• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Speak to me about alfalfa cubes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speak to me about alfalfa cubes

On a recent post, several responders suggested using alfalfa cubes. Are there any warnings/ caveats/ things needed to know about using alfalfa cubes? I know it's hard to believe but I've never used them- ever. If I wanted to feed alfalfa in the past, I just got a bale! and then I really didn't feel the need to use it that often . I'm guessing, like any other feed, you don't just dump a large quantity in their bucket and leave it at that. Feeds are to be changed over time. How do they adjunct to grain? Have any of you ever actually hydrated one down in a bucket of water?? They get BIG. I just don't want to cause more problems by tryng to solve a problem.
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

My older horse gets alfalfa cubes every day as a supplement to keep weight on. We just put them in a bucket and fill the bucket with water and let it sit for a few minutes. I dump the sloppy stuff in his feed bucket and he cleans it up. I haven't encountered any problems with it. I would be concerned with choke if they weren't hydrated.

Comment

Have a processing plant nearby so buy from them on occasion. Good quality hay is used and the hay is chopped, mixed with very small amt of some kind of binder (may be molasses...smells like it) and then put through extrusion machinery where it is compressed, heats up a little and comes out in long square strands that break into cubes. Seem to be drier than hay (but don't know for sure). Some crumble pretty easily and others are hard. Nutrition wise they are supposed to be pound for pound more food value...probably due to compression and drier situation....so I feed about 10-12 pounds of cubes as opposed to about 15 lbs of hay per feeding. They can be dusty and I will often sprinkle them with some water in a big flat pan or in the wheelbarrow and then give them to the horses after 15-20 minutes of soaking time...cuts dust and seems to make potential for choking less.
      Colored Cowhorse Ranch
      www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
      Northern NV

Comment

I used to feed cubes, but got tired of soaking and the mess, so I use pellets now.
        "Humans will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple,
        or more direct than does Nature." ~Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

We use them as treats, but take care to watch the size as it is possible to cause a choke. I had a boarder do that to her horse.
          Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
          http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

I use them as a supplement, soaking in warm water in the winter with a timothy balancer cube. Just part of the math.

Comment

I use 'em all the time as a supplement to feed and hay, not only for weight gain but also because they settle upset, acidic horse tummies.

I soak them in "weather appropriate" water (hot in winter, cold in summer) for about half an hour and feed the resulting slime as a separate meal.
              "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                I use 'em all the time as a supplement to feed and hay, not only for weight gain but also because they settle upset, acidic horse tummies.

I soak them in "weather appropriate" water (hot in winter, cold in summer) for about half an hour and feed the resulting slime as a separate meal.
                This is what I do, and I apologize for not answering your original questions.

I'm not a nutrition expert so won't speak of the nutrition "math". The concern with alfalfa as a main forage is the Ca/P ratio and I'm sure someone will comment with a much better grasp on the subject than I have.

Comment

I've used them when I couldn't get alfalfa hay. I prefer alfalfa hay over anything as long as I can get it.

Then I switched to alfalfa pellets because soaking the cubes can be a pain, and some of the horses didn't like the soaked cubes.

Once I also got a bad batch of cubes that smelled weird, and no one would eat them.

I would like the cubes a lot better if someone would invent some sort of alfalfa cube shredder that you could place over a bucket, place a few cubes in a hopper, crank a handle, and break the cubes up so then could be fed dry.

Or maybe I just did invent it? Is there a worthwhile market for a "cube crusher"?

Comment

Originally posted by alterhorse View Post
                    I would like the cubes a lot better if someone would invent some sort of alfalfa cube shredder that you could place over a bucket, place a few cubes in a hopper, crank a handle, and break the cubes up so then could be fed dry.

Or maybe I just did invent it? Is there a worthwhile market for a "cube crusher"?

Sounds like a good idea to me....giant version of those little nut chopper things that screw onto the top of a jar, drop the nuts in, crank the handle and chopped nuts for brownies etc. Just would need bigger/stronger/longer teeth in it and a handle strong/long enough to provide leverage and easily crank around. LIKE IT!!
                    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                    Northern NV

Comment

Originally posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
                      Sounds like a good idea to me....giant version of those little nut chopper things that screw onto the top of a jar, drop the nuts in, crank the handle and chopped nuts for brownies etc. Just would need bigger/stronger/longer teeth in it and a handle strong/long enough to provide leverage and easily crank around. LIKE IT!!
                      Just don't put them in the blender. DOESN'T work out so well...

