• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse Rearing in Cross Ties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Rearing in Cross Ties

I own a lovely pony who would just about fall asleep in the cross ties. We moved barns, which started well, but slowly she started developing awful behaviour in the cross ties. This was an outdoor board situation and when she'd come in, she'd become very impatient when away from the other horses. Her impatience started with pawing and eventually she started rearing in the cross ties. I do NOT put up with rearing, ever. She was immediately scolded for any impatient behaviour and I assumed the rearing would quickly go away. By the end of our month there, she'd rear even when she was in the cross ties beside her best friend. The problem just kept getting worse.

For whatever reason, that barn did not work for my horse, so we moved at the end of our month there. After a week at the new barn, I decided to see what would happen if we attempted the cross ties again. She reared, was told off immediately, but I decided to avoid using the cross ties for a while, let her settle in more and then tackle the issue again.

What do you do for a horse who rears in the cross ties? How do I tackle this issue when its time to use the cross ties again?

If I had a horse that reared in the cross ties he would not be cross tied. It sounds more like herd bound than a cross tie problem in your horse's case. Fix that and I imagine the cross tie thing takes care of itself.
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Are the cross ties in an aisle? Or in a grooming stall?

What happens if you tie her in her stall and groom her there instead? Can you rig up cross ties in her stall so if she tries to back up her bum is going to hit the wall and she cant go any further?

I agree that she sounds like she is throwing a hissy fit because you have taken her away from her friends and the rearing isnt because of being in crossties as much as the herd bounded-ness ...
      www.TrueColoursFarm.com
      www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm sure it was just a hissy fit. She's entirely settled and chilled in her new barn now, so, we need to reattempt the cross ties. The cross ties were in a grooming stall, both the old cross ties and the new cross ties. If I tied her up in the stall, I'm sure she'd stand without any issues. She currently is tacked up in her stall without being tied and doesn't move a muscle.

Comment

Hello,

We had a young unhanded horse here this summer that exhibited some similar behaviors when he was learning about cross ties.

We were told to tie a soft cotton lead around his heart girth and up through his front legs (like a standing martingale). This took away his ability to rear in the cross ties and eventually become settled.
          “The profession of book writing makes horse racing seem like a solid, stable business.”

Comment

We get lots of green horses new to cross ties. I always start them in the wash stall/grooming stall, so they can't back up. I keep a lead rope on the halter (chain sometimes). I don't attempt to do anything but teach them to stand in the cross ties. Sounds like you might have to go back to basics for a while.

For a really bonkers horse, I tie snaps to the cross tie with twine. I'd much rather break the twine and release the horse than break my cross ties. I always have a firm hold of the lead rope.

Comment

Originally posted by forthebirds View Post
              We were told to tie a soft cotton lead around his heart girth and up through his front legs (like a standing martingale). This took away his ability to rear in the cross ties and eventually become settled.
              Well, it took away his ability to rear, but not to flip himself over. If this mare is throwing a herd bound hissy, I would worry that a tie down would do just that.

Personally, I'd be inclined to find a low ceiling and let nature take it's course. And have the vet's emergency number half dialed .... depending on how fed up I was.
              Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

Originally posted by forthebirds View Post
                I've read about this, except with the rope having a loop at one end & then passing the other end of the rope through it; this way, when the horse rears/pulls back, the rope tightens around the horse's body.

Here's the explanation: http://community.equisearch.com/forums/t/85767.aspx
                Topline Leather -- Bespoke, handwoven browbands & accessories customized with Swarovski crystals, gemstones, & glass seed beads. The original crystal braid & crystal spike browbands!

Comment

Wondering what "telling off the horse" constitutes?

Crossties with fuses, a shank over the nose, and a low ceiling works for me.... at least in cases of 'hissy fit' vs. 'actually scared or confused'.

Jennifer
                  Third Charm Event Team

Comment

well, if it were me and as luck would have it, it's not...

Pony needs to be re-educated on who is her herd when she's out of the pasture. You are the herd and that is all she should be focused on. Get a rope halter or do a chain over the nose. Stand her in the tie area but not tied. She should stand feet not moving. If not, correct and put her exactly where you want her. Only let this go on for a few minutes. If she doesn't settle, take her to a bigger area where you can work on Go and Whoa. Work her on a lead longer than a lead line but shorter than a lunge line, about 15 feet. She will have to work and get her mind tuned into you in order to see standing in the ties as a good thing, not something to stress over. Do lots of Go, Whoa and Reverse without crowding you. Reinstate in her mind that whoa means whoa.

