• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Adding Canola Oil to feed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Canola Oil to feed?

Its been a rough winter and my pastures have taken a beating. The majority of my horses are thin despite feeding more hay and grain (within reason). A friend suggessted adding canola oil to their feed to help them bulk up. I am wondering if anyone has done this? What your experience has been with it? Does it add weight? How did the horses react to it? and lastly, how do you determine how much to give?

Thanks in advance for the info!

I feed 1/2 cup 2x a day, it really hasn't bulked up my horse at all, but he wasn't thin to begin with.

I added the oil and 1/2 rice bran 2x/day so I could reduce his pelleted feed.

Comment

A good rule of thumb is up to 2 cups per day. Most horses will readily consume oils and at 2000 cal a cup it can be a great way of packing energy dense feed to a horse. Be advised some horses will back off feed if given oil and so it can be counter productive.

However a bigger question is why are they thin with extra feed despite the long rough winter? My horses were outside for all but the worst of days and exposed to cold temps, heavy wet snows, high winds and all the usual crap winter throws at us. Winter came early and has been no fun. But increasing feed/caloric intake by 20% and upwards to 30% during the worst weather offset any low body weights. Are they older now and need senior rations or are their other concerns? Teeth, parasites etc?

Comment

Canola is the rapeseed plant's oil. "Canola" was coined from "Canada" & "oil". This oil is illegal to feed to livestock in Europe, & has been for years. The eyes of livestock fed it were adversely affected.

Europe is usually ahead of the US/Canada in health matters, as is seen by the availability of human-grade drugs/herbs well before they're made available here.

There are websites dealing with the history of the marketing of "Canola" as being oh-so-healthful. You'll have to do your own research.

After doing mine, I've never ingested it nor fed it to any animal.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahGR View Post
          Its been a rough winter and my pastures have taken a beating. The majority of my horses are thin despite feeding more hay and grain (within reason). A friend suggessted adding canola oil to their feed to help them bulk up. I am wondering if anyone has done this? What your experience has been with it? Does it add weight? How did the horses react to it? and lastly, how do you determine how much to give?

Thanks in advance for the info!
          If your pastures are in no shape to support the horses then they need to be on about 1.5-2% of their ideal body wt in good quality hay a day for starters....good hay will usually keep weights good if fed in these amounts (this would be 15-20 lbs of 14% protein hay per day per horse for horses that should weigh 1000 lbs...if yours should weigh differently then you can figure the amount they would need).

Horses can tolerate, in most cases, up to 20% of their calories in the form of fats. However, fats shouldn't be used in place of good hay to provide calories alone....the horses need the nutrients in the hay plus the fiber to keep their gut working. If you are feeding the right amounts of hay and are using as much grain (usually not more than 1% of ideal body wt...or 10 lbs for the horse that should weigh 1000 lbs) as you should and they still need a bit more you can add oil (short term canola, vegie, corn are fine...usually the vegie is the least expensive)...start with 1/4 cup mixed with or on top of grain twice a day...some horses don't like it (I think it is more textural than taste) so you can add something like a tablespoon of molasses and mix with it. Increase by 1/4 cup each week (so second week would be 1/2 cup one feeding, 1/4cup the second, third would be 1/2 cup at both feedings etc) up to 1 cup per feeding twice a day....if the manure turns to cow patties back up on the fats.

Keep in mind that horses aren't going to gain instantly (if they've been losing wt it may take a couple weeks to just turn that around to gaining) and when they do gain it is usually at 1 to maybe 2 pounds per day and that it takes 100-150 lbs to increase body condition scores by 1 point/level....or a month and a half to three months. Ideally they will get some moderate exercise while gaining so that the wt gain is more in the form of muscle than just fat.
          Colored Cowhorse Ranch
          www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
          Northern NV

Comment

Originally posted by Western View Post
            Canola is the rapeseed plant's oil. "Canola" was coined from "Canada" & "oil". This oil is illegal to feed to livestock in Europe, & has been for years. The eyes of livestock fed it were adversely affected.

