• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Looking at a Horse with digestive issues?????? Loose poop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a Horse with digestive issues?????? Loose poop

Has anyone found a cure for a horse with loose manure/diareha? I looked at a horse the other day and really liked him but he gets seasonal diareha every summer. He was actually having issues while I was looking at him.

I had a boarder's horse at my farm with the same issue and we never could totally stop it. We spoke to 3 different vets and a nutritionalist over the course of 6 years. We tried various types of grain, several types of pro-biotics, sand clear, metamucil and pepto....horse loved the mint pepto, but it really didn't help.

I'm afraid to pursue looking at this horse because of this.....I know what it's like to own a horse like this. My boarder bought her horse as a weanling and at 8 years old still has problems. This horse is healthy in every other way.

The horse that is for sale has a similar story.....owners have had this guy from birth and he is now 8. He is on a regular worming schedule are well fed and eats a grass timothy mix hay.

Any ideas Cothers??????? Should I pursue looking at this horse? He seems perfect in every other way, but I so don't want to have to baby wipe (or worse) a horse's butt for his entire life! BY THE WAY, he's a Pinto and has a totally white butt, hind legs and tail!
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

could be anything have alook at his mouth and see if its salmon pink and that the corner of eyes are pink and not yellow
    also have a look under his tail as scouring is a problem and can be a wrom issue just becuase people worm doesnt mean to say hes not resisting it as if daily wormer was used then the horses get immmune to them hence why its better to be on a worming programme to cycle of the worms to seasons of the year
    best bet would be a ppe with a pooh count done and blood test

Comment

Seasonal suggests his issue is perturbed by his environment. One of the 1st things that comes to mind is an allergy. As someone who suffers from allergies...yes when they kick in....I have those issues too.

Is his diet changed during summer (like is and going out on pasture)?

Have they tried probiotics and/or ulcer therapy such as U-guard?

Some folks swear by french green clay as a supplement or detox for such horses and I suggest you read rideto win's comments on her ABN thread as her result was immediate.

http://forums.arabianbreeders.net/to...s-eating-dirt/

Loose stool is a common sympton of so many problems....you are going going to have to start investigating potential triggers one by one.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I think rather then get into a serious search issue as to "what" is causing it, I will pass the info onto the current owners and keep looking for another horse. I just can't see myself dealing with this long term and there is no guarantee that I will find an answer.

Comment

I posted a long thread on this a few months ago- do a search for "BioSponge for Horses with Recurrent Diarrhea".

In addition to discussing the BioSponge (from Platinum Performance) there is quite a bit of good discussion on other things to try.
          ~Living the life I imagined~

Comment

My older horse had the same problem - his happened when he got any type of alfalfa. I put him on a daily probiotic and he hasn't had any problems at all. His hay does have some alfalfa in it, just can't be sure how much with each bale. He has been on this for 3 years now and is doing great! You can buy it at Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply. It isn't expensive.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by hey101 View Post
              I posted a long thread on this a few months ago- do a search for "BioSponge for Horses with Recurrent Diarrhea".

In addition to discussing the BioSponge (from Platinum Performance) there is quite a bit of good discussion on other things to try.
              Thanks hey101. I looked this thread up and after reading everyone's comments, it doesn't really sound like anyone has a permanent solution for this problem. A lot of good suggestions, but even those that worked, only worked temporarily/sporadically. I think I will pass on this horse. He's really nice but reading all those comments brought the past back full force. I forgot a lot of what it was like dealing with a boarder's horse with this issue. (and I never fed alfalfa hay....one of the causes mentioned on that thread). It also use to make me feel as if my barn management was lacking because I couldn't stop the problem. Thanks again, RiverDance

Comment

My horse has had loosish poop ever since I got him. He's on 24/7 turnout with good pasture most of the year. I've tried a lot of things to no avail. Recently he's been in training at a place with only a dry lot with hay for turnout....no loose manure. I'm thinking that for him it's the fresh grass at my place

Comment

I'm going through runny bottom at present again. Actually happens every winter, sigh. Biosponge and other probiotics never worked. The only thing that works for him is Jeffers Opti-Zyme for livestock.
                  I had him on it for most of winter, since the drippy bottom started and it cleared him up. I learned about it on here from another posted.
                  I ran out and stopped a few days ago and .... it's back, had to wipe his bottom again this morning.
                  Needless to resay just re-ordered Opti-Zyme, I think I'll keep him on it forever.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lieslot View Post
                    I'm going through runny bottom at present again. Actually happens every winter, sigh. Biosponge and other probiotics never worked. The only thing that works for him is Jeffers Opti-Zyme for livestock.
                    I had him on it for most of winter, since the drippy bottom started and it cleared him up. I learned about it on here from another posted.
                    I ran out and stopped a few days ago and .... it's back, had to wipe his bottom again this morning.
                    Needless to resay just re-ordered Opti-Zyme, I think I'll keep him on it forever.
                    Lieslot, Knowing what you know now, would you ever buy another horse with this problem?

