• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Club Foot...info pls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Foot...info pls

I saw a young prospect that was for sale yesterday and it had a clubbyish front foot. Definitely more upright and narrower than the other.

Should I have concerns over long term soundness? Pass? Consider the horse and have the vet take a few radiographs? Can proper shoeing help? What issues might I face (if any)? Any info would be appreciated.

And by the way the horse was barefoot and and probably has never seen a shoe.

Thank you.

Clubby or just more upright and contracted. what are the angles on front feet? Clubby ick. Contracted ick.

Personally I would not purchase a horse with a foot like this ever again. Have owned 3 minor clubs in my lifetime. Problem is, it can be a management nightmare. Owners must be educated with what works best for their horse and know when or not a farrier is handling properly. One horse I had had an upright foot. We desided to get check lig surgery. It was successful and he was an adult when they did it. That is always an option.

Tried to get angles the same on both. With trimming always started with lower angled foot typically wide pancake flat foot and took as much toe as possible. Set shoe back on this foot to speed it up. The way we handled the upright foot was to leave toe take any flare try to slow it down so do not set shoe back. Set shoe forward and heels came more forward to the shoe instead of upright heels.

I just had a farrier inform me last week some people disagree with how he handles clubby feet. He would put a wedge on it! Maybe I am missing something but take a steep foot and make it steeper? Lacks logic to me but what do I know? I am not a farrier. (this of course came from the same guy who chopped 4 degrees off on of my horses hind feet). I think some people probably disagree with a lot of what this guy does.

Can be a very big challenge. Lots of young horses with two matching feet out there.

Comment

I think it might depend on what you want to use her for. I had an Arab with a club foot that was fine for trail riding. It never bothered her. Sometimes it's not really a club foot, but bad trimming.
      "Humans will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple,
      or more direct than does Nature." ~Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Sometimes it is a grazing hoof where one hoof has a low heel and the other hoof has a higher heel due to which foot is in front when the horse has its head down grazing or eating......
        Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Comment

The reason the one farrier would want to put a wedge pad on the clubby foot is this: It would help the horse gradually bear more weight on that heel, and relax the back tendon/musculature. When you just keep chopping the heel way down, it just makes the horse tendon sore. If he gradually bears more and more weight on the heel, the heel will spread and the front angle will naturally become less steep.

Comment

For me, and I am very passionate about this, never EVER will I own another club footed horse.

There are other horses out there that do not have this.

I do not care if a farrier (read this as cost me/you $$) thinks they can fix it. No. And I have the spent bank account to prove it.

Call it whatever you want, grazing foot, but it is what it is, club foot.

I won't buy a horse with club foot.

I do not care if this horse is a fabulous deal, or did such and such. When it comes down to it, no club footed horse will I ever have again. I got my bank account, and heart broken (twice) over club foot. This is my number one deal breaker. I have spent countless vet bills, and farrier bills. Also ride fee's.

There are thousands out there with *no* club foot. Sure the ones with club foot are GREAT bargains. But look to the future. This is not a prospect.

I do not care what surgery they can have, it is still a club foot.

Choose another horse. So many are out there with better feet than a club foot.

Club feet are cyclical. They go from a period of no trip, perfectly sound, to the worse which is tripping, and omg is your horse lame?, it is bobbing its head and it just ain't right somewhere (read that as vet $$). It all depends on where they are in the cycle of where their feet grow out.

JMHO, I mean this sincerely, and honestly. Fine if somebody's horse is a 4 star eventer or 100 miler endurance horse, but most are few and far between.

Comment

Clubbed feet, upright feet any of that is certainly a sign of something not perfect. I have several horses with varying levels of a steep foot competing successfully.

My opinion is watch the horse move. If it is sound, then it's sound. A competent farrier should be able to handle that easily.
              Scott Gregory
              (513) 678-9877
              www.farrierservices.net

Comment

I bought a mare with a foot that sounds like yours. She had never really been in work and was just a broodmare. I keep her barefoot and trim her myself, and she's schooling all FEI movements and never had any lameness with her four years later. I guess it depends on what your tolerance is.

Comment

I agree that I would not knowingly buy a club foot for jumping or serious trail riding based on my past experiences with them. The issue isn't just the foot, but the effect that the upright angle can have on the horse's back and shoulders.

Now if someone offered me a high level dressage horse for cheap because it had a club...I may consider it.

A pet peeve of mine are people that breed horses with genetic club feet...sure the foals likely won't inherit it, but the grand children will as clubs tend to skip a generation.
                  Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by steelbak View Post
                    Clubbed feet, upright feet any of that is certainly a sign of something not perfect. I have several horses with varying levels of a steep foot competing successfully.

My opinion is watch the horse move. If it is sound, then it's sound. A competent farrier should be able to handle that easily.
                    Agreed. I have an OTTB mare with a bit of a clubby front foot. She is sound on it and always has been. She raced for 3 years, I got her off the track at 5 and she's now 13 and schooling 3rd level dressage. We took regular jump lessons last year, but it hasn't been a focus for us.

My farrier simply keeps the foot balanced and the mare wears a regular steel shoe. No special pads necessary.
                    www.LatkaPhoto.com

Comment

Another positive note.

I bought a 4 yo mare, she had a slight club foot. In the all the years I had her, she was barefoot for most of the time. Did low level eventing, and third level dressage. She never took a bad step.
                      Taking it day by day!

Comment

Working...
                      X