Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old horse ongoing pain control?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previcox is less hard on the gut than bute, but it's not without any side effects (as a course of omeprazole is teaching me at the moment.)

Gabapentin? Really? How interesting. I've just been prescribed this and after a few nights of terrible nightmares which I was too doped to escape from, I've stopped taking it. Definately a case of the cure being worse than the disease!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by stilldreaming View Post
      I love this thread.
      I am doing my best to keep an arthritic horse comfy for as long as it wants. We are not sound, but have found noticeable improvement with pvcx. I also give a joint supp, "nimble supreme", 2 scoops/day.

Question-- and I will ask my vet-- but can I add MSM to this? MSM is not on the numble label. I have never considered that.
      I have found MSM very useful, and all my horses are on the maintenance dose of 10,000. I just add up any MSM in supplements to make sure I know how much total any one horse is getting. My old mare is on a bit less than 20,000 (the normal loading does), a scoop morning and night. I use the cheapest powered MSM for the other horses, but I buy the pelleted version for the old mare as she is a pickier eater, and has always only eaten what she needs to be in good shape, vs my other airfern mare that would eat herself to death if allowed.

Old mare has been on a gram of bute for 4 days now, is MUCH sounder and happier, so a switch to Previcox will probably do the trick.

My old mare's mom died at 18, so the 20+ area is new to me, as my geldings have been sold. I did keep a boarder Appalosa gelding for several years that came here at 36 totally sound - and a very elastic mover, but virtually blind. Every morning I slid my eye around the door, expecting to see him dead in his stall, but nope. He left here at 40 and lived to 44, still sound, and was finally put down due to a melanoma that was out of control.
      Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
      www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Comment

Please remember that you have to give at least four days off of bute before switching to previcoxx.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Fharoh. That will work out well because I am out of Bute.

Comment

My old girl is that one in a million horse that does not tolerate MSM well so have used non-MSM joint supplements. I had used Conquer gel with really good results. Then last summer she developed "active" arthritis in her left hock so we needed to review the supplements and add bute.

At the WEG's they were handing out samples of Triple Crown Fish Oil powder. It does not contain MSM and my mare will eat it. Just finishing 2 months of use and she is good with .5 gram of bute 2-3 times a week plus 1 gram the day before her feet are trimmed.

She will turn 31 on Jan 29th and still bucks and farts around her paddock. Good luck with your old soul.
            "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
            Courtesy my cousin Tim

Comment

• Original Poster

So my old mare has now been on Previcox for 4 days. This is definately working as she is the same level of sound as when on the 1.5 gm Bute. She walks more fluidly, and generally seems happier.

As she is free fed, and never really hungry,I do not give it in her grain, because I want to make sure she gets it in on time. She loves carrots, so I just give her a bite of carrot, then crunch the next bite up into small pieces, and include the 1/4 Previcox tab, She gobbles it down. Very easy.

Comment

There are two Smartsupplements that are for pain. Smart TLC and Smart TLC Herb-Free. I might try the Smart TLC...it has good reviews. Nothing will beat NSAIDs but if you want to try to hold off on bute or previcox it could be worth a try. I would pair the Smart TLC with a joint supplement or plain msm, as it only has 5 g of msm.
                There are other supplements you could try too like Smartflex senior, smartflex repair, recovery ha, equithrive, devil's claw plus, or any other joint supplement really.
                come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

Working...
                X