Comment

Well, difficult question, if this were my guy that's up for sale, who is perfect in all other ways, totally bombproof, totally trust this guy etc, yes I'd buy him again . If it were my other pickle that's for sale and I'm the prospective buyer, no, I'd pass, it would be one thing too much on top of his anxiety, training issues, special shoeing needs etc....

My horse with the runny bottom is just so special attitude-wise, he will never ever let you down and is a joy to ride, to own. He's tall, sturdy, bigboned, weight carrier, 200% trustworthy with my husband, 100% in the heaviest of traffic, ex-foxhunter, basic dressage, perfect trailhorse, great allrounder. This is a horse that fitted our needs perfectly and one you don't find every day, so yes, the runny bottom wouldn't put me off. In any other horse, no, I would not want the extra hazzle and uncertainty what it may lead to.

If the sellers are open for it and the horse is beyond perfect for you in any other way, I'd want to know exactly what supplements & treatments they have tried so far.
                      I seem to think probiotics are overrated and from my experience rather useless. And see if they'd be willing to put the horse on a 2 weeks trial of digestive enzymes and see what that does.

Also does the horse have a drippy bottom, so you've got to have the baby wipes handy twice a day and perhaps a warm water bucket spunge once a week. I'd be alright about it (gotten quite used to it here ).
                      However if the horse really has the squirts and its butt looks like a messy cowbutt and the poos are cowpatties without ball formation no, then I'd pass in all cases.
                      But if we are just talking about some liquid running out when farting (sorry about the precise language), or preceding every poo, but the poos have formation, then I'd be more open about it.
                      Last edited by Lieslot; Feb. 20, 2011, 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling,grammar, etc... the usual ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Lieslot View Post
                        Hi Lieslot- I'm curious about how you treated with the Biosponge. Did you just do the initial 2-week, 8oz/day treatment course and then stopped treatment completley? If I had done that it wouldn't have worked for my horse either, I have found that she MUST be on a daily maintenance dose.

I have had her on a daily maintenance dose of 2-3 oz since last summer. I have tried to back her down from this or get her off it completely, and the loose poop starts again within a few days or a week or so. After I did the initial 2-week treatment, I dropped her way back to 1oz a day, her poop started to get loose again, and I experimented a bit until I settled on her current 2-3oz. I also consulted with Platinum Performance about all this, as I was concerned about impaction colic if she was on it daily, but they said that the levels I had her on were completely fine, and anything below 4oz a day should be safe and what they would consider "daily maintenance". They were the ones that suggested that I do some experimentation as to what her daily maintenance dose would need to be.

I have no idea what is going on in the poor girl's system, but for absolutely everything I've tried over the past 5 years from hay to feed to probiotics to lifestyle, this has been the ONLY thing that has worked. Some things would work for awhile but the runs always came back. I agree with you that probiotics are a waste of money. So, she'll probably stay on Biosponge forever. I may try to get her off it now and then to see if anything has changed, but if not, that's ok- I have no problem keeping her on it.

I'm only mentioning all this because the BioSponge is pretty cheap. I don't know how much the Optizyme is, but since it sounds like you need to keep him on a daily dose of that, you might want to give the maintenance dose of BioSponge a try. And, thank you, I am very happy to have a future alternative (Optizyme) to try should the BioSponge stop working for my horse.
                        ~Living the life I imagined~

Comment

Good responses: also check water

Even though every other horse at the boarding barn was fine, my boy and his paddock mate developed mild loose stools. Runny enough to pay attention and search for causes, not runny enough to be an imminent danger.

Other boarder saw her horse trying to drink water out of a rain puddle. She drained the stock tank in paddock, refilled, end of runs for both horses. One more idea to add to the pot.

