• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pull-On Bell Boots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull-On Bell Boots

Exactly how do you get these on?

I needed new bells for Gus, as his current pair has bit the dust. Unfortunately the tack shop I stopped by today only had the pull-on ones.

Is it really as easy as turning it inside out and putting the hoof through the big "bell" first and then wedging the hoof through the narrow opening, then flipping the bell back out? Or, am I missing something?

Thanks!
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

It really is as easy as you described. Some pull-ons are easier to get on than others; I find the Alprima bell boots that Beval's sells the best in terms of ease of application and longevity. My guy lives in them 24/7 and a pair usually lasts him about 6 months.

If you find them difficult to stretch on, put them in some hot water for a few minutes. Helps them stretch easily

Comment

Pretty much that easy but you may find a short soak in very warm water will help as it softens the boot a bit and the water provides lubrication.
      Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Well, it's "that easy" if the boots are nice and pliable and not too small. I hate putting on bell boots, but if you have the right size and good quality ones, it's not TOO hateful.
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys. I wouldn't have thought about soaking/wetting with hot water. Definitely makes sense.

Now, how hard are they to remove? Or what do your farriers do with them when they are hot-setting shoes?
          See G2's blog
          Photos

Comment

They're not hard to remove; just pull them off with the foot in the air (you don't have to turn them inside out like you did when you put them on). I usually brace the foot on my leg to reduce torque on the leg.

Or you could flip the boot up and pull it up over the fetlock for shoeing. I cheat and do this when my BF shoes my horse - it doesn't get in the way of burning the shoe on

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tarynls View Post
              They're not hard to remove; just pull them off with the foot in the air (you don't have to turn them inside out like you did when you put them on). I usually brace the foot on my leg to reduce torque on the leg.

Or you could flip the boot up and pull it up over the fetlock for shoeing. I cheat and do this when my BF shoes my horse - it doesn't get in the way of burning the shoe on
              Thanks!
              See G2's blog
              Photos

Comment

To help pull them on, I usually brace my horse's knee against my knee (so if it was his right leg, it would be against my right knee, and my torso would be facing towards him - if that makes sense) so I have something to hold his leg steady while I pull.

I also brace his hoof against my knee while I pull them off.

Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

Comment

I turn mine inside out, and put Vaseline on the "inside" part that I just "made"....the part that will be rubbing against my horse's hoof and shoe to get on.....rest his leg on mine and pull. The vaseline has always helped. Once you get the hang of it, it will get easier. Good luck!

Comment

and really, stay away from non "gum" rubber types. There's something about that red rubber that is a lot easier than the black or white ones (except for alprimas).
                    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

so if your horse normally wears a size med in a velcro bell boot, would you order the same size in a gum pull-on? My guy just got new shoes on Thursday, and he's hard on bell boots. If I can get more life out of pull-ons, I"m inclined to learn to work with them, but it seems the key is getting the right size...
                      Cindy

Comment

at least with the dover brand boots I just bought, the sizes were identical.

Comment

Make sure they're big enough - #1

And #2 - buy the better brand. KL Select and Beval both make great pull ons. If you buy the cheap ones, you'll be struggling.

I prefer pull ons to anything. Just this last week a horse got gashed like you wouldn't believe from the velcro on his bell boots. Poor kid. Couldn't figure out why he was head bobbing but not lame at first until I went to take his boots off...

And to get them off - I just put the horse's hoof on my thigh, grab the top of the bell boot and just pull it off. Pretty soon the horses get the game and try to "help" you by pulling against your pressure. Sometimes they're helpful...sometimes, not so much.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I got them on... but boy were they a pain in the rear! The hot water trick helped, a bit. Glad I at least knew about that.

Next time I need to get new boots though, I'll be spending a few extra $$ and getting the nicer bells.
                            See G2's blog
                            Photos

Comment

I get them on pretty easily by facing backwards and positioning the horse's leg between my 2 legs with his knee in my crotch and my legs together at about a 45* angle.

That way, when I am pulling, I am pulling his foot/leg into my crotch and it is wedged in there so I have leverage.

As soon as the bell boot has cleared the shoe all the way around I let the foot drop and finish pulling the boot up with the foot in the ground. Then I turn them right side in and Bob's your Uncle!

When I take them off I face forward and put the hoof [on a towel] on my thigh. Then with 2 fingers on either side of the bulbs of the heel I get one side over the bulb, then the other. The bell boot slides right off.

If my horse still loses shoes or over reaches even with bell boots, I use 2 on each foot. The top bell boot holds the bottom one down so it can't lift up with each stride.

Once on, the horses live in their bell boots. If their legs get wet, I pull the boots up over their ankles and turn them inside out until the pasterns dry off. I also do this after I give the horses a bath or any other time the foot gets wet.

I buy the cheapest gum rubber bell boots and have always been happy with them.
                              "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

You want the ones that say they are made of Italian gum. Or made in Italy. Those are the ones that Beval carries. And, oddly, I have bought two pair of the Beval ones from Dover. They have Beval's ubiquitious "LTD" symbol on them. Clearly, the people that make them for Beval are also selling to Dover but think the LTD is innoquous enough to turn a blind eye. I guess?

Dover's
                                Beval's

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

I have found that the gum colored version of Dover boots (cheap cheap) as easy to pull on as the Al primas (not as cheap). The advantage of al primas is the Dover sizing runs small IMO (so small that my 3 year old in the 0 shoe wears a large - but then so does my older horse w/the size 2) and they only go to XL. So if you have a horse with a size 4 (I can speak with some experience here), you have to get the al primas because even the XL dover ain't cutting it. Also if you want to use a color other than gum, I would suggest al primas as well. Something about those non-natural color dovers that I do not find as stretchy...

Comment

Originally posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
                                    You want the ones that say they are made of Italian gum. Or made in Italy. Those are the ones that Beval carries. And, oddly, I have bought two pair of the Beval ones from Dover. They have Beval's ubiquitious "LTD" symbol on them. Clearly, the people that make them for Beval are also selling to Dover but think the LTD is innoquous enough to turn a blind eye. I guess?

Dover's
                                    Beval's
                                    I just ordered the KL Select ones from Smartpak - $29.99 and they list that they are made in Italy. I'll keep my fingers crossed that these are decent quality.
                                    Cindy

Comment

I used to buy the Italian Jumper ones from Dover, that were $24.90, then $26.90, now $29.90, while the length of time they lasted seemed to be decreasing year by year... so then decided to try the $9.90 version from Dover that also said "stretchy", these are really great, easy to get on, and seem to last just as long as the expensive Italian jumper ones. So would recommend trying those.
                                      http://www.doversaddlery.com/easy-st...1-0410/cn/120/
                                      these other $9.90 ones are good too
                                      http://www.doversaddlery.com/equi-st...1-0406/cn/120/

Comment

I agree with those who say to buy the more expensive brand. I like the Beval or the Italian Jumper ones from Dover.

One tip that I didn't see anyone else mention is to put hoof oil/conditioner on your horse's feet before pulling on the boots. I do this first, then flip the boots over and they slide pretty easily over the hoof. I also leave them on all the time. My farrier just pulls them up over the fetlock for shoeing.

Comment

Working...
                                        X