested in this thread. I JUST started my horse (on Thursday) on Adequan. Am attentive to the info here. Staying tuned.
                        FYI, very few vets will inject Ichon as it is not to be injected and not legal to use. (info as of last year) Not sure about the injectable glucosamine.

Comment

I think I would try a loading dose of adequan first and see if it helps. I was once advised to make a list and start from the least expensive and work up. However I had been told some vets have better results with pentosan which I think may also be cheaper.

Is your horse lame or just stiff. If he is off in any way I think you may find joint injections most effective supported by legend or adequan may make the injections last longer.

Comment

For those of you that are using Pentosan and saying it is cheaper, where are you getting it from and what dosage are you giving? I have looked around and felt that everything I found was actually more expensive than Adequan, so I have stayed with Adequan. As I only have two more doses left, and this manufacturer back order doesn't seem to be ending soon, I have started looking around for an alternative. I was looking into Ichon because it was cheaper, but if Pentosan can be found for cheap I would like to evaluate it as an option.

So where are you finding it and how much are you giving?

Comment

Originally posted by FolsomBlues View Post
                              For those of you that are using Pentosan and saying it is cheaper, where are you getting it from and what dosage are you giving? I have looked around and felt that everything I found was actually more expensive than Adequan, so I have stayed with Adequan. As I only have two more doses left, and this manufacturer back order doesn't seem to be ending soon, I have started looking around for an alternative. I was looking into Ichon because it was cheaper, but if Pentosan can be found for cheap I would like to evaluate it as an option.

So where are you finding it and how much are you giving?
                              If your vet can get it compounded from Wedgewood Pharmacy, the cost per dose is less than half of Adequan. I can't give you an exact cost because some vets will write a script for you to get it directly from them (VERY cheap this way), some vets will order it in for you and mark it up (still much cheaper than Adequan) and some vets won't get it at all. It all depends, you need to talk to your vet.

My guy is getting a 6ml dose once a week for 4 weeks, then monthly after that. Vet gets me a 50ml bottle for $200. That comes to about $25 a dose instead of $48 for Adequan.

Comment

I started my mare on Pentosan yesterday. It was about half the cost of Adequan.

My Vet had come out to remove Caslick stitches, so while he was there, I asked him about Adequan. My mare just turned 12 years old and has been doing low level eventing for about six years. I wanted to know his opinion about when to start proactive measures to keep her comfortable.

Dr. Mason said that some folks are proactive and some just wait until they start to see a problem. He checked the prices on Adequan, then mentioned Pentosan as an alternative. He said that Pentosan is cheaper and that he is seeing very good results with it.

It will be interesting to see if there is an improvement in Tessie's way of going.
                                When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

My vet called Wedgewood and they offer 50ml of Pentosan for $120 including shipping. They said to give 6ml doses once per week for the first four weeks and then once per month after that. That works out to about $15 per dose.

I've been able to find Ichon for about $25 per dose. I can get Adequan for about $37 per dose.

My guy is on Adequan right now and doing great. I'm thinking about switching to Pentosan for cost savings, but worry that it won't be as effective and I'll have to switch back to Adequan and do the loading dose all over again. But, at the cheap price of Pentosan I could give a shot every 2-3 weeks and still save money over the Adequan, which I only give once per month. Thoughts?

My other idea was to give Ichon and Pentosan, which would be about the same cost as the Adequan, but would give him extra medication. Thoughts on that?

Comment

I think I would try one at a time to see if you get desired result. I think if it we me I would try a loading dose and see what improvement you see, then you will know what is worth trying again down the road.

Comment

I already did the loading dose of Adequan and now he's on the once monthly shot. If I switched to either Ichon or Pentosan (or a combo of both) do you think I would need to do the loading dose all over again? Especially w/ Ichon as it is the "same" as Adequan?

Comment

Working...
                                      X