Comment

It's relatively cheap, at present he's on 2oz a day, split between am & pm.
                            A 3lbs bag costs $13. I'll see if 1oz a day will do too. Most likely as soon as the grass returns, he'll be fine again, it seems to be only a winter thing, but if he needs the dig. enzymes for longer, then I'll keep him on it, I've not read that it's any harm in keeping them on it longterm or lifelong.
                            http://www.jeffersequine.com/opti-zy.../EQU/cp/CA-P4/

As for the biosponge, I did 3 days of the giant tubes, and then followed by two of the 4lb containers, and it made no difference so I stopped. And I tried again at a later date, again no improvement

Jane very good point. In the past I thought it was because he was getting warm water from the house in winter (watersoftening system), when I stopped that I actually saw an improvement that year. This year I've got waterbucket heaters, so no more treated water, but it didn't help.

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but it's hard to find info so I'm starting here. Hopefully the OP sees it and will comment?

My horse has this similar problem. We've tried ulcer treatments, probiotics, Platinum Plus Bio Sponge, and treating for encysted strongyles. He always has moister than average poop, but they're well-formed and if you didn't look at his butt you'd never know he has a problem. I'll occasionally have to hose off his hocks when he poops on himself during other seasons, but it's very reasonable and a relatively small amount and/or frequency. The past 3 winters he has had the same generally moist poops that are sometimes followed by a half cup to a cup's worth of intestinal liquid. And I'm totally guessing here- it could be less, just like it always looks like there is more blood than there really is when someone gets a wound. Definitely not diarrhea. Just pure liquid. And it's not even every poop, which is also a little perplexing. It's just like his large colon is not doing a good job of reabsorbing while the bolus is sitting in the canal.

Last March we treated for encysted strongyles and about 2 weeks later he had noticeably better bathroom habits. But it would make sense that, since it's a winter thing, the timing might have just been when it was ready to resolve anyway as winter was getting ready to recede. About 3 weeks ago he started with the poop water again. There was still grass in his pasture (not a ton up here in WNY, but enough they didn't even need supplemental hay yet during turnout) and nothing else about his diet or environment has changed. He gets hay at night year round, and it's still the same cutting as the months prior to this. My vet wasn't opposed to doing another treatment for encysted strongyles, just in case, though she has a low suspicion of it now that there is more data available, since I've been paying neurotic attention to it.

Comment

^^^ I feel your pain. I have been struggling with the same "juicy" bottom for years now. It comes and goes. I have tried almost everything, I'm on forco right now~day 3 with out much change yet. I want to try the bio sponge still, and I just read about the French green clay thanks to this thread. My vet has told me that as long as he is eating and drinking normally and he is not loosing weight, that there is not much more we can do unless I want to invest in some exploratory surgery... Not likely.... So, I guess I'll keep my ears and eyes open to try new things, one at a time so I can be kinda sure which experiment works the best!

Comment

Just adopted a 4 year old OTTB 3 months ago. Previous owners/breeder claim diarrhea was "normal" for this horse. Uhh, NO! I tried everything under the sun and finally had my vet contact Cornell and ran every test known to man on his manure/blood. Well, he just came back with some extremely RARE bacterial infection. I'm waiting for my vet to email me the name of it but supposedly only foals get it but Cornell said they're starting to see "older" horses have it. Waiting to hear back from the specialist as to a treatment plan. I'm just glad I persued the cause of it.
                                  Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
                                  http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Comment

Hmmmm, did he have any other symptoms? I live near Davis and might be interested in having them run the same tests...

Comment

I had one of these. We ran through all the usual suspects--wormed her well with a powerpak and Quest Plus (at different times) to address any worm load, treated for ulcers with omeprazole, treated for hind gut ulcers with Succeed and Rite-Trac, went through an entire 4 lb container of Bio-sponge. Tried a few different pro and pre biotics. She even got some antibiotics for something else through all this with no change. Bloodwork was normal.

What finally made a difference (and nearly overnight) was taking her off beet pulp.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseKrazy View Post
                                        Hmmmm, did he have any other symptoms? I live near Davis and might be interested in having them run the same tests...
                                        My guy had NO other symptoms other than being a picky eater. He was scoped for ulcers (negative!) and treated for hind gut ulcers with sucralfate. I tried succeed, no grain thinking possible allergy, biosponge, and a million other products. I will find out what he has.
                                        Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
                                        http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Comment

Working...
                                        X