You will have to be consistent with doing this several days in a row for it to stick.

I don't generally advocate leaving a rearing horse tied snug as they tend to get so worked up they can flip, get turned around or start breaking halters and leads. You need to go back to square one with this pony so that she learns what is expected of her away from the pasture arrangement.

This is the version that takes time and work from a handler. If you want the horse teaches themselves version, you can do this.

Tie the horse up snug away from the pasture mates. Make sure she is wearing a stout halter and be sure there is little chance she can break away. Leave her there. For hours.

The risks? Injury, strain to the neck from pulling, flipping, pawing, thirst, horse doesn't learn that stand still is a command from you versus the only option, horse may or may not have the brains to work through the problem.

We all know that there are different training methods all over the world and this is the go to method for most ranch type horses. They spend long hours standing tied and eventually figure out the this is the scenery so may as well relax when you're in it. I know it works but you have to have a thick skin to leave the horse standing there long enough.
                    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

How does she behave when tied in her stall ?

Comment

• Original Poster

The herd bound behaviour has been cleared up, so I've been hoping that the cross tie issue has been cleared up as well. I've just been a bit hesitant to try cross tying again in the case that the issue isn't actually solved. I carried a dressage whip with me at all times around the pony and she was tapped for even pawing as pawing just led to rearing.

I'm basically looking for a way to approach putting her in cross ties again. It makes me nervous to see her rear as all I can think about is "what if she flips over?". I think I'll start by having her stand still in the grooming stall for a few days and then attempting the cross ties again with a shank over her nose.

Comment

Please look into the blocker tie rings if you are going to discipline her with a shank. I'm not saying that is a bad way of disciplining her. I would worry that she might sit back and break the ties. I have the blocker rings, so if something goes awry, my horse gets enough slack to hit the back of the grooming stall and never has the opportunity to bust things up.
                          Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

Originally posted by Clever Pony View Post
                            She reared, was told off immediately, but I decided to avoid using the cross ties for a while, let her settle in more and then tackle the issue again.

What do you do for a horse who rears in the cross ties? How do I tackle this issue when its time to use the cross ties again?
                            You "told her off"... but did you address the underlying issue? She is rearing for a reason and while you may "NOT tolerate" it, it is her only form of communication. She is responding to emotions and/or a specific situation.

I would address the root issue, whether that be herdboudness (so, exercises earning her trust in my leadership so she felt secure with me as opposed to feeling the need to be with her buddies) or lack of patience and respect (more exercises, but ones that gain her focus and respect), or what. Make the wrong answer hard (ie. have her move her feet, etc) and the right easy (ie. leave her alone). Teach her to have more self-confidence (therefore become calmer, braver, smarter) and to rely on ME for direction.

I wouldn't "scold" a horse for rearing in the cross-ties, I would take it as a sign that something needs to be addressed.

As for how to re-introduce the cross-ties, I would do as you plan: groom her in the groom stall then slowly re-introduce the cross-ties when she is quietly and patiently ground-tying. Using a chain over her nose or a whip on her legs (etc) could possibly only escalate the situation and it certainly does not address the root issue.
                            ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                            ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Tie the horse up snug away from the pasture mates. Make sure she is wearing a stout halter and be sure there is little chance she can break away. Leave her there. For hours.

The risks? Injury, strain to the neck from pulling, flipping, pawing, thirst, horse doesn't learn that stand still is a command from you versus the only option, horse may or may not have the brains to work through the problem.

We all know that there are different training methods all over the world and this is the go to method for most ranch type horses. They spend long hours standing tied and eventually figure out the this is the scenery so may as well relax when you're in it. I know it works but you have to have a thick skin to leave the horse standing there long enough.
                              Funny you mentioned that ...

Years ago I sent a 2 year old TB colt to a WP trainer to be backed and one of the first lessons that he learned, was being tied with a big, thick stout rope to the side of the arena (to one of the thick upright beams) , with the rope threaded through his halter to a thick padded neck collar. And standing on rubber mats. Al said the first day he tried to dig his way out of there with not much luck on the mats, and then he figured he may as well try and pull the arena to where he wanted to go, with no luck there either, and then being a smart colt, he figured out that standing and sleeping was the prefered option while Al was working other horses in the arena around him. Afterwards you could tie him ANYWHERE with any distractions going on around him - it didnt bother him a bit - and he would literally snooze through them

Understanding the concept of giving to pressure is absolutely one of the most critical things for them to learn ...
                              www.TrueColoursFarm.com
                              www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

I was going to work through this myself, but decided to get professional help instead. This issue makes me rather nervous as I worry about my horse's safety and would rather know I'm doing the right thing, instead of thinking I am. I had a lovely recommendation for a trainer in the area from a friend and decided to see if she could give me a hand.

