• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Contribute (fish oil) by KPP, horses won't touch feed, back to flax oil :(.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contribute (fish oil) by KPP, horses won't touch feed, back to flax oil :(.

http://www.kppusa.com/contribute_ingred.htm
    I was so excited when I found this one, high O3 per 1 oz.
    But yeah of course, they pulled their nose up .

I guess back to flax oil .

Does anyone else feed either a combo of flax & fish oil or straight fish oil, if so which one and is the horse readily eating it?
    I'm tempted to try Welactin or Wellpride, but if they yet again don't touch it, then I've got another wasted bottle.

Any one tried Seabuckthorn? Was that readily eaten by your horse?
    Last edited by Lieslot; Jan. 31, 2011, 07:05 AM.

Why would you rather have them on fish oil than on flax? Aside from cost, perhaps?

If they eat the flax and don't eat the fish oil, then the cost of the fish oil is irrelevant.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

• Original Poster

I figured I needed to feed less fish oil (only 1 oz) a day for higher amount of O3 vs cup(s) of flax.

I'm trying to figure out the mg's of O3 in 1oz of flax oil vs 1oz of fish oil. Maybe my theory was wrong to begin with .

They used to happily eat hemp, which is 3:1, but I was hoping to improve on that.
      Pure flax oil is expensive too and difficult to find by the gallon.

Comment

One of my vets told me that research has shown that horses are not very efficient at converting the short chain omegas in flax seed to the more desirable long chain omegas in fish oil. So, he says to just feed fish oil (the best is wild caught north atlantic salmon oil. Or so I've been told by a human nutritionist).
        "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

I feed my horses three quarter cup of ground daily. My feed company automatically balances the omega 3 and omega six in the flax I buy. I actually don`t like omega six and I believe it can increase inflammation where as omega three reduces it.

Comment

I feed KER's 'EO-3', fish oil for horses.

http://www.kerx.com/products/EO3/info.html

It's a lot less expensive than other fish oil products for horses, which are solid or pelleted. This one is liquid and you pour it right onto the feed. It doesn't smell fishy it's has some kind of fruity flavor added. No problems with eating it. Besides the expense the idea of converting fish oil to a pellet does not appeal to me, I would think it would undergo undesirable changes to the composition.

Does the Contribute have a fishy smell, or why do you think they didn't like it?

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't know why they are not eating it, totally surprised me. To me it doesn't smell fishy but caramel-like. I will try feeding 1/2oz & see if that helps. They are usually not picky at all. .

I just looked up KER's O3. Interesting, might be worth a try, it says 'highly palatable'.

Stacie, interesting remark you make, I tried to find something back in that regard, and ran into this : p115 on top left.
              http://books.google.com/books?id=qTt...0horse&f=false

Seems flax increases plasma concentration of EPA, but not of DHA. I don't quite know (or understand is probably more like it ) whether this is due to flax and short chain acids or whether long chain acids in fish oil would also increase DHA plasma concentration.

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay, got answer to my own question, .
                Article about humans, but considering the above link mentioned similar in horses, I guess it's valid for both.

Flax's ALA will convert to EPA, but higher amounts of flax's O3s needed vs fish oil's O3s to do so.
                And Flax's ALA will not convert do DHA, fish oil being EPA & DHA will increase DHA bloodlevels.
                http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/n...fish-oil-pills

So stupid horses of mine, just eat the damn fish oil will ya
                This morning I tried 1/2oz of Contribute and they ate it with not so much gusto. And no bucket licking, plus some leftovers . Maybe they'll get used to the taste over time.
                Admittedly I smelled the feed once mixed and there was some fish odor to it, even at the smaller dose of 1/2oz.

I wonder if Ker, has a tiny trial size or so, that way I wouldn't be stuck with another gallon of something they may not be happy about.

Comment

I use SmartOmega 3. It has both flax and fish oil and comes in granules. My picky mare eats it right up, and it's cheap too.

Caitlin
                  Caitlin
                  *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Comment

Caitlin, do you have a website for purchasing that smart omega 3?
                    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Smartpak has Smartshine Ultra. Contains fish oil and flax in a flavored base.

Comment

SmartOmega3. My guys love it. They would eat it as a treat if I let them.

It's at smartpakequine.com

Comment

research has shown that horses are not very efficient at converting the short chain omegas in flax seed to the more desirable long chain omegas in fish oil.
                          Maybe there's a good biological reason for this, and we shouldn't try to force omnivore standards (and food products) onto herbivores.
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

You've got a point DW, fish oil is *not* natural to a horse, and that has passed my mind too.

