Sport Horse Spotlight

Flamenco head 2 (web)_300DH

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Melanomas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melanomas

Are there any remidies, supplements, drugs to help shrink melanomas. When I was in VA a lady feed grape seed pills and said the were for help reduce the size. Not sure if it worked.

I tried cimetadine on my gray mare but can't say that it made much different in the size of the lump that came up next to her ear. It might have shrunk a little. But then she also developed swelling around her eyes after being on it for several weeks - this coincided with being out on fresh grass, so not sure if it was allergies or the meds.

Comment

depends what type and where they are as to what treatment might help

Comment

I have a grey horse on 1600 mg Cimetidine AM and 2000 PM and it seems to be helping. I'm told more advanced cases respond well to Cesplatin injections.

Comment

I had a pony on Cimetidine for ten years. I like to think it helped.... The tumors did get her in the end though.
          Y'all ain't right!

Comment

I've had my pony on cimetidine for a couple of months. I pray it helps as she has far more melanomas than a pony her age should (she's not even six.) I'm taking pictures every month so my vet and I can compare.
            Pam's Pony Place

Pam's Pony Ponderings

Comment

I'm currently doing the Cisplatin Treatments for my 18 year old. He had a large melanoma under his tail that was constantly abscessing. Two treatments and the melanoma is necrotic in the center & shrinking.

Comment

From my understanding, cimetidine attacks rapidly growing cells so it more prevents growth rather than shrinking the tumors, although I did notice a little bit of shrinkage when I started my mare on it. One of the things that helped her the most though, along with the cimetidine, was the acupuncture and an herbal supplement called Stasis Breaker. I had my doubts at first but it really seemed to work. Other than that I haven't heard of much else. Someone on here mentioned Advanced Performance Formula working with melanomas but I haven't been able to find anything else that supports that. I would love to find more I could do for her. She was only supposed to live for a couple more months and that was 9 months ago. If only there was a magic cure.

Comment

Working...
                X