• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

So, I got the Blood Test Results today... :( Not good. UPDATE Pg. 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I got the Blood Test Results today... :( Not good. UPDATE Pg. 5

My mare is in liver failure.

I'm simply.... devastated. There isn't a whole lot we can do for her. The vet said to me, in the softest voice possible, that we were dealing with three things.

Anemia.
    IR
    Liver failure.

She said, "you tell me how aggressive you want to be. If you tell me you want to put her down, I won't argue." I couldn't help but tear up.

I think the plan is going to be just to support her... and let her tell me when she's ready. I'm not going to do anything heroic. I'm not going to put her through all kinds of testing. Just supportive, loving care.

I guess liver failure in horses is pretty darn rare. Just my luck.

I feel like she's had a good life with me. She's 19, almost 20... she's been pampered the entire time I have owned her. Since she was 4. She's my baby, my heart horse. I'll do my best by her, without wigging her out... it's not her style.
    Last edited by Liscar; Dec. 7, 2010, 01:02 PM. Reason: Update
    Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - My Horse, My Heart <3

Argh. I'm so sorry to hear this, and sorry for what you are facing. Hope you are able to give her some more good time, and wish you strength when that runs out.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

I'm so sorry.

I think your plan is a good one. She's lucky to have had such a great life with you.
      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Wow - I'm so sorry!

I've never had any experience with this in horses. What are the symptoms?

Comment

Originally posted by Liscar View Post

I'm simply.... devastated. There isn't a whole lot we can do for her. The vet said to me, in the softest voice possible, that we were dealing with three things.

Anemia.
          IR
          Liver failure.
          What were the values for the liver? If you haven't done so already, I would recommend doing a liver biopsy...that will give you a better idea of the extend of liver damage. Even moderate amount of liver damage can respond to supportive therapy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Larbear View Post
            What were the values for the liver? If you haven't done so already, I would recommend doing a liver biopsy...that will give you a better idea of the extend of liver damage. Even moderate amount of liver damage can respond to supportive therapy.
            Her GGT was 253. AST was 753.

I just don't want to put her through anything. The vet said she would not recommend a liver biopsy on her.

What kind of supportive therapy is there? Is there a certain way that is best to feed them? I guess I need to address her IR as well. Her Glucose is at 312. She is suspected of having Cushings as well, so she is on 1mg of Pergolide/day. Her diet was supposed to be "cool" for the Cushings (and IR), but with her glucose that high, I don't know!! She has lost so much weight. I'm not sure which way to go with her. The end is probably a lot closer than I wish to believe it is.

Comment

Jingling for your mare and you.

Comment

Her GGT was 253. AST was 753.

I just don't want to put her through anything. The vet said she would not recommend a liver biopsy on her.

What kind of supportive therapy is there? Is there a certain way that is best to feed them? I guess I need to address her IR as well. Her Glucose is at 312. She is suspected of having Cushings as well, so she is on 1mg of Pergolide/day. Her diet was supposed to be "cool" for the Cushings (and IR), but with her glucose that high, I don't know!! She has lost so much weight. I'm not sure which way to go with her. The end is probably a lot closer than I wish to believe it is.
                Is she still eating? If they're still eating ok that is a good sign. With my horse, his ALK was 440, AST 545 and GGT was 183. His SDH was was 12 and bile acid measurement was also quite high. Did you get an SDH and bile acid measurements as well? If not I would ask for those tests as well.

For supportive therapy, there is milk thistle (milk thistle seed powder, I fed or rather I am feeding about 1 tablespoon twice a day in the feed) and SAMe (5x425 mg/day...this is what was recommended to me by the equine hospital vet). the SAMe you can crush up and syringe. Flax seed is a good source of omega-3 fatty acid and good to help reduce inflammation. I would also look at minimizing the amount of protein being fed to decrease the load on the liver.

So if it were me, feed the supps mentioned and then retest the blood work in a week or two to see how the values are. In my case I did blood work after one week, then two, then three and then four weeks. I'm hoping next week will be my last set of blood work (all of his enzymes went back down in the normal range except for GGT...hoping this time round it will be in the normal range. As a timeline, this started for me or rather I caught it, back in early September). Good luck with your horse...hopefully your horse is still eating ok and responds to mild therapy.

Any idea what set this all off? Is she on other medications?
                Last edited by Larbear; Nov. 12, 2010, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oddly... I noticed a change in her when I switched her from Essential K (a ration balancer, made by Tribute Feeds/Kalmbach) to Purina Strategy Healthy Edge. BIG MISTAKE. That's when she dropped all her weight, started looking like absolute hell, etc. I switched her back to the Essential K and added Kalm Performer, but she has not recovered. She eats fine. What is SAMe?

The Blood Test results are in front of me, but I don't see the numbers you're talking about - SDH and bile acid measurement. Her ALK is 261.

