Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

My SI/stifly horse back into work - what do you see - what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lieslot
    replied
    Thx Mozart, looking forward to it .

I'll see if I can get some Previcox or Equioxx either one and what that does.
    I'm looking into the names of a couple of chiros I wasn't aware of that may come this way.

I did lots of hillwork last year, he struggles trotting uphil, hindend trailers a little behind and he swings his hindquarters in, but he surely storms downhill totally straight, no issues with the downhill part.

Leave a comment:

• coloredhorse
    replied
    Mozart, if it's not too much trouble, I'd love a PM of your program, as well. I have a horse similar to the OPs and while I think I have her on the right track now, would love additional ideas from someone who's already walked this path! Tks!

Leave a comment:

• NorCalDressage
    replied
    Mozart -

I too - third, or fourth that request, if you don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• TheBandit
    replied
    Originally posted by Mozart View Post
    I brought back an SI horse after he had been declared a "dud". I will PM you my program tomorrow, right now I have to dash.
    Would you be so kind to send it my way as well?

Leave a comment:

• Beethoven
    replied
    Originally posted by Mozart View Post
    I brought back an SI horse after he had been declared a "dud". I will PM you my program tomorrow, right now I have to dash.
    Ooo I would love a PM as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mozart
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pharmgirl
    replied
    I am not a vet (nor do I play one on TV but I do work with lots! ), but I have seen my fair share of horses go (including my own who has had stifle and SI issues), and I just don't see a neurologic horse.

What I see is one that is weak behind (sounds right for having the winter off), is possibly a bit stifly or sore in the SI (sometimes it's hard to tell which one from just a quick see). My guess is that the primary is actually SI, and with less work or a slip in the field, etc, the stifle becomes a problem (ask me how I know ).

IMHO, he does look like he gets a bit better over time in the video. That also would make me think cantering may help a bit. How he deals with cantering may also help you figure out if it's more the SI or the stifle. With SI issues, often early helps. When my guy's stifle is really bothering him (or he just caught it good!) he is very unhappy about cantering. JME

In one of the videos, it looked like he was guarding the RH- to me it looked like he would angle his hind end in a little going to the right. I can't remember which one you said was the worse one to start, but I would guess the other limb became sore from compensating.

I say just bring him back into work, with as much hacking as you can. If not, try adding poles in the ring or something to help. I was once told that with SI issues, try to avoid lots of down hill work (up hill not so bad) as that seems to be the hardest on it and the last activities to do as they are fully healed and strenghtened.

I suggest possibly doing estrone with him if he's still prone to catching those stifles. If you can keep from that happening (even the small ones) that will help a lot.

If you can get your hands on more previcox, I would do that just to at least keep some on hand (if not on for awhile if it still helps him at this point). My vet told me that if my guy ever really caught his stifle while I was riding/lunging, to give him an anti-inflammatory right away to help stop the inflammatory cascade in that stifle. I have done that in the past (along with the estrone) and I thought it really helped keep it in check while we worked through it.

There's also the prolotherapy route if the SI seems to be the main culprit. My vet has started doing this for certain issues, and has seen good results.

Oh, and FWIW chiro and acu do help my guy. Once he's fit and had some regular chiro, his maintenance isn't very often.

Good luck! He looks like a very nice horse!

Leave a comment:

• Lieslot
    replied
    I know whbar158 there's no 2 ways about it, not sure what to do anymore, it's raining most of this week anyway, so some time to think.

Atr, after the SI inj & meso he got 2 weeks off, also due to biopsy stitches and started back under saddle whilst given Previcox for 1 week only. He actually went quite well instantly I thought and I figured the injections were a success, but he deteriorated again 2 days off Previcox. I called my vets and asked for more Previcox, but they suggested to give him the winter off and try again thereafter. So that's where I am at today.
    I do wonder had I kept him on Previcox, perhaps I could have worked him over winter.

Leave a comment:

• atr
    replied
    Leiselot, quick question--I think it was asked before and go lost in the shuffle. Does he go better if he's on bute or the like?

Leave a comment:

• whbar158
    replied
    I think at this point you either just give up completely and let him be a pasture puff, or work through it and see where it takes you. Either he is going to get better or get worse or stay the same. As long as the horse is not getting worse and seems happy I usually have no problem riding them for fun. I think I would think about forward and ignore collection or strong on the bit type work. Just work on fitness, and then see how he is doing. Many horses enjoy a life where they are not 100% but still do some work and are sound enough to do what they do. Get some fitness and see if it helps.

Leave a comment:

• Perfect Pony
    replied
    Originally posted by Lieslot View Post
    Sure PP, let's say he's neurological, so what do I do now?
    I never said not to ride him, and even mentioned as much in my PM. But I would ride him on a flat surface and try to leg him up slowly. If he does have neuro deficits it's not fair to ask him to do things that are physically hard or impossible for him, like cavaletti or hills. I would do lots of walking and hack him like a hunter, nice and forward.

If you really want to see if it's fitness related I would send him to a rehab facility with an aquatred before dealing with a trainer. My experience with trainers is most of them cant see lameness unless the horses head is bobbing, even the good ones. And lots of them simply ignore lamenesses. The only trainer in this area that I trust to see lameness has a terrible reputation as having a black cloud over her because she dares to tell owners that their horses are lame. Most people simply don't want to hear it and will go to the vet/trainer that will tell them what they want to hear.

Leave a comment:

• TheBandit
    replied
    The only time my mare looked lame was directly after she tore her SI ligament.

