Sport Horse Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

100_7261

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Severe Tying Up/Laminitis - She's Gone 3/20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Tying Up/Laminitis - She's Gone 3/20

COTH disclaimer: Not my horse and the vet has already been called.

Young (4 yrs) QH mare. Went foxhunting this weekend. Has been out several times this season. Today wasn't an especially long/fast hunt. On the way home (7 hr drive), mare went down three times in the trailer and was trembling/quivering. Owner initially thought she was colicing and gave banamine and got home ASAP. Since getting home, mare has repeatedly gone down and seems to be having some type of msucle spasms/seizures/convulsions when she does so. Owners have given banamine and electrolytes and have a call in to the vet.

I've never seen a horse tie up this badly. Does that sound like what this is, or could it be something else? Mare is not pawing, rolling, or otherwise showing signs of colic. She is too unstable to get a temp or HR.

Any ideas? I'll be sure to update once I hear what the vet says, but in the mean time was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar experience.
    Last edited by Montanas_Girl; Mar. 20, 2011, 02:31 PM.

iirc A shot of RVI helped a lot when my mare used to tie up many years ago. Hope your girl is o-kay.

Comment

Poor horse--what color urine?

mine was severely Selenium defficient when he tied up. It was a miserable experience all round.

RVI is pretty much impossible to find at the moment, unfortunately.

Couldn't be HYPP could it?

Best wishes to your friend and the horse.

Comment

HYPP? The going down and the muscle spasms would make me question HYPP status.

Hope the horse gets better soon!

Comment

How frequently does the horse work between hunts? That sounds like a really terrifying trailer ride. Did she drive 7 hours then hunt then 7 hours home again?

Did the vet get there quickly? Jeekers. What color was/is the urine? How hard are the rump muscles? Could the mare walk by the time they got home?

I hope she's OK. Update soon if you can.......
          Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Hopefully the vet will be coming out to take a blood sample. It could be a severe case of tying up and if it was, banamine was a good call.

I hope the horse is doing better by now and that it was indeed a bad case of tying up and nothing else. If it was, I suggest your friend have the horse's diet analzyed to make sure there are not deficiencies. If it happens again, a muscle biopsy may be in order.

Sending jingles to your friend and her horse for a healthy outcome.
            Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
            http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
            http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
              COTH disclaimer: Not my horse and the vet has already been called.

Young (4 yrs) QH mare.

Any ideas? I'll be sure to update once I hear what the vet says, but in the mean time was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar experience.
              Sounds suspicious for HYPP. Could be tying up but I would see if she is related to Impressive in any way. (Conclusive, Awesome Mister, Intimidator,Mr. Conclusion, Kid Clu) If Impressive is even 10 generations back make sure she is HYPP negative or that side of her pedigree is. AQHA now requires it on the papers so it might be on there.

Comment

Originally posted by atr View Post
                Poor horse--what color urine?

mine was severely Selenium defficient when he tied up. It was a miserable experience all round.

RVI is pretty much impossible to find at the moment, unfortunately.

Couldn't be HYPP could it?

Best wishes to your friend and the horse.
                I was looking for RVI recently and they said they stopped production for awhile. Do you know if they started it again?

Comment

EPSM?
                  or is it possible the horse was just not in great shape and overworked, then made stand still for 7 hours?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctracy View Post
                    Sounds suspicious for HYPP. Could be tying up but I would see if she is related to Impressive in any way. (Conclusive, Awesome Mister, Intimidator,Mr. Conclusion, Kid Clu) If Impressive is even 10 generations back make sure she is HYPP negative or that side of her pedigree is. AQHA now requires it on the papers so it might be on there.
                    Amen!!
                    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey, guys.

Thanks for the thoughts. Between this horse, the severe weather, and a stomach bug that I've picked up, I've had almost no sleep.

HYPP was one of my first thoughts, but I do not believe this mare is positive. Both owners are PhD's - one in equine nutrition and one in equine reproduction - so I would hope/think that base was already covered, but I'll mention it the next time we talk.

The mare normally gets worked 3-4 times per week between hunts. They drove down on Friday night, hunted Saturday and Sunday morning, then drove back Sunday afternoon. Owner is of course feeling guilty because of the long trailer ride (made longer due to a tire blowout halfway home), but I have no idea if that had anything to do with the situation or not.

