• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rest in Peace, Stan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest in Peace, Stan

Tuesday morning Stan passed away quietly and peacefully with his head buried in a bucket of grain, with the help of a wonderful veterinarian.

Stan in better times: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27675...00789832HGjczf

He had arthritis in his coffin joint, which was manageable for several years, but this spring he really started to go downhill. Stan always liked cold weather, was most comfortable standing in the snow, and was miserable in the heat, so I decided not to put him through another summer.

I purchased Stan on Valentine's Day, when he was 8 months old. At the time, I was in the Navy, and I boarded him at a large lesson barn, and Stan loved the children, right from the start. He loved to hear them giggle and squeal, and whenever the kids would help with filling water troughs, he'd splash his hoof in the water and soak them

If a child wanted to learn how to worm a horse on worming day, I'd let them worm Stan, since he was thrilled to have anything in his mouth.

The gentleman who owned the boarding stable also bred welsh ponies, and had a day camp for children in the summer. One of their projects was sacking out some of the babies, and I agreed to let them use Stan as well. When I stopped by to see how things were going, Stan was standing completely still, looking incredibly pleased with all the attention as a group of kids patted him all over with towels and started braiding his mane.

After Stan was gelded, shortly after I'd purchased him, he had to go the vet hospital. It turned out that it was no big deal, the vet had left one of the cords too long and it was sort of dangling into his scrotum, but there was some question about whether or not there was a hernia involved, so we opted to open him up at the vet hospital, just in case. We were driving down the beltway around D.C. in morning rush hour traffic, when the escape door flew open. We stopped the rig, looked inside, and Stan had managed to get both his front legs over the chest bar. No idea how he'd gotten there, but he was just sitting there, with his front hooves off the ground, hanging out. We pulled off into a mostly empty parking lot, removed the chest bar, backed him up, put it back up, and carried on with our trip.

Which went well until just as we were pulling into the driveway of the vet clinic, and we heard a huge crash from the trailer. I'm not sure if he slipped or what, but we opened the trailer, and he was lying on the ground, under the divider, with his head still tied up. I thought for sure he was dying with his head at that angle. Quickly untied him, and he began cheerfully munching on the hay on the trailer floor, still lying down. Someone came out if the clinic to help us remove the dividers that Stan was lying under, which was not an easy task, but he just lay there munching, even when we had to set parts of the divider down on his body as we removed them. By the time we were done, I was sure he must've broken a leg because he was still lying down, and had made no effort whatsoever to get up. But when I gave a little tug on the lead rope, and asked him to walk, he stood up and slowly made his way out of the trailer like nothing interesting was happening.

Stan's surgery went well, but afterwards they told me that although he was up, he didn't seem to be waking up completely. But he was awake enough that I could go see him. He was standing there relaxing, with his ears a little floppy and his lower lip drooping, and I said "What's the problem? He always looks like this?"

Thankfully Stan rarely made the same mistake twice, so future trailer rides were mostly uneventful.

He was an easy-going solid citizen right from the start. As a yearling and two year old, I long-lined him around the farm, even while shows were going on, and he was just so incredibly cooperative and laid back. http://pets.webshots.com/photo/29957...00789832Mdkvka

Stan was incredibly easy to start under saddle. Nothing phased him, he learned things really fast, and he seemed to genuinely enjoy the attention he got from being worked with.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20149...00789832WWUROh

He was always a little clumsy, but he was great on the trail, would go anywhere, and never seemed to get excited about anything. And if you told him to walk, he would walk, no matter what was in his way. He eventually grew to be a big guy, and he had no problem blazing a trail, pushing small trees and underbrush out of his way.

There was a small ditch near the arena where we boarded, and it was often filled with water. Early on I taught him to cross it (which wasn't hard with him), and the first time he did it, I made a huge fuss over him. After that, if you were riding him, and you dropped your reins, he'd cross that little ditch all on his own, and then stand on the other side, looking very proud of himself

He liked his horse buddies, but he was never herdbound. I remember one of our early trail rides, one of the horses we were with bolted, and I thought "Oh shit, we're going to follow." But Stan just kept walking, looked at the other horse like "what was that all about?" Even later in life, if someone we were riding with got too far away on the trail, he might call, but he never sped up. I think the only time Stan ever moved faster than the horses around him was when we were trailriding with a group of kids on ponies, and we were riding through water that was really deep on the ponies, but not so deep on Stan.

When I got out of the Navy, I had Stan shipped back to Wisconsin with me. He survived the trip despite the fact that the shippers could not get him to stop opening the windows and sticking his head out.

Once he was here, I sent Stan out to learn to drive. http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25452...00789832PHtRsH Trainer quoted me a price but wanted to be paid at the end of the month, instead of upfront. When I picked Stan up, he actually charged me less than he quoted me, saying that Stan had been so easy to train that he didn't feel right taking the full amount. Good Stan, and thank you trainer! Trainer's kids loved Stan, too, and the trainer was happy to have a horse in that his kids could actually interact with.

