• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What are you feeding your horses this winter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you feeding your horses this winter?

I havent seen one of these threads for awhile just wondering what everyones feeding!
    What area are you from?
    What's the weather like right now?
    What breed of horse and what are you feeding?

I'll go first!!-
    I'm from Southern California.
    It's between 60-75 during the day a few days a little colder with some rainy days. Nights ranging between 35-50
    Horse 1- Arab - great weight and muscle and supershiny!!
    free choice orchard hay
    3 lbs alfalfa pellets
    3 lbs Triple crown senior
    Grand coat
    Grand hoof

Horse 2- Arab-great weight and muscle and supershiny!!!
    Free choice orchard hay
    3 lbs alfalfa pellets
    3 lbs Triple crown senior
    Grand coat
    Grand hoof

Horse 3- Appendix- great weight and muscle can be a bit of a hard keeper. Has the most beautiful shiny dappled coat I've ever seen!!
    Free choice orchard hay
    3 lbs alfalfa pellets
    6 lbs triple crown senior
    Grand coat
    Grand hoof

Horse 4- Tb - definitely a hard keeper drops weight very easily. I've had him about six months now and I think Ive finally figured out how to keep the weight on!!

Free choice orchard hay
    3 lbs alfalfa pellets
    9 lbs Triple crown senior- split into 3 feedings
    8 is rice bran oil
    Grand coat
    Grand hoof

Ok your turn!!
    -----The sun never sets on the cool....
  • Original Poster

8 oz of rice bran oil!!!- sorry the edit is not working from my phone!!!!
    -----The sun never sets on the cool....

Comment

Everything gets free choice alfalfa/orchard mix, with some timothy thrown in when they are in their stalls overnight.

Everything gets TC Senior, split into two feedings:
      Hard-keeper TB: 8 lbs./day
      Appendix and retired TB: 3 lbs./day
      Weanling: 5 lbs./day

Appendix gets Isox and Cosequin. Nothing else, I keep it simple. Not a big believer in feed-throughs, I'd rather spend my money on high-quality hay and grain. They are all in good weight, shiny and happy. I'm in northern Indiana. We have six inches of snow and it is 10 degrees this morning.

Comment

Free choice fescue/bermuda/orchard hay in hay nets.

Plain beet pulp
        BOSS
        Whole, raw peanuts (since one of mine can't handle alfalfa)
        EquiPride
        Wheat Germ Oil
        SmartFlex II

allllll mixed up with hot water
        <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Ok, my boys...
          Retired 18 yr old OTTB, regular keeper, maintaining weight well. Shiny, furry, bright-eyed and bushy tailed. He loves galloping around the field showing off just how fast he is.
          AM
          2.5 lb Strategy
          1.5 lb Blue Seal Hay Stretcher
          1.5 lb (dry when measured) beet pulp shreads
          Supplements-
          1/2 cup Omega Horseshine
          Farriers Formula (getting pulled from supplement list after it's gone)
          SmartC (getting pulled from supplement list after it's gone)
          SmartDigest
          MSM
          PM
          2.5 lb Strategy
          1.5 lb Blue Seal Hay Stretcher
          1.5 lb (dry when measured) beet pulp shreads

11 yr old QH, fairly easy keeper, good weight, shiny, happy, loves to gallop and buck in the field too.
          AM
          2 lb Strategy
          .5 lb Blue Seal Hay Stretcher
          1.5 lb beet pulp shreads
          Supplements-
          1/2 cup Omega Horseshine
          2 Cosequin ASU+HA treats
          Smartflex Senior Herb-Free Pellets
          Smartdigest
          PM
          2 lb Strategy
          .5 lb Blue Seal Hay Stretcher
          1.5 lb beet pulp shreads

They both get free choice grass hay, mostly orchard grass with a little timothy. The hay is good quality, and at night they also get a flake each of a really rich, green 2nd cutting orchard grass. I think they're getting about 25-30 lbs of hay a day.
          come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

In Ireland. It's been a rough winter so far. My mare in show jump training gets beet pulp, barley, alfalfa chaff, sure limb vit and mins, stabilised flax meal, gastro shield, msm, and raspberry leaves oh and 1pd of rice bran. She has free choice grass haylage. She's in about 8 pds total per day of feed.