They were able to get the mare sedated enough to keep her quiet and on her feet overnight, but she is still trembling and has now started to colic on top of everything else. Her urine was originally cola colored but is starting to lighten up. She drank 10 gallons of water between getting home last night and this morning but will not eat and has not passed manure since before she got on the trailer. A vet has been contacted, but the area is currently under a tornado warning, so getting one out or getting her on a trailer will probably be delayed until the severe weather passes.

Given that new information, it does sound like she initially tied up severely and is now colicing due to the stress/pain, I think. I'll keep you guys updated on what the vet says when he is finally able to get out there.

Comment

tying up

If the horse is tying up and her urine is dark she needs IV fluids to save her kidneys. The urine is dark because she is spilling blood. If she is looks like she is colicing it is pain because her kidneys are shutting down. Get her to any vet who can administer IV fluids ASAP.

Comment

• Original Poster

Absolutely the mare needs fluids, and the owner is working on making that happen as soon as possible. However, it would not be safe to try to transport her right now with 60 mph winds and 1/2" hail falling. She has been on the phone with the vet off and on all night and will either get her to the clinic or have someone out there as soon as it is safe to do so. At least she has been drinking, so she is at least not becoming any more dehydrated in the mean time.

Comment

Check with local hospital and see if any docs are horse people....I had one come out and bring bags of IV fluids and get a catheter in and taped/stitched in place when we couldn't haul due to weather and vet being long distance. I was fine with it, vet was fine with it and doc was fine with it so no legal repercussions. Probably saved the horse. LOTS of medical folks are also horse folks....seems to be for their mental health.
                            Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                            www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                            Northern NV

Comment

I think that the dark urine is from muscle breaking down, if it is tying up.
                              There are other metabolic disorders than HYPP, although I would test for that also.
                              You can't always believe the breeding on the papers, especially if you have a horse with similar to HYPP symptoms.

I think they also can test for other metabolic disorders at the U of Davis in CA, ask about that, if she makes it.
                              Some require a muscle biopsy.

Looks like she crashed badly and it will be touch and go.
                              A friend lost one TB race mare that truly tied up, very badly and they didn't find her until a few hours later, when too much damage was done.

Hope all goes ok for this mare.

Comment

• Original Poster

The last word I had was that the vet was on the way. The mare was still extremely depressed, lethargic, and uncomfortable. She was still not eating, hadn't passed anything, and was no longer drinking well. I was able to find out that she is not Impressive bred, so HYPP is extremely unlikely.

Hopefully I will hear soon how the vet visit went. Please send some jingles to middle TN for this poor sweet little mare. We are very worried about her.

Comment

• Original Poster

So, the vet was out early this afternoon and did a physical exam and pulled blood. Everything is consistent with an exceptionally bad case of tying up. The colic symptoms seem to most likely be a reaction to the pain and stress of this whole ordeal.

TPR were normal. Her muscle enzymes were so high they were literally off the charts - unreadable by the assay this clinic uses. Hematocrit is low but not scary yet (43). Electrolytes are all extremely low. White cell count is also low, for unknow reasons.

Mare is to stay on Banamine and oral electrolytes through the night. If she does not seem to improve, pass any manure, or start eating by tomorrow, then the vet wants her at the clinic for IV fluid and electrolyte treatment. The big worries are a serious colic developing secondary to the tying up/dehydration and also kidney damage from the dehydration. Things do not look great for poor little Lila right now.

Comment

Checking selenium levels would be a good idea... Poor girl...
                                    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                    ---
                                    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Poor girl. I am all too familiar with a tying up horse and it's not fun to experience. My mare used to tie up recurrently until I discovered info about EPSM on the internet and started treating her as an EPSM case. She'll have to be carefully managed for the rest of her life.
                                      Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

Comment

Originally posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
                                        Absolutely the mare needs fluids, and the owner is working on making that happen as soon as possible. However, it would not be safe to try to transport her right now with 60 mph winds and 1/2" hail falling. She has been on the phone with the vet off and on all night and will either get her to the clinic or have someone out there as soon as it is safe to do so. At least she has been drinking, so she is at least not becoming any more dehydrated in the mean time.
                                        In that situation a hefty dose of ace can sometimes help.
                                        Sounds awful, poor thing. My TB tied up from dehydration after a very difficult hunt one time and he had pain for probably 6-8 weeks. The RVI and robin really helped him, once he was out of the woods. Careful with the NSAIDs like banaMine and bute, I believe they can stress already stressed kidneys.
                                        I hope she pulls through, jingles from AZ!
                                        Last edited by Doctracy; Feb. 28, 2011, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X