Europe is usually ahead of the US/Canada in health matters, as is seen by the availability of human-grade drugs/herbs well before they're made available here.

There are websites dealing with the history of the marketing of "Canola" as being oh-so-healthful. You'll have to do your own research.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canola-oil/AN01281
            True Bearing Equestrian
            St. Helena Island, SC

Comment

"Canola plants?" Your article doesn't even say what plant the rapeseed plant was cross-bred with.

You can read about the vested interest that big business had, connected with the Canadian government issuing a statement as to the healthfulness of "Canola" oil.

Resting on one short paragraph from the Mayo Clinic is unadvisable, imo.

Let the OP do the research. My conscience bade me give OP a "heads-up."

Comment

There is a very good nutritional segment on the Jumping Radio Show (listen on your computer or download the podcast from iTunes and listen on the go). There is a link to the Horse Radio Network at the bottom of the Chron's front webpage.

Recently the equine nutritionist who does these segments talked about feeding oils and fat. She suggests corn or soy oils. One should start with 2 tablespoons and work up. If you feed too much fat too soon, the horse may get very loose manure. Take a listen and learn from this great segment, whatever discipline you ride!

Comment

I dont mind facts, but..
                  It was named Canola for 'Canada' Low Acid' because it has low erucic(sp) acid. ...

Wild rapeseed does contain higher levels of eucic acid, the issue of which it can be toxic. normal canola oil from controlled genetic rapeseed doesn't. Hence why it is allowed for consumption, as well as it's byproduct rapeseed meal - which is well known for being fed to livestock.

Just saying...

As for feeding canola oil to horses, it's not a bad product, energy dense and will aid in putting on weight a bit.
                  If you are feeding oil for the specific reason of wieght, - you are better off trying to get an unprocessed oil rather than the processed ones from the supermarket - as the processing done in those breaks down some of the essential fatty acids.

sunflower/corn oils are best to feed, instead of a blended in my experience - if you wish to go that route.
                  Originally posted by ExJumper
                  Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Comment

rainechyldes, "ola" is a common suffix for "oil", like "Saffola" is the brand name for safflower oil, "oleo" is for margarine, etc.

You have no word for the "o" also, just the L means low & the A means acid.

However, what the "ola" means is beside the point of whether this product is healthful. I doubt that it's been legalized in Europe.

Comment

rainechyldes, "ola" is a common suffix for "oil", like "Saffola" is the brand name for safflower oil, "oleo" is for margarine, etc.

You have no word for the "o" also, just the L means low & the A means acid.

However, what the "ola" means is beside the point of whether this product is healthful. I doubt that it's been legalized in Europe.

go look it up.. seriously
                      canola was named for canada/ low acid is 1976 or 78, or LEAR (which I dont remember what that stood for) I forget I'm old. I'm not arguing it's healthfulness or otherwise, - in that most of the hysteria about it was due to an internet document written by John someone who blamed everything from mad cow disease to mustard gas attacks on Canola. The article if it's still able to be found is pretty funny. Well I thought it was, but I'm weird

I don't feed it - because there are better choices available - I never suggest soy for horses, becausemany horses are sensitive to it. why I voted for unprocessed corn or sunflower for weight if they wanted to feed pure oil- Which was the OPs question shrug.
                      Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Comment

I recently talked to my (equine) chiropractor and trainer and both told me that corn or vegetable oil is not a good idea, especially for horses with joint issues. I guess corn can cause major inflammation issues, so it affects these horses more. My chiro recommended Uckele's Cocosoya oil for my gelding, but he said he shouldn't stay on it for more than a year because it could affect his endocrine system (or immune system? I don't remember). Apparently too much soy can cause issues as well. Anyone have more info on that?

Comment

rainechyldes, we must have posted at the same time! Can you tell me how soy sensitivity manifests itself in horses so I can watch for it? Thx!