Mine at home are on much of the same except less barley and I use oats. Some get rice bran some not depending. They all get free choice grass hay. Most rations are between 6 - 8 pds per day split obviously. Mine are all TB's bar the weanling and jumping mare which are warmbloods with TB mothers. All in great weight and having no problems keeping it on.

Terri
            COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Comment

Everybody:

Orchard grass/alfalfa and straight alfalfa hay.
              Equi-VM vitamin/mineral
              Source
              Soaked beet pulp
              Black oil sunflower

Ultium or Healthy Edge (Ultium isn't always available here) for the Arabs (Sweets about 1 lb. right now and the filly about 1/2 lb.)

Wellsolve L/S to the fatties

Two of the borders get a cup of oats each daily along with the Ultium or Healthy Edge. I don't like oats as a horse feed, but that's what their owner wants them to have.

MSM for the QH with arthritis
              SmartFlex Repair and Ulcergard for the injured filly.

Sweets isn't working right now so doesn't get the flax and rice bran. When she goes back to work in another month or so, she'll get a few ounces a day.

Comment

Lots of orchard hay for everyone.

Weaners are getting 2 pounds of Tribute weanling growth formula AM and PM.

Shetland gets a couple of ounces of Uckele grass base vit/min/AA pellets.

Gelding in rehab after tendon surgery gets about 1/4 pound of Tribute essential K AM and PM, plus Smart Tendon, an APF "cookie" and a little of the vitamin stuff. The supplements are chosen by his owner in case anyone thinks I've become a supplement junkie. I do give him TUMS when I ride him.

Big mare gets 3/4 pound of Essential K AM and PM and the vitamins.
                Click here before you buy.

Comment

Paxton: even body-clipped with highs in the 30s due to some freaky cold weather is SUCH an easy keeper

AM

1/4 lb Purina L/S
                  1/2 lb Beat Pulp Shreads
                  1 oz multi-vitamin
                  1 flake of coastal

PM

1/4 lb Purina L/S
                  1/2 lb Beat pulp shreads
                  1 oz Apple-a-day
                  3 flakes coastal

* everything is then soaked and put in the fridge for about 8 hours creating a yucky looking slopp

that plus 6-8 hours of turnout on decent grass is more than enough for her right now since she is only getting worked 3-5 days a week since I cannot stand the cold.

Comment

My Mare - 18 year old QH, going back into training for eventing after bad freezes are over, but for now just light work. No joint problems, no history of colic, pretty easy keeper!

AM -
                    Bring her inside (my 'inside' is a 12'x36' shedrow, so not really a stall)
                    6 lbs of straight alfalfa

PM -
                    4 lbs of Strategy
                    1 scoop MSM
                    1 scoop electrolytes
                    Warm water to mix
                    After dinner she goes outside and has free choice breadless wheat roundbale.

7 month old appendix colt, out of the above mare and the reason I have to switch out who is in the pasture and who is in the barn (only one pasture )

AM -
                    Out on free choice roundbale

PM -
                    2 lbs of Ulitum Growth
                    1 scoop of 12:12 mineral balance because he doesn't get the full amount of grain required for a full mineral balance.
                    1 small scoop MSM
                    1/2 scoop Electorlytes
                    Warm water to mix
                    2 lbs(or less) of straight alfalfa

They also get their Sand Clear when needed and have a salt block in the pasture.
                    ~"Three Phases, Two hearts, One Passion!"~
                    Peppy's Sweet Thing & Sweet Dreamin'

Comment

Fed once per day, both my horses each get:

18-25 lbs (depending on how cold it is) of a mix of 1st cut orchard, 2nd cut orchard and timothy, hung in hay bags to last 24hrs

and a hot steamy breakfast mash of:
                      8oz of beet pulp shreds (dry measure), soaked & rinsed
                      10oz of alfalfa cubes (dry measure) soaked
                      1oz of Uckele's Equi-VM
                      1oz iodized table salt
                      2oz Cocosoya
                      1oz WheatGerm oil
                      1/2c OmegaHorseshine
                      straight MSM (appx 20g)
                      MagOx 56% (appx 7g)

and here is their feedxl profile!
                      http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...s/74195b83.png

horses are a 30yr old retired mustang gelding, 1000# and an 11yr morgan gelding, 875#, in light work.
                      Last edited by buck22; Dec. 8, 2010, 02:12 PM.
                      Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Northern NV....weather varying...near zero nights last week, now in the upper 20's at night, days were 30's last week, will be mid 50's this week, windy the next couple days (up to 50mph) and possible snow at night.

22 horses out on desert "pasture". Each horse is getting 20-22 lbs straight alfalfa (15-16% tested) per day in two separate feedings. Two older horses that are harder to keep are also getting 4 pounds of complete senior feed twice a day. Salt/trace mineral blocks or locally made salt/trace mineral/vitamin licks in each field/pen. Fresh water all the time. No blankets. Approx 15 acres to move around on for mares on one side of property and for stallions/geldings on the other side. Land is rolling with good growth of sage/rabbitbrush and provides good windbreaks esp for winds from north and east.
                        Colored Cowhorse Ranch
                        www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
                        Northern NV

Comment

6 year old appaloosa mare

5 year old mule

8 year old POA cross mare

all get fed alfalfa /grass hay 2 times a day . They eat together and it takes almost all day to eat it. When it is really cold at night ( below zero) they get some grass hay to munch on overnight. All are easy keepers, no grain or supplements just mineral and salt blocks free choice and heated water at all times.

we are in west central Minnesota and temps have been below zero at night with highs in the teens and below.

Comment

7 yo paint gelding - trail horse - good weight
                            12 yo QH gelding - reiner / trail horse - a bit thin but gaining - he's new
                            13 yo QH gelding - pasture sound - a bit plump

We're in Northwestern Washington state where it's rainy and typically in the high-30's to mid-50's during the day. The horses are out 12-14 hours depending on weather, stalled the remainder. They don't have a run-in when out, but do have turnouts/blankets for inclement weather and can use the barn as a wind break. None are in heavy work, the two sound ones are ridden 2 days per week on average this time of year.

Hay
                            They get nice 2nd cut Orchard Grass hay 3 times a day They get a total of 10# each to share outside (split in 2 feedings) and then get an evening ration of 5 - 10# each in their stalls depending on their weight / needs.

"Grain"
                            The 7 yo and 13 yo each get 1/4# of Purina Equine Senior to hide their vitamins/minerals. The 12 yo gets 2# Equine Senior with his vit/mins.

Supplements
                            The 7 yo is the only one that gets other supplements - he gets SmartHoof for his crappy (almost grown out) feet and SmartDigest as his manure tends to soft. I may put the 12 yo on MSM later this month as his joints sound a bit "crackly" and he's just coming back into work after sitting for 2 years with his last owner.

Comment

My TB mare gets fed twice per day at boarding farm. She gets 1 and a 1/4 pound of a textured feed 11% protein,10% fiber,10% fat 2x per day with her supplements. She also gets a cup of BOSS in each feeding. The farm feeds a timothy hay presently, and she gets 2-3 flakes of hay (depending on size of flakes) am and pm. The days I go out (almost every day unless work or other obligations interupt) I give her 1-2 lbs of alfalfa forage and an extra 1-2 flakes of timothy/orchard hay in the winter.(I purchase some hay for traveling or extra supplementing). In the winter I give her some beet pulp well soaked with flax in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X