I feed cubes instead of any bagged grain, as my mare is sensitive to soy, and the little ones are fatties. I soak them for about 15 minutes in the summer, a couple hours or overnight in winter. I just prepare the next meal when they are finished eating, or when I go out to toss hay. I love them, as it's very easy to hide meds, even significant amount of banamine liquid.

Comment

• Original Poster

So - just so I don't screw up- I MUST soak them to feed them. That seemed logical to me, re choke and how much the one swelled when I put it down in water. Mn, I had a vision of THAT in a horse's gut - colic!! But War Admiral, you're right on the money of why I want to try using them - I have a big young Oldie who's tummy is very sensitive and I wanted to give him some to help w/ the acid. As a matter of fact, I really wanted to give some to his sisters too, as they tend to be a little " tummy delicate'. We breed, and the Ca/P ratio is not an issue for me. Now, tha generates another question I've been wondering, if anyone's heard the answer; are ulcers familial? All 3 of this mare's foals have had at least 1 ulcer attack. ( and they are treated like kings!) No other horses on the property, just this mare line. I wasalso told by someone on the Forum that alfalfa cubes would help " slow down" a blty eater. So I guess in that situation you feed them not soaked??? Dry cubes would makeme nervous I think.
                        " It's about the horse, and that's it."
                        George Morris

Comment

Running Fox-
                          I had an ancient pony that we took in. My vet said she was well beyond old enough to "drink". She hardly had any teeth, my vet touched one when she was doing her physical exam when the old pony first came in and it fell out. We used the alfalfa pellets instead of the cubes and they soaked down alot quicker. She had the tendency to choke if we didn't make her soup. She was also on senior which soaked down and made a mash quite well.
                          I have mixed emotions on the dry cubes. If you have a horse that chews well and doesnt inhale them I would think they would be ok. But on the other hand if you have one that is a pig and loves to inhale them then I would be worried. I honestly prefer the bales to them. Mine love the leaves that fall off the stems when I throw the flake down. It's their favorite part!

On the ulcer side, I don't believe they are genetic per say but I know some breeds are more prone to them over others (ie. TB's) Alfalfa is supposed to help buffer the pH in the horses stomach. I have my old horse on a supplement that contains Bicarb and he has been doing well. I think I ordered it from SmartPak. He had a bad bout of sore feet last year and with the stress combined with the bute his stomach couldn't handle it. A million dollars worth of gastrogard later (or so it seemed)..... Horses constantly produce gastric acid in their stomach, they aren't like others that only produce it when they are eating. So that's one of the drawbacks for them. They are designed to eat 24 hours a day so that is the reason for the constant secretion. I hope you find your answer soon It's so hard trying to figure out what's right and wrong and what works and doesn't work for each horse!
                          I think alot of it is trial and error and each horse is different. What does your vet think?

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post

This is how I use them too. My horse gets his second meal of the day pretty early in the afternoon, about 3pm usually, so I give them as another feeding later in the evening after he gets worked. I sort of use them as a "treat" on the days that I work him, I soak them while I have him out of his stall, so sometimes up to 2 hours, with about as much water as cubes (maybe just a little bit more water than cubes). I too use the weather appropriate water temp, warm right now because it's so cold here.

I wouldn't feed them dry. I used to feed my old horse dry cubes, and while he never had a problem, I worry about the choking risk. I think in the small quantities that they are usually fed (I usually feed about 2# dry), they're unlikely to change the Ca/Ph ratio significantly. But they're great for adding some calcium to the diet to buffer stomach acidity, and getting horses to drink more water during the winter months.

Comment

We feed cubes with beep and 12% sweet feed. We wet them down but I don't think it would be an issue for the pony. I happen to really like the cubes because generally they are a better quality alfalfa than I can get in bales here in KY and no risk of blister beetles.
                              Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                              Incredible Invisible

Comment

Alfalfa cubes saved my old QH's life! He was way down on weight and had problems chewing. When we turned him out, he would slowly trot out into the pasture just so he could see the other horses, then just drop his head and eat. We didn't think he would make it thru the winter. We started feeding the alfalfa cubes, soaked with LOTS of water, threw in some beat pulp and he loved it. We soaked it all day (or night) so it totally turned to mush for the almost toothless guy. That was 3 years ago. Today he is fat and happy and races - bucking & farting - out of his pasture to see the other horses. Can not believe the change in him. An added benefit is that I know he is getting alot of extra water during the winter when many horses don't drink enough. We have also started soaking just a few cubes before we go riding and give them to our trail horses while we are tacking up. Again - they get some extra water before hitting a dry trail where there is nothing for them on a hot day. As others have said - don't feed them dry. A vet tech friend said they see many horses choke/colic on the dry cubes.

Comment

Working...
                                X