I became close to a woman who breeds Belgian Draft horses, she taught me how draft horse shows work, and we went to a few together. One of them put the beer tent right next to the arena, and as we drove in for Ladies Cart, there was a man on stage jumping around playing the accordion. Stan cocked his head and looked at the guy, but kept right on going.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20582...00789832ssFmkq

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25515...00789832cFapou

Stan was incredibly well behaved, and nicely conformed, but he wasn't very "hitchy". Just didn't have that flash and knee action you'd want in a top hitch horse, but that didn't stop us from having a good time, and even picking up a few ribbons here and there.

But Stan's greatest strength was always with the children. I volunteered with a local 4-H, and we used Stan as a demonstration horse a lot. Showmanship, clipping, bathing, driving, Stan did it all.

One of the 4-H kids even showed Stan walk-trot in open shows. Stan knew the drill and did whatever the judge said, so all the kiddo had to do was hold on and try to posy on the correct diagonal. Not bad!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28262...00789832bDRbvi

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25480...00789832wIChpu

When my dressage horse started to age, and my current mare was pregnant, Stan even got drafted into taking dressage lessons. Although by this time he was 18.2 hh, and not built for it, he was a good sport, and over the course of the winter he managed to master leg-yields and lengthenings, and was great about maintaining consistent contact.

Stan was probably the only horse I've owned that was far more limited by his physical capabilities than his mental ones. He was not at all athletic, but he was honest as the day is long.

Stan spent some time in a therapeutic program as I started working with my mare, and then came home to retire after that.

He enjoyed his retirement. He was always willing to work for the attention and treats, but you could tell that he thought getting attention and treats without having to work was WAY better.

He hated the heat, but he was happy to stand in the sprinkler if you put one out for him, and he'd beg to be sprayed with the hose when you were filling water troughs.

Fortunately we've had a cool wet spring, so that plus a lot of bute made Stan's last couple of weeks good ones. Lots of peeps, carrots, and hand-grazing.

The excavator we hired dug what basically amounted to what looked like a garage opening in the side of a hill for Stan, so we could walk him in, turn him around, be out of his way when he went down, and not have to move him once he passed on. We got a bucket of grain, and in typical Stan like fashion, he ate cheerfully and enthusiastically, and never batted a eye at his odd surroundings.

Rest in Peace, Stan. I love you, I miss you, but I'm so glad you're not in pain any more.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Sweet memories. I am sorry for your lost. Stan was a lucky, gentle giant.

Comment

What a beautiful tribute! Vale, Stan.
      Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
      -Albert Camus

Comment

Godspeed, Stan. (((hugs))) to you, Wayside. So sorry for your loss.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all. <hugs>

Gosh that turned into quite a novel. Stan and I had a lot of good times together
          "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
          -Edward Hoagland

Comment

What a blessing you had in that big boy

(( many hugs ))
            <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Amazing tribute to a really special horse. Sorry for your loss Hugs!!

Comment

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing Stan's story and for sharing your wonderful friend all those years with children. As a child, I was fortunate to have a few Stan's shared with me over the years. I often wish that I could go back in time and thank the owners again and again because as an adult I still appreciate their generousity. So from all the kids in Stan's life, may I say thank you to both you and Stan for making a positive impact on a kids life.

Comment

What a totally special horse. So sorry for your loss, but thanks for doing right by him, as he did for you for so long.
                  "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Thanks for posting that. Absolutely loved the pictures of his w/t rider.

I'm so sorry he's gone, but what a wonderful life he had. And what a gentleman.

Rest in peace, Stan.

Comment

What a lovely, heartfelt tribute for a wonderful horse.

Thank you for sharing him with us.

Godspeed, Stan.
                      Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Very special horse and OMG that child looks tiny on him
                        Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                        Originally Posted by alicen:
                        What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

Stan sounds like he was a wonderful horse. I wish all horses were lucky enough to be so loved. My condolences.

Comment

All we can do is give them the best life possible while they are with us. You clearly did that. Been there and it is so hard. All the best.

Comment

Oh Stan was magnificent from the first picture, and only got more so as the wonderful story went on!

Godspeed Stan, what a tremendous impact you have on everyone around you!

Comment

What a wonderful tribute for such a gentle giant. Godspeed Stan.

Comment

My deepest sympathies on your loss. Stan was blessed to have you, as you were blessed to have him. Thank you for sharing his story, what a lovely tribute to a grand horse.
                                  There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

I'm so sorry he's gone, but awful glad you had him. Godspeed Stan.
                                    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

What a lovely tribute to a very special Stan. Many hugs to you, Wayside, and just remember that Stan will always be in your heart.

Comment

What a lovely horse Stan was! Thank you for being such a perfect owner for him. He sounds like he was a first class character, as well as being a major sweetheart.

Comment

Working...
                                        X