Comment

My horse was very seriously hurt flipping out in cross ties. I finally learned not to listen to advice from hard asses who don't have to pay the medical bills when their advice causes a major injury. (Avoid people from "the school of hard knocks." They don't pay the medical bills.) My vet told me that he's seen a number of bad accidents with cross ties and I should only use them with a breakable tie (look for something called a ping.). That said, sometimes my horse is just fine and other times not, so I just go with what seems safe to him. If possible I use an Aussie tie ring and I have Pings on all my halters.

Comment

I'd just stand her in there using your halter and lead, and correct her if she tries to move, putting her back where you had her. Also work on teaching her to drop her he'd to poll pressure. It's a valuable lesson.

Comment

Anyone look at the dates, to realize this is a 6 year old thread?

Comment

This may very well be an unpopular opinion but I'm going to throw it out there and put on my flame suit.

I've had pretty much 100% success with that I call "the patience tree". A horse that doesn't respect being tied or just loses his mind when he's away from this friends is basically tied to a tree and allowed to work through their issues.

To be clear, the horse is always tied on a decent legnth of line where he can put his head down and move around a bit, without it being so long he could put a leg over it, and it's VITAL the horse be tied with the actual tie as high as possible and absolutely above the height of the withers. It usually takes about 45 minutes (but I've known horses to take longer) to realize that 1) they're tied, that's the end of it, they can't break away, and 2) absolutely noting is hurting them or making their lives miserable right now except themselves. Usually they eventually realize this and have a bit of a snooze after a while. I've never once had one get hurt in any way, nor have I seen it fail to improve the horse's tying behavior. I've also used it (but much more rarely) with a cross-tie type set up.

Equally importantly is that the horse be left alone. Attempts to comfort the horse while he's upset about being tied only encourage the beahvior, and it goes without saying the tie up should be firm and unbreakable but have a quick release that you, not the horse, can use if needed. I always make sure the horse has had a nice breakfast and a good drink and if possible some turn out before going to the patience tree to put everything in their favor, and if they're not getting the idea after a couple hours they get a break where they're fe, watered, and possibly turned out for a bit, and then it's back to the patience tree. Horses should never be tied all day, over night, or if there's not someone in the vicinity keeping has an eye on them. They should absolutely not be deprived of regular water or food throughout the day, or tied out if they're full of energy which would be better expended in turnout or on a ride, as that's setting them up for a worse session than necessary.

Also most likely the horse has figured out a great trick that never fails. Don't want to be on the cross ties? Well just rear and they fall right away! I once working in a barn that had chain cross ties and used nylon halters, with no breakaways in the system at all (which I don't necessarily condone), and while I saw a couple horses put on a good show of pulling back, the cross ties held them and the horse eventually just settled and realized the whole pulling or rearing this was useless. But again, there's an amount of risk with that especially if the floor is concrete and they could slip.

I always introduction horses to cross ties by trying one side of the cross tie, and then just firmly wrapping the lead rope to the other wall in a way that mimics the other cross tie but will release under firm pressure. However I do that to avoid them learning to rear or pull, and while it's safer to do it that way with a rearer it may also not stop the behavior or may possibly encourage it.

I have a horse who will break the cross ties at any opportunity, because he picked up the habit before I got him. However it looks pretty dramatic when he tries, but when he realizes he can't break free he just kinda gives up on it for the day, and he's never actually putting a full-body panicked effort into it, just a really good try to see if it'll work this time.

Behavior which is no longer brings the desired reward after repeated attempts will cease. If it works, even some of the time, it will continue pretty much foever. It also seems to be the case that horses are much less comfortable being tied in aisles with a lot of space behind them than in a more enclosed area.

Again, a lot of people may disagree with what I've just said, and it should absolutely not be attempted if you don't feel confident in your ability to safely tie or if you refuse to tie without a break away. However as I said when done correctly I've never seen it not work and never seen a horse get hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                        X