On the other hand I don't want RAO horsey on prednisolone, longterm it's not a good idea and those meds aren't natural to a horse either, hence I figured at least there is some research behind O3, admittedly not cast in stone.
                            And the other horsey has arthritis issue of all kinds, so every little bit helps.

This just got me wondering. We often talk about Dr Green, aka turn out on nice grass and lame horsey goes sound f.ex. Fresh grass contains O3's too, I just wonder how much of an anti-inflammatory effect do the grass O3's have on the horse. I take it the O3's in grass are also ALA, in which case they wouldn't convert to DHA either one would have thought. And how much of the O3's is lost in hay and how to replace those.
                            And do we (human & horse) need DHA, to convert the omega's to PG1 & PG3, coz if I understood it correctly that's where the anti-inflammotary benefit may be found. (edited to add, found the explanation of O3s to PG's here http://hopes.stanford.edu/n3615/drug...on/omega-3-fat)
                            If EPA (after been converted from ALA) does so too, it may not be necessary, hence I guess flax at higher doses & grass would do okay too then (well that's in my simple non-educated world)

AHHH SmartOmega3 from SmartPak, why didn't I think of that, DUH. I have seen it before, just didn't sink in I guess. I bet they'll eat that.
                            Last edited by Lieslot; Jan. 31, 2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Uhhh, could this be a typo on SmartPak's website? If not, SmartOmega 3 seems a bit of a joke however.

Per serving :
                              EPA 21mg
                              DHA 14mg
                              http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...151#fulldetail

vs Wellpride f.ex.
                              EPA 4,500mg
                              DHA 3,000mg
                              http://www.wellpride.com/label.php

Comment

Okay so are you going to force me to post my link to the The Horse article in which the author describes how Icelandic horses happily munch herring out of large tubs? (I've posted it before and people express extravagant disgust).

Horses can eat meat and fish (in the sense that they can derive good nutrition from meat), and some obviously do, and some do so with a Nero Wolfe-ian gusto.

But, if your horse(s) won't eat the fish oil, it really doesn't matter how good it is for them.
                                "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                  Maybe there's a good biological reason for this, and we shouldn't try to force omnivore standards (and food products) onto herbivores.
                                  Thank god someone said this. And as a by note, the thought of feeding fish oil to a herbivore makes me gag!
                                  "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                  ---
                                  The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Posting Trot
                                    But, if your horse(s) won't eat the fish oil, it really doesn't matter how good it is for them.
                                    I know .... -sigh-.

Comment

I just wonder how much of an anti-inflammatory effect do the grass O3's have on the horse. I take it the O3's in grass are also ALA, in which case they wouldn't convert to DHA either one would have thought. And how much of the O3's is lost in hay and how to replace those.
                                      And do we (human & horse) need DHA, to convert the omega's to PG1 & PG3, coz if I understood it correctly that's where the anti-inflammotary benefit may be found.
                                      I think the key words here are "MAY BE FOUND". It is not (IMO) likely to be quite as easy as it seems in terms of using these products (naturally-occurring or otherwise) to "prevent" or "treat" inflammation, like they are a pharmaceutical or something. "Just pop a few fish oil tabs and that hot leg will just go down!", etc. Just like the term "immune system booster", I'm just not convinced the anti-inflammatory properties of Omega-3 fatty acids are a simple, binary "on/off" thing. Inflammation is VITAL to many normal bodily functions. There is no healing without it, and to some degree it exists in a very delicate homeostasis in probably every conceivable organ system. We mess with it at our great peril. In fact, the parallel to corticosteroids is very useful, because they DO shut down inflammation far and wide, often with good effect but also with potentially devastating side effects.

Not that I think Omega-3s are the potent anti-inflammatories in vivo that they are touted to be, and I certainly do NOT think they are harmful, although I don't know if there are any good data about excessive dosing, but my general caution when reading these threads is that people not consider them any sort of miracle. No doubt they are important, but I still wonder if mega-dosing is really all that useful.

So if my horse refused to eat fish oil (I wouldn't be inclined to offer it to them anyhow) I wouldn't feel too badly.
                                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

I gave Wellpride to my VERY picking eater after calling and speaking with a company rep who offered me a money back guarantee he would eat it. It smells vaguely like baby aspirin (albeit fishy baby aspirin), my horse LOVED it. LOVED. IT. (he does also love oranges so maybe there is something to that.) Anyways, I put him on it with the hopes of seeing better hoof growth. After three months I saw no change whatsoever so I discontinued feeding it to him. (much to his dismay I suspect )

Comment

Working...
                                        X