• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My HAY looks good, smells good, purchased out of the field by respected grower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My HAY looks good, smells good, purchased out of the field by respected grower

but my horses wont eat it? I just thought the first couple of bales may have had something dead in them, but after several bales, I watched it being baled, picked it up out of the field myself from a grower that grows the best horse hay around and I have purchased from for the last 15 years, my horses that are dry lotted due to drought still wont eat it?

I just don't understand, it is clean with no dust are trash. Of all my years of owning horses I have never had this proplem.

I could understand a few bales, but not nearly a whole load.

Has anyone reading ever had this happen? Do you know why?

Is it a different type of hay than they are used to?
    In my opinion a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs. Its something you just can't get from a pet hamster.
    In The Nick of Time

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by justjumpit278 View Post
      Is it a different type of hay than they are used to?
      the producer has a huge place with hay fields spread out in all directions, so my answer is yes and no, I have bought out of this field before but not in the last year are so until this load.

Comment

Could you take a similar bale and offer it to some other horses, see if they also turn their noses up at it?

This year I had 3-4 bales of my 3rd cutting orchard that my horses just would NOT eat. They normally eat that stuff first, but these few bales were rejected. Same farmer for four years, same fields, all the other bales have been eaten with gusto. I never could figure it out, and just chucked the stuff. They're back to eating the same stuff, near as I can tell--just those few bales were no-go.

Perhaps they're just being a little picky?
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

I can relate - I am having the same problem right now. The timothy I have looks green, no dust, smells good but my horse is leaving 3/4 of it at every feeding. I admit, it is on the stemmy side, but usually he leaves maybe 1/4 of it. It's turning into expensive straw! I don't think there is anything really WRONG with it perse - it just isn't measuring up to his palate.

I thought the last batch of Timothy I had was bad - so I exchanged it for this batch. That was a mistake! He definitely ate the previous bales better than the current load. I don't feel like I can ask them to exchange this batch having already done it once. This feed store is very accommodating, but I don't want to take advantage of them. If I can get through these Timothy bales, I am going to buy Orchard grass next and switch to feeding that. I would rather feed Timothy, but cost wise it just isn't economical to waste so much. I have a couple of bales of Orchard now, and he is eating that fairly well, so I would rather give him hay he will eat. And only being able to store about 15 bales at a time is going to work in my favor this time - hopefully I can get through these bales in about 2 months.

My horse isn't exactly a hoover - but he usually isn't this picky either. Ah, the joys of horse ownership! Wish they could just tell us, it's too dusty, its moldy, or it just plain tastes awful!

Comment

• Original Poster

I wish they could tell me also, it cost to much to throw out, plus there are not getting there hay. I have some hay from the first cutting that was ugly and steamy, but all I could get at the time with the drought and they ate that better than this. And they both love to eat. Just wondering if a deer are something gave birth on it before it was cut, who knows, just a big waste of money for what seems to be good hay. May take some to the University and have it tested.

Comment

I've had horses not eat new (different) hay. Try just giving them a little bit. Make them clean it up or get hungry. For me, it was just a few days and they were eating it like normal, once they got used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mhtokay View Post
                I've had horses not eat new (different) hay. Try just giving them a little bit. Make them clean it up or get hungry. For me, it was just a few days and they were eating it like normal, once they got used to it.
                True! I've experienced this too... it's like they think if they can hold out, the yummier stuff will come back! lol

I've heard two things about unpalatable hay, but do not know if it's accurate or not, but may be something to think about:
                1) if a preservative was sprayed on the hay (to make it dry faster?) horses will refuse it. In this case soaking the hay for 1/2 hour will help....Maybe it washes it off?
                2) Leafier hay is actually more bitter then stemmy hay...

Not sure if either apply...but hopefully they start eating soon!

Comment

it might be you are feeding to much of other food...

Comment

My first thought was #1 by RLF ... preservative or new 'chemical' used to grow or 'enhance' the hay? New seed? New pesticide, herbicide, fertilizer?

and yes, leafy *is* better than stemmy.
                    --Gwen <><
                    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
                    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Comment

I put up a few kinds of hay this year, and the nicest looking and smelling stuff I've got the horses will barely touch. The lousiest looking stuff I have (still quite clean, just looks like halloween straw) they devour. Makes zero sense.

Then I got my hay tested and discovered that the lousy looking stuff actually is much better nutritionally than the nice soft fluffy sweet smelling green stuff I have. So makes more sense now why they choose to leave this one hay.

But, I'm sorry, tough cookies for my horses. I have this hay in the barn, it is still quite edible and very clean, so they have to suck it up and deal. They're going to eat it, or go hungry, I'm sorry, its perfectly fine. I don't cater to this kind of pickiness when there is no health reason for being so.

There is a possibility that your hay is nutritionally much different than what you fed before and they're being picky. If I were in your shoes I'd probably give it a few days, cut open a few bales, and wait for them to come around.

As was mentioned, I'd dole it out in smaller amounts so it doesn't get wasted, and wait for them to clean it up, and the horses might start becoming grateful to have it.

Pickiness is so frustrating.
                      Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by caballus View Post
                        and yes, leafy *is* better than stemmy.
                        haha...no I was told leafy is more "bitter"... lol As in tart.

Again, I don't know if that's true...but someone mentioned it to me...

Comment

I grow my own hay and this year we got 1st, 2nd and 3rd cut off all of our fields and 4th cut off a couple

All of it is green, no rain, beautiful hay. The 2nd cut MIGHT have been about 1-2 weeks more mature than ideal (but I try and cut before it goes to bloom at all as the quality is more important to me than the quantity is) so really - when I ended up cutting it would probably be when 99% of thecommercial growers would ...)