Comment

If I ever have nothing better to do, I'll research the "ola" in the coinage of "Canola". Now, I want to go eat a bowl of granola, with a drizzle of Saffola on it, or perhaps instead, a drizzle of Mazzola, none of which have to do with low acid content, but rather, have to do with oil.

Comment

Originally posted by DressageReine View Post
                              rainechyldes, we must have posted at the same time! Can you tell me how soy sensitivity manifests itself in horses so I can watch for it? Thx!
                              I've only had 2 cases of it in my barn.
                              1. A boarders horse showed a mild sensitivity to it - like a food allergy - - got her tested and it was the soy. Had been on a soy product for quite awhile - it was a fairly low key allergy - horse was NQR, but it never interfered with daily work if that makes sense.

2. A young horse I had, came down with the absolute worse case of sweet itch I 'd ever seen (or so I thought at the time)
                              - right down to chewing at his own skin on his chest, until he drew blood- it was awful. Rubbing his skin off against anything he could find. So that was the most severe I'd ever seen - so far, haven't seen anything similar to that again - got him tested, came back as the soy.

Theres a bit of documentation out and about regarding soy issues - soy is in a ton of horse feeds as well - I think soy allergy is probably rarer compared to how many horses are fed products containing soy.

Comment

Originally posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
                                If your pastures are in no shape to support the horses then they need to be on about 1.5-2% of their ideal body wt in good quality hay a day for starters....good hay will usually keep weights good if fed in these amounts (this would be 15-20 lbs of 14% protein hay per day per horse for horses that should weigh 1000 lbs...if yours should weigh differently then you can figure the amount they would need).
                                I would like to emphasize the importance ofgood quality hay in the horse's diet.
                                I have a variety of horses, and a variety of ages, they are fed enough hay that I do not have horses coming into spring 'thin'.
                                That would be totally unacceptable to me, meaning I did not feed enough hay or grain to supplement the hay.

I would re-visit your feed program before I added oil for weight gain.
                                save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Wiki is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola

Canola was originally naturally bred from rapeseed in Canada by Keith Downey and Baldur R. Stefansson in the early 1970s,[3][4] but it has a very different nutritional profile in addition to much less erucic acid.[5] The name "canola" was derived from "Canadian oil, low acid" in 1978.[6][7]

3 "Richard Keith Downey: Genetics". science.ca. 2007. http://www.science.ca/scientists/sci...le.php?pID=348. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
                                  4 Storgaard, AK (2008). "Stefansson, Baldur Rosmund". The Canadian Encyclopedia. http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0007687. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
                                  5 Barthet, V. "Canola". The Canadian Encyclopedia. http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0001356. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
                                  6 "What is canola?". A problem with weeds – the canola story. Biotechnology Australia (Australian Government). http://www.biotechnologyonline.gov.au/foodag/weeds.html. Retrieved 2007-10-20.
                                  7 Klahorst, Suanne J. (1998). "Dreaming of the Perfect Fat". Food Product Design (Virgo Publishing). Archived from the original on 2007-10-30. http://web.archive.org/web/200710301...64_0398PR.html. Retrieved 2007-10-20.

Comment

Originally posted by DressageReine View Post
                                    In my soy sensitive horse - clinical signs were diarrhea, excessive sweating, and sensitive skin to the point of not wanting to be touched.

Comment

Originally posted by fivehorses View Post
                                      I would like to emphasize the importance ofgood quality hay in the horse's diet.
                                      I have a variety of horses, and a variety of ages, they are fed enough hay that I do not have horses coming into spring 'thin'.
                                      That would be totally unacceptable to me, meaning I did not feed enough hay or grain to supplement the hay.

I would re-visit your feed program before I added oil for weight gain.
                                      I like this as well.
                                      RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

I was always told Canola had a better fatty acid ratio than corn or veggie oil.

Just sayin'
                                        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Working...
                                        X