Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Spinoff:Your EPM Experiences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff:Your EPM Experiences

I have a 8yo ISH mare that I took to the vet a few weeks ago to have a lameness eval., and to my surprise my vet is almost certain that she has EPM. (You can look at the original thread here) I had blood work sent off immediately to the lab that originally discovered the disease (advised by my vet, as it is the lab he trusts the most).
    Because we don't have opossums here, vets are thinking that we have a different strain of EPM, so sometimes it does come up on the titer scale as negative. Some people have elected to treat their horses when this has happened and they have gotten better. I on the other hand am still waiting for the second of the two tests to come back.
    My vet and I have decided to treat her for a month with Marquis and vitamin E, and see how she does. If she shows improvement, we'll probably treat her for a second.

What are your experiences with EPM, and how did it turnout for your horse?
    Have any of you had a similar experience as the one I am currently having?
    Eventingismylife
    http://www.jumpingthebigsky.wordpress.com

Yes, I had a similar experience. It started out as a slight lameness RH, seemingly caused by a very sore SI on the rt side. Injected, got some improvement, but it always came back. My horse also had trouble putting on muscle on the topline, which in retrospect, was a huge sign. Vet didn't think EPM b/c steroid injections usually bring on worse symptoms of EPM, and we did not get that. Lameness eventually got worse, and then he became narcoleptic after a 3rd steroid injection. Treated for EPM, and he became sound.

2 weeks ago we had our first EPM relapse (greeaaattt...). The same symptoms of the initial infection are usually present in a relapse. My horse went off again RH, and became lethargic. Supposedly, relapses are more common in the first year post treatment. We are 8 months out. Did another round of treatment, and are now coming back into work. We did Baycox, but I am doing a round of diclazuril as well this time.

Good luck to you if your mare has EPM. It is a really crappy and unpredictable disease, but many horses come back from it quite well.

Comment

No lameness, just all of a sudden poor performance ( pulled four rails in SJ and this horse rarely touched a rail), and sort of a failure to thrive deal. Horse suddenly did not look healthy and robust. Tested negative for EPM, but all the signs indicated otherwise. We treated with diclazuril, and another adjunct antibiotic, as well as a homeopathic med. Also did a month of gastroguard - all at the recommendation of my treating vet who saw a lot of this when she interned in Texas several years ago.

Horse returned to full work (took about six months). I know at least one other horse, currently competing at upper levels who was very neurological, made a complete recovery and is competing successfully.

What Touch of Grey said. Crappy disease, and a lot of misinformation/lack of knowledge about it out there. Internet searches will make you crazy.
      www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Touch of Grey- Hope your guy makes a speedy recovery

Thank you both, its good to hear some personal experiences. Those internet searches really have been driving me crazy!
        Eventingismylife

Comment

Expect a relapse, expect a relapse that is worse. It's a heartbreaking disease. My horse went from barely off one relapse, to unable to walk next.
          I see distances. Most times more than one. Sometimes I pick the right one, sometimes I pick the wrong one, and sometimes I close my eyes and let Jesus take the wheel.

Comment

Eventingis my life, sorry to hear about your horse and epm. My thoroughbres was just diagnosed this week. I am on day 6 of Marquis and vitamin e. so far he looks the same, but i know it takes time. i have had many people tell me about their horses having a full recovery. i have also had many tell me about relapses. I agree if you search the internet you will drive yourself crazy. All the best to your horse for a speedy recovery.

Comment

I started dealing with this disease in 1999-- so, here are the things that I have learned, for better or worse...

1. There is no test, regardless of what you are told, that can tell you for sure that your horse does, or does not have EPM.

2. You need to use a drug that is cidal to the parasite, at a rate that takes the drug to steady state, for as long as your wallet will allow- an absolute minimum of 45 days at this rate- sixty days is better. There is no data to tell us enough about the life cycle of the protozoans (yes, there is more than one type) to know when you have absolutely nuked them all, and, I believe that they can encyst, although my theory is merely anecdotal.

3. You need to support the horses immune system with at least 10K of Vitamin E, per day, and whatever else makes you happy regarding immune boosters.

4. Doing any kind of exercises that the horse is up to, that keeps their muscles active, and helps to rebuild their nerves (yes, you can) while not stressing or challenging them, is to your (their) benefit.

5. Horses routinely relapse from Baycox (Toltrazuril) and Marquis- which is a metabolite of Toltrazuril. Use Dyclazuril- it is cheaper, and more effective.

Best of luck- this disease sucks!
              When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
              www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
              http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hugs to you.

I lost my guys just about 2 years ago to EPM.

I think recovery depends on the age of the horse, how early you caught it, etc.

My guy was 18 and was miss-diagnosed as needing hock injections, which, sent him into EPM overload. Marquis did nothing for him and I lost him 7 days later.

