Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

1539 Hatchaway Bridge Road 100

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

white hairs/scarring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white hairs/scarring

Okay, so I don't think anything I could have done would have helped, but just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone had suggestions.

Horse got a blanket rub on her chest. Its weird, because it seems like she also lost the pigment in her skin in the spot. Its definitely from her blanket, as its a circular size that matches the blanket buckle (no longer using that blanket, btw). Hair is now obviously growing in white.

Short of hitting up the hair dye aisle, is this something that might eventually grow back normally, or will she forever have this white spot on her chest? I have been using Corona and the like since she got it-absolutely no change to skin pigment or anything. On the bright side, at least she won't be bald.

My OTTB boy has two white spots on him (no idea how, they were there when i got him). One on his hip and one on his shoulder, and I really haven't thought much about them... they won't grow back in color, but why do you worry?

you can see the one on his hip here...
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

Comment

• Original Poster

well, for everyday not a big deal. For showing...it would be preferable if she were all one color, lol!

My other plan was to tell people she is a pinto

Comment

What color is she? Shapley's makes a line of spray-on color cover ups that would work for showing.
        It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

• Original Poster

she's a reddish bay. I'll have to check out Shapely's.

Comment

I shipped my gelding across country a few years back and he got off the trailer with a huge bald spot on his nose (Apparently he spent the entire trip shaking his head up and down and I forgot to send him in a shipping halter, duh). Unfortunately the hair grew back white so I imagine your mare will probably always have this. Luckily for me it is right where the noseband of the bridle rests so no need to cover it up for shows.
            I too have heard good things about Shapely's. I guess it also depends on what kind of showing you do. I know a couple eventers who have white spots including one who has a huge bald spot on the center of her chest. Nobody seems to notice at the shows, or at least don't really care.

Comment

My mare got cuts on both her hocks, both on opposite sides on the outside of the joint, at the same time. I'd like to know how she did that (???). But anyway, nether one was deep, they were both superficial. I gave them both the same treatment. The left cut is growing back as a white patch of hair, while the right is growing back as her gray hair.

I'm utterly dumbfounded.

I know this doesn't really help you out, but I saw the title and thought it kind of applied to my situation... It is incredibly noticeable on my mare, as she's a dark gray and now she's got a white spot on her hock.

So maybe some of that color spray paint type stuff will help?

Comment

Working...
              X