• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Purina Strategy Healthy Edge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purina Strategy Healthy Edge

My horse and I just moved to a new town. The local feed stores do not carry Nutrena products (only Purina), so I have had to switch him to Purina Strategy Healthy Edge. See here for Gauranteed Analysis: http://www.horse.purinamills.com/pro...2-0032677.aspx

I suppose I could have chosen any Purina product, but feed store employees told me this was the closest to his old Nutrena product. He was on Nutrena's Hi-Fat. See below for Gauranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein 12%
    Crude Fat 8%
    Crude Fiber 12%
    Calcium min 1%, max 1.5%
    Phosphorus .5%
    Copper 40PPM
    Selenium .3PPM
    Zinc 140PPM
    Vitamin A 6000IU/LB

He has become nearly unmanageable recently. He was fully switched over about three weeks ago. He spooks at everything. Three weeks ago, he wouldn't spook at the idiot frat boys shooting guns next door. Now, he freaks out over a dried leaf blowing across the grass. My question for you; is this feed related? Could a change in product have sent him completely over the edge into pure craziness? If anyone has experience with Purina Strategy Healthy Edge, I'd love to hear from you. Do your horses like it? Do well on it? Does it make them spooky? Thanks!

I just started my gelding on this and so far he isn't crazy about the taste. Other than that, too soon to tell if its going to affect his temperament. He's always a bit spooky and silly so it will have to be a big change for me to notice. I'm interested to see what others say.

Comment

• Original Poster

Gus isn't thrilled about the taste either, Mrs. C. He loved his molasses-covered Nutrena product. He will now leave bits of his Purina behind.

Comment

Just because I'm a nut about this stuff, I just googled and found a formula for Strategy Healthy Edge. Cane molasses is the 4th ingredient before beet pulp which is fifth. If they list the ingredients in the order of how much is in it, that's too much molasses, IMHO. My daughter's OTTB turns into a raving lunatic if he's given any grain with too many simple carbs. I don't know about this form of Strategy, but the plain old Strategy turned him into a fire breathing dragon. It's like he can't stand to be in his own skin. He does fine on Ultium or Triple Crown Senior.
        "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

Several horses on it for months and have seen no change in personality

First, I will say that we are a Purnia barn. Have feed 1 million lbs over past 10.5 yrs. We have horses on Strategy, Ultium, Healthy Edge, Senior, Essential 32, Race Ready and Well Solve so we do try to feed what is optimal to individual horse needs. We have had no quality, health or change in personality issues when fed properly, i.e. quantity overall and quantity per feeding, right grain for the right horse, etc.

We had about 8 horse move to the Healthy Edge as soon as it came out. Some from Strategy, some from Senior and some from Ultium. Not one has changed personalities, gotten hot or spooky. And one of the horses is my 4th level dressage Arab/Trak gelding who can have his Arab side come out periodically.

I assume you also had a change in hay with your move? Has the hay been analyzed so you know levels like the selenium, etc. Might be a change in hay combined with a change in grain? Also assuming that his environment had to change with your move so also look for environmental issues that might be impacting him....something as simple as the change in routine or turnout from his old environment as caught up with him. I would also ask your feed store if there is a PhD equine nutrionist in the area that might be able to do a consultation with you. Or you could try another grain as trial and error.

Good luck!
          Last edited by stoneymeadow; Jan. 23, 2011, 07:10 PM. Reason: typo
          m

Comment

I had a coupon for a free bag and liked the higher fat. I wanted to put a little more weight on my oldie just prior to winter so he got some added to his Purina senior.

While he loves his senior, you could just tell he he did not like the Healthy Edge. He kept looking at me like I was trying to poison him.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by stoneymeadow View Post
              I assume you also had a change in hay with your move? Has the hay been analyzed so you know levels like the selenium, etc. Might be a change in hay combined with a change in grain? Also assuming that his environment had to change with your move so also look for environmental issues that might be impacting him....something as simple as the change in routine or turnout from his old environment as caught up with him. I would also ask your feed store if there is a PhD equine nutrionist in the area that might be able to do a consultation with you. Or you could try another grain as trial and error.

Good luck!
              Yes, I moved across state, so the hay has changed. It is still a coastal hay, but it is a different coastal hay. I have not had the hay analyzed. It is possible that it is a combination of different hay, grain, environment, and routine. He has lived at many different barns with many different hays, environments, and routines, and this is the most drastic change in his behavior. That is the only reason I was thinking it was a grain issue. I'll have to ask the feed stores around here if they know of an equine nutritionist.

ptownevt - I, too, was reading the list of ingredients and corn is pretty high up there. Ultium is pricey, but it may be worth a try since I can only get Purina products. Have you tried the Purina Equine Senior?

Comment

Every horse is different of course. I switched my mare from Strategy to the Healthy Edge and she's done quite well on it... actually quieter this winter than past winters (once she got back on turnout). She's maintained weight very well and with her supplements, including SmartShine, she's nice and glossy. That's just my experience and like I said, every horse is different.
                "Beware the hobby that eats."
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I feed Strategy but NOT Healthy Edge. STrategy is 14% protein and higher fat - pellets so no sugar.

If it has molasses in it that can make a horse hot. See if you can move him to straight Strategy pellets (Purina). I've fed that from babies to 21 year olds and had great success. Has not made any of my horses hot or scared.
                  Now in Kentucky

Comment

Originally posted by Valentina_32926 View Post
                    I feed Strategy but NOT Healthy Edge. STrategy is 14% protein and higher fat - pellets so no sugar.

