• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Apple Cider Vinegar? Turmeric?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Cider Vinegar? Turmeric?

Does anyone feed either or both of these to their horses? If so, do you find it has helped, and how much do you feed?

Are there any negative side affects to either of these supplements?
    http://www.hammerdownfarm.com

Thereis virtually nothing in ACV that is beneficial or worth giving a horse.

Turmeric has some very modest anti-inflammatory properties, and also can "thin" the blood. Safety profile sort of unknown; I would personally treat it like a drug with potential side effects that are not very well laid out, as is the case with many herbals.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

ACV; I have tried Bragg Apple Cidar for self and my horses. As I studied their benefits, old timers would use it for all sorts of help to cleanse and heal. Insect bites, a cough, PH balance (soaking foot), kills bacteria, fungus, viruses and more. I have used in their feed, very little, approx. 2 tbs and for a short term.

Old timer testimonial
      "my father was a splendid farmer and many times, I would watch him add ACV to feed and water of ailing animals (cattle, horses, sheep, dogs, cats, birds etc) and it acted like magic. ACV seemed ot posses a miracle ingredient that helped restore health to the animals" Nearest vet was 32 miles by horse and buggy

There is a ton of testimonials about benefits for humans, I personnal have tried for colds, sore thoats with good results.

http://www.bragg.com/
      Last edited by HealingHeart; Feb. 27, 2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
        Thereis virtually nothing in ACV that is beneficial or worth giving a horse.
        We used to put it in the water for the stalled horses in the summer when I was a WS because they seemed to like the taste of it. (They thought maybe it also helped discourage insects, but mostly - taste. Horses did seem to like it - they'd give you a dirty look if you filled the bucket but forgot the ACV. )

I imagine it was hardly an amount that could be considered therapeutic at all, even if there are any benefits - we used the highly scientific measurement of a "glug" per bucket.

My mom (diagnosed with cancer last summer) asked her oncologist about turmeric due to the whole anti-inflammatory thing, and basically the doctor said "if you want to eat a bit on your eggs in the morning or something like that, it probably won't help but it probably won't hurt either. No high dose pills or anything like that, though."

So my mom has her extra-yellow scrambled eggs and feels better psychologically, at least.

(The oncologist did actually mention a study where they looked at turmeric as a 'drug' treatment - I don't know if it was for this specific type of cancer or not - and they stopped the study because to get enough turmeric to actually start getting any kind of statistically significant results across the board, people were on doses so high it was apparently making their skin start to turn yellow? So someone motivated could look and see if they can find that particular study, I suppose.)

(The doctor in question is very much a researcher at heart, so she does read and consider 'non-traditional' methods so long as there's proper methodology involved in the testing, because who knows where the next great idea is going to come from? So I imagine that if there really was some value to therapeutic doses of the stuff, she'd be all for it.)

Comment

Ever-interested in 'magic bullets' for my 30yr gelding and his arthritis, I started both my horses on 1tb daily of turmeric last year after a good friend was talking about how taking turmeric herself was making her aching knees feel so much better.

I put both my horses on it from Feb-May and noticed no difference in their way of going or comfort.

What I did notice in hindsight however is that both my IR ponies breezed through a very long, wet, cool and lush spring without ever having warm feet from gorging on spring grass. I check feet daily, with muzzles in hand if needed, and normally there are about 5 or 6 instances throughout the season where I feel the need to restrict their grazing due to the conditions, any warmth to the feet a dead giveaway. But last year, they were aces despite the grass growing more even lustily than usual.

I started my boys back on turmeric last week in fact in anticipation of the spring. I have no proof the turmeric did squat, but I'm hedging my bets.

Turmeric should be taken seriously though, and as DW said, treated as a drug with unknown side effects. As a blood thinner it can cause a complication in some areas I expect. I'll be taking my horses off of it and talking to my vet about it when I schedule for spring shots.

I just started taking ACV myself actually, the bragg kind. 2tb w/ 1tb honey in a glass of warm water daily. I pee a ton now, I feel less bloated and puffy, I have a wee bit more energy, but most noticeably I have zero cravings for sugar or carbs of any kind. This is exciting for me as I'd like to change my eating habits (I discovered how to bake bread and I can't stop craving it now! ) I happen to really like the taste too, but I'm a big fan on vinegar and brines and pickles, etc. Foolishly, because it smells so nice, I drank a teaspoon of it straight... don't do that, I burned my throat.

Also from what I've read, long term ACV use has been thought to erode tooth enamel, cause uclers, and perhaps calcium deficiency. Again, not to be taken lightly.
          Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

An article in this week's Time magazine tosses all the herbals off the shelf, sorry to say, leaving only Dragon..something...behind. It specifically noted Turmeric is a good food spice, not something to be used as medicine.

I don't have it here with me to offer better detail, but I do recall the turmeric reference, as it had come up here before.

Comment

One of my boarders had her horse on ACV (organic) for about a year (I think 1/4 cup -ish) and took her off this past fall. I noticed no difference with the horse before or after.
              https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
              Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
              www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                An article in this week's Time magazine tosses all the herbals off the shelf, sorry to say, leaving only Dragon..something...behind. It specifically noted Turmeric is a good food spice, not something to be used as medicine.

I don't have it here with me to offer better detail, but I do recall the turmeric reference, as it had come up here before.
                ooh, I'd love to read it if you find it please.

found these opinions with a positive slant on time magazine, but they're old:
                http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...0028-2,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...015978,00.html

but can't find the recent story you mention, perhaps they don't publish everything online?

ooh, found this though, thank goodness now to go get healthy...
                http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/2...r-your-health/
                Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Working...
                X