There was a great Yahoo group for EPM as well, LOTS of info there!
                Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
                Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
                Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

I'm so sorry. EPM is such a devastating disease...for them and us.
                  Off Topic Discussion about Life, Interests & Politics
                  http://theotherboard.boards.net/

Comment

My gelding was 25 when he was diagnosed with EPM. Treated with Marquis. He was never back to normal, but was rideable for awhile. We ended up having to euthanize last summer due to relapse. He was 33....we were very happy he had those last 8 years. I think it depends on the horse, but treatment was defnitely worth it in my case
                    Good luck....the disease really does suck, but there are options for treatment!
                    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

Do your best to keep the horse from hurting herself by falling. I had a big TB that tore a muscle in his "armpit" by falling and doing the splits and the muscle injury was permanent. In the end, we don't know if it was the EPM relapsing or a secondary injury in the spine that was the last straw.
                      Sometimes the die off from the medication can make the horse worse for a bit so just be prepared.

My experience is the relapses after being on medication were much worse than the original problem. I have wondered whether the organism goes into hiding and when the medication is stopped it has a huge population explosion that provokes a huge inflammatory response and thus the really alarming symptoms.

Honestly, it would have to be a very special horse for me to try to treat EPM again. Months of worry and $$$ and heartbreak and the horse it buried on the hill in the paddock.
                      "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

Got my TB when he was 5 in 1992. For some reason his right side always looked different from the left--muscle atrophy. Knew nothing about EPM, so it was about a year or so before he was diagnosed. Treated with the sulfa med that was available at that time and he was rideable. A year or so later there was an EPM trial at the University of Florida vet school so he went in that and was treated, then we finished up with another 90 days of the sulfa med ( I think he was 8-9 at that time).

He was very rideable until he was 18, then apparently had another relapse. Treated him again with the sulfa meds and he got somewhat better, but no longer rideable. Another year or so later I think he had another relapse, but did not treat it this time. Let him have a nice summer out in pasture and then put him down at 20.

Not a nice disease at all. He was always stiff in the right hind and always had atrophy on the right side, but at least we had some good years in between the attacks.

Comment

I was not caught up to speed on all this EPM stuff until my mare I just got back, maybe (hopefully not) positive for the disease.

From what I have read and from what I have heard from my vet, a test will never confirm the disease, because it is estimated that over 50% have been in contact with the disease, but never develop the disease, but would still test positive for it.

My vet was trying to talk me out of the test for EPM, because of that. But I went ahead with the expense and had it done because IF it does come back negative, you are pretty much guaranteed that they don't have the disease.

My vet said if he were to pull blood on any horses in the barn that around half would come back as positive for EPM.

That being said, I have also come across articles where some vets, when they cannot come up with a diagnosis, will just go for EPM- because it fits the bill. And it is costly to treat. There are so many different things that could be going on with a neuro horse, unless you do diagnostics, it is just hard to get a 100% correct diagnosis.

But just bare in mind that just because your horse comes back as positive on the EPM test, doesn't necessarily mean the horse has it.

If you do not have the funds to treat for EPM, please contact me. Also, do not put your horse down right away if you do not have the money to treat, unless it is a medical emergency of course. There are other things that can be going on, that could be fixed either with something simple, or with time.

For instance, west nile. Horses can and do recover from west nile. In the beginning, they need supportive care but if it is already too late for that, they need time to recover and let their immune systems do its' job.

I suggest reading a lot on each disease that it could be. Post here for other's experiences. Ask your vet a lot of questions.

As they always say, you ask ten vets for a diagnosis you will get ten different answers. What I mean by that is, not every vet is right, nor are they God.. Be open minded to different suggestions.

I would also recommend putting the horse on a low starch diet. It won't hurt anything and if the horse improves, you know it could be something along the lines of not processing carbs/sugars right.

Good luck. Sorry you are having to go through this with your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondyb View Post
                            IF it does come back negative, you are pretty much guaranteed that they don't have the disease.
                            (
                            On thehorse.com there is a story about a horse called Piaff who repeatedly tested negative for EPM. After a long battle and lots of diagnostics, in desperation they treated for EPM, too (this is at Rood and Riddle). It was too late. Horse was euthanized and at the necropsy they found lesions in the CNS with LIVE protozoa in them.
                            So anything is possible.
                            "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

The IFAT test definitely has false negatives. Ask me how I know... Did eventually get a weak positive.

Comment

It looks like you've got a lot of input here already, but I'll throw my two cents in for what it's worth. Twelve years ago my five year old gelding was diagnosed with EPM, and we treated it. At the time, there was only one drug my vet was aware of for treating it, and I can't recall the name of it. He showed virtually no improvement after the first month, but after the second month he was much better-walking down hill without tripping, able to turn in tight circles etc. We did three months, if I recall correctly, of treatment and two spinal taps. We were lucky to have a vet that was very interested in our case, as it was the first EPM case he'd seen first hand. He went out of his way to contact "experts" in the field to get the latest research results and be sure he was giving us the most accurate advice possible.

Luckily, the treatment was effective and he never relapsed. He is currently 17 years old, and we recently retired him from eventing, where he was doing prelim and schooling intermediate. It is an awful, devastating disease there's no doubt about it, but don't give up hope, lots of horses do recover and continue to compete at high levels.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for you all on sharing, its has been very helpful. Way to go COTH
                                  Eventingismylife

Comment

Working...
                                  X