If it has molasses in it that can make a horse hot. See if you can move him to straight Strategy pellets (Purina). I've fed that from babies to 21 year olds and had great success. Has not made any of my horses hot or scared.
                    Just because it is a pellet doesn't mean it is molasses free, I have seen Safe Choice pellets with molasses in it on the ingredient list. I have never fed strategy so I don't know if it has molasses in it or not, just wanted to point out some pellets do have molasses in them.
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

I've had no problems with Healthy Edge. Sometimes it is all I can get instead of Ultium and I never notice any difference. Of course the max anybody gets of it is 1 lb per day. Maybe if a person is feeding a lot of it, there would be more of a risk but it's been fine for my herd. The yearling on stall rest gets 1 lb. per day and she's been fine too. She's been locked up for over 2 months now and I don't notice her being any more hyper now than before her accident when she was living out in the field.

Comment

Have had hard keeper TB mare on 6lbs. of Healthy Edge p/day and air fern Fatlinger on 1 1/2 lbs. p/day for 4 months and am totally happy with the product. Both have shiney coats, good feet, and eat it up. The only thing it was missing for our regimine was magnesium, so I add 1 scoop of Remission p/day. TB mare was on Fibergized with previous owner and Fatlinger was on local co-op Fat & Fiber blend. So far, so good!

Comment

PELLETS DOES NOT EQUAL NO SUGAR

Originally posted by Valentina_32926 View Post

Strategy is VERY HIGH IN NSC(NON STRUCTURAL CARBOHYDRATES) WHICH = SUGAR AND STARCH...that is what tends to make horses hot,spooky,and erratic...Strategy has a NSC value in the uppper 30% range which is considered high....take it away and see if it makes a difference? or perhaps the move in and of itself has stressed your horse?

Comment

I fed healthy edge for a bit- when it first came out, and i got some coupons in the mail.

My ottb mare struggled for the first 8-9 months or so I had her- she seemed to hoover everything down and yet nothing stuck and she looked like poop. She had a dull coat and was nasty. Unresponsive to ulcer treatment.

I started her on some healthy edge with some beet pulp (she'd live on beet pulp as her mainstay if she were allowed to), and she brightened right up. So i kept her on it for awhile.

My other tb/qh mare wasn't doing as well on it- something was missing for her. So i switched her to TC senior, and she blossomed.

I liked that TC senior was lower nsc, and to make things easier, i switched the ottb over to see if she'd stay well on it. That was about 4 months ago. She looks fantastic.

So, i did have good experience with it, but i ultimately did switch because i found that tc senior worked for both mares and that was just easier to manage.
                            My blog: Change of Pace - Retraining a standardbred via dressage

Comment

I have been using it for about 6 weeks on two large appendix hunters. I feed 3# daily plus 1-2# alfalfa pellets. I am extremely happy with the product, and have seen absolutely NO behavior changes. As a matter of fact the horses have been down right sleepy lately. They seem quiet and happy. They are shiny and gaining weight (one was a little under weight prior to starting).

Yes there is molasses in it but the overall NSC is 18% which is a nice reasonable number.

Both eat it with no problem.

I have never been much of a Purina fan but decided to try this b/c it is cost effective and easy to get. I am really happy with it. I spend about $35/month per horse.

Comment

I'm feeding 7 horses on Healthy Edge right now and couldn't be happier. Two of them switched over from a local sweet feed (one mare looked absolutely awful on that and was a spookfest). Now, she's gaining weight and she GLOWS she's so shiney. I've got a Morgan, a Walking horse, 2 TBs, an Arab, an Appendix and a Perch on it, none of them have gotten higher on the feed and some have actually beeen behaving much better. Free choice grass hay 24x7, flax as a supplement and the occasional flake of alfalfa are being fed along with it.
                                Kerri

Comment

I switched my horses over from Nutrena Safechoice to the Healthy Edge. It has been over 6 months now and I've had no problems. The horses gobble it down and they look great. I honestly haven't noticed a postive or negative change as compared to the Safechoice.
                                  Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
                                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

Originally posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
                                    I switched my horses over from Nutrena Safechoice to the Healthy Edge. It has been over 6 months now and I've had no problems. The horses gobble it down and they look great. I honestly haven't noticed a postive or negative change as compared to the Safechoice.
                                    Do you feed your yearlings/coming 2 year olds the Healthy Edge? I have been seriously considering it for my boys (18 mo WB colts) If so, how much do you generally feed, and do you supplement with anything? If not, what do you feed them?

I was impressed with the Lysine/Cu/Zn levels, which have always seemed to be touted as some of the most important elements in proper young horse growth. I like that the HE is 18% vs 38% NSC compared to the reg Strategy. Would probably add a flake of alfalfa to up protein and Ca intake a little.

Comment

LEL, I haven't ever fed Purina Equine Senior. I have found one post on another forum that says that the Purina Strategy Healthy Edge has a NSC of 18% which isn't bad. I haven't used anything Purina except Ultium since our horrific experience with the old Strategy which had a NSC of 28%.

The biggest complaint I have with Purina is that they are not fixed formula. That means they can use whatever is available as long as the guaranteed analysis comes out right. The actual grains used and proportions can and do change. The Triple Crown Senior is a fixed formula; same grains, same proportions every time.

If I had to use Purina I would definitely go with Ultium.
                                      "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

Ok, I have to question this fixed formula thing.

The point of the exercise when developing and producing modern livestock feeds is to end up with something that provides a consistent nutritional profile for the same quantity every time you feed.

Grains do not always have exactly the same nutritional profile, depending on where they are grown, the weather conditions they were grown in, etc., etc.

They can also vary dramatically in price--not an insignificant issue.

This is why companies like Purina often vary the quantities of ingredients (a list of which is on the bag tag) that they use in a run of pellets, say. In order that you are feeding a consistent nutritional profile.

If a company doesn't do that, how do you know that you are feeding consistently?

Comment

Working...
                                        X