• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Wet Horse...at what temp. are they cold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Horse...at what temp. are they cold?

My horse is out in the downpoor..the barn is flooded so the horses are out in the fields (muddy but not deep). At what tempature do horses get cold in the rain? It 's 76degrees right now.

I have a turnout sheet without a hood but I'm not sure if it would make her anymore comfortable since she would be wet underneath it. Also have a med. blanket with a hood but that usually comes out in the 30's weather.

Just like people, horses seem to vary in their perception and tolerance of cold. Coat quality and fatness can also play a part in determining how the horse will handle the cold.

A tucked in bum ,followed by shivering are the signs I look for to tell if a horse is cold.

If you have more than one blanket, I have blanketed a wet horse with a layer of straw under the blanket to allow for air flow to dry the horse...and then swap blankets out later.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

At what temp are you cold?

This time of year, for my horses, without yet a full Winter coat, they get cold at a higher temperature, faster, when it's raining, than in Feb when they are fully fluffy.

We've had a LOT of rain here this week, it went from the 90's for the last couple of weeks, to low 60's-low 70's this week with some heavy rain. Yesterday's rain wasn't supposed to start until later in the day, but it was already raining heavily by the time I got them in for breakfast. 2 of them were REALLY cold, and it was "only" about 65*.

But if it warmed up to 65 in Jan and we got the same rain it would take much longer for them to get cold.

I have absolutely put a waterproof, breathable sheet on a wet horse in that type of temperature. The water on their body quickly warms up once the sheet is on, and the breathability of the sheet allows them to dry. I don't bother with hay/straw, since it won't stay on long anyway in turnout.

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay that's what I'll do then...after I pick my preschooler up I'll go put her turnout sheet on.

Comment

Unless its health is compromised for some reason a horse should be fine without anything at 75 degrees.

What humans feel as cold is different than what horses feel as cold. I put turnouts on if it's raining in the 30's and 40's. But if it's 50s or above mine would be sweating underneath a turnout.

I would check your mare to see if she's cold before throwing a turnout on. Does she have access to a shed or windbreak? My horses have been out in this storm all day and haven't headed to their shed once. While I find the weather miserable, they are perfectly happy to stand out in blowing rain at 69 degrees.

This article has good info: http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=13124
          Last edited by BestHorses; Sep. 30, 2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Horses have a much different tolerance for bad weather. My rule of thumb is if it's over 50 degrees and raining, they go out. No sheet necessary. And, at 76 degrees, I'd be concerned about creating an over-heated horse who will be sweaty! I've always been told when in doubt to under-blanket.

If your horse isn't even bothering to turn his back to the rain, then probably he couldn't care less. But, if he's shivering or with a tucked up behind, then he may be cold.

Truly, most horses are not bothered by what we consider icky weather.

Comment

Depends on the horse. One of mine needs a turnout sheet in the rain at 45 degrees with a wind. Others are fine no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by BestHorses View Post
                Unless its health is compromised for some reason a horse should be fine without anything at 75 degrees.
                Not necessarily true.

There is a time when some horses' coats are not up to the task of dealing with hours and hours of cold, heavy rain.

There is nothing health-compromising about my 2 horses who get cold. The 3rd horse who takes a lot longer to get cold is probably the most "compromised" of the 3, simply because he is IR.

Comment

My mare got her sheet on today, she has always been the thin skinned type and she was shivering like it was -20 out there! Poor thing. The other two weren't so bad, and believe it or not my oldest with arthritis was the one who wasn't concerned at all!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    At what temp are you cold?
                    She likely has no haircoat.

Comment

Originally posted by Androcles View Post
                      She likely has no haircoat.
                      Duh - the point was that it's not a black and white answer, what makes one horse or person cold is not a guarantee to make the next horse or person cold. It's like asking "how long is a string?"

Comment

I wouldn't put the TO sheet on at 76 degrees. Regardless of location or weather conditions (wind/rain), 76 degrees is still almost 80 degrees.
                        Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

But if the horse is COLD because of heavy rain, soaked skin...

76* coming out of Summer is not as warm as 76* coming into Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaideux View Post
                            Horses have a much different tolerance for bad weather. My rule of thumb is if it's over 50 degrees and raining, they go out. No sheet necessary. And, at 76 degrees, I'd be concerned about creating an over-heated horse who will be sweaty! I've always been told when in doubt to under-blanket.

If your horse isn't even bothering to turn his back to the rain, then probably he couldn't care less. But, if he's shivering or with a tucked up behind, then he may be cold.

Truly, most horses are not bothered by what we consider icky weather.
                            This has also been my experience. I have a 20 year old TB here that gets cold before anyone else. He seems to be fine if it's over 50-55 degrees-any less than that and he gets a rainsheet. I would also factor in wind-a wet horse in high winds in chilly temps would get cold very fast.

If they do come in shivering, I put a polarfleece cooler on them (it wicks the moisture rapidly while keeping them warm) with blankets on top until they stop shivering. Then I put the appropriate weight rainsheet/blanket on them.
                            http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

• Original Poster

I went out and put a turnout on her. When she saw that I had the blanket she headed right over (plus she wasn't grazing..just standing there). Started grazing when I left. Turnout doesn't have a neck on it but I guess it's better than nothing:0(

Right now it's it's 67degrees and breezy..not what it's going to be tonight since weather.com says it "should" 74 right now and is only going to drop to 70 tonight.

Comment

My daughter's 18 y.o. Arab is shivering at 68 degrees and wet. He's done that twice so far in the last four months.

I have to assume that it's his age plus a thin Arab coat and thin skin.

We've had him for three years and he didn't do this before. Also, he was an endurance horse and the previous owner didn't blanket unless it was down to 20.

But he's shivering at 68 and wet. So it just depends.
                                Laurie Higgins
                                www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

Depends on the horse- if it is shivering it is cold, and needs a sheet.

But my rule of thumb is about 45 deg in the rain for a rain sheet.
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I just went out to check on the herd. I was actually offering to bring them back in, but they are ungrateful wretches, and barely bothered to look up.

It is about 70F, and pouring, but, it is not a cold 70F...I was in a cami-top and jeans, and not chilled. Not surprising that they all thought I was nuts to ask them to come back in....oh wait, and the fact that they were on an ungrazed field might have had something to do with that as well.

Comment

None of mine wanted to come in out of the rain for dinner. Usually they come when I call, but this time I had to go out in the rain and lead them in.
                                      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I think wind is the telling factor. I am surprised by people blanketing in the PNW, for example. My mare had some too cold times in CO, but generally she prefers to be out in it, verses a stall.

Early in the season storm with a big temperature drop, rain to sleet to snow with wind. That is a recipe for sheets/blankies.

Originally posted by mkevent View Post
                                        If they do come in shivering, I put a polarfleece cooler on them (it wicks the moisture rapidly while keeping them warm) with blankets on top until they stop shivering. Then I put the appropriate weight rainsheet/blanket on them.
                                        Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                        X