The 4th cut was reserved for the harder keepers and the ones that I felt truly needed it and it was hoovered up in the blink of an eye

But what really puzzles me is that they dont seem keen on the 2nd or 3rd cuts at all - they far prefer the stalkier, coarser, more yellowish 1st cut and when I give them a flake of each, they will eat the 1st cut first and then stare and sigh at the 2nd or 3rd cut offering and try to will it to become 1st cut in front of their very eyes so that they can stave off pending starvation ...

Drives me nuts - it really does - because I intentionally only kept about 500 bales of the 1st and put up 1500-1700 bales of the 2nd/3rd cut as - to me - it was far better hay with a deeper green colour, leafier, higher protein, softer and more alfalfa content

Shows what I know, doesnt it?!
                          www.TrueColoursFarm.com
                          www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

YES, this happened to me this year too. I had one load of orchard grass/alfalfa mix, second cutting, that looked great and smelled probably the best I've smelled ever - very sweet and aromatic. And my four horses: three pigs and one picky eater - none of them would TOUCH it! They picked through it if I left it there for very long, but they really just wasted it, peed on it, layed on it, pooped on it, stomped and and refused to eat it. I tried waiting them out, but they never seemed to get hungry enough to actually EAT IT. I have NO idea what caused that. And yes, I had a load of first- cut grass hay that looked kind of pale and stemmy to me, that they all cleaned up like candy! HUH? There's no accounting for horse's taste sometimes!

Comment

Manes&Tails,

Look closely, your horses are ROFL at you!

Or snickering behind your back.

Probably both!!

Devils!!

Same as mine!

Comment

Glad that Im not alone with these damned picky, impossible-to-figure-out horses ...

And I should have also said we dont salt any of our hay nor do spray any acid on it - ever - so there is not going to be any taste variation in there at all due to any of those factors

I swear if I ever have to go and actually BUY hay, I am loading up my horse trailer and taking THEM to pick out the hay THEY want to eat as obviously ME picking out green, soft, leafy, sweet smelling, mold free hay doesnt bear any resemblance at all as to what THEY actually want to eat in the end ...
                                www.TrueColoursFarm.com
                                www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

I've had it happen. I ended up selling the hay they wouldn't eat (buyer tried 2 bales first) and buying new. I ended up making money on it too. Can't beat that.

Comment

Originally posted by buck22 View Post
                                    I put up a few kinds of hay this year, and the nicest looking and smelling stuff I've got the horses will barely touch. The lousiest looking stuff I have (still quite clean, just looks like halloween straw) they devour. Makes zero sense.

Then I got my hay tested and discovered that the lousy looking stuff actually is much better nutritionally than the nice soft fluffy sweet smelling green stuff I have. So makes more sense now why they choose to leave this one hay.

But, I'm sorry, tough cookies for my horses. I have this hay in the barn, it is still quite edible and very clean, so they have to suck it up and deal. They're going to eat it, or go hungry, I'm sorry, its perfectly fine. I don't cater to this kind of pickiness when there is no health reason for being so.

There is a possibility that your hay is nutritionally much different than what you fed before and they're being picky. If I were in your shoes I'd probably give it a few days, cut open a few bales, and wait for them to come around.

As was mentioned, I'd dole it out in smaller amounts so it doesn't get wasted, and wait for them to clean it up, and the horses might start becoming grateful to have it.

Pickiness is so frustrating.
                                    It's usually about sugar content..... hay that is leafy and green has been grown under ideal conditions...ie lots of water and fertilizer and probably cut under ideal conditions.......therefore tend to have lower sugars........stressed hay or mature hay tends to be high in sugar.

I bought a horse from the interior of B.C. where they feed quite different hay then here on the coast.....it took the horse about 6 to 8 months to eat all of his hay up........when this happens I just feed less so there is no waste.

Dalemma

Comment

I had this trouble with a load of beautiful, soft orchard grass. It was prime hay, and smelled good enough to eat myself. The first week or so they just stomped it into the dirt then stood around chewing the wood and screaming at me for new hay. I didn't have the NSC tested on that load but I suspect it was pretty low since it was grown under absolutely ideal, nearly perfect conditions. They did eventually start eating it but I had to withhold all alfalfa and grain to make them realize that it's eat this, or starve. The only exception I made was Sweets, since she's had ulcers in the past. I would let her have the alfalfa and I didn't force her to switch over. But after a few weeks she would eat more and more of the other stuff until eventually it became a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalemma View Post
                                        It's usually about sugar content.....
                                        the stemmy straw-like t/o my horses prefer does have a bit more sugar, but its also equally higher in protein and lysine. As crappy as it looks, it has a RFV 76 versus the gorgeous, dark green, sweet smelling leafy soft 1st cutting which has an RFV of only 66.

according to the analysis, and to my horse's choices, the ugly hay is superior to the pretty hay.... its just hard to accept that though every morning when I throw hay I have to force them to eat what I thought was going to be the good stuff I'd be doling out like a treat over the next year... now I can't get it out of the barn fast enough

And to boot, I have some 2nd cutting that is brown and miserable looking, looks like it was put in a microwave and then run over by my truck, and to my horses its like crack. I tested it and it has by far the lowest sugar of any hay I've put up, but the protein and lysine is double of any hay I've got, and the RFV is 89. And its ugly, brown and dismal, looks like it was rained on (wasn't) and doesn't smell nice at all, has little smell.

appearances really can be deceiving with hay I've learned.
                                        Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Working...
                                        X