The best description of her movement when she is out of shape is that her movement is very flat, there isn't any power behind and she trails her hind legs out behind her.

Leave a comment:

• Lieslot
    replied
    Thx TheBandit, so does your horse look sound when working through it all or lame?

I just wished I could have a better idea of what stifly, SI horses look like. I read about it a lot, but not much video examples to be found, so it's hard to compare to have a feel for how lame my guy really is.

Leave a comment:

• TheBandit
    replied
    When I bring my SI/stifly mare back into work in the spring I start handwalking her on a flat surface. Usually 15-20 minutes for a week-10 days. Then I add 1 very gradual hill in the middle of the walk, starting and ending with the flat surface. To switch things up I will sometimes ground drive her. I get on and start hacking her after about 3 weeks. 15 minutes on a flat surface. I add more to the routine every 5 days or so. We start trotting about week 5 or 6. It is slow going, but it works for her.

Leave a comment:

• Lieslot
    replied
    Sure PP, let's say he's neurological, so what do I do now? I have no reason to change vet clinic, in my immediate area I won't find better then the vets I have, they honestly have a great reputation. Plus I really don't think I should question the capabilities of the U of M on issues like shivers & EMND, they are leading researchers on the subject.

Seems it swings both ways, either work him with a caring trainer or retire. It was probably stupid to try again last year after I had already thrown in the towel.

The anxieties are not necessarily riding related, they can happen in the stall, in the field, he's ubersensitive.

NorCaldressage, May of last year. I kept trying until Aug of last year, then sort of gave up and thought about trails, figured that wasn't working either so did a final effort, with entire work-up & injections.

Leave a comment:

• NorCalDressage
    replied
    Larkspur - good advice!

Lieslot - when was that canter video taken?

Leave a comment:

• LarkspurCO
    replied
    Originally posted by Lieslot View Post
    LarkspurCO, you are confirming what I'm worried about. I've seen a horse that was blistered and the horse was so sore, he kept laying down like he was laminitic. So these are things you don't forget and you never know how a particular horse will react to it.
    That's what happened to mine. There were times he could not get up on his own and I had to help. It was horrible. And it didn't help the stifles at all.

All of last year I really felt I needed a trainer, but it's such a difficult thing, do you ask a trainer to work a lame horse.
    I'll have to be upfront and say, he's lame, are you willing to work with him.
    A good trainer will understand the difference between a lame horse and an unconditioned, unbalanced horse. I was really afraid to work him and always looking for a way to fix the problem first. With his stifles, though, the work was the fix.

His stifles weren't just sticky. They would completely lock and would do so frequently, so making the commitment to work him was very difficult for me. I was really lucky to find such a great trainer.

When I finally stopped obsessing about it and stopped looking for the lameness all the time, I was able to move past it and really learn how to build him up.

If it's any help to you, my first trainer told me to get rid of my horse. She said, and I quote: "He is worth dog food." She said I would never be able to show him because the judges would ring him out of the arena. How wrong she was, and what a number she did on me psychologically.

When I finally got up the nerve to show him, we received a 70.8% on out TL test with nice comments from the judge, then went on to do very well in 1st that year.

I think your horse is really nice and has very pleasant gaits.

Leave a comment:

• davistina67
    replied
    Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Chiro work can also make them much worse. .
    How????

Leave a comment:

• Perfect Pony
    replied
    The problems with all the suggestions is they are all torture for a horse with any sort of neurological deficits. Cavaletti, backing up, hill work, any work in a frame, cantering. The canter video is the big one for me, he is clearly struggling to do what is asked, and he clearly cannot really use his hind end properly. Chiro work can also make them much worse. For me, the anxiety when he is out in unfamiliar surroundings is a red flag also. Add to all this the fact that vets have already mentioned shivers and EMND and I really don't think there is much doubt that he has some sort of neurological deficits to go along with everything else.

Leave a comment:

• Lieslot
    replied
    LarkspurCO, you are confirming what I'm worried about. I've seen a horse that was blistered and the horse was so sore, he kept laying down like he was laminitic. So these are things you don't forget and you never know how a particular horse will react to it.

If it stops raining, I'll get back on and see what he's like then and get him on acupuncture in the coming weeks.
    All of last year I really felt I needed a trainer, but it's such a difficult thing, do you ask a trainer to work a lame horse.
    I'll have to be upfront and say, he's lame, are you willing to work with him.

He's got a home for life, he can be my big petdog, there's no concern there. Last summer I had actually given up and decided to keep him as my walking trailride horse, but he's clearly not cut out for that mentally. He's a backwards bolter. Funny people often say backing could be helpful, well he certainly has no problems in his backwards gear, he'll back uphill, downhill, banks, ravines, you won't stop him. It's scary. Again from there I had to conclude if I want him as my trailride horse he needs a trainer to kick him forward when spooked on the trail or he needs drugs, as the issue is quite severe. But try to find a trainer do deal with just the backwalking on the trail is hard, you almost need a cowboy. But I will not put just anybody on him, because the anxieties can escalate easily into a nervous breakdown and you frighten him badly, it stays with him for life.

Last year the issue was left hindleg, seems now it's right hind.

Some asked about his canter, this was last year's canter (with some crappy riding on my part). NorCalDressage is right, he tends to go up rather then forward, you can see it at 1:08. He does it all the time, not covering enough ground in the trot and I haven't figured out how to deal with it on my own.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5rYg35f8LQ
    Last edited by Lieslot; Mar. 21, 2011, 09:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X