She is on Pergolide, but all this happened before the Pergolide. All of this happened before anything. I suspected she was cushingoid. Vet thought her RB was too much protein (a different vet btw), which is why I switched her to the Strategy, and away we went... we've been on a downward spiral since.

Comment

Oddly... I noticed a change in her when I switched her from Essential K (a ration balancer, made by Tribute Feeds/Kalmbach) to Purina Strategy Healthy Edge. BIG MISTAKE. That's when she dropped all her weight, started looking like absolute hell, etc. I switched her back to the Essential K and added Kalm Performer, but she has not recovered. She eats fine. What is SAMe?

The Blood Test results are in front of me, but I don't see the numbers you're talking about - SDH and bile acid measurement. Her ALK is 261.

She is on Pergolide, but all this happened before the Pergolide. All of this happened before anything. I suspected she was cushingoid. Vet thought her RB was too much protein (a different vet btw), which is why I switched her to the Strategy, and away we went... we've been on a downward spiral since.
                    That's great that she is still eating (usually a positive sign for liver problems). My horse went off his feed for a bit.

SAMe is S-Adenosylmethionine. It is reported to help protect the liver cells from cell death and possible help in the repair process. You can buy it as Denosyl.

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/vet/products/Denosyl.aspx

SDH and bile acid measurement are add on tests...ie you need to ask for them in addition to regular CBC blood work or liver enzyme panels (or at least I did).

Comment

Anemia.
                      IR
                      Liver failure.

She said, "you tell me how aggressive you want to be. If you tell me you want to put her down, I won't argue." I couldn't help but tear up.

I think the plan is going to be just to support her... and let her tell me when she's ready. I'm not going to do anything heroic. I'm not going to put her through all kinds of testing. Just supportive, loving care.

I guess liver failure in horses is pretty darn rare. Just my luck.

I feel like she's had a good life with me. She's 19, almost 20... she's been pampered the entire time I have owned her. Since she was 4. She's my baby, my heart horse. I'll do my best by her, without wigging her out... it's not her style.

Liscar, I'm very sorry, and I feel that you are doing the right thing. Jingles!

Comment

So sorry to hear about your horse, thats just awful.

While I dont have a lot of experience with equine liver cancer, I deal with cats/dogs all the time with liver issues. There are a TON of drugs available to buy you time, and extend a quality life.

As another poster mentioned, at this point if you dont want to put her through further testing... I would hit her hard with Milk Thistle. Overdose her, it doesnt matter at this point. Its homeopathic (which I am usually not a fan of), but Ive known some patients to do VERY well on it.

Denosyl is also a popular in small animals, sounds like its also used in horses.

I have also heard of Ursodiol being used in foals with liver problems, not sure if that would be of any help...?

Anyway, Milk Thistle is cheap, and wont harm. Worth giving it a try, may make your horse feel a little bit better.

Jingles

Comment

Originally posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
                          As another poster mentioned, at this point if you dont want to put her through further testing... I would hit her hard with Milk Thistle. Overdose her, it doesnt matter at this point. Its homeopathic (which I am usually not a fan of), but Ive known some patients to do VERY well on it.

Denosyl is also a popular in small animals, sounds like its also used in horses.
                          Just wanted to clarify...milk thistle seed powder (the actual powder) is not homeopathic. It is used very frequently for liver damage (used for people, small animals (in fact there are products out there for cats and dogs that combine the active components of milk thistle, silymarins, with SAMe).

Comment

Jingles...she has lead a good life it sounds like and you will know the right time...............

Comment

Jingles... Leave it to CotH to have another poster (Larbear) going through the same thing. So much support on this board!

Comment

I don't have anything to add other than don't give up yet. I admire your courage in seeing the big picture and what is best for her, even if it is not what is best for your heart I will be thinking about you and hoping for her.

Comment

Best wishes- sounds like you're doing a great job for her.

Comment

Can I ask you a few questions, for my own research?

Feel free to not answer or PM.

Has this horse ever been power packed? If so, How often?
                                    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                    ---
                                    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

A friend of mine had her horse MISDIAGNOSED with liver failure...he was on pergolide for Cushings and was losing weight (pergolide can kill the appetite) and was generally listless and lethargic. She had $600 worth of blood work done and the vet misread it and said he was in liver failure...the vet was ready to euthanize but luckily my friend's husband is a doctor and questioned the blood work. They got a second opinion and it turned out the horse is simply anemic and needed to come off the pergolide. He is now eating, running around, gaining weight...I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd get a second opinion before doing anything drastic. I'm sorry for your news, though, and am sending jingles!
                                      JB-Infinity Farm
                                      www.infinitehorses.com

Comment

abbydp said it all, jingles
